Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Tail of the Dragon claims buddy's bike.  (Read 12954 times)

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
Re: Tail of the Dragon claims buddy's bike.
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 04:07:23 PM »

Yep, that's his, talked to him on the phone yesterday.
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

Apehanger

• Beer, It's whats for dinner...

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 04:59:13 PM »

Sounds like they all had a hell of a ride, trailering from the cold Prairies in Canada to Washington DC, down to Virginia beach, the tail of the dragon, Nashville, and some went do watch the race in Talladega... all while their Canadian friends were braving the cold... (If my geography is screwed here it's because Nick told me about the trip while we pollished off a flat of beer) :drink:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 05:16:38 PM »

Small world.....you two being from two different provinces yet having the same friend and both of you on CVOs.  I hope your friend is a member here, too! :2vrolijk_21:

And if not......why not? :huepfenlol2:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 05:28:13 PM »

:huepfenjump3: :mango: :bananarock: :orange:

Ride "the Coronado Trail"  (also called 191) from Alpine, AZ to Clifton, AZ.  The best one day ride I have ever ridden.  (PAC 1 is the best three day ride).

Or 152 in New Mexico is awesome.

And 78 in AZ.

Can ride all three in one day.  Absolutely awesome.  BTW don't go in the summer.  It's there monsoon season.

Great roads, great curves, huge elevation changes,  hairpins, long fast sweepers etc.

Bear tooth and million dollar don't compare.

IMHO

:coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue:
I'll second 88 In AZ between Superstition and Torilla Flats! Just rode that last month and I was a little tired afterwards...
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 06:21:09 PM »

Actually I moved from Alberta to BC for more riding weather and he and I have been friends since I bought my first Harley in 2005. The trips they go on are for sure to get away from the cold and two of my other friends organize these trips. When I called him to ask what he'll get next, he said there's a green SESG on the floor but he'd be curious to see if the 2012s come out with the 120R in the Road Glide as he's always had a RG. I sent him the thread from Fullsac and their 120R dyno test from here as he may swap engines right away if he goes that route. He might join the group just to see his bike on the net, lol! :2vrolijk_21:
Randy D

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 06:22:04 PM »

Hi all, thanks again for all your ride recommendations, more for the bucket list!!!!!! :huepfenjump3:
Randy D

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 07:35:03 PM »

For any members new to the SoCal area and anyone else finding themselves in San Diego County - - - -The following is what you get if you Google Palomar Mountain Road Motorcycles

" Don't take this route for the scenery ... you'll need to keep your eyes on the road! Take it for the challenge as it "is the most technical road in Southern California." The scenery is great though as you'll be climbing mountains and have great vistas of the surrounding areas and you'll be traveling through some lush forests. Overall it is much more than just a technical route as it offers some of the best scenery in Southern California! The route is perched up high in a secluded mountain peak in the Cleveland National Forest. In fact it passes right by the Palomar Mountain Observatory (space telescope). And, you know if the government selected a site in southern California for a high powered telescope that they chose an area that not only has exceptional elevation but also is far removed from civilization and resulting light pollution … so you know this area has to be pristine … and it is!.     
      Rock solid 5 in the motorcycle road quality category. Multiple decreasing radius turns thrown in to back to back hairpin turns, add a few smooth snake turns and a few long sweepers and you have yourself a darn good ride. "

B B

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 08:13:39 PM »

:huepfenjump3: :mango: :bananarock: :orange:

Ride "the Coronado Trail"  (also called 191) from Alpine, AZ to Clifton, AZ.  The best one day ride I have ever ridden.  (PAC 1 is the best three day ride).

Or 152 in New Mexico is awesome.

And 78 in AZ.

Can ride all three in one day.  Absolutely awesome.  BTW don't go in the summer.  It's there monsoon season.

Great roads, great curves, huge elevation changes,  hairpins, long fast sweepers etc.

Bear tooth and million dollar don't compare.

