Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Author Topic: Question for you Trailer Pullers  (Read 12229 times)

Musclehead

Question for you Trailer Pullers
« on: April 18, 2010, 09:06:45 PM »

My wife is planning to take some longer trips with me and believes we need a trailer for all her stuff - unless I can make it a week with one pair of jeans. I've tried to search for previous topics, but there no way to narrow the search to trailers that motorcycles pull versus trailers motorcycles ride in, so I haven't found anything useful. I've researched sites for American Legend, N-Line and Bushtec, but they don't offer the advantages they offer over their competitors. All I have to go on is price and looks. Can any of you with experience pulling trailers give me some pointers to consider? I'll be pulling it with a 2010 CVO Ultra Classic. Thanks for your help.

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
Re: Question for you Trailer Pullers
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 09:11:37 PM »

I have pulled a single wheel trailer with a mchitch .Trailer fit in motel rooms elevators and haul enough stuff for 5 days.  http://www.uni-go.com/ is web site .  good luck jdo

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 09:18:33 PM »

My wife is planning to take some longer trips with me and believes we need a trailer for all her stuff - unless I can make it a week with one pair of jeans. I've tried to search for previous topics, but there no way to narrow the search to trailers that motorcycles pull versus trailers motorcycles ride in, so I haven't found anything useful. I've researched sites for American Legend, N-Line and Bushtec, but they don't offer the advantages they offer over their competitors. All I have to go on is price and looks. Can any of you with experience pulling trailers give me some pointers to consider? I'll be pulling it with a 2010 CVO Ultra Classic. Thanks for your help.

I have a Bushtec Quantum....and I love it. 

A design advantage...the suspension does not bounce...you can't make it bounce.... 

A design disadvantage...the suspension utilizes air shocks in the design, which have to be pumped up with each use, everyday of a trip...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Musclehead

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 09:33:30 PM »

The no-bounce feature sounds attractive. How much trouble is airing the suspension? Is it just a matter of doing it, or is the air valve like getting to the air suspension on a ultra classic - requires some parts removal for access?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 09:37:14 PM »

The no-bounce feature sounds attractive. How much trouble is airing the suspension? Is it just a matter of doing it, or is the air valve like getting to the air suspension on a ultra classic - requires some parts removal for access?

It is easily accessible for the hand pump.  It is just a matter of doing it.  If you care to, you can always add an onboard compressor and just push a button.  There is a compressor system made for the application.   :2vrolijk_21:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 09:38:55 PM »

No doubt you'll find lots of folks with strong feelings for their particular brand - and each does have pluses and minuses.  I've had two different Bushtec trailers (both their Turbo +2 model) and like them.  IMO their suspension is superior to other makes and I like their larger diameter wheels - just personally don't care for the smaller 'boat trailer' type wheels.  I don't have any problem with the air suspension and rarely have to adjust it on a trip - maybe once - and I've been on three week road trips with mine.  And Bushtec uses a heim joint vs the standard ball type for its hitch.  This allows for more range of motion and I think is a better choice for motorcycle trailers since they move up/down, side to side and also lean.

As for other brands, the American Legend does look more 'harleyish' as its top model has fenders over the wheels and uses Harley style brake lights.  It is a good looking rig.  Personally, I do not care for the single wheels trailers - too small and I just don't care for the look with a big dresser.

So different models for different preferences.  Good luck with whatever make you decide on.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 09:45:15 PM »

Have a Bushtec also.  To join the chorus the suspension makes the trailers easy to handle and safer behind you.  Other rigs are nice too.  Have seen and liked the American Legends also.

Following on what Jerry said I've not had to add a little air each day on a trip.  The camber on the trailer tires changes significantly with variations in the pressure so you can see it visually if you've lost pressure.

Bushtec has a model called a Roadstar also.  Slightly smaller internal volume than the units Jerry and Scott mention.  But does look more Harley-ish to my eyes.  That's a subjective thing that will be different for every set of eyes though.  The Roadstar looks like this:

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 10:03:27 PM »

I have a Turbo 2+2 and you have to remember it is back there.  I found mine used from the Bushtec Forum from Bushtec's website.  About the only real change they have made is that they went with a longer tongue in or around 1996 if you are buying used.

I am fortunate not to have to add air while on a trip either (even though I carry the pump)..

