Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: 124 s&s engine 585-640 question  (Read 33604 times)

Zee110

• Senior CVO Member
124 s&s engine 585-640 question
« on: June 12, 2014, 08:06:14 PM »

Thanks for all the earlier info. In making my decision between the 120r and 124s&s I have chosen to do the 124  ;D Now I would like your feedback as to which one :585 10.2 low compression or the 640 10.8 std engine.Thinking about such things as quality fuel on the highway,  would this be a issue with the higher compression or would it matter between the two I would assume there is a little longer life on the lower compression engine.There is probably around 6 to 10 hp difference and don't know what the torque curve difference would look like either.  :nixweiss:  I don't shift on the Red Line all the time, but I do like to hear the pipes Thanks in advance  Dave  :2vrolijk_21:

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: 124 s&s engine 585-640 question
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 08:13:37 PM »

Thanks for all the earlier info. In making my decision between the 120r and 124s&s I have chosen to do the 124  ;D Now I would like your feedback as to which one :585 10.2 low compression or the 640 10.8 std engine.Thinking about such things as quality fuel on the highway,  would this be a issue with the higher compression or would it matter between the two I would assume there is a little longer life on the lower compression engine.There is probably around 6 to 10 hp difference and don't know what the torque curve difference would look like either.  :nixweiss:  I don't shift on the Red Line all the time, but I do like to hear the pipes Thanks in advance  Dave  :2vrolijk_21:

Kind of depends on how you use your bike and what your riding habits are...  If you do much long distance touring, I'd go with the lower compression option.  If you mostly ride around town, the higher compression motor might be the ticket!  (tongue in cheek)   :)
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 09:27:47 PM »

On a long distance Touring bike, I would opt for the 124LC (gas and elevation).

Trust me, "you will be able to get a ticket anywhere you need to get one" with the LC :nixweiss:
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 11:38:53 PM »

Based on "not hitting the redline" very much and if you're riding a dresser, I would go for the LC with the 585's. Id also consider the exhaust you intend to use. The exhaust would something to at least consider because they are so influential in the characteristics of the behavior or the bike. I have the higher compression version and I have tuned mine, 120R's with increased compression and the T124 LC version. The LC version was quite some time back and it had a not so hot exhaust on it (V&H True Duals) for making big HP but for a guy that tuned a lot of bikes now, grew up on dirt bikes and had GSXR's, fast quads, dirt bikes and hot pro street style cars and even a mild drag car, the T124LC was pretty damn impressive to me for a out of the box build. Thats not to say the HC version is a slouch but it is softer on the bottom because the 640's (one of my favorite big cams that make numbers and run quiet) bleed off quite a bit of cylinder pressure and respond well to quite a bit more squeeze. Also just so you know, you can no longer order the T series motors from S&S with SE cases. They only come with the T2 cases and that poses a little bit of a task to make your oil supply and return run thru where the trans mates to the engine like the late model HD bikes. That said, S&S does offer a jig to help simplify the modification required to the cases to make the oil lines work as they do in factory form (which is no doubt the way to go IMO). Whether or not S&S can actually do the cases for the oil lines is yet to be determined because it puts them in the crosshairs for the lawsuit again. After all, the whole reason they got away from doing that in the first place was because HD filed suit for patent infringement and the result was the T2 cases. A couple of perks with the new S&S T2 cases are that they are extremely beefy! These babies look like they can handle 250 HP reliably but Im not a metallurgist or an engineer. Also, the new T2 cases are designed with the Timken crank bearing to be used without any mods to the cases making the pair up flawlessly with no extra machine work or inserts required as they are with the SE cases. You made what I really consider a no brainer choice after working with both motors several times by going with S&S. Their cam plate/oil pump is extremely beefy as well and moves a ton of oil. At hot idle on mine im running close to 32 psi oil pressure with Redline 20-60 oil. All of the components just seem like they are a higher quality. The flywheels are better, the thicker fins really do aid in keeping engine noises minimized IMO, you get roller rockers and you get a warranty! From a company that doesnt just tell you theres a warranty and then try to weasel their way out of it when something does go awry. They will take care of you unless theres an idiotic tune in the bike or you ran it without oil or something that would shame you to even have the nerve to ask for a warranty claim. They make much higher quality stuff from what Ive experienced. As far as your concern about compression and lasting longer, I dont know that looking at it the way that you are makes any sense, really. Cylinder pressure is what you should be looking at in regards to that, not static compression (ie 10.8:1 vs 10.2:1). I am working on a granite T124 quote for a member here and Ill probably know something tomorrow but one of the things we have not quite ironed out yet is the oil passage issue and if S&S can do that for me or if I will have to buy their jig and take the cases up to the machine shop and do it myself. Also just FYI, S&S builds these motors on the low side of the compression you'd typically want for the cams they offer in them. As you might suspect, it reduces the chances of warranty claims, however, I heard from a little birdie that they will increase compression a touch and back the full warranty as long as it is done at their facility before the engine leaves. Someone else mention they would only do this if you also bought and used their Pro Tune module but I really dont think thats is a reality. One last thing, the S&S motors (maybe because of the thicker fins and probably the less agressive cam ramps) run quite a bit quieter. Some of the 120R's ive done, one with even a great set of lifters and much considerably lighter valve springs installed and conventional 20-50 oil used sounds like a thrashing machine compared to the S&S motor. That may not always be the case but that is what I have seen here in my shop. Congrats on the new motor, you wont regret going the S&S route IMO.
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 11:46:49 PM »

