Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Is This the Fix for Front End Wobble on Baggers?  (Read 15921 times)

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
Is This the Fix for Front End Wobble on Baggers?
« on: October 11, 2009, 06:51:25 PM »

Any of you guys with the front end wobble problem tried these triple trees from Custom Cycle Engineering?  I don't know anything about them, but there is a good article in the tech section of the November issue of American Bagger Mag.  Claims to fix the front end wobble on baggers...  :nixweiss:
http://www.ccesd.us/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=207&zenid=7e3b7c3459abdc8033192c3a29898ac6
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Re: Is This the Fix for Front End Wobble on Baggers?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 07:35:02 PM »

Custom Cycle Engineering has a solid reputation for quality triple trees and fork braces. The additional clamping area provided by their new top tree design should provide some added rigidity to the front end. If that is the cause of your front end wobble, this product should be an effective cure.

If only it was that easy. With further research, I am confident you will discover several other potential causes and an equal number of "fixes" for the ill handling manners of many baggers. In the past I have tried several of the fixes and found them to vary in their effectiveness, but never found a single one to fully remedy the problem.

Since I took possession of my '09 SERG3, I am happy to report that even at triple digit speeds, I have not experienced the slightest hint of a wobble. I can't say for sure whether the stability is attributable to the redesigned frame and motor mounting system, the frame mounted fairing design of the RG, or a combination the two, but I know that it is stable.

Another consideration for me is the additional expense of refitting the required longer fork tubes with my Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 internals. That will easily push the price well over $1k.

I'll be sitting this one out and waiting for others to report their findings on this new kit.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 07:57:17 PM by hdfr120 »
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 08:37:57 PM »

Almost a thousand bucks?  For fork mounts?  :puke:

:oops:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 09:01:58 PM »

well......what if they're cool, diamond-cut with matching RED powdercoated inserts......... ???        har.  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 09:06:41 PM »

$945 for "show chrome tubes", $1045 for "hard chrome tubes".  Never saw a Harley accessory company charge less for "show chrome" before.

In reading the small amount of info available on their site, it appears the change is in the amount of "engagement" of the tubes.  I wasn't aware that there was insufficient engagement with the stock tree's, but I guess if you subscribe to the more or bigger is better theory of mechanical engineering it might make sense.  I don't see anything about changing rake or trail, which is one of the big contributors to front end stability problems.  I also don't see anything that would eliminate the aerodynamic issues presented by the batwing.  So for roughly $1000 you get maybe a slightly more rigid connection between the fork tubes and the trees.  What about the long stretch between the bottom tree and the axle, don't suppose that will flex just as much as usual?

It's amazing to me how so many people have made a living off selling "fixes", real or imagined, for the various shortcomings of H-D's products over the years.  H-D probably should receive an award or two for all they have done to help create new business opportunities and jobs.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 09:08:50 PM »

$945 for "show chrome tubes", $1045 for "hard chrome tubes".  Never saw a Harley accessory company charge less for "show chrome" before.

In reading the small amount of info available on their site, it appears the change is in the amount of "engagement" of the tubes.  I wasn't aware that there was insufficient engagement with the stock tree's, but I guess if you subscribe to the more or bigger is better theory of mechanical engineering it might make sense.  I don't see anything about changing rake or trail, which is one of the big contributors to front end stability problems.  I also don't see anything that would eliminate the aerodynamic issues presented by the batwing.  So for roughly $1000 you get maybe a slightly more rigid connection between the fork tubes and the trees.  What about the long stretch between the bottom tree and the axle, don't suppose that will flex just as much as usual?

It's amazing to me how so many people have made a living off selling "fixes", real or imagined, for the various shortcomings of H-D's products over the years.  H-D probably should receive an award or two for all they have done to help create new business opportunities and jobs.

