Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Oil Mist/Puking Fix  (Read 8414 times)

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
Oil Mist/Puking Fix
« on: August 02, 2008, 11:41:27 AM »

I made mention of this fix over in the Victory Motorcycles thread that had gotten off topic, but thought that since quite a few folks had a problem with this, and at least one asked for a photo, I would start a new topic here with a few photos.  This little device catches the oil and water mixture from the head breathers and channels it into a little chrome catch can.  I get about 2 to three tablespoons of gray gunk (smelly oil and water mixture) out of it every 1,000 miles or so...gunk that would otherwise be sucked back into the combustion chamber, unless you route it to the ground, which for me was not an acceptable solution.

I chose to use a clear hose so that I can see what is being routed to the can.  It is a very well made little device, comes in chrome or polished, and can be purchased here.  http://www.motorcycles-stuff.com/pages/OilMistColl.shtml They have a lot of other information about them on their website.

I've seen similar devices from Kuryakyn, and I've seem them on Ebay from what looks to be a K & N stamp on them for more money.

The first photo is an overall from 3 to 4 feet away.  A couple of others follow from different angles.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Oil Mist/Puking Fix
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 11:42:22 AM »

From another angle...
   H-D Race Tuner
   RedShift 647 Cams

Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 11:43:01 AM »

Final view...
   H-D Race Tuner
   RedShift 647 Cams

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 11:45:19 AM »

How is extraction of the waste oil from the container done?

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 11:48:08 AM »

There is a large knurled knob with o-ring on the bottom of the container.  I place a small cup, like a lid from a paint aerosol can, underneath it and drain it into it.  Then wipe the bottom with a rag.  Very easy, and very well made little device.
   H-D Race Tuner
   RedShift 647 Cams

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 11:48:41 AM »

Very nice solution. Might even reconsider repiping mine, which now pukes on the ground. Messes up my rear wheel pretty good. Nice install! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 11:49:01 AM »

There is a large knurled knob with o-ring on the bottom of the container...look closely in the photos and you can see it.  I place a small cup, like a lid from a paint aerosol can, underneath it and drain it into it.  Then wipe the bottom with a rag.  Very easy, and very well made little device.
I forgot to add that the knob is on a plug that screws into a threaded hole in the bottom of the can.  Sort of like an oil drain pan plug, but you don't need a tool to loosen and remove it.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 11:51:23 AM by SCRM-R »
   H-D Race Tuner
   RedShift 647 Cams

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 11:51:21 AM »

Very nice solution. Might even reconsider repiping mine, which now pukes on the ground. Messes up my rear wheel pretty good. Nice install! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Cybil must puke more than the red bike.  With it routed down coming roughly even with the front of the swingarm on the left side I never see mess on the wheel or bottom of the bag. 

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 11:52:55 AM »

I knew mine was puking, but didn't know how much.  Now I can monitor it.  It's puking less than I thought it was though, so I guess that's good.
   H-D Race Tuner
   RedShift 647 Cams

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 11:54:52 AM »

Cybil must puke more than the red bike.  With it routed down coming roughly even with the front of the swingarm on the left side I never see mess on the wheel or bottom of the bag. 

Like SCRM-R said, not sure how much. The bag stays clean, but it does spray on the rear wheel some. Not real bad, but any oil sprayed on the chrome wheel picks up the dirt too. It becomes a nice swirly oily mess if ya don't wash your bike very often, like someone that resembles me! ::) ;D

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 11:55:49 AM »

I knew mine was puking, but didn't know how much.  Now I can monitor it.  It's puking less than I thought it was though, so I guess that's good.

In your case the capture seems much more important too.  Mine is routed down and to the rear.   If I do get a little mist on something I can wipe it off; hard bags.  With the bags of yours from Spiderman you really don't want any stray oil blowing back.  Makes perfect sense to go to the extra effort to contain it.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 11:58:49 AM »

Like SCRM-R said, not sure how much. The bag stays clean, but it does spray on the rear wheel some. Not real bad, but any oil sprayed on the chrome wheel picks up the dirt too. It becomes a nice swirly oily mess if ya don't wash your bike very often, like someone that resembles me! ::) ;D

Hoist! 8)

Such a little bit of oil can cover such an area and make so much of a mess too.  You saw the side of the red bike at York before I hung the line on it to go home.  Oil everywhere.  Seeing all the spit-up you'd think it was swalling volume.  But the engine uses a quart at about the 4000 mile mark.  Whoopee.

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 12:00:27 PM »

In your case the capture seems much more important too.  Mine is routed down and to the rear.   If I do get a little mist on something I can wipe it off; hard bags.  With the bags of yours from Spiderman you really don't want any stray oil blowing back.  Makes perfect sense to go to the extra effort to contain it.
You are absolutely right.  And oil is like blood...a little bit looks like a lot...especially if it's yours!
   H-D Race Tuner
   RedShift 647 Cams

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 12:13:59 PM »

And oil is like blood...a little bit looks like a lot...especially if it's yours!

Very important point!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 12:37:37 PM »

I just use the blow-by as an indicator that it is time to clean my filter... the day I spot the drips it I klean the K&N and no more problem for a month or so.

Sometimes I think the filter leaks on purpose so that it can get some extra attention!
 :huepfenlol2:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 21 queries.