Musclehead

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 04:58:41 AM »

Thanks for your input. This is helpful.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 09:18:24 AM »

I pulled an American Legend for years of carefree touring.  The only trailer I ever pulled so I can't really compare to others... All I can say is I loved my American Legend.

When my wife started riding her own Ultra there was little need for the trailer, so I sold it to a buddy who in the past 5 years has put over 35,000 on it and he says it still pulls like a dream.

Good luck with your decision. With so many great products on the market nowadays, it will most likely come down to personal preference on looks.

Enjoy touring this summer and at least now you can take 2 pairs of jeans!
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

mattman22033

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 10:27:30 AM »

I have had my Uni-Go since August 2007. Never had any problems with it. It is small enough you can wheel into your hotel room like rolling luggage...that always gets some interesting looks. I won't go on a 2-up week long trip without it.
http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u228/mattman22033/
2011 Road Glide Ultra - V&H Propipe Chrome, SE intake, SEPST
2007 FLHRSE3 - Big Inch Power
2002 FLHRSEi - For Sale
2006 Road Glide - gone
2002 Fat Boy - gone
2002 Ultra - long gone

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 10:37:47 AM »

Sounds like you plan to use the trailer often?
Price and looks.
What is your preference for both?
Most all the trailers on the market will "do the job".

I bought the cheapest trailer I could find for my '09 (not the flashiest, but, it worked flawlessly) and went on a 22,000 mile tour last summer......NO problems with the setup at all.
Pulling the trailer seemed to make the bike handle better in crosswinds, but, it coulda been just the '09 frame?
Now, the wife is not into camping anymore, and we don't pack as much gear.
This rig weighed close to 400 lbs when I checked on the road.
Good luck in your search, I think you will not mind the "extra load" you just have to slow down a bit.
 :2vrolijk_21:
HOGMIKE

Ultra2010

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 11:04:38 AM »

I have been pulling a Bushtec since 1989.  I heard you can get an electric onboard air pump, call Andrew at Bushtec and I'm sure he can point you in the correct direction.  I like their trailers, light, solid quality, etc....  I also REALLY like the American Legend rigs....   I don't know much about the other brands out there but with either a Bushtec or A/L, you really can't go wrong.   The Bushtec hitch pin is a lot cleaner looking.  I even use it for going to Costco and most other grocery shopping I get stuck doing! 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 11:06:32 AM by Ultra2010 »

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 12:11:20 PM »

In my mind the 1st & most important thing to decide is "how big a trailer do I need/want"  The reason I say that is the cargo size varies dramatically.
I have the UniGo, we love it, it is exactally what we needed & wanted, but it is only 5 cu ft in storage vs the Bushtec which I believe is 26 cu ft.  Others range in size in between.

Fo us the Unigo is just like a big suitcase.  Everything goes in it that need to come into the room, the stuff that doesn't come in get packed in the Saddle Bags.

Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

5.56mm

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 BLK #919
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 03:02:56 PM »

I'm selling my Aero Quickstar for half of the price of a new one.  The way it is built, you don't have much weight on the back of your bike and it won't wobble behind you. Just well balanced and 19 cu.ft of storage!!!

See it at:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=48172.0

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 03:48:42 PM »

I did find this out from my dealer that someone came in for a repair on his bike( I think a chain tensioner) and was having in covered under warranty. An HD spokesman came out to ok the repair and found a hitch attached to the bike and denied the repair. Just some food for thought.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 03:54:01 PM »

I did find this out from my dealer that someone came in for a repair on his bike( I think a chain tensioner) and was having in covered under warranty. An HD spokesman came out to ok the repair and found a hitch attached to the bike and denied the repair. Just some food for thought.

I understand your concern.  Each dealer is different towards a hitch. If I break down at home, I will take it off.

If I'm unfortunate enough to break down on the road-I am at the mercy of the dealer.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 03:59:06 PM »

I've owned two Bushtecs and was happy with both.  If I were doing it again, it would be a Bushtec.

I didn't adjust the air everyday.  I would adjust it when I'd load the trailer for a trip......then just try to repack it

pretty much the same way each day.

It's amazing how much you can pack in a Bushtec and it still doesn't affect the bike that much.  The main thing is (same for pulling any trailer) it requres just a bit more stopping distance.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 04:02:51 PM »

They're not supposed to deny a warranty repair unless the damage is directly related to the modification.  I pulled a Bushtec for four years (the dealership installed the hitch) and it was never an issue for warranty work.

