Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: service in the military, local, or federal gov't  (Read 26710 times)

mtncop73

• Senior CVO Member
  • Without the wind in my face I woulda gone crazy
Re: service in the military, local, or federal gov
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2007, 09:48:10 PM »

Was declared 4f during the Nam era due to my hearing loss Tried to enlist in the Navy and made it as far as the last thing they give you for the physical - - a hearing test. Went to work in the Merchant Marine as a deck hand on an oil tanker that delivered fuel to military bases on the east coast of the US. Ended up some years later working for a company that builds US Navy warships. Now my office is onbase NAVSTA San Diego. I arrive at work at about 0530 ever morning. If there is not a lot of traffic, I always take the time to say " thank you for your service" in response to their " welcome to Navy Station San Diego" In my job, I communicate with the dept heads of the ship's I'm responsible for (10 DDG-51 Class Destroyers and 6 FFG-7 Class Frigates) I always thank whomever I'm dealing with for their service to their country. In short, every working day of my life I take a moment to thank those who do what I was not allowed to - - - serve my country. It's a small price to pay for their sacrifice and one I gladly make. I may not always agree with this country's leaders, but there is never a moment when I don't support and respect it's guardians.

B B

Well Said!!!!
It's not how a man dies that makes him a hero, It's how he lives.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2007, 03:48:49 PM »

B.B.,
Merchant Marines are vets, just like the rest, at least IMHO. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] Thanks for your service, and continued service on the civilian side as well.

[smiley=drink.gif]
Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

BK

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2007, 04:10:43 PM »

Army active duty 1980 -1983, Ft Bragg(airborne inf) and Germany(pathfinder), Army Reserve 1983 to current. I have been back on active duty moblized since 2003. That is a grand total of 27 years of service and still counting. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

ohmar

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2007, 04:19:30 PM »

Active Army 89-91 (Desert Storm) Army Guard 92-00.  Civil service since 95 work for the Dept. of Public Works as a foreman in my home town.

Ohmar

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2007, 04:24:38 PM »

B.B.,
[highlight]Merchant Marines are vets, just like the rest[/highlight], at least IMHO. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] Thanks for your service, and continued service on the civilian side as well.

[smiley=drink.gif]
Joe

I agree... just look at the action they saw in WWII & after. Thanks for keeping the goods flowing!

mtncop73

• Senior CVO Member
  • Without the wind in my face I woulda gone crazy
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2007, 05:05:27 PM »

B.B.,
Merchant Marines are vets, just like the rest, at least IMHO. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] Thanks for your service, and continued service on the civilian side as well.

[smiley=drink.gif]
Joe

I agree....they also only have 1*
It's not how a man dies that makes him a hero, It's how he lives.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2007, 07:58:24 PM »

B.B.,

[smiley=drink.gif]
Joe
Joe,
As a retired Sailor, I all to well know the value of the Merchant Marines...they ran the oilers and the supply ships for us...without their presence, we wouldn't have been able to do our jobs....be proud BB, the Merchant Marines count big time in my book.
Cheers [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif],
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2007, 08:47:54 PM »

Air Force 68-72.  Crew chief on F-100's and F-4's in Madrid, Spain for 2 1/2 years with several 30 day Tdy's to Turkey and North Africa.  Crew chief on T-38's for one year in Lubbock, Texas.

Best four years of my life!  (Not counting the 26 years that I've been married to Judy!)

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 08:49:43 PM by 04hd103 »

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2007, 09:01:13 PM »

Tony,
Small world!!  I didn't know you had retired from the Navy.  I knew there was something "salty" about you when we met.  Now I know why.  Ride free Shipmate!!!
Cheers [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif],
Red

Red,
We'll have to trade sea-stories one of these days - when the weather gets a bit steadier.
It always amazes me how many shipmates I run into in some of the most unusual places and circumstances.  But it is great sharing experiences with folks who "speak the language".
Be safe Shipmate!
Tony

SE05

• Senior CVO Member
  • aka - Mrs. SBB
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2007, 09:56:43 PM »

Never been in the armed forces myself but was an "Army brat" for 18 years as that was when I moved out of my parents house.  Dad was there 26 years.  I have two brothers and neither chose to enlist.

In December ‘06 my 18 year old son enlisted in the Marines.  He is now at Parris Island and due to graduate March 23rd.  I believe that day will be one of the proudest days in my life!!!

