Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: NIM will not work  (Read 4550 times)

Tomtune1

• Tomtune1

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
NIM will not work
« on: April 14, 2012, 10:19:52 PM »

I have a 2009 SE Road Glide, with iPod module, zoom 660 nav, and NIM kit. I have also installed a J&M 500W amp and rear bag speakers. I have triple checked everything and for some reason, the NIM will not work. I checked the HD zoom 660 and it has 4.5 version software so I should be good there. Any ideas would certainly be appreciated.

A dealer told me the amp may be effecting the NIM operation, this seems a bit far fetched as the amp is on the output side of the HK radio.. I'm sure it's something I overlooked during the install.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 10:27:12 PM by Tomtune1 »
TTCVO

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: NIM will not work
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 06:46:25 AM »

Try this link, hope you find the problem.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=59215.0

Jim
Ride It Like You Are Retired

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 11:01:15 AM »

Is it a Zumo or Roadtech 660?  The NIM will NOT work with a Zumo.

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 05:29:03 PM »

How did you install the wires for the NIM harness into the 35 wire connector on the HK radio?  I ask because it's pretty common for civilians NOT to install them correctly resulting in the wires not making contact with the pin-outs of the HK.

Carl

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 05:58:10 PM »

If you have not recently purchased the NIM, you may have the old version, which was prone to have issues.  The new version's part number ends with an "A".  Mine had to be replaced on my '11 SERGU.

Could be the other things referenced above...if you've got a Zumo and not a Road Tech, the NIM is a boat anchor.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Tomtune1

• Tomtune1

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 09:53:43 PM »

Jumped the Road Tech 660 to the aux of the radio and it voiced the turn directions, does this mean the Nim is bad, I tried a second one, this too did not work. The radio does not cut out when the gps is giving directions.

Wow, I sure am a newbie.. Did not see the responses, thanks all for the help. Yes, the 660 is the HD unit, and I believe is have the wiring down however many of the threads I have read speak of swapping the wires to the 35 pin connector if you have an iPod module, which I do. I followed the instructions to a T... Are the instructions wrong?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 10:00:37 PM by Tomtune1 »
TTCVO

Tomtune1

• Tomtune1

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 10:05:14 PM »

How did you install the wires for the NIM harness into the 35 wire connector on the HK radio?  I ask because it's pretty common for civilians NOT to install them correctly resulting in the wires not making contact with the pin-outs of the HK.

Carl

Carl, not following here. I double checked the pins to be sure they were installed exactly as the others, I can see how you could put them in so they would be short.. This is a good thought i will check again.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 10:11:20 PM by Tomtune1 »
TTCVO

Iron Cross Audio

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Iron Cross Audio
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 07:35:45 AM »

Check your headphone / speaker switch. Make sure you dont have it set for the NIM audio to go to the headset.

Tomtune1

• Tomtune1

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »

Switch is in the speaker mode, checked. Maybe I am missing something else. I wired the 35 pin connector using the wiring diagram that came with both the iPod/navigation connector.
Pin 4 - red/black stripe
Pin 8 - tan/red stripe
Pin 19 - violet /grey stripe
Pin 27 - black/blue stripe
Pin 31 - tan/blue stripe

The diagram shows a yellow/orange wire to pin 13 and a yellow/ violet wire to pin 14, are these necessary? Do you know what they are for?
TTCVO

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 06:33:06 AM »

The diagram shows a yellow/orange wire to pin 13 and a yellow/ violet wire to pin 14, are these necessary? Do you know what they are for?

These are the CAN (+) and CAN (-) signals. They are used for accessory module discovery (XM, CB, iPod, etc).

These signals are already present on the 35-pin connector of the 2009 SE Ultra - they are carried through as part of the 6B/6A chain with the NIM/iPod harness. The 5 additional wires that you pinned to J28 (35-pos connector) are unique to the functions of the NIM and the iPod. The instructions show to break the existing 6b/6A chain and to insert the NIM/iPod harness "into" this chain - thus providing the CAN signals (and others) to the rest of the accessory modules when/if needed.