IMHO
 :coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue:

The first time that I rode the Dragon, I commented to my friend who turned me on to it that it was the nicest piece of road that I had seen. He replied that I ain’t seen chit. The following year I rode to North Carolina in September and we hammered down some of the good chit! That part of the country is remarkable.

Last summer I rode 191 north from Clifton, AZ. Huge fun; a bit of an armpit getting there, though. There is an interesting landmark near marker 223 on that piece of road.

Say, what the heck are all those traffic cameras doing in Arizona!! Every time we rode through town, it was like a laser light show following us around. I expected a basket full of love letters from the State when I got home; nothing so far.  :)

I had an opportunity in March to run a piece of road in the pickup that I would like to try on two wheels. We left Butte, MT. and picked up Hwy 93 heading south; then 75 into the Sawtooth Mountains and Sun Valley. Not an extremely challenging ride but it is 300+ miles of nice crooked road through the Mountains with some incredible scenery.  :smilie_staub:

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 09:21:10 PM »

Some of the roads in Santa Monica Mountains above Malibu have runs and curves that make the Dragon look like a beginners route.

jb

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2011, 10:35:12 PM »

Some of the roads in Santa Monica Mountains above Malibu have runs and curves that make the Dragon look like a beginners route.

jb

Awwwwww come on dude, I was up there on my RG just three weeks ago. Topanga Canyon's the only one that comes close to the Dragon. The rest of those roads are for LA wannebe crotch rocket riders. Which YOU are not, so I expect better of you  :D :D :D :D

B B

ultracvorider

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRUSE 2011 Rio / Black
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2011, 02:02:58 AM »

Frank & Dr D are correct!!! Many, many roads in East TN & West NC that put the Dragon to shame......don't really understand how it got so popular.

Come ride the ALPS.....  You will forget about the Dragon the first mile..........

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2011, 07:18:20 AM »

Hwy 80 N from Marion NC to BRP, N on BRP to 226A in Little Switzerland, S back to Marion.......Dragon hangs its head
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

fresh oil and pipes

• Enjoying Life More Than Ever!!!!!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • RedNecks, White Socks & Blue Ribbon Beer

• CVO1: One of the Fast Green Ones
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2011, 09:45:59 AM »

Glad your buddy is ok can always get or repair the bike good "buddies" harder to replace. Noticed the beverage container in the pic was damaged also could that have been involved? Just asking.
"Let's Roll" Life is Short, Choose your Battles Wisely "Let's Roll"

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2011, 10:14:17 AM »

Funny. The single most popular spot for a CVO get together is now a beginners ride, so blasé.

Fact is, it is a short stretch of road with a lot of turns and some are challenging. Not everyone who goes there has ridden the 24 of Daytona.

As much as I like 129, I find 28 to be a more pleasurable ride, less stress swinging an 800 pound bike around.
There are roads that are better, more challenging perhaps, and some not very far from 129.

But the mystique is with the "Dragon" and because of it has the greatest number of CVO riders joining up.

My brother was in the airborne in the late 70's early 80's in NC. That was the first time I rode the dragon, wasn't the dragon then, just an obscure road with limited access that you were lucky enough to maybe get some gas for the ride back.

Its fun in a truck too. After the 06 rally, I happened to be there during the overnight storm that closed 441 and the Foothills Parkway. Next morning I had a damp, debris covered road to myself. Put the truck in 4wd and went up and down a total of 5 times at speeds I could never do on a bike, now that was fun.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

pado

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: Longhorn
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2011, 10:19:06 AM »

Hwy 80 N from Marion NC to BRP, N on BRP to 226A in Little Switzerland, S back to Marion.......Dragon hangs its head

I'll vote for this one.  Hell of a ride !!!
Founding Member and Zen Master of Pondering, Hankering and Moseying Society with all accolades and privileges

Charter Member of CVO Critter Gawking Society

Master Bloody Mary Mixologist
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.