Jerry

Too true Jerry.  Another nominee for the Nobel Prize for Advertising.  Unless you can make manufacture a distinction to the difference you can't sell the product.  Even to Harley owners.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 03:26:27 PM »

We use steering dampers such as these on the dirt bikes for scrambles, desert, etc. Works great on the dirt bikes, but an ugly addition for the street.  Two different street kits below.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 08:12:25 PM »

::)
" I am happy to report that even at triple digit speeds, I have not experienced the slightest hint of a wobble.".........I haven't seen any high-speed wobble either,  but at crawl type speeds,  10mph or less,  I've noticed some front-end wobble that I cannot identify.  Will be having the dealer check out Service bulletin M-1246 on mine......(about 2009 Touring steering head bearing adjustment). :pepper:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 10:04:17 AM »

We use steering dampers such as these on the dirt bikes for scrambles, desert, etc. Works great on the dirt bikes, but an ugly addition for the street.  Two different street kits below.

I don't believe Storz makes anything suitable for the FL's. I'm considering adding the steering damper assembly the comes on the new TriGlides to my SERK3! That one should work on any FL from what I can see! A lil pricey though! ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 10:21:42 AM »

I don't believe Storz makes anything suitable for the FL's. I'm considering adding the steering damper assembly the comes on the new TriGlides to my SERK3! That one should work on any FL from what I can see! A lil pricey though! ;)

How much, Howie?  Let us know if you do and your assessment.  thanks.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 10:25:38 AM »

How much, Howie?  Let us know if you do and your assessment.  thanks.  spyder

Still thinking on it spyder, but I'll prolly order the parts from Jenni when I order the rest of the parts I need to get Cybil back together. I've already contacted Jenni anout it and the P/N's need to be pulled fom a TriGlide Parts Manual and ordered individually. It should be as simple as 2 brackets, hardware, and the damper itself. I believe it's about 500 bucks! If I get it, I'll post the pics and P/N's, and of course my assessment. ;)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 11:09:03 AM »

Still thinking on it spyder, but I'll prolly order the parts from Jenni when I order the rest of the parts I need to get Cybil back together. I've already contacted Jenni anout it and the P/N's need to be pulled fom a TriGlide Parts Manual and ordered individually. It should be as simple as 2 brackets, hardware, and the damper itself. I believe it's about 500 bucks! If I get it, I'll post the pics and P/N's, and of course my assessment. ;)

hey howie glad youre back, killing time in SJU waiting to fly back to NYC . I wonder what kind of wobble are you having? That you would need the damper, I alway felt it on my 06 but not really on the 09 but I don't have that much miles yet, is the wobble bad?

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Hogtunes Front/Rear speakers
Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Dakota digital dash gauges
Saddlebag extensions
Clearview windshield/vent
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 09:18:18 PM »

I'llbe interested in your "assessment". Also how the install goes!

Chrome O

• 2009 SEUC Ruby Red
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 11:14:39 PM »

09 SE ULTRA CLASSIC,
I developed a bit of a wobble at high speed but I would really have called it a "weave" I had tire cupping front and rear, first replaced both tires, at roughly 4500 miles.... Paid full price for tires and labor,,, reason giving was improper air pressure, I argued that I checked often and never rode on low air. Paid of course.

Still had the weave, but only slightly, and only over triple digits, but it was still unnerving just the same.  After reading posts here I installed a set of Botubtos and Traxxion's much, much better but still there.  The dealer that installed my shocks "Houston Trike and Trailers" strongly encouraged me to take it back to HD as I had 5 wheel weights on the front and he had never seen that many and believed the wheel may have been out of round or just a bad tire. 

San Jac HD Dealer Pasadena Tx pulled it apart just a few days later and just before a planed trip to Arkansas and found the front bearings going out it was so bad the bearing feel out of the wheel and so bad the race was had wallowed out the wheel, when they put the new bearing back in they felt it was unsafe so they found a replacement front wheel at a nearby dealer and just replaced the entire wheel and the tire as the cupping was starting again after just a couple of thousand miles.  The HD dealership did all this and got the price of the tires and labor covered by the Moco..  That greatly offset the price of the shocks, THANK GOD
The weave is gone and the handling is incredible and my passenger loves the better ride quality as I do as well.
I took some turns in Arkansas with the new setup that my riding buddy could NOT believe and he could not keep up, and before we where wheel to wheel all day long.

You should have the dealer check it out...
What ever you think   ----your right---

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 10:25:03 PM »

Well, I think I'm about ready to order this CCE Dresser Triple Tree conversion kit. I see in the first few posts, they refer to over a thousand bucks for it. I see it today on CCE's site at $745 for Show Chrome, and $845 for Hard Chrome. WTF's? the difference anyway? I would think show chrome's more expensive. What's the deal here?