Gotta ask the easy stuff first .... is the Audio setup on the 660 set to a volume that is reasonable? If the audio settings on the RT 660 are set low (or muted) you won't hear any voice prompts. An easy check is to set a source (XM, CD, etc) then cause an action that would require voice override. If the source is muted but no audio is heard - check the RT 660 settings and/or the speaker switch on the fairing cap. If the source is never muted then it is most likely an NIM or wiring issue.

Hope this helps...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 07:12:32 AM by TIF2 »
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

Tomtune1

• Tomtune1

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 11:40:42 AM »

I have it set to max, the issue is it won't intrupet at all. Audio coming out of the speakers is good, Road Tech 660 volume on high, speaker switch set to speakers, checked all pins, they are good right at the bottom as they should be. Tried another NIM from the dealer, no luck.

I feel like there is something I have missed but I just can't find it.

I did speak to the Garmin advanced support and the were willing to swap the unit, not sure I want to do that as I. Tested it going to the aux in and it worked fine. The issue I feel is the NIM or the radio. Toughts?
TTCVO

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 12:02:07 PM »

Don't discount that the 660 is bad.  It sends a signal to the NIM to interupt the radio.  Garmin had some "issues" with their units.  One thing to try before sending the unit back to Garmin for exchange...make sure the firmware in the 660 is updated to the latest version.

My system started flaking out on me last year...had the dealer replace the NIM with the newest "A" version part number (old part number was known to have issues), and while things improved, it finally got where it would only give an audio prompt on initial start of a route, then no further directions.  Sent the unit back to Garmin for exchange and the new one is working fine to date.  The dealer can send it back, but it will take longer...do it yourself.  About a week turnaround, depending on your location and shipping method.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Tomtune1

• Tomtune1

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 12:12:35 PM »

Awesome, thanks. I will try that route.
TTCVO

Tomtune1

• Tomtune1

Re: NIM/IPod module not working
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 12:52:09 PM »

Ok, went threw and checked all the wires, tried hooking ip an iPod and the radio is not seeing it. No nim/no ipod, Any ideas.
TTCVO

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 07:34:16 AM »

Check to see if you have the latest software for the radio and IPod installed on the radio. Just one more thing I can think of to try, it might solve your problem and might not but it is worth checking anyway.

Also if you do not see NIM/Phone on the radio face when a turn prompt is being sent or you do not see IPod when cycling through the modes then check to see if the CAN + and CAN - wires are installed correctly. Other then a CAN wiring problem your radio might be bad.

It is hard to troubleshoot a wiring problem.

Link for radio software:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/Genuine_Motor_Accessories/advanced-audio-system.html

Tomtune1

• Tomtune1

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 11:33:44 AM »

Will do. Thanks.
TTCVO

Tomtune1

• Tomtune1

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 07:24:23 PM »

Sitting in front of the bike, digging in again.. One thing I noticed, the instructions state, "for all installations, mate the six-way connectors (6A) and (6B) of the nim/iPod harness to connectors (6B) on the vehicle interconnect harness (this one I cannot locate) and (6A) on the vehicle audio harness ( it would be safe to say this one is coming out of the radio and it is connected.

Where is the plug on the vehicle interconnect harness. Do I need to do this on the Road Glide?
TTCVO

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 09:23:33 PM »

many new hd's do NOT have a 6b- ruins your day im sure

there ARE ways to make a custom harness that supply a 6b

but its all custom - nothing you can buy will fix it

to

Tomtune1

• Tomtune1

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 10:50:27 PM »

Ok, I'm listening. Really need to get this fixed, Laconia is coming and the bike is on the lift.
TTCVO

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 07:11:10 AM »

Without connecting to the 6a connector your NIM and IPod will not work. This connector is where the CAN + and CAN - wires get connected. without the CAN wires the radio will not see the NIM or the IPOD. I would say that if you did not splice the CAN wires from the NIM and IPOD into the radio's CAN wires then this is your problem. You can just find these wires and splice the wires from the NIM and IPOD onto them or make a 6a connector.