If you've got a dealership that's denying warranty work because of a trailer hitch what they're really saying is they don't want your business.......it's time to go find another dealership. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 04:39:15 PM »

I've owned two Bushtecs and was happy with both.  If I were doing it again, it would be a Bushtec.

I didn't adjust the air everyday.  I would adjust it when I'd load the trailer for a trip......then just try to repack it

pretty much the same way each day.

It's amazing how much you can pack in a Bushtec and it still doesn't affect the bike that much.  The main thing is (same for pulling any trailer) it requres just a bit more stopping distance.

hehehe.... o.k. - o.k. ... uncle....  ::)

I spent some time today looking at the tubing that connects to the air shocks on my Bushtec...and I found a small leak at a fitting...and I fixed it.  Now I can probably say I don't need to add air each day also!   :2vrolijk_21:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 06:11:45 PM »

I have an older Bushtec and love it. They first came out with the Ultimate which is shorter and uses smaller width tires (2.50 v. 3.0) and slightly different suspension. I've run it with a blown shock (rare) and it still got me home ok...so I guess the air thing is no big deal. The only big disadvantage with Bushtec is their proprietary tires which are hard to find on the road so get one with a mounted spare and take along some extra tubes. You will forget its there most of the time, so enjoy whatever you get. If you want a laugh and see what the frame looks like, check this out.  

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=22680.0

Doc
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 06:14:59 PM by grandpadoc »

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 06:25:54 PM »

I spent some time today looking at the tubing that connects to the air shocks on my Bushtec...and I found a small leak at a fitting...and I fixed it.  Now I can probably say I don't need to add air each day also!   :2vrolijk_21:
All right!  Glad you found the problem because you should not have to adjust it that often.  Seems like I always do have to add some air the first or second day out for some reason even though I check everything after I initially load it.  But after that I'm pretty much good to go with no further attention.

IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 06:29:16 PM »

I have an older Bushtec and love it. They first came out with the Ultimate which is shorter and uses smaller width tires (2.50 v. 3.0) and slightly different suspension. I've run it with a blown shock (rare) and it still got me home ok...so I guess the air thing is no big deal. The only big disadvantage with Bushtec is their proprietary tires which are hard to find on the road so get one with a mounted spare and take along some extra tubes. You will forget its there most of the time, so enjoy whatever you get. If you want a laugh and see what the frame looks like, check this out.  

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=22680.0

Doc
Doc it is a big deal on mine - don't know about your 'older' model.  If you were completely without air then the wheels have a severe negative camber and you're just dragging the trailer because there is a lot of rolling resistance.  Met a fellow several years ago with that problem and turned out that he had a leak at a connection.  We just removed the tubing and re-inserted it and problem fixed.  Said he'd been dragging it for a couple days and his gas mileage was shot to heck and back.

IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 06:32:39 PM »

Well the owners manual does specifically say not to pull a trailer and it can void the warranty.  Never had a problem thank goodness.  Once when I had to have mine inspected for an extended service engine repair the dealer pulled the hitch just in case.  Had a breakdown once on the road (bad voltage regulator) and the tech told me that H-D flags vin numbers that they catch with trailer hitches but he checked and mine was not flagged.  He did not care but I guess you cannot be too careful.  With that being said my local dealer became a stocking dealer for American Legend last year.  Go figure!

IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 06:34:43 PM »

They're not supposed to deny a warranty repair unless the damage is directly related to the modification.  I pulled a Bushtec for four years (the dealership installed the hitch) and it was never an issue for warranty work.

If you've got a dealership that's denying warranty work because of a trailer hitch what they're really saying is they don't want your business.......it's time to go find another dealership. :2vrolijk_21:
He said it was an H-D spokesman.  I kind of figured it was a rep who came by to inspect his bike.  That happened to mine when I was having all the '110' problems.  Don't know if they called in the regional rep or if he just happened by when they were working on it.  Anyway they said he looked it over and I did have the hitch on it but nothing was said.  Luck of the draw it seems.