You might PM Independent1 here on the forum. James is running one of the 124's in his RG, but I don't remember if it is the LC or the standard. He might could give you a little insight
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Zee110

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 01:25:01 AM »

Thanks for all the replies and to you Independent_1 for your expertise and knowledgeable response. I am a bit concerned about the pic. of the oil lines seen here on the 120r post,re-drilling the cases would be the way to go. Please keep me informed as to how this work's out with s&s and from what you mentioned what would be the compression ratio  that the 585 would really like? 

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 01:41:17 AM »

Depending on your altitude, available fuel, whether or not you intend to take the bike to different altitudes and your dyno tuners ability, Id say shoot for about 190 CCP or so and get the quench right and you shouldn't have any problems if the tune is right. Contact John Sachs here on this forum. Hes got a real good handle on the S&S heads that come on these motors. He can do some work to the heads to make excellent power without crossing the line on compression.

independentmcshop.com

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 06:26:13 AM »

Dan Thayer of Thayers Sales & Service, Corfu, N.Y., recently tuned our 124" low-compression version (185 ccp)trailer-towing bagger-combo, with the use of the .585's, OE cylinder head castings, re-worked, 58mm S&S t/hog. 129/137. :)
Scott

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 10:25:21 AM »

ZEE I would agree with Indendepent and his assesment. I had a 110" built to a 124 with really good parts and a 662-2 and now have a S&S124 there is really not much to compare. The S&S looks stronger, beefer and is much quieter with a lot better oil pressure and much cooler. The guys at Star Racing are using a lot of both 124's. I'm running the HC engine with some boost and I agree that this cam bleeds off a lot of compression and loves to run above 3k. So it makes it a little weak from 1800-2800 and 2 up on a bagger weak is not a good thing. but above that its good. I'm currently looking into a different cam but thats more because I'm boosting the engine. My suggestion/ recommendation would be to find someone or a shop that has one and ride it. It might be a hassel but it will be worth it in the long run because your expectations will be met. No offense ment to the 120r guys but after all the junk harley has built and continues to build I wouldn't run their engine without tearing it down to fix the same issues they have had since they started building 110". I've go around 3500 on the crate 124 HC and have really enjoyed it.

BigLew

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 11:08:26 AM »

99 & 3/4 % of the time big numbers are for bragging and bench racing. The LC version will be very enjoyable and haul the mail better than most Harleys out there.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 03:37:56 PM »

Some folks are totally ate up with that. :2vrolijk_21:
Scott

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 04:32:40 PM »

Some folks are totally ate up with that. :2vrolijk_21:
Scott
yeah! then when it hits the fan they wan to know what happened!!

Zee110

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 11:12:13 PM »

Just going to throw this out there, Would it make any sense to run the 585s in the place of the 640s in the higher compression 124 ?