Also, anyone know who distributes CCE? I'd like to try to get it thru a 20% off dealer like Jenni. About $675 for the HC. Is it available thru distributors for the dealers?

I'll also have to send the fork legs back to Traxxion for them to rebuild them with the new fork tubes that come with the kit. But it's winter work and Cybil's not going anywhere for awhile anyway!

I also have the parts for the TriGlide Ohlins steering damper assembly. Real quality chit! Chip also sent me a nice chrome Progressive one. I'm going to see if that one works too. I'll keep on the one that works best.

So I'm expecting to really support and stiffen the front up with these mods. Hopefully this strength, support and rigidity will provide the additional stability I'm looking for! :drummer: :2vrolijk_21: ;)

Dresser Triple Trees 2002-2008 All Road King's

« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 10:29:33 PM by Hoist! »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 10:29:11 PM »

The kit consists of the upper billet tree w/3-1/2" of support and a normal pinch bolt arrangement (see photo in previous post), and new longer chrome fork tubes, and fork tube nuts. ;)

"It’s all up front baby! Dramatic handling improvement with new Custom Cycle Engineering billet pinch bolt top plates for all the FLH Touring Models. The new top plate tames ill handling Dressers not with rear stabilizers but with over 2 ¼” of clamping power on the front forks. Replaces the Factory top triple tree style that has been in use for over 60 years, with racing engineered technology. Feel dramatic improvement in handling, tracking and overall stabilization. Kit includes billet pinch bolt top plate, fork tube nuts and longer 41mm fork tubes that maintain stock ride height."

« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 10:31:51 PM by Hoist! »

rlavigna

• Elite CVO Member
  • FKA: Rich07

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: '07 SERK (retired)
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 10:54:52 PM »

The kit consists of the upper billet tree w/3-1/2" of support and a normal pinch bolt arrangement (see photo in previous post), and new longer chrome fork tubes, and fork tube nuts. ;)

"It’s all up front baby! Dramatic handling improvement with new Custom Cycle Engineering billet pinch bolt top plates for all the FLH Touring Models. The new top plate tames ill handling Dressers not with rear stabilizers but with over 2 ¼” of clamping power on the front forks. Replaces the Factory top triple tree style that has been in use for over 60 years, with racing engineered technology. Feel dramatic improvement in handling, tracking and overall stabilization. Kit includes billet pinch bolt top plate, fork tube nuts and longer 41mm fork tubes that maintain stock ride height."

The proof will have to be to see if it works.  If the company is certain they will work they should provide a 100% refund within (at least) 90 days/  Who will be the tester.  Howie?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 11:14:35 PM »

The proof will have to be to see if it works.  If the company is certain they will work they should provide a 100% refund within (at least) 90 days/  Who will be the tester.  Howie?

HeHe!!! I just said I was testing it! And if I get it, you think I'm taking it apart again before 90 days to return it?! Man, I think that fairing's clogged your brain or something?!!! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

rlavigna

• Elite CVO Member
  • FKA: Rich07

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: '07 SERK (retired)
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2009, 11:48:39 PM »

Yup... I have fairingittis.  Let me know when you want to test the anti-wobble gizmo.  We can go for a cold hell ride.  And no I am not Fred so we will be on our own bikes. 

HeHe!!! I just said I was testing it! And if I get it, you think I'm taking it apart again before 90 days to return it?! Man, I think that fairing's clogged your brain or something?!!! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2009, 11:59:06 PM »

Yup... I have fairingittis.  Let me know when you want to test the anti-wobble gizmo.  We can go for a cold hell ride.  And no I am not Fred so we will be on our own bikes.  

HeHe!!! WISE ASS!!! :P :D :D :D ;)

If the weather let's up, I might be picking Joy up from Dominick tomorrow! What's up for tomorrow? ???

igofar

• Senior CVO Member
  • IBA #27368
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2009, 03:10:32 PM »

:jack:
Well maybe not...
With all this talk of the front end causing our Bagger Swagger this might be the perfect place to bounce my theory off you smart guys.
Ever ride a chopper with no front fender? Then put a lower fork brace on it? Feels way better huh?

