Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All

Author Topic: New Wet Motor Coming ??  (Read 18194 times)

Half_Crazy

Re: New Wet Motor Coming ??
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2011, 01:45:05 PM »

According to rules of human behavior nothing will change until pain forces them. Unfortunately HD sells like crazy so the impetuous for change is to small. Why spend when they don't have to? They just started pushing the new 103 so I doubt they nave a new motor in the works. You are right though time will tell.

Been thinkin' (dangerous, I know). If they wanted to avoid water cooling, it would be a fairly easy modify the oiling system and change to an air/oil cooling system, put an oil cooler in the system, and maybe even a fan on the oil cooler for traffic/parade mode. Maybe even a little more cooling fin area on the jugs/heads without changing the general shape of the engine and larger oil capacity would help too.

Half_Crazy

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2011, 01:47:51 PM »

The V-Rod sounds different because the V angle is different, not because it has water jackets and a radiator.

Is the V-Rod a single-pin crank? I can't find anything one way or the other on it.

Oh, never mind, I found this:

"Without question, specifications of the Revolution motor are indeed high-tech, yet remain grounded in Harley tradition. A V-twin configuration was a given, though the spread between the cylinders was increased from the usual 45 degrees to a smoother-running 60 degrees. Both connecting rods still share the same crankshaft journal, but the crank itself is now a stronger one-piece forged unit rather than Harley's usual three-piece design"

Here:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/2002-harley-davidson-vrsca-v-rod.htm

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 01:52:15 PM by Half_Crazy »

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2011, 01:55:25 PM »

Been thinkin' (dangerous, I know). If they wanted to avoid water cooling, it would be a fairly easy modify the oiling system and change to an air/oil cooling system, put an oil cooler in the system, and maybe even a fan on the oil cooler for traffic/parade mode. Maybe even a little more cooling fin area on the jugs/heads without changing the general shape of the engine and larger oil capacity would help too.

Remember mate your best thinkin has gotten you to where you are today.LOL Quit thinking or do better. :huepfenlol2:

We both know the big brains at HD have thought of it but the small brains of the fiscal dept. have cancelled the improvements. You are correct of course. ;)

You reckon any body at HD reads our stuff?? They ought to.

Half_Crazy

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2011, 02:10:43 PM »

Remember mate your best thinkin has gotten you to where you are today.LOL Quit thinking or do better. :huepfenlol2:

We both know the big brains at HD have thought of it but the small brains of the fiscal dept. have cancelled the improvements. You are correct of course. ;)

You reckon any body at HD reads our stuff?? They ought to.

I think they need to hire you at some ridiculous salary so you can make it all right!

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2011, 02:52:28 PM »

I think they need to hire you at some ridiculous salary so you can make it all right!

30% to ya under the table mate. Heck I'd have to get my good ideas from somewhere. :2vrolijk_21:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2011, 04:25:47 PM »

They are watching/reading.

HD CVO's are already air/oil cooled...they come with an oil cooler, and it is available for those bikes that don't come with it.  The oil cooling might be made more effective with either a larger surface area, or a fan.

Personally, I think HD did a great job in making the radiator on a V-Rod look like part of the bike that was meant to be there.  And the TQ curve could easily be modified in the Revo engine...larger displacement, cams designed more for a touring application, etc.  Having owned an '06 SEVROD, I can honestly say it is a great bike.  It's not for big people though, IMO...at least not in it's current configuration.  The fins on a Vrod's jugs are mostly there for looks.

They could easily hide a radiator between the lowers on the baggers, or at least make it look like it grew there.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2011, 04:29:37 PM »

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2011, 04:53:26 PM »

Anyone try this thing?

http://www.ultracoolfl.com/flh09.php

Interesting...I don't care for the flat black look, but painted gloss black it would look fine.

TTS Mastertune

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2011, 06:26:03 PM »

Interesting...I don't care for the flat black look, but painted gloss black it would look fine.
On your new bike?   Really?   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2011, 06:43:04 PM »

On your new bike?   Really?   spyder

Not no, but hell no...not for me.  ;D I'm just sayin' that I've seen uglier things...like Harley's parade fan... :smilie_daumenneg:

Just stick a radiator (water) in that area and be done with all the problems of heat.

TTS Mastertune

Half_Crazy

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2011, 08:10:26 PM »

Double...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 08:17:31 PM by Half_Crazy »

Half_Crazy

« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2011, 08:16:45 PM »

HD CVO's are already air/oil cooled...they come with an oil cooler, and it is available for those bikes that don't come with it.

There's a difference between adding an oil cooler to an air cooled engine and designing an engine from scratch to be air/oil cooled using an oil radiator and oil jet system.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2011, 08:51:39 PM »

Don't forget, water cooled engines also produce heat.  And when that radiator fan kicks in, it won't be much more comfortable than sitting on top of that air cooled dinosaur.  The improvement isn't necessarily in rider comfort, it is in all the nice things a consistent engine temperature does for mechanical efficiency and longevity. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2011, 09:51:35 PM »

Don't forget, water cooled engines also produce heat.  And when that radiator fan kicks in, it won't be much more comfortable than sitting on top of that air cooled dinosaur.  The improvement isn't necessarily in rider comfort, it is in all the nice things a consistent engine temperature does for mechanical efficiency and longevity. 

Jerry

And it would make stop and go holiday traffic on the interstate less daunting...   :nervous:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Half_Crazy

« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2011, 11:02:57 PM »

And it would make stop and go holiday traffic on the interstate less daunting...   :nervous:

When my buddy's Goldwing is in traffic and the fan's are running you can cook a freakin' hot dog in front of the air outlet... The motor won't melt down, but you might!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 20 queries.