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 12:27:23 AM »

Why don't you run the 124 LC for a while, then decide if you really need/want more??? :nixweiss:
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Hog95023

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 12:45:04 AM »

Based on "not hitting the redline" very much and if you're riding a dresser, I would go for the LC with the 585's. Id also consider the exhaust you intend to use. The exhaust would something to at least consider because they are so influential in the characteristics of the behavior or the bike. I have the higher compression version and I have tuned mine, 120R's with increased compression and the T124 LC version. The LC version was quite some time back and it had a not so hot exhaust on it (V&H True Duals) for making big HP but for a guy that tuned a lot of bikes now, grew up on dirt bikes and had GSXR's, fast quads, dirt bikes and hot pro street style cars and even a mild drag car, the T124LC was pretty damn impressive to me for a out of the box build. Thats not to say the HC version is a slouch but it is softer on the bottom because the 640's (one of my favorite big cams that make numbers and run quiet) bleed off quite a bit of cylinder pressure and respond well to quite a bit more squeeze. Also just so you know, you can no longer order the T series motors from S&S with SE cases. They only come with the T2 cases and that poses a little bit of a task to make your oil supply and return run thru where the trans mates to the engine like the late model HD bikes. That said, S&S does offer a jig to help simplify the modification required to the cases to make the oil lines work as they do in factory form (which is no doubt the way to go IMO). Whether or not S&S can actually do the cases for the oil lines is yet to be determined because it puts them in the crosshairs for the lawsuit again. After all, the whole reason they got away from doing that in the first place was because HD filed suit for patent infringement and the result was the T2 cases. A couple of perks with the new S&S T2 cases are that they are extremely beefy! These babies look like they can handle 250 HP reliably but Im not a metallurgist or an engineer. Also, the new T2 cases are designed with the Timken crank bearing to be used without any mods to the cases making the pair up flawlessly with no extra machine work or inserts required as they are with the SE cases. You made what I really consider a no brainer choice after working with both motors several times by going with S&S. Their cam plate/oil pump is extremely beefy as well and moves a ton of oil. At hot idle on mine im running close to 32 psi oil pressure with Redline 20-60 oil. All of the components just seem like they are a higher quality. The flywheels are better, the thicker fins really do aid in keeping engine noises minimized IMO, you get roller rockers and you get a warranty! From a company that doesnt just tell you theres a warranty and then try to weasel their way out of it when something does go awry. They will take care of you unless theres an idiotic tune in the bike or you ran it without oil or something that would shame you to even have the nerve to ask for a warranty claim. They make much higher quality stuff from what Ive experienced. As far as your concern about compression and lasting longer, I dont know that looking at it the way that you are makes any sense, really. Cylinder pressure is what you should be looking at in regards to that, not static compression (ie 10.8:1 vs 10.2:1). I am working on a granite T124 quote for a member here and Ill probably know something tomorrow but one of the things we have not quite ironed out yet is the oil passage issue and if S&S can do that for me or if I will have to buy their jig and take the cases up to the machine shop and do it myself. Also just FYI, S&S builds these motors on the low side of the compression you'd typically want for the cams they offer in them. As you might suspect, it reduces the chances of warranty claims, however, I heard from a little birdie that they will increase compression a touch and back the full warranty as long as it is done at their facility before the engine leaves. Someone else mention they would only do this if you also bought and used their Pro Tune module but I really dont think thats is a reality. One last thing, the S&S motors (maybe because of the thicker fins and probably the less agressive cam ramps) run quite a bit quieter. Some of the 120R's ive done, one with even a great set of lifters and much considerably lighter valve springs installed and conventional 20-50 oil used sounds like a thrashing machine compared to the S&S motor. That may not always be the case but that is what I have seen here in my shop. Congrats on the new motor, you wont regret going the S&S route IMO.
wow I didn't know you can't get the harley cases any more.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 08:47:59 PM by Hog95023 »

sAs

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2014, 06:26:13 AM »

Dan Thayer of Thayers Sales & Service, Corfu, N.Y., recently tuned our 124" low-compression version (185 ccp)trailer-towing bagger-combo, with the use of the .585's, OE cylinder head castings, re-worked, 58mm S&S t/hog. 129/137. :)
Scott

and I might add I just got back from approx 1000 mile trip out West. Temps ranged from 55*-85* and was very consistent and dependable. It had plenty of low end grunt and fun at the high end, two up, loaded..(not me, the bike)  ::) We ran into different qualities of gas also, didnt seem to make much difference. Im not one to please very easy, but in all honesty this one is a home run for me..Thanks Scott :2vrolijk_21:

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 12:44:47 PM »

Decisions..... Decisions......