I think these bikes need more support for the LOWER legs! Some kind of brace that fits inside the front fender.
Put a bagger front wheel in a vise and turn the handlebars... see how much movement there is?
That movement is the flex in the lower legs and I would be $5 of my own money that is some of the goofy feeling in the hi speed turns...

Well?

Brad

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »

I think it's a lot of things....esp. the lack of trail on a bagger to get the hulkers to turn easy in a parking lot.  ??? spyder

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2009, 04:35:40 PM »

I think it's a lot of things....esp. the lack of trail on a bagger to get the hulkers to turn easy in a parking lot.  ??? spyder

It IS a possibility of a lotta things spyder! The very first step is to make sure the bike is perfectly within specs! Alignment, neck bearing adjustment, swingarm.....EVERYTHING setup by the book. Which HD doesn't even do for you when the bike's new! Oh yeah, sure it's supposed to be! But it's not! ???

I think Brad might be onto to something too, which is why I was considering that more supportive upper tree. But that's in a further location from where Brad's suggesting it be supported. We can't easily mount a fork truss on these front ends with the cowbells, but if the truss helps, the cowbells aren't important. Thanks for throwing another variable in the mix now Brad! I'm trying the TriGlide steering damper instead right now! ;)

And in the spirit of having patience (see Don, I'm willing to try! ::)), after talking to Dom, I decided to do this one step at a time, as dj suggested elsewhere. So I'll hold off ordering this CCE tree conversion for now, to see how much setting the bike up PERFECTLY matters. We will install the damper, as I have it and would really like to try it. I'm also removing the Dyna Beads and balancing the wheels again the normal way. Let's see step-by-step, how much difference, if any, these changes matter to the way the bike rides. :2vrolijk_21:

I will however be doing all of the Primary mods I wanted to do; the SE comp, IDS, HB-125 Hyd auto primary chain adjuster, and 31T trans pulley change. I'll also be replacing the rest of the damaged parts I didn't get to replace yet after the accident. And I'll have the headpipe Jet Hot coated too now. Bike should be good to go again in a few weeks after all this work. :smilie_staub: :smilie_staub: :smilie_staub:

Patience grasshopper! Shhesh, did I just write that?!!! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2009, 04:47:34 PM »

Patience grasshopper! Shhesh, did I just write that?!!! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Soon Howie go "boom"  :mad:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2009, 04:56:31 PM »

Nixing the Dynabeads, huh?  I guess you'll be stripping the Glare off to see if that matters next.  ::) :-[ :-X :'( har!  :drink: spyder

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member
  • Be responsible of yourself.

• CVO1: "2007"FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: "2004" 3500 Dodge Diesel Long bed DRW 4X4 HD "Laramie'
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2009, 04:59:44 PM »

Question:
What if you had the front end lowered with Progressive springs? Is the kit any different?

Vagabond :nixweiss:
Expect the Unexpected
For FRIENDS are always welcomed, and ASSOCIATES are somewhat tolerated.  But all are equally rewarded with Karma...Good or Evil.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2009, 05:00:21 PM »

Nixing the Dynabeads, huh?  I guess you'll be stripping the Glare off to see if that matters next.  ::) :-[ :-X :'( har!  :drink: spyder

I told youze earlier I wasn't sold on those things. If everything's perfect after I'm done here. I might experiment with them again. But right now, I think it' "go back to basics" time! ;)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2009, 05:01:56 PM »

Nixing the Dynabeads, huh?  I guess you'll be stripping the Glare off to see if that matters next.  ::) :-[ :-X :'( har!  :drink: spyder

But what about that hexavalent bonding? ??? :o ;D

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2009, 05:02:54 PM »

But what about that hexavalent bonding? ??? :o ;D

Glare? WTF is that? ::) :P :nixweiss: :D :D :D ;)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2009, 05:05:29 PM »

I told youze earlier I wasn't sold on those things. If everything's perfect after I'm done here. I might experiment with them again. But right now, I think it' "go back to basics" time! ;)

Patience and back to basics.... all in the same day. :shocked2:.... In the famous words of Fred Sanford.... "Elizabeth I think I'm coming to see you!!!" :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2009, 05:08:18 PM »

Patience and back to basics.... all in the same day. :shocked2:.... In the famous words of Fred Sanford.... "Elizabeth I think I'm coming to see you!!!" :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nervous: :nervous: :nervous: :2vrolijk_21: ;)

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2009, 05:09:00 PM »

Well maybe not...
With all this talk of the front end causing our Bagger Swagger this might be the perfect place to bounce my theory off you smart guys.
Ever ride a chopper with no front fender? Then put a lower fork brace on it? Feels way better huh?