IBA member # 45520

Ultra2010

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2010, 06:49:22 PM »

Gotta prove it's not for a flag mount!!!!!!!!!!!!!  HUGE legal issue there. Just pull your harness first.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 06:53:19 PM by Ultra2010 »

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2010, 07:01:12 PM »

I pull a motorvation Engineering trailer that I bought on E bay, it pulls great and I never have to mess with air pressure.  I have had Bushtecs and others, but prefer one that I do not have to mess with.  It is all up to the individual, there are many great trailers out there, just make sure you don't get a leaf spring trailer, they tend to bounce.  Here it is on a previous E Glide

http://motorvation.com/trpic18.htm
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2010, 07:03:46 PM »

Another shot, small enough to be light but big enough for all your wifes needs.  Plus I have a huge cooler.  By the way N-Line is a killer looking trailer behind a Harley.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 07:14:11 PM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2010, 07:14:01 PM »

Doc it is a big deal on mine - don't know about your 'older' model.  If you were completely without air then the wheels have a severe negative camber and you're just dragging the trailer because there is a lot of rolling resistance.  Met a fellow several years ago with that problem and turned out that he had a leak at a connection.  We just removed the tubing and re-inserted it and problem fixed.  Said he'd been dragging it for a couple days and his gas mileage was shot to heck and back.

The tires took a beating too, but it still got me home ok. I really didn't notice anything different with the ride quality or gas mileage, but I did change out the worst tire to get me home. We put about 5K on it last summer and my wife is very happy she can take more stuff and I like the bike handling much better than a loaded rack and TP. The Bushtec hitch is the best I've seen, you have to point out the receiver to people for them to find it. We will be ging coast to coast with it this summer.  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=48362.0
Doc
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 07:21:19 PM by grandpadoc »

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG & 2011 Ultra -Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2010, 07:43:34 PM »

Well I own two bushtec's now and just love them Soozie will have her own there so easy to load and pull you don't know that there back there.!

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2010, 08:18:22 PM »

I did a lot of research before I bought my Bushtec. I like the light weight,
125 lbs, and the volume 26 cu/ft. I have the Quantum and love it.
I see now they are running some special, $250 off some stock models.
I also know, Ron's Power Sports, in Nebraska is dealing, if you push!!
Ron's is the largest Bushtec dealer, you can find him on the Bushtec website.

I don't know about the rest of you, but my BH FILLS the trailer, I mean
FILLS IT! 26 cu/ft is not enough sometimes!!!
The "TAZMUN"

Musclehead

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2010, 08:27:47 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback. I had a discussion with American Legends today. Wouldn't you know it they are just finishing up a customer order with matching paint to the Hot Citrus and Burnt Amber 2010 CVO. He said that was one intricate, and expensive, paint job. The pictures he sent of the painted parts looked great.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2010, 09:07:38 PM »

I did a lot of research before I bought my Bushtec. I like the light weight,
125 lbs, and the volume 26 cu/ft. I have the Quantum and love it.
I see now they are running some special, $250 off some stock models.
I also know, Ron's Power Sports, in Nebraska is dealing, if you push!!
Ron's is the largest Bushtec dealer, you can find him on the Bushtec website.

I don't know about the rest of you, but my BH FILLS the trailer, I mean
FILLS IT! 26 cu/ft is not enough sometimes!!!

I purchased my Bushtec thru Ron's Power Sports.  Easy to deal with - smooth deal and great price...  :2vrolijk_21:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2010, 10:27:03 PM »

Here is a 1986 Bushtec in Levenworth, Wa for $1800.00

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/1986-Bushtec-TURBO-96723740
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2010, 02:48:20 AM »

All right!  Glad you found the problem because you should not have to adjust it that often.  Seems like I always do have to add some air the first or second day out for some reason even though I check everything after I initially load it.  But after that I'm pretty much good to go with no further attention.

I did that every night after a long day and one night in the Redwoods Matt (Screamin_Beagle) and I broke two pumps, blew up a shock, and flattened two tires...but I ain't say'n what we were smokin. :-\  Doc

Bojiboy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire and Stardust Silver
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2010, 09:48:18 AM »

We have the Bushtec Quantum Sport and absolutely love it. Pulls great and has lots of capacity. The wife can still fill it up though. Originally didn't think we'd ever need a trailer, now don't think we could do without it...
2012 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire and Stardust Silver
2006 FLHTCUSE (traded in)
2005 FLHRCI (sold)
Single enclosed trailer

redrodo

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2016 CVO Limited
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2010, 04:34:57 PM »

Here's the Bushtec Roadstar new CVO paint job. Really like the trailer.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 04:36:39 PM by redrodo »

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2010, 05:21:34 PM »

Bushtec does a really good job on paint matching the CVOs. 