Zee110

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 01:39:15 AM »

Thanks for everyones help ;D :2vrolijk_21:  Put in my order for a granite t124 LC 585 Thanks again for all your input , now the real fun begins  :apple: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :pineapple: :pepper: :2vrolijk_21:

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 11:11:23 AM »

Good Luck!

BigLew

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2014, 11:24:55 AM »

Good move, Zee! You wont be disappointed! Best bang for the buck out there IMO if you want some real power and not have to worry about breaking something. You have a warranty! I just got an email from a guy I sold one to Down in Louisiana and hes running about the worst exhaust a man could use for performance (V&H true duals) and they just finished up the final tune after break in on it. It is the LC version with the 585's and it came up with 146 TQ and 125 HP./ Not too shabby for a detuned (lower compression than you could run with those cams) and no headwork, literally box stock engine with a crappy exhaust (from a performance perspective). Tons of fun and no worries because hes got a warranty!  :bananarock:

independentmcshop.com

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2014, 01:24:29 PM »

Good move, Zee! You wont be disappointed! Best bang for the buck out there IMO if you want some real power and not have to worry about breaking something. You have a warranty! I just got an email from a guy I sold one to Down in Louisiana and hes running about the worst exhaust a man could use for performance (V&H true duals) and they just finished up the final tune after break in on it. It is the LC version with the 585's and it came up with 146 TQ and 125 HP./ Not too shabby for a detuned (lower compression than you could run with those cams) and no headwork, literally box stock engine with a crappy exhaust (from a performance perspective). Tons of fun and no worries because hes got a warranty!  :bananarock:

James between you and Tab you all are about to cost me some money

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2014, 01:57:44 PM »

Sometimes the woman has wear the pants, Dave! Lol I think it will be more cost effective in the long run. I think you'll be happy with the power, the bike will be worth more to the right buyer and you will probably have less money in replacing lifters, building another motor cause the next isn't enough power, you can sell your old engine and if one failure occurs in the next 2 years, the extra cost paid for itself with the warranty. Not to mention labor costs to swap a motor out is less than building one from the ground up. S&S has stepped up with these crate motors and when they lowered their prices on them, it's difficult to argue that there's other ways to make this kind of power let alone get a warranty for the money required to do so.

independentmcshop.com

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2014, 01:59:49 PM »

Sometimes the woman has wear the pants, Dave! Lol I think it will be more cost effective in the long run. I think you'll be happy with the power, the bike will be worth more to the right buyer and you will probably have less money in replacing lifters, building another motor cause the next isn't enough power, you can sell your old engine and if one failure occurs in the next 2 years, the extra cost paid for itself with the warranty. Not to mention labor costs to swap a motor out is less than building one from the ground up. S&S has stepped up with these crate motors and when they lowered their prices on them, it's difficult to argue that there's other ways to make this kind of power let alone get a warranty for the money required to do so.
X2

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2014, 06:22:36 PM »

Good read!  :2vrolijk_21:
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2014, 11:48:41 PM »

David,
My feelings are hurt since you'll listen to them, and you'd never listen to me... LOL

My prediction is that a lot of Builders are going to be luvin' the S&S 124 (especially the warranty), and I don't blame them for being tired of eating labor because of component issues that a lot of manufacturers won't stand behind.
Ed

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2014, 10:22:39 AM »

Ed you know how it is when the wife speaks......LOL. Problem starts when I don't pay enough attention to what it was she said...

Several really good point in this thread and with this being introduced it will probably change the way performance work is done for a lot of us. You look at the motors that are built just by the members here and how much money is spent building a 110/113/117 right and when it's finished you have no warranty and are dang near the price of the 124 with warranty included. Makes it pretty simple decision when you look at it like that or for me it does. Thinking I have some motor parts that are getting ready to be for sale.

David

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2014, 10:49:19 AM »

David I have been told by the folks I ride with that the 124 sounds different. No one can put there finger on it, just different.

Biglew

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2014, 09:33:49 PM »

David I have been told by the folks I ride with that the 124 sounds different. No one can put there finger on it, just different.

Biglew

That's exactly what people say about me too!  LOL

I have listened to the 124 on Independent_1's bike a few times and not sure I hear a difference.....except for like comparing the sound of a small block to an old rat motor.