His MOS is MP [smiley=policeman.gif] but after graduation he will have 3 months of combat training and 3 months of MOS training so he still has a long road to go.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2007, 10:12:20 PM »

In December ‘06 my 18 year old son enlisted in the Marines.  He is now at Parris Island and due to graduate March 23rd.  I believe that day will be one of the proudest days in my life!!!

His MOS is MP [smiley=policeman.gif] but after graduation he will have 3 months of combat training and 3 months of MOS training so he still has a long road to go.
Nancy,
It will be one of the most proudest days of your life, and his. I can remember when I graduated from Parris Island my family came down and I think my Dad was the proudest. He always worked evenings/nights (waiter) when I was growing up and wasn't able to come to functions that I participated in school. When I decided to join he was shocked (he was in the Army), and thought I was crazy for wanting to join the Marines. I think he was a little skeptic, and he didn't think I was going to make it. However on graduation day he was as proud as if he'd just finished 3 months on the "Island".

Make sure you congratulate your son for me (an ole "Jarhead"), and ask him did he kill any of my sand fleas. ;D

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 10:13:26 PM by flhtcse2004 »
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SE05

• Senior CVO Member
  • aka - Mrs. SBB
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2007, 11:27:43 PM »

It will be one of the most proudest days of your life, and his.
Gary, it already is and it hasn't even happened yet!  Bad thing is he's going to miss our wedding.  He was really upset over it but I think I've done a pretty good job of acting like it's no big deal.  He needs to focus right now so I don't want him dwelling on things he can't change.

When I decided to join he was shocked (he was in the Army), and thought I was crazy for wanting to join the Marines. I think he was a little skeptic, and he didn't think I was going to make it.
My son had been talking about joining since he was 16, that's when he first had the recruiter come talke to me.  I was very skeptical that he would follow through with it but a couple of months after he turned 18 he had the recruiter come again to finalize things.

Make sure you congratulate your son for me (an ole "Jarhead"), ...
There must be some kind of eternal bond between Marines because Chip and I know a couple of ex-Marines and they want to go to graduation with us.  And they are serious!  I will be sure to pass on your contrats.

... and ask him did he kill any of my sand fleas. ;D
Good thing is that I hear this is the best time of year to be on the island 'cause the cold keeps the fleas away.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2007, 12:16:08 AM »

Was declared 4f during the Nam era due to my hearing loss Tried to enlist in the Navy and made it as far as the last thing they give you for the physical - - a hearing test. Went to work in the Merchant Marine as a deck hand on an oil tanker that delivered fuel to military bases on the east coast of the US. Ended up some years later working for a company that builds US Navy warships. Now my office is onbase NAVSTA San Diego. I arrive at work at about 0530 ever morning. If there is not a lot of traffic, I always take the time to say " thank you for your service" in response to their " welcome to Navy Station San Diego" In my job, I communicate with the dept heads of the ship's I'm responsible for (10 DDG-51 Class Destroyers and 6 FFG-7 Class Frigates) I always thank whomever I'm dealing with for their service to their country. In short, every working day of my life I take a moment to thank those who do what I was not allowed to - - - serve my country. It's a small price to pay for their sacrifice and one I gladly make. I may not always agree with this country's leaders, but there is never a moment when I don't support and respect it's guardians.

B B
Brian :
Great words my friend...
trust me when i say this..you have served ( and continue to serve) your nation well...  it truly doesnt matter if you wore a unform or not .
merchies and contractors are now more than ever critical to our fight...
if i ever find that trip to Dago,,, id be honored to see what you do my friend..
in my past i have spent a very short amount of time on those steel marvels that come from BIW and a few other yards..and for a ground pounder it really is some unique experience

thank you sir, for your service
..i salute you !

Scot

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2007, 12:23:43 AM »

I have served ..and still active...

19.5 YRS army..  all three components
been lots of places,,, { something like 47 states and 29 countries}  usuallly at the wrong time..i have served and continue to serve with some of the finest young men and women that this nation has to offer; and now more than ever; i am in awe of the personal sacrifices they make for this nation of ours

also been a volunteer reserve deputy sheriff for 10 years....
some of the most rewarding stuff i have ever done in my life

between these two careers, i dont much have to worry about what to wear very often ! lol

Bagger

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2007, 06:09:01 AM »

United States Army; 21 years, 5 mos., 11 days active federal service; 1984-2005; [size=20]RETIRED[/size] and still serving as a DoD Contractor.  Numerous tours in Korea, Ft. Campbell, KY, and Germany.  Yeah, I got caught in that endless FTCKY/ROK loop..........but I love it.  What a great career.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 21 queries.