IBA member # 45520

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2010, 05:31:05 PM »

This is what I pull, it's a Sarasota trailer built by "Built Rite Trailers"

Can hardly tell it's back there...............but as stated before increase your stopping distance. 17.2 cu ft

2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2010, 06:46:31 PM »

Or, ship your clothes and other essentials to the places you are staying and use the boxes to return the dirty stuff back to your home... Shiptech
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2010, 06:49:17 PM »

I have my wiring plug in under seat and plug is on reciever so un less trailer is on bike I have a flag or cooler mount.

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2010, 06:56:56 PM »

Or, ship your clothes and other essentials to the places you are staying and use the boxes to return the dirty stuff back to your home... Shiptech

I have done that too, but you can't tour and do it. You have to homestead somewhere for a few days.

I like hauling the trailer, and the wife won't let me leave home without it. If her blow-dryer goes so does the trailer. :nixweiss:
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2010, 07:29:41 PM »

24 hours later and the gage hasn't moved...still holding pressure right where I put it... :nervous:  I guess I should have fixed this about a year ago!   ::)
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Musclehead

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2010, 08:57:10 PM »

24 hours later and the gage hasn't moved...still holding pressure right where I put it... :nervous:  I guess I should have fixed this about a year ago!   ::)

Glad my post helped more than me.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2010, 08:59:24 PM »

We have the Bushtec Quantum Sport and absolutely love it. Pulls great and has lots of capacity. The wife can still fill it up though. Originally didn't think we'd ever need a trailer, now don't think we could do without it...
Nice looking rig, did Bushtec paint the trailer?
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2010, 09:36:25 PM »

I pull an American Legend Bandit with the cooler mounted on the tongue. Mine is black and no frills, goes with everything. ;)
I can't blame the wife for carrying too much stuff. I pull it when I travel solo just because I don't want all the extra weight on the bike and I like the way it stabilizes the bike when on the road.

Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Bojiboy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2010, 11:27:29 PM »

Nice looking rig, did Bushtec paint the trailer?

They sure did. Sent them a side cover for color match. The quality is absolutely top notch!
2005 FLHRCI (sold)
Single enclosed trailer

Ultra2010

« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2010, 02:30:50 PM »

They sure did. Sent them a side cover for color match. The quality is absolutely top notch!

How long did it take them?? 

Bojiboy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2010, 02:23:22 PM »

Boy, I don't remember. Ordered it new and had it shipped but I don't remember the total time. I'll check the paperwork when I get home tonight....
2005 FLHRCI (sold)
Single enclosed trailer

bikerbum11

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • U.P. Cruising
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2010, 08:43:33 PM »

I have a American Legend Sport that has a boat load of miles on it. Same thing, hate to leave home without it. I just sent mine out to be color matched to our new bike. We should see it back in 3-4 weeks. I'll post pics once it's done..
2015 CVO Limited

Bojiboy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2010, 11:13:17 PM »

Took about three weeks from order date to completion. Took about another week for it to arrive by truck. They do a really great job of packing it in a crate. Arrived in pristine condition.
2005 FLHRCI (sold)
Single enclosed trailer

Ultra2010

« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2010, 11:30:04 PM »

Took about three weeks from order date to completion. Took about another week for it to arrive by truck. They do a really great job of packing it in a crate. Arrived in pristine condition.

Sorry, guess what I ment was how long did they have your bike part to do the color match....  they sent it back before the trailer didn't they???

Bojiboy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2010, 11:33:54 PM »

Sorry, guess what I meant was how long did they have your bike part to do the color match....  they sent it back before the trailer didn't they???

OK, I get it. No, they kept it the entire time but that was because it was during the winter. They had asked if I wanted it back right away so I imagine it would have been back in a a week or so......
2005 FLHRCI (sold)
Single enclosed trailer

Phoenixbiker

• CVO1: 09 Ruby Red SEEG
    • CVO2: (non) 94 Red FLHTUC
    • CVO3: (non) 82 FXR
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2010, 06:53:46 AM »

The photo attached is my current trailer wrong colour, wrong bike but you get the idea. Now painted black with Harley logo's . I know photos please. In Oz many trailers are Classic Industries who produce a range up to 600lt (21cu ft). The best part of my trailer is the integrated cooler. I have also had a top bag made to fit to the chrome work on the lid for the 'big' trips where one needs 'options' for different 'climes.