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2014, 10:37:19 PM »

They sound distant because they're out in front if you. That's also the same reason you can't put your finger on im them.  ;D

independentmcshop.com

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2014, 11:05:02 PM »

Ed you know how it is when the wife speaks......LOL. Problem starts when I don't pay enough attention to what it was she said...

Several really good point in this thread and with this being introduced it will probably change the way performance work is done for a lot of us. You look at the motors that are built just by the members here and how much money is spent building a 110/113/117 right and when it's finished you have no warranty and are dang near the price of the 124 with warranty included. Makes it pretty simple decision when you look at it like that or for me it does. Thinking I have some motor parts that are getting ready to be for sale.

David
The Defense rests... :nixweiss:

Zee110

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2014, 12:21:13 AM »

Depending on your altitude, available fuel, whether or not you intend to take the bike to different altitudes and your dyno tuners ability, Id say shoot for about 190 CCP or so and get the quench right and you shouldn't have any problems if the tune is right. Contact John Sachs here on this forum. Hes got a real good handle on the S&S heads that come on these motors. He can do some work to the heads to make excellent power without crossing the line on compression.

How does one acquire 190 ccp assuming this is cold cranking pressure with easy start cams?

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2014, 09:14:56 AM »

Now that's a really good question and I'm waiting on a really good answer. That's one of the answers that I need.But I'm the odd man out. I'm running the 124 HC with a procharger. Bike shows its running a lot of boost but is bleeding a lotof the boost off because of the cam profile. So I'm looking for a better cam choice. I've run the 662-2 and although its a great top end cam doesnt make a lot of mid range TQ. So I'm looking at more mid range and set the rev limiter at 6200. Not interested pushing another cam cover off.

BigLew

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2014, 10:39:55 AM »

Same as any other build. I believe the S&S motors come with 40 HG's. You can run a 30 there and mill the heads. I've not had a set of these worked heads in my hands yet so I can't say of sinking the valves is required or not. I believe in stock from the heads run at 91cc chambers and with the higher lift cams used with these heads, some geometry correction/valve stem protrusion may need to be addressed as well. Again, on these particular heads especially, I'd call John Sachs. He knows these heads well and for the guy running the boost, I would not go crazy with the CCP or compression since you are running the boost. I would confirm with Sachs but I'm sure he's going to tell you to at least go with a 2.02 intake, possibly larger and maybe larger intake valve or if you don't mind spending the money, a set if worked B2's may be the hot setup for you. If Sachs isn't who you'd like to use, Dorfman at HD Street Performance or the Lazanno brothers would probably be on my short list as well. If the compression you want can't be achieved with the HG and shaved heads, next option is pistons or possibly oversize bore and pistons. I know S&S has recently released some new kits that contain CP pistons. I use both Wiseco and CP just depending on the build. I just finished up a 106 build that started life as a SE 103 with the hemi chambers. Sachs did the heads and suggested the Wiseco's so that's what I used. When wise men speak (Sachs in this case) men who hope to eventually be wise, listen. I actually like some of the main features of the CP's better (ie skirts, rings, and ring lands) but Sachs suggested Wiseco's on this one and that's what we used. Tuning with my 4 gas analyzer, I can see how efficient heads burn and although I have not had time or a chance to share my readings with Sachs from the tuning, the heads burned exceptionally clean and there was no oxygen (0.2%) and very low HydroCarbons (Raw fuel) that made it through the engine unburned. That oxygen reading and no pinging is nothing to take lightly. It is not very common to be able to burn up that my ch of the oxygen we introduce into the engine without the knock sensor start pulling timing and start audibly hearing ping. That said, of course the other components are players also (ie throttle body, pipe and cams) but the heads were beyond the shadow of any doubt were very well done.

independentmcshop.com

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2014, 11:06:36 AM »

Well thanks for the education, but almost none of it made and sense to me. I was really just repeating what I had been told by my tuner here. And he is pretty sharp. Does a lot of the NASCAR boys bikes. I was just a little afaird to run as much boost as I run (on the gauge) 13lbs, with the copression that S&S advertises. Thats when I got the education about static compression. Because of the profile of the 640 cam it bleeds off a lot of the compression/boost. So its not really a good cam for maximizing the procharger. But its safe. Just wondering what would be better. Not sure if I'm interested in tearing a new motor apart. I'm doing 168TQ its just higher in the rpm range than I would like. But I can tell you that above 4,000 its hard to hold on to. Just a little soft off idle.

