Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: '12 SEUC Making primary noises when clutch is out  (Read 4890 times)

Hound Dawg

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

'12 SEUC Making primary noises when clutch is out
« on: February 02, 2012, 09:21:50 PM »

Just pulled in from about 50 miles (up to 150 so far in one week) on my '12 SEUC.  (Hey that's not bad for January in Ohio)

Anyway.....I used my GPS thru the speakers to find a place and it worked flawlessly.  Nice feature!

I pull in to my driveway.....put it in neutral and let out the clutch so I can open the garage door (Yes....no door opener yet).....and this sound comes from the motor (I think the primary) that sounds like a belt primary spinning....kinda hard to explain otherwise....but I'm sure you've heard the belt primaries before.   I had never heard this before on this bike....but again I only have 150 miles.  I pull in the clutch and it goes away.....I let it out and back comes that rattle as though the primary chain is loose.  I pull the bike into the garage and I think I hear, while I'm jostling the bike back and forth to get in position, a couple of slaps of the chain against the inner primary....although only guessing at this point. 
I even smelled a burning smell (as opposed to that glorious new bike smell that I experienced for the first 100 miles).  Could this be the stock mufflers burning out....or my worst nightmare....the primary chain burning the auto-tensioner due to lack of fluid.  If the latter is the case....you think I would have smelled is after a 70 miles day earlier this week. 

Soo....does anyone have any clues on this one? 
Would someone mind going out to their '12 SEUC or something similar and starting it in neutral and listening to the primary sound with and without the clutch engaged?
Should I have them come and get it?....or ride it to them? 
Should I open the derby cover and check for fluid or, again, tell them to take care of it.

Sucks really....as I really don't want to have to deal with them taking off the primary cover this soon and "fixing" it.....which will probably result in "weeping" at the primary gasket.

Anyway.....any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kinda disappointed,

HD
Riding since '82.  Harley's since '93
'94 Dyna Wide Glide
'97 Road King
'95 Softail Custom
'00 Road king
'03 Ultra
'07 Street Glide
'12 CVO Ultra
'18 Street Glide Special
'19 CVO Limited

SG Racer

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG2, Black Diamond/ Inferno Orange
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG, Cherry
Re: '12 SEUC Making primary noises when clutch is out
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 09:39:51 PM »

I would probabaly have the dealer look at it. Most good dealers will come and pick up. I would not ride it any farther until problem is addressed. If you do not want the dealer coming to pick it up, trailer it to them. You should not have to be out anything. You bought the top of the line bike and you should not be having trouble. But it does happen.
 Sounds like it is what you are saying, lack of oil. Good luck.
 Ray
D&D Fat Cat W/Ghost pipe
Custom leather seat
12" Yaffe Monkey Bagger Bars
SEPST
93Hp, 116Tq

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 11:33:06 PM »

Sounds like the clutch bearing is making some noise.  Had the same thing on my 12 for the first couple thousand miles then it stopped.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

MadCVORG

• '11 FLTRUSE
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 12:13:03 AM »

Have your dealer check it out. My compensator bolt came loose at 75 miles. Best to get it checked out.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 08:28:30 AM »

Hard to say until you got in there to look.. Hell, it's only a two beer job and a $18 dollar gasket, unless you find somthing really bad. Then let your warranty do the work... Either you or the dealer, you need to get it checked out.. :2vrolijk_21:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 08:38:18 AM »

Just a guess,.... broke spring pack in the comp sprocket...slapping comes and goes.
It shoulda gonna away with the -08A PN unlike all the earlier ones but no telling with HD...Prolly a factory incorrect install if it is....