No problems going but stopping and parking are the biggest differences with gas station gutters at low speed the worst.
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up space!

Musclehead

« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2010, 08:08:04 PM »

The decision is done and money half gone. I ordered an American Legend - Legend with CVO color match (Hot Citrus & Burnt Amber). I'm planning to ride out to pick it up in about 6 weeks. Bob Darling was very helpful and patient. If you're interested in a quality trailer to match your CVO, check out their web site:  http://www.american-legend.com/links.aspx  This is a case of getting what you pay for, so be prepared for sticker shock. Matching the current CVO bikes is a labor intensive process. Thanks for the input from you guys.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2010, 08:16:02 PM »

Congratulations on making what I believe is the right decision... You will love it!

Don't be concerned about the money... Just think of it as another accessory.

Of course we'll patiently wait (about 48 days) for pictures of your new rig to appear on this thread.  :2vrolijk_21:

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 08:17:33 PM by Grizzly »

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2010, 08:53:58 PM »

The decision is done and money half gone. I ordered an American Legend - Legend with CVO color match (Hot Citrus & Burnt Amber). I'm planning to ride out to pick it up in about 6 weeks. Bob Darling was very helpful and patient. If you're interested in a quality trailer to match your CVO, check out their web site:  http://www.american-legend.com/links.aspx  This is a case of getting what you pay for, so be prepared for sticker shock. Matching the current CVO bikes is a labor intensive process. Thanks for the input from you guys.

Sounds like you did your homework and made an excellent choice!
Enjoy. :2vrolijk_21:
HOGMIKE

Bojiboy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2010, 10:01:13 AM »

Congratulations! You'll love it. Having a trailer makes traveling much easier. Don't forget the pictures when you get it!  :2vrolijk_21:
2005 FLHRCI (sold)
Single enclosed trailer

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2010, 06:58:25 PM »

Oh boy.........................Once you get a trailer you'll never go without.

Congratulations your gonna love pulling it.

I always hated putting the wife's blow dryer in the Tour Pak. All hotels have them anyway, but I still have to tote it around :)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2010, 08:34:24 PM »

Great to read you made a choice you sound so pleased with.  They are nice looking rigs.  Think of all the stuff she can buy on road trips now.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2010, 08:51:38 PM »

Great to read you made a choice you sound so pleased with.  They are nice looking rigs.  Think of all the stuff she can buy on road trips now.

Wife and I went to a local "home show" today. I told her that the trailer needed "fixing" and we couldn't take it.
Long story short: She didn't buy all the "crap" they sell at these shows because we didn't have room to pack it on the bike!
When we do the long rides, it's full of our gear, still no room to pick up stuff on the trip other than post cards!
 :2vrolijk_21:
HOGMIKE

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2010, 08:55:54 PM »

The decision is done and money half gone. I ordered an American Legend - Legend with CVO color match (Hot Citrus & Burnt Amber). I'm planning to ride out to pick it up in about 6 weeks. Bob Darling was very helpful and patient. If you're interested in a quality trailer to match your CVO, check out their web site:  http://www.american-legend.com/links.aspx  This is a case of getting what you pay for, so be prepared for sticker shock. Matching the current CVO bikes is a labor intensive process. Thanks for the input from you guys.

Congratulations on a great choice of trailers, now you don't even have to drive the car to the grocery store.  Allows more ride time and the ability to haul your goodies.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 11:56:04 AM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

Raza51

• Full CVO Member
  • Ready to Roll

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2010, 10:01:27 PM »

I had trouble finding a trailer plug for my 2010SESG and Bob D came thru for me.  We went to his place and he gave us the tour....excellent people....
Chico
2012 Convertible
2009 Timeout Easy Camper
2008 Dodge 2500 Cummins
2009 FS2300 Weekend Warrior
Harleys come in many colors, mine is Red, White and Blue!