BigLew

Zee110

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2014, 12:25:32 AM »

Wish you custom shops were just a little bit closer, anyway my new motor should be here in about two weeks   :2vrolijk_21:

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2014, 12:43:57 AM »

Zee, more than happy to sell you a T124, Throttle hog, clutch and a Thundermax at a great price! Bolt it all in, install the TMax with Map already programmed and youre ready to go ride! It really is that simple! You can sell some of your other parts to help offset the costs and Ill give you a great deal if you buy everything to get the build done and ready to run! PM me if you have a good dyno operator in your area, we can cut the price more and use a TTS instead.

independentmcshop.com

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2014, 09:10:26 PM »

How is the belt holding up with all the tq the S&S 124 is putting out? I would guess that if you're not racing the bike and still use it for touring that it should last ok. I better get a quote from my local tuner and see what we can do on going this route. There we go again on the warranty thing though. Not that they won't honor it, no concerns there. It's having a warranty count down when I'm overseas and can't ride. Arrgh, why am I getting excited to do this then. POWERRRRR!

While I'm dreaming planning I still wonder about a DD7 and a larger front pulley. Get RPM's down there a bit more when cruising 85-90. How many places allow that kind of speed though. Just local states in my area and others probably are happy to give out tickets. What...building an autobahn sled? :nixweiss:
2007 Softail Custom

Zee110

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2014, 11:11:49 PM »

Thanks INDEPENDENT but already left a deposit with  a builder in Kelowna BC . Soon i will become a snowbird as many other Canadians are, and will be able to come down and get my up grades done with you custom shops in the US as well as a pile of miles in the winter  :2vrolijk_21:

As for CVOThunder i don't think its the belt you have to worry about, its more the rear tire ! :huepfenlol2:

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2014, 11:16:30 PM »

Good point!  :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Softail Custom

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2014, 11:41:21 PM »

:worthless:
Good point!  :2vrolijk_21:

And wheelie bars...... :2vrolijk_21:

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2014, 08:39:24 AM »

I've had no belt issues as long as I stayed with the stock Harley belt. Now when I changed the front drive sprocket for a better touring gear......thats a different story. Two belts trashed in 4 months. Went back to stock.

BigLew

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2014, 05:41:08 PM »

Lew by better touring gear do you mean a 30 tooth pulley? I can see how that would give it better dig out of the hole but tear up belts. Not sure why I'm fixated on going the opposite way as most posted limits can easily be exceeded with the stock gearing. Wouldn't need a tall gear to tour the mountains and coast but much of my area is wide open as well as the freeway. I need to get off the slab and enjoy the mountains more often. Just always limited on time getting from point A-B. Maybe that'll change in the future.

H/J off.
2007 Softail Custom

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2014, 09:54:39 AM »

I know that the real issue with the 30-32 tooth is when you change the belt its no longer a harley belt and it will break! I broke 2 on a stock 110 and changed it back.

BigLew

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2014, 02:23:15 PM »

How does one acquire 190 ccp assuming this is cold cranking pressure with easy start cams?

Lock the E-Z heel with a piece of rubber, and perform the test, remove after.
PITA but that's what we've done when double-checking.
Scott

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2014, 10:01:09 AM »

Thanks INDEPENDENT but already left a deposit with  a builder in Kelowna BC . Soon i will become a snowbird as many other Canadians are, and will be able to come down and get my up grades done with you custom shops in the US as well as a pile of miles in the winter  :2vrolijk_21:

As for CVOThunder i don't think its the belt you have to worry about, its more the rear tire ! :huepfenlol2:

What Builder in Kelowna are you using?
2012 Road glide ultra 103
DD7 Baker, S&S 570, Fulsac DX, 2"
SE CNC heads 58mm throttle body
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
150WW Avon Venom rear tire
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Zee110

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2014, 10:18:42 AM »

What Builder in Kelowna are you using?

Konquer customs. formerly called Kreator

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2014, 04:54:05 PM »

Lock the E-Z heel with a piece of rubber, and perform the test, remove after.
PITA but that's what we've done when double-checking.
Scott
Hi Scott, I don't mean to talk I'm circles ;) but you can also run the bike on one cylinder and check the opposite cylinder. I've finally almost gotten Travis bike tuned, I have been absolutely slammed in the shop and we've been selling the T124 motors and quoting them like crazy. Just got one in this week and probably have another low compression version here next week.