I think these bikes need more support for the LOWER legs! Some kind of brace that fits inside the front fender.
Put a bagger front wheel in a vise and turn the handlebars... see how much movement there is?
That movement is the flex in the lower legs and I would be $5 of my own money that is some of the goofy feeling in the hi speed turns...

Well?

Brad
I 've done that once with a GL1800, it did wonders on the tracking. :2vrolijk_21:
Expect the Unexpected
For FRIENDS are always welcomed, and ASSOCIATES are somewhat tolerated.  But all are equally rewarded with Karma...Good or Evil.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2009, 05:11:37 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Still a few hours left in the day where he might say he needs a fairing, too! :o :shocked2: :P

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2009, 05:16:48 PM »

Still a few hours left in the day where he might say he needs a fairing, too! :o :shocked2: :P

I think if that happened he'd be the one using that famous Fred Sanford line. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SE Junkie

• CVO Addict
  • 2005 SE2 (SEEG)

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
    • CVO2: 2001 FLTRSEI2
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • My CVO Bikes
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2009, 07:11:39 AM »

Thanks folks!  At least I don't feel all alone and crazy about what HD tells me is my imagination!  Who is Jenny?   I'd like to get 20% off too.

Thanks again. I'll keep looking for your experiences learned and up date you as to my success (or not). :2vrolijk_21:
It's all about the ride & the people you ride with.

2005 FLHTCSE2, Luxury & Teal Green, AKA: SEEG

2001 FLTRSEI2- WAS 100% stock, Black, Platinum silver & Charcoal, AKA: SERG.

2009 FLTRSE3, Stardust Silver & Titanium Dust, AKA: SERG.

SE Junkie

• CVO Addict
  • 2005 SE2 (SEEG)

• My CVO Bikes
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2009, 07:16:07 AM »

I think Fred Sanford said, as he clutched his chest "Elizabeth, Here I come. I'm a comin Elizabeth" :orange: :bananarock: ;D

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2009, 01:20:55 PM »

To all concerned about CCE's modification, I had a long dialogue with Rick about the their modification on the triple tree. It is a sound investment. For the 2007 FLHT the Hard Chrome was listed at $845.00 before shipping. I will be doing it to "Ole Blue" in the near future. 8)
Expect the Unexpected

SE Junkie

• CVO Addict
  • 2005 SE2 (SEEG)

• My CVO Bikes
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2009, 04:10:45 PM »

Well folks, I thank you for the input.  I am going to try 2 things. First I ordered the fork dampner  made for the trike.  A band-aid, perhaps?  But I am bleeding.  Next is the rear end.  I am hearing much about the Traxxion set up!  I haven't heard much on the STA-BO. 

Does anyone care to comment on their experiences with STO-BO?

Thanks much for the guidance.  All I will be able to give back is the results when all is done!

DrSpencer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2013, 10:28:21 PM »

I have a 2011 FLHX with Traxxion Dynamics AK-20's up front.

I'm considering adding Custom Cycle Engineering's triple tree.

Does anyone have experience using both kits?

Thanks

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2013, 10:26:47 AM »

After riding the bike with the AK20's and then getting on a stock bike is when you realize how much better they are and how crappy stock is.

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2013, 09:27:45 PM »

Well maybe not...

Well?

I agree with this assessment 100%  It is the twisting in the lower fork legs and the fork tubes at the fork seal area that is the weak spot. If you sit on the bike and give the handlebars a good shake back and forth, you can feel the front wheel flopping back and forth like it's loose. This is the wobble you feel when you hit a bump going around corners.  With a fork brace on the lower fork legs this twist will be eliminated. Would be a great little aftermarket part. A sleek fork brace that would fit under the front fender. To late now that the new forks are out.   

Brad
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 21 queries.