Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: 2008 Heat Management Upgrade  (Read 11622 times)

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
2008 Heat Management Upgrade
« on: August 14, 2008, 11:32:26 AM »

I talked with a guy last night that has a 2008 Ultra Classic. He claims he had a software upgrade to activate the heat management option via throttle roll back now available on 2009 models. Is this really available to earlier Throttle By Wire models? He said it was a free download via his dealership

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: 2008 Heat Management Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 03:05:35 PM »

I talked with a guy last night that has a 2008 Ultra Classic. He claims he had a software upgrade to activate the heat management option via throttle roll back now available on 2009 models. Is this really available to earlier Throttle By Wire models? He said it was a free download via his dealership

There was a specific note in the 2009 Tech Forum information that stated the 2009 calibration COULD NOT be used to apply the new feature to an '08 model.   :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

BaggerDave

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 03:20:58 PM »

It was already on mine and engaged from the factory!

D&D Fatcats
Doherty PowerPACC
SE Pro Super Tuner
HP 100 TQ 116

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 05:21:48 PM »

Yours is an 2008 correct? I just called the dealer. Yes they can do a software update on 2008 FBW models to activate the throttle roll back for heat managment. It is a one time free upgarde to all 2008 owners.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 05:27:25 PM by sportygordy »

brewnut56

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 FXDB-sold
    • CVO2: FLHRSE4-sold
    • CVO3: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 05:29:23 PM »

I talked to a HD rep in Rapid City, SD last week.  He told me how to activate it on my '08 SERK.

"While sitting stationary at idle, roll throttle off (all the way forward) and hold it until the cruise light turns red.  Release throttle and then repeat until cruise light turns green."  It will then activate when the temp reaches the predetermined setpoint (while at parade speeds or idle) and will deactivate when you get rolling again.  If you want to prevent it from automatically activating, roll throttle forward (again at idle) and hold until cruise light turns red.

It made a difference while inching along in Sturgis traffic last week.

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Black and Gray 08
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 08:51:12 PM »

Does this make much of difference for heat issues? I know when I pull up to light and wait for 1 minute, my leg begins to feel real hot..... To the point where I put my leg up on the foot rest and lean to the right... Just for the heat issue I am taking it in this weekend to get it checked out.. No charge of course, warranty.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 08:53:05 PM by lzyboy »
Life time member VFW 7450 San Diego! Love your freedom, Thank a Vet!

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 10:08:09 PM »

Isn't that the dealer activated version, not the one where you can change the settings as the driver?

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

brewnut56

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 09:22:18 PM »

Isn't that the dealer activated version, not the one where you can change the settings as the driver?

I had read where this needed to be activated by the dealer as well, however when I talked to the HD rep in Rapid City, SD, he told me to how to activate it by rolling the throttle forward (as in my previous post) and it worked.  So maybe later builds were factory activated??  I dunno?? :nixweiss:

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 10:54:02 PM »

Does this make much of difference for heat issues? I know when I pull up to light and wait for 1 minute, my leg begins to feel real hot..... To the point where I put my leg up on the foot rest and lean to the right... Just for the heat issue I am taking it in this weekend to get it checked out.. No charge of course, warranty.
That's normal.  :oops: I pretty much do the same as you when the fire gets to the back of your leg

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 03:00:21 PM »

I took the bike into today and was out pretty quick. The service guy said my heat system was not on and uploaded the program. Plus, turned it on. He said and I quote, " At an idol you will notice the back cyclinder turning off and the idol will get a little rougher". This is supposed to reduce the heat issue. I got a report card of 261, which I was told ok.  (do you smell bacon  :'( cooking)     

brewnut56

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 09:46:54 PM »

I took the bike into today and was out pretty quick. The service guy said my heat system was not on and uploaded the program. Plus, turned it on. He said and I quote, " At an idol you will notice the back cyclinder turning off and the idol will get a little rougher". This is supposed to reduce the heat issue. I got a report card of 261, which I was told ok.  (do you smell bacon  :'( cooking)     

What is the report card score you're referring to?   :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 10:56:49 PM »

You should also be able to activate it manual my rolling the throttle backwards for 3 seconds at a complete stop... Try that and let us know.

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 10:53:16 PM »

What is the report card score you're referring to?   :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

here at Barnett El Paso they call it a Birth Certificate. Basically they run a diagnostic to see what the bike is doing. I went on a nice long ride today, about 250 miles. Pulled up to my first light and to my surprise I did not feel the burn. So far so good.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 10:55:41 PM by lzyboy »

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 11:24:41 AM »

While my bike was in getting the new heads, gaskets, etc I asked the Service Manager about this.  The download on the older manufactured bikes is not rider controllable.  The dealer downloads it and it is active.  If you decide you don't like it you have to take it back and have them download the original settings back in.  I had him do this on my bike to verify, and he was correct.

It is not by model year, but by maufacture date.  I do not know what the cutoff is, but I have a '08 CUSE3 that was manufactured in July '07.

I tested it, and the only noticeble negative is a very slight hesitation when pulling out ONLY after the system shut the rear cylinder down.  If the heat management is not kicked in there's no difference.  I don't see that I'd ever turn it off so it's not a big deal for me.

I will say this about it, don't expect this to make a major difference.  Yes I could notice it.  But I'd still reccomend a re-tune if you have one that is running excesively hot.  Mine does not.  I had to let it sit still and idle for about ten minutes before it got hot enough to cause the system to kick in.  And when it did I could notice a slight reduction in heat.  So instead of frying my thighs I'd say it went down to flame broiling.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

sawyerghost

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 12:53:12 PM »

J-Carr,
Thank you for your insight on installing the Heat Management Program.
You and I virtually have bikes with the same Born On Dates.
I do not have the program installed. And you said our bikes with the update cannot be manually deactivated
Locally not much time spent at long lights.
Would you advise having it installed, or leaving alone?
 :nixweiss:
Sawyer Ghost
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 20 queries.