For those interested I have a recipe I use to beef the cruise drive trans up in conjunction with the T124's (I like the Baker Street Door to stop the helical cut gears from trying to push away from one another and their heavy duty throw out bearing, Baker attitude adjuster and I also prefer the Evolution Industries Diamond Terminator clutch in either stock 46 tooth or for lower gearing if using the T124 with 640 cams I run the 49 tooth clutch). I've found this recipe is pretty damn bullet proof makes great real world power, you get a warranty and all the companies involved in this recipe I've formulated are allude in the USA premium components. Bang for the buck, all made in USA and a warranty to boot is hard to ignore. I've got one in the shop now (high compression version) to install with the T2 cases and we will be renting the jig we also have to drill and tap the stock trans to run the oil like kit needed for the T2 S&S cases. We will probably post a YouTube video soon of how to use the jig to drill and tap you 6 speed for the external line kit available from S&S and the tool can be rented from us or were happy to do these builds for you and tune them here with the tuner of your choice. We are authorized S&S, Baker Drivetrain, Evolution Industries, TTS MasterTune, Dynojet Power Vision and Techno Reaearch Direct Link dealers. We have 2 of these 124's going right now with this recipe and several 5-6 other builds going that involve reworking the cranks and or replacing them with S&S or reworked Darkhorse cranks with Timken inserts but when you start to compare cubes and labor costs and warranties, the S&S T124 becomes very appealing. We can always change up the recipe to better suit your needs too if there's something else you have in mind, I'm only a PM away.

independentmcshop.com

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2014, 04:16:20 AM »

Konquer customs. formerly called Kreator

Let me know how it turns out, I will be back in Kelowna July 20th
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Zee110

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2014, 10:42:31 AM »

Let me know how it turns out, I will be back in Kelowna July 20th

I will be heading down there sometime after the 14th. Hope  everything is good to go by then :2vrolijk_21:

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2014, 12:20:18 PM »

Maybe see how it will do against my 127 :-)
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Zee110

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2014, 02:19:17 PM »

Maybe see how it will do against my 127 :-)

Absolutely  :2vrolijk_21: But bus against bus  :huepfenlol2:

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2014, 08:13:16 AM »

:-) the bus is stock so you got me there
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2014, 04:26:08 PM »

Hi Scott, I don't mean to talk I'm circles ;) but you can also run the bike on one cylinder and check the opposite cylinder. I've finally almost gotten Travis bike tuned, I have been absolutely slammed in the shop and we've been selling the T124 motors and quoting them like crazy. Just got one in this week and probably have another low compression version here next week.

For those interested I have a recipe I use to beef the cruise drive trans up in conjunction with the T124's (I like the Baker Street Door to stop the helical cut gears from trying to push away from one another and their heavy duty throw out bearing, Baker attitude adjuster and I also prefer the Evolution Industries Diamond Terminator clutch in either stock 46 tooth or for lower gearing if using the T124 with 640 cams I run the 49 tooth clutch). I've found this recipe is pretty damn bullet proof makes great real world power, you get a warranty and all the companies involved in this recipe I've formulated are allude in the USA premium components. Bang for the buck, all made in USA and a warranty to boot is hard to ignore. I've got one in the shop now (high compression version) to install with the T2 cases and we will be renting the jig we also have to drill and tap the stock trans to run the oil like kit needed for the T2 S&S cases. We will probably post a YouTube video soon of how to use the jig to drill and tap you 6 speed for the external line kit available from S&S and the tool can be rented from us or were happy to do these builds for you and tune them here with the tuner of your choice. We are authorized S&S, Baker Drivetrain, Evolution Industries, TTS MasterTune, Dynojet Power Vision and Techno Reaearch Direct Link dealers. We have 2 of these 124's going right now with this recipe and several 5-6 other builds going that involve reworking the cranks and or replacing them with S&S or reworked Darkhorse cranks with Timken inserts but when you start to compare cubes and labor costs and warranties, the S&S T124 becomes very appealing. We can always change up the recipe to better suit your needs too if there's something else you have in mind, I'm only a PM away.

