Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All

Author Topic: New Wet Motor Coming ??  (Read 18144 times)

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
Re: New Wet Motor Coming ??
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2011, 03:31:54 PM »

Has anyone seen the new EPA disclosure on the 2012's ?

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2011, 03:52:25 PM »

You could have the first edition of both SE's, air/wet.  :2vrolijk_21:  Doc

I'm getting Nancy a 2013 SE something.
I guess it's ok if it's wet but thinking I would rather have the 120R.
By then the knowledgeable people on the site will have all the concerns worked out on the 120.

;)

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2011, 04:41:23 PM »

The V-Rod and it's motor is not my kind of Harley. I recall years back before I bought a HD that a salesman showed me one of the new V-Rods starting it up and saying listen to this. What a poor job of selling. Sounded like every other Jap bike that I had ever heard. Sucked and no character, hated it and walked off thinking that Harleys used to sound good.

Traditions are becoming less and less important and soon may die. Example of the Cuban cigar manufacture's dropping age old sizes of classic cigars to market to the young(ignorant) and hip(stupid).

I guess it is a sign that I am getting old when I recall the traditions with a fondness. Let HD go ahead and "modernize" with the new generation of Honda knock-offs. Guess the Japs will have the last laugh.

Sure Harleys are slow, hot and heavy with poor hp/ci ratios but we buy them because they are different holding to traditions that root us in loved past. We love to bitch about them and change them to fit us but if an outsider trashes them we wall up and defend the flag of the bar and shield.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2011, 05:11:36 PM »

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

Master Guns

• Senior CVO Member
  • USMC MGySgt Retired (1968 - 1990)

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2011, 06:20:18 PM »

The V-Rod and it's motor is not my kind of Harley. I recall years back before I bought a HD that a salesman showed me one of the new V-Rods starting it up and saying listen to this. What a poor job of selling. Sounded like every other Jap bike that I had ever heard. Sucked and no character, hated it and walked off thinking that Harleys used to sound good.

Traditions are becoming less and less important and soon may die. Example of the Cuban cigar manufacture's dropping age old sizes of classic cigars to market to the young(ignorant) and hip(stupid).

I guess it is a sign that I am getting old when I recall the traditions with a fondness. Let HD go ahead and "modernize" with the new generation of Honda knock-offs. Guess the Japs will have the last laugh.

Sure Harleys are slow, hot and heavy with poor hp/ci ratios but we buy them because they are different holding to traditions that root us in loved past. We love to bitch about them and change them to fit us but if an outsider trashes them we wall up and defend the flag of the bar and shield.

Very well put Dr.D!
Semper Fi

You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Half_Crazy

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2011, 08:56:44 PM »

The V-Rod and it's motor is not my kind of Harley.

I can't see the 'faithful' embracing the V-Rod motor in a touring bike. Yeah, they make OK horsepower, but the V-Rod is a dog below 5000 RPM and they make like 75 ft/lbs of torque and make it way up the tach. This is all wrong for a heavy bike, loaded with gear and 2 people, heading up a mountain at 6000' elevation... I don't see it being a big seller.

People who are into that sort of "spin it to get it" power would buy a sport-tourer like the Yamaha FJR, Honda ST1300, Ducati ST4, Triumph Sprint GT, or Kawasaki Concours 1400. The joy of big V-twins is GRUNT, especially on a heavy touring bike. If it ain't got the grunt, the typical Harley rider won't like it... and it don't go potato/potato either. In fact, a V-Rod with pipes on it doesn't sound like a Harley at all.

Oh, and motorcycles don't have radiators.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 05:56:16 AM by Half_Crazy »

Half_Crazy

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2011, 06:21:58 AM »

Sure Harleys are slow, hot and heavy with poor hp/ci ratios but we buy them because they are different holding to traditions that root us in loved past.

I have some stupid questions:
How come S&S can make emissions certified "Harley motors" that make decent power, stay together, and don't burn blisters on your thighs... but Harley Davidson can't?

How come Yamaha can build air cooled/pushrod/single-pin crank engines that run reasonably cool, stay together, and make 90 horespower out of the crate... but Harley Davidson can't?

The company who has been making air-cooled V-twins the longest should be really good at this, right? I can't get my mind around it.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2011, 07:32:31 AM »

All I know is there's no chance I will buy one for at least three years.  They have a really bad track record on new engines and this one would have a new fluid to leak.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2011, 08:52:31 AM »

All I know is there's no chance I will buy one for at least three years.  They have a really bad track record on new engines and this one would have a new fluid to leak.
And what amt. of leaking fluid would be within their approved tolerance so as to not be a warrented/fixable problem?  :-\ spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2011, 09:01:49 AM »

And what amt. of leaking fluid would be within their approved tolerance so as to not be a warrented/fixable problem?  :-\ spyder

Now that's funny...     :huepfenlol2:

"They all do that..."

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Half_Crazy

« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2011, 10:35:01 AM »

Now that's funny...     :huepfenlol2:
"They all do that..."

It'd be a pretty hard sell to say "They all leak there" or "That leak is normal".....

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2011, 10:47:50 AM »

I have some stupid questions:
How come S&S can make emissions certified "Harley motors" that make decent power, stay together, and don't burn blisters on your thighs... but Harley Davidson can't?

How come Yamaha can build air cooled/pushrod/single-pin crank engines that run reasonably cool, stay together, and make 90 horespower out of the crate... but Harley Davidson can't?

The company who has been making air-cooled V-twins the longest should be really good at this, right? I can't get my mind around it.

I am not smart enough tom respond to this question.   Neither is any one at HD. :huepfenlol2: Still love the bikes, ain't I sick?

Half_Crazy

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2011, 12:07:03 PM »

Still love the bikes, ain't I sick?

I mean, is it that they won't make it happen or they don't care.... or is it that they ALREADY mave a new motor in the works and won't spend money improving on the old one??? I guess time will tell.

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2011, 01:16:36 PM »

I mean, is it that they won't make it happen or they don't care.... or is it that they ALREADY have a new motor in the works and won't spend money improving on the old one??? I guess time will tell.

According to rules of human behavior nothing will change until pain forces them. Unfortunately HD sells like crazy so the impetuous for change is to small. Why spend when they don't have to? They just started pushing the new 103 so I doubt they nave a new motor in the works. You are right though time will tell.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2011, 01:39:41 PM »

No reason in the world that they couldn't develop a water cooled 45° V-twin with a common crankpin.  And it's the angle and common crankpin that determines that "sound" so many of you seem to think is so important, not the method of cooling.  The V-Rod sounds different because the V angle is different, not because it has water jackets and a radiator.  And btw, on the subject of sound, if they had water cooling they could run tighter clearances and the water jackets would insulate some of the excessive mechanical noise that causes Harley to run such quiet mufflers to meet overall noise emission standards.  Quiet the mechanicals and you can open up the exhaust.

There will come a time when the current formula of just increasing displacement to maintain the anemic performance levels will come to an end.  The current design can only accomodate so much bore and stroke, and it's getting pretty close to the max.  Right now, they are just treading water (pun intended) but they will eventually have to sink or swim.  I'm still waiting to see if current management has the balls to make the tough choices, or if they just maintain the status quo, take the money, and run. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 21 queries.