This thread will help you.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=66425.0

Jim

Tomtune1

• Tomtune1

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 11:27:24 PM »

Jim, really appreciate your input... so a picture is worth a thousand words.. you can see i have all the connections hooked up, the one 6-pin in my hand is not connected, shoule it be?

Tom
TTCVO

Tomtune1

• Tomtune1

Re: NIM and iPod interface
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 10:29:14 PM »

Can anyone tell me if the picture posted looks wrong. I checked the nim (A version) and the road Tech HD Garmin is correct.. I believe the wiring in the picture is wrong or missing something...
TTCVO

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 06:11:24 PM »

Do you have the HD 2009 Touring Model Service Manual and FLTRSE3 supplement?

Carl

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2012, 08:02:30 PM »

Looking at that pic.....and going from memory from when the NIM and IPOD module first came out....the 2nd 6 pin adapter is only used if you have both NIM and IPOD adapter..

Tomtune1

• Tomtune1

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2012, 09:39:46 PM »

Yes I have both the iPod and nim installed, the radio is not seeing both
TTCVO

Tomtune1

• Tomtune1

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2012, 10:29:40 PM »

Yes I have both the manual and the supplement.
TTCVO

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2012, 08:18:19 PM »

You get it handled?
Alan

Tomtune1

• Tomtune1

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2012, 09:08:56 PM »

No sir. I just got back into town, was just outside in the garage looking at it. Almost ready to throw in the towel.
TTCVO

Tomtune1

• Tomtune1

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2012, 09:11:35 PM »

I believe it is the harness shown in the picture, I must have it wrong.
TTCVO

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2012, 10:41:31 PM »

If you check with the guys at San Diego Harley 619-890-3345 (great group!) I am sure they will help you out. see this thread...
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=74903.0
Alan

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2012, 06:45:16 AM »

The picture you posted helped a LOT.
If you notice the connection that is resting between your index and middle finger it is not filly pinned with CAN + and CAN -, nor are those signals pinned on J28 (the 35 position connector) of the radio.

I'm assuming, of course, that the wrapped side of that connection is coming from the main harness on the bike.

What is interesting is I'm not sure what the wires that ARE pinned on the bike harness side are for. In general, bikes with the new 100w/ch audio system do not have the 6B ineterconnect harness, so I'm not sure what that DT-06 connector is supplying. I wouldn't trust that it is wired as a 6B and missing the CAN signals only.

More than likeley you'll need to create a fully populated 6B in order for the iPod and NIM to function.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 06:52:19 AM by TIF2 »
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2012, 10:02:25 PM »

These are the instructions for using the 69200033 harness with the NIM/iPod if your bike doesn't already have an Ultra audio harness or non-Ultra Overlay Harness--which your bike doesn't based on the picture of the connector at the 35 pin out of the HK:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J05181.pdf

You'll note that under "Installation" step 3, you are to insert two wires into the 6B connector already on your bike.  Based on the picture, those wires were not inserted, and those wires supply the CAN + and - so that the HK radio will "see" the iPod and NIM--the presence of the two white seal plugs in the 6B connector confirm that the two wires from the 69200033 have not been installed.

The left over connector in your hand remains so.

Hope you get it figured out.

Carl
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 02:07:27 AM by Harleypingman »

Tomtune1

• Tomtune1

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2012, 08:47:13 PM »

Bingo, I knew it was something simple. Thank you, all is one with the world... And working fine
TTCVO

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2012, 02:10:07 AM »

Glad to help.  I've had a couple of exeriences installing an accessory; convinced I did everything per the instructions; and, only to find it didn't work.  99.9% of the time is "operator error," i.e. my mistake.

Carl

PS:  Edited my previous post to include the instructions I previously omitted.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 20 queries.