Let me know in a PM, or phone call on that Mr. Travis. :2vrolijk_21:
Scott

Hotbo

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AR

« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2014, 10:19:23 PM »

Let me know in a PM, or phone call on that Mr. Travis. :2vrolijk_21:
Scott

ill call u in the morning.its done and James(Independent_1) has gone above and beyond for me on this project!!!!!

i think i will be very pleased with the outcome.Travis
03 Fatty Hillside 124" Dragos(Rush wrath)pipe,Bored S&S G W/T-Jet

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2014, 06:55:56 AM »

Right on. :2vrolijk_21:
Scott

Zee110

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2014, 11:01:35 PM »

Classic Beast ,you let the cat out of the bag 145tq 140hp . You got me beat  :huepfenlol2: Going to call down there tomorrow to see where things are at .

Zee110

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2014, 11:39:00 PM »

Happy to report that i picked up my bike today ;D have to put a few miles on it for break-in but feels to me theres a hole lot of tq there , I am looking forward to the final tune ,should be a lot of fun  :2vrolijk_21:  Found my v&h power duels in very rough shape upon removal from my 110 ,bolts broke off in the head, pipes were cracked with only 11k They should have lasted better than that i would think. Maybe a bad install  :nixweiss: Thanks for everyones help and advice  :drink:

thelawnmowerman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2014, 05:08:49 PM »

Hi
I'm new here so Hello to all .
I've just ordered a T124 LC engine for my 07 Softail after an engine ate its oil pump and base plate etc last year,
Replaced it with a used item, but worried it could happen again, it also ate into the crank!
Anyway Decided to go with the LC 124 as I want the power lower down the range.
Question is .. Is there an even more friendlier cam that would be more suited to my needs? tbh , I very rarely wind this thing up past halfway, so if there is such a cam that can move the power down a bit lower I will look at swapping it out.
Like I said only just ordered the unit so I have no idea what it'll ride like.
Thanks in advance

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2014, 08:43:05 PM »

Hi
I'm new here so Hello to all .
I've just ordered a T124 LC engine for my 07 Softail after an engine ate its oil pump and base plate etc last year,
Replaced it with a used item, but worried it could happen again, it also ate into the crank!
Anyway Decided to go with the LC 124 as I want the power lower down the range.
Question is .. Is there an even more friendlier cam that would be more suited to my needs? tbh , I very rarely wind this thing up past halfway, so if there is such a cam that can move the power down a bit lower I will look at swapping it out.
Like I said only just ordered the unit so I have no idea what it'll ride like.
Thanks in advance
No, not IMO. The S&S cam plate requires their cams and with the larger displacement I think you'll find the 585's that come in the LC version don't need to be any shorter/smaller.

independentmcshop.com

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2014, 07:50:35 AM »

this may have been covered in this thread all ready (didn't go thru the 4 pages of it),but there a whole lot of choices between the 585 LC & the hi compression .640 builds.we do ALOT of 124`s with everything from very low compression builds with .570`s,and. 54`s & fuelling .574`s to the 11.5-1+ monsters,figure out what your expecting to do with it,if your looking to to tour on it like a stock motor,your not going to like a big compression,big cam high RPM build

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2014, 10:50:03 AM »

FWIW that .585 is laid way back at 10.0, even in a 124".
Even 10.5 is tame for that cam.
Used to use .715 Red Shift cam(s) in those 124"s years ago, for hot-rods.
Scott

thelawnmowerman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2014, 05:19:12 PM »

Thanks Guys .. Figure the 585's will be fine for me then ... Guy from S&S mailed me some Dyno charts ..

Desertwndrr

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2014, 10:30:58 PM »

Thanks Guys .. Figure the 585's will be fine for me then ... Guy from S&S mailed me some Dyno charts ..

I just posted a dyno chart in the Springer section for a B motor at 124" and with 585 cams.  You will be happy with that combo.

thelawnmowerman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2014, 05:09:45 PM »

I saw that Chart Desert Thanks for the heads up

Independant_1.... Took delivery of my motor today ... the Lc model ... not looking to drop any more money right away, but will the std 6 speed hold up with this engine ?
I think I need to address stuff in the future cos this 5th gear whine proper winds me up ... Cant believe Harley would build such a noisey box .... I know the reasons why etc .. but surely the fact they changed it in 11 is an admission of guilt ?
What are my options ?
Cheers
Mark
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 20 queries.