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2010, 02:53:09 PM »

For me AMERICAN LEGEND is the only way to go. Yes it's expensive. Mine retailed for 7,200,00. This was for a custom CVO 2008 SEUC. They did an excellent job. That included having the hitch painted to match. Plug and play wiring harness, everything optional. Found a blisted in the paint 4 months later, called Mr. Darling and he had another one for me in 4 weeks with no questions asked. I have pulled the trailer up to speeds of 90 mph with no problems. I could have purchased a basic black one for under 3000.00 but I wanted one to match the bike. This is just my opinion for what it's worth.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2010, 03:19:20 PM »

For me AMERICAN LEGEND is the only way to go. Yes it's expensive. Mine retailed for 7,200,00. This was for a custom CVO 2008 SEUC. They did an excellent job. That included having the hitch painted to match. Plug and play wiring harness, everything optional. Found a blisted in the paint 4 months later, called Mr. Darling and he had another one for me in 4 weeks with no questions asked. I have pulled the trailer up to speeds of 90 mph with no problems. I could have purchased a basic black one for under 3000.00 but I wanted one to match the bike. This is just my opinion for what it's worth.

I agree with your choice of trailer.  However, I have one simply question...

Sooooo, where are the pics of this beautiful trailer?  :nixweiss:

:worthless:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 03:20:54 PM by Grizzly »

Musclehead

« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2010, 07:16:30 PM »

If you are interested in what American Legends can do to match their trailer to your CVO, check out this link. They've just added pictures of the legend in hot citrus & burnt amber. One of you on here will be able to say "Hey, that's mine." Looks like a great piece of work. I pick mine up in early June.

http://www.american-legend.com/links.aspx

Musclehead

« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2010, 09:18:50 PM »

Picked the trailer up last Friday. Excellent job by American Legends - the paint is a perfect match, the hitch was painted to match, hitch and wiring installation was very prompt. If not for me asking questions and looking around their shop, I'd have been in and out in less than an hour. My experience pulling the trailer the 750 miles back to Charlotte exceeded my expectations. I couldn't tell it was behind me - tracks perfectly and no jumping around even on rough spots. Obviously, I'm a pleased customer.

Musclehead

« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2010, 09:19:50 PM »

Here's another picture.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2010, 09:42:07 PM »

Looks great!  You're correct .. :2vrolijk_21:.. they did do a good job on the painting.  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2010, 10:01:47 PM »

Picked the trailer up last Friday. Excellent job by American Legends - the paint is a perfect match, the hitch was painted to match, hitch and wiring installation was very prompt. If not for me asking questions and looking around their shop, I'd have been in and out in less than an hour. My experience pulling the trailer the 750 miles back to Charlotte exceeded my expectations. I couldn't tell it was behind me - tracks perfectly and no jumping around even on rough spots. Obviously, I'm a pleased customer.

That looks nice!  And huge!  How many cubic feet of storage?
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2010, 08:24:46 AM »

Wonderful, wonderful. Be proud of it.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2010, 12:39:26 PM »

If you guys get time, look at the new Bushtec website. They have a SERG w/trailer on the home page.
The "TAZMUN"

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2010, 04:51:37 PM »

Looks great MuscleHead-makes my ole black Bushtec behind my citrus bad.  (I know, nothing money wouldn't fix).   :cherry:

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2010, 07:49:29 PM »

The Bushtec looks good with the SERG on their site... Just not as good as the American Legend, IMHO.

Awesome looking rig Musclehead!  :2vrolijk_21:

I think I've already mentioned that, but it's worth mentioning again.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 07:51:57 PM by Grizzly »

Musclehead

« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2010, 05:44:08 AM »

That looks nice!  And huge!  How many cubic feet of storage?

Trailer has 22 cubic feet of storage counting the 2 hidden compartments in the bottom. American Legends web site has all the specifics if you are interested in more details.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2010, 09:13:44 AM »

Trailer has 22 cubic feet of storage counting the 2 hidden compartments in the bottom. American Legends web site has all the specifics if you are interested in more details.

How many shoes is that including the ice chest  :nixweiss:  Doc

sgchick

• Sweeper
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2010, 08:25:21 AM »

How many shoes is that including the ice chest  :nixweiss:  Doc
LOL!!! Sounds like you're speaking from experience Doc!! :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

bikerbum11

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • U.P. Cruising
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2010, 11:03:35 AM »

We finally got our American Legend Trailer back last week... What an ordeal.
I took it to a custom paint shop back in April only to get it back the wrong color, the pin stripping looking like a road map and all the parts in a box for me to put back together.

Here's a picture of it completed by a local body shop. I got it back the right color, pinstripping is straight, and they reasembled it back to the original state.
2015 CVO Limited
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 21 queries.