Thats what is was in my 09 was jussayin...good luck, sorry about your troubles but not surprised to hear they cant build em right, its only been near 110 years.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 08:41:43 AM »

Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but my 2010 SEUC made the exact same noise and I also started to get pinging and poor performance. After 2 motor changes all the weird noises went away and I have had 18,000 plus miles with not one hiccup. I have learned after owning 2 SEUC that it takes patients and that love /hate relationship with Harley to get all the bugs worked out of that 110 motor. As it was suggested take the bike in to your dealer and have them go over it with a master tech. They are not suppose to clack in neutral!!
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 10:13:34 AM »

Mines doin the same thing. we pulled off the primary to look and couldnt find anything obvious. ernies quit so im hoping mine will too

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 10:34:13 AM »

Give it the ol beat in break in ..the spring pack in the comp was cracked so it would jump on and off itself...very bad...HD said normal...I fix myself....they can kiss my Chip.... ::) :P

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 11:20:47 AM »

I realize this is for a different problem , but would the proceedure below adjust the chain to the correct tension..

Here's a trick to reduce the constant engine noise that sounds like valve train noises on the newer 96 Cu In. bikes that have the auto adjusting primary chain tensioners and no inspection port.
I tried this on my RKC and can notice a definite improvement. The problem seems to be coming from the primary chain and not really the valve train at all.

Here's what you do. Accelerate from a stop in first gear rather hard to about 30 MPH and then brake rather hard using only the rear brake without locking up the wheel and don't pull in the clutch until the bike slows enough.
Do this 2-3 times in succession and you'll notice that the noise that you thought was the valve train is almost completely gone now. Low speed riding is a bit smoother also due to less play in the chain.

By doing this, the automatic primary chain will ratchet up a bit tighter if it was loose before this. The acceleration and braking causes slack in the lower strand of the chain and will ratchet it up tighter if it needed an adjustment.

If it wasn't loose there will be no noted difference.
That is most likely the noise that was heard and not the valve train at all.

Sounds strange but try it!

I got this from another forum but did give it a try and worked for me.

glens

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 12:16:42 PM »

I would suggest waiting until everything was well up to operating temperature before doing that.  It could end up too tight when hot if performed cold.

I had an '09 FLHTCU that I had to replace with a '12 (same model).  The '12 has the "SE" compensator in it the same as you have.  The compensator's a lot noisier (at least was early on) than the earlier version stock unit.  Looking at photos of these new units disassembled after some time on them it appears as though they're not as precisely made as they should be and they take a while to get "comfortable" with themselves.  That may be all you have going on.

I wouldn't worry about having the primary cover removed.  At so few miles as you've got on it a new gasket probably won't even be required.  It should remain weep-free regardless.

If you fire it up again before doing anything else with it, take an old piece of broom handle and "listen" around with it.  Maybe you can determine a little better just where this noise you're hearing originates.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 01:34:06 PM »

My suggestion since you have a new under warranty bike is take the bike back to your dealer and let them(Master Tech) analyze your bike and let him/her perform any procedure to adjust tension on the compensator. :2vrolijk_21:
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 03:32:05 PM »

Check with your local dealer,,,,,, there is a tsb on your very complaint.
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 04:54:08 PM »

Check with your local dealer,,,,,, there is a tsb on your very complaint.

And what does that Technical Service Bulletin say?  I'm taking bets on "They all do that, it's normal".  Not that it is normal, they just like to say that a lot.

There have been many reports on new bikes over the past couple years of a similar situation caused by the primary chain auto adjuster being stuck and not taking up slack in the chain.  That would be my first thought, followed by a bad compensator (broken thrust washers will make lots of noise, for instance).  Regardless, the #1 answer is, take it to the dealer ASAP and let them either fix it (good dealer) or blow you off (average dealer).

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 09:46:44 PM »

And what does that Technical Service Bulletin say?  I'm taking bets on "They all do that, it's normal".  Not that it is normal, they just like to say that a lot.

There have been many reports on new bikes over the past couple years of a similar situation caused by the primary chain auto adjuster being stuck and not taking up slack in the chain.  That would be my first thought, followed by a bad compensator (broken thrust washers will make lots of noise, for instance).  Regardless, the #1 answer is, take it to the dealer ASAP and let them either fix it (good dealer) or blow you off (average dealer).

Jerry

Jer,

i tried to find on another forum & attatch the link :nixweiss: my dad has a  12 SG with the same condition
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 21 queries.