Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: When does the blood letting stop?  (Read 4871 times)

CVOhog1

• Junior CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon/Blk Diamond/Burgandy Blaze
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHXSE Candy Cobalt/Indigo ink
When does the blood letting stop?
« on: July 22, 2013, 07:33:58 PM »

I have had my 13 CVO ultra for about a month now. I wish I had done more research on these bikes. This is my third Harley and second CVO so I am not a stranger to the extra cost of owning a HD. Harley definetly has a problem with the engineering of this model. The heat coming from the right side of the engine is unbearable at times. I thought new pipes would remedy the problem so I invested in a set of V&H power dual headers and high out put mufflers which I had planned to do anyhow. The heat issue is not much better, in fact on a 250mile ride this weekend my right leg was on fire. Not a pleasant riding experience. So I take the bike to the dealer for the 1000 mile service and mention the heat issue. I am told that it is a common complaint and when pressing the service manager for a solution he mentions that the the only solution may be a tuner. This particular dealer will not put anykind of tuning device on the bike. I know there are dealers who will perform this service as well as independent tuners. What is the kick in the nuts is that they tell me technically any kind of modification to the ECM could void the factory warranty. So the only solution to a design problem is to do something which may viod the warranty. So after spending $37,000 on the cadillac of Harleys and another grand on pipes. I am still on the hook for a good tuner. Can't wait to see that bill. Wow just bend me over.
V&H Power Dual Header
V&H High Output Slip On Mufflers
PV 2

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
Re: When does the blood letting stop?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 07:50:54 PM »

:-\
You are not bound to return to your (selling) dealer for any further service and/or warranty kinds of work.   Many dealers will as you indicated......install and calibrate different "tuners" to maximize your tune and air/fuel ratio, etc. and still (honor) the warranty too.

Check on Moroneys HD for one and if way north in the state,  maybe a trip to LA Harley in Maine...............both have been known to  be Performance dealers and can deal with your problems. :drink:

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 07:55:53 PM »

If you installed the power duals and new mufflers without a tuning device of any type then surely the bike is running way to lean and therefore way to hot. As you state you're not new to this game and no offence meant but you probably know better than to change mufflers and headpipes without a tuner - the ECM can only make adjustments for minor changes (like maybe different slip-on mufflers) and changing the headpipe and removing the cat is not within the realm of minor changes.
 Also just by changing the head pipe and removing the cat you have potentially jeopardized the factory warranty -- depending on the dealers' relationship with you.

But as to them not wanting to install a tuner is IMHO total BS on their part - did that statement from them also include HD creamin' Eagle tuning devices? I think a visit to one of those other dealers that will install the tuning device of your choice is advisable at this point. I would personally stay away from any "piggyback" type units , and my personal choice was the TTS (I also went with the Fullsac stage 1 treatment on my '11 CUSE6).

As to cost, well the cost of the bike was just the cost of admission to the HD fun park.

Sorry couldn't resist that last line ;)
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 08:04:51 PM »

If you installed the power duals and new mufflers without a tuning device of any type then surely the bike is running way to lean and therefore way to hot. As you state you're not new to this game and no offence meant but you probably know better than to change mufflers and headpipes without a tuner - the ECM can only make adjustments for minor changes (like maybe different slip-on mufflers) and changing the headpipe and removing the cat is not within the realm of minor changes.
 Also just by changing the head pipe and removing the cat you have potentially jeopardized the factory warranty -- depending on the dealers' relationship with you.

But as to them not wanting to install a tuner is IMHO total BS on their part - did that statement from them also include HD creamin' Eagle tuning devices? I think a visit to one of those other dealers that will install the tuning device of your choice is advisable at this point. I would personally stay away from any "piggyback" type units , and my personal choice was the TTS (I also went with the Fullsac stage 1 treatment on my '11 CUSE6).

As to cost, well the cost of the bike was just the cost of admission to the HD fun park.

Sorry couldn't resist that last line ;)
X2  :2vrolijk_21:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

CVOhog1

• Junior CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon/Blk Diamond/Burgandy Blaze
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHXSE Candy Cobalt/Indigo ink
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 08:16:30 PM »

I just want the bike to run happy? What gets me is that the Bike has run hot from the get go bone stock and the only way to fix it is with modifications. My 2007 Dyna CVO had V&H big radius pipes and just a stage 1 download, never had this kind of heat issue and ran great.  Ironically I spoke to Moroney's today about this. They are about 90 miles south.  Probably will go with them and a TTS tuner. Just venting here. You are right it's a great ride at the HD fun park.
V&H Power Dual Header
V&H High Output Slip On Mufflers
PV 2

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 08:23:49 PM »

You can thank EPA!  ;)
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 08:28:34 PM »

You can thank EPA!  ;)

Not entirely.  Other major automotive and motorcycle manufacturers can produce product within EPA guidelines that don't genade so often nor fry their riders.

07CVO.RK

• Junior CVO Member
    • AB

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: 10 FLSTSE
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 08:37:49 PM »

Not entirely.  Other major automotive and motorcycle manufacturers can produce product within EPA guidelines that don't genade so often nor fry their riders.

Ya but they don't get invited to the HD fun park.
120R, 10.8:1 compression, T-man 660SM cams, 58 mm HPI TB, HPI V2 intake, D&D Boarzilla with ghost pipe, Barnett Scorpion clutch, Wild One 502 Apes. Road King converted to Road Glide

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 09:45:19 PM »

I've heard good things about Moroney's. I'm sure after a tune you and the bike will be happier.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 09:58:13 PM »

actually as far as maint is concerned - bmw bikes are the most troublesome - honda the least - per CU

to

NETacoma03Fatboy

• Full CVO Member

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 11:15:43 PM »

Which Harleys have you had? You're now sitting on an air "cooled," 110 cubic inch motor with a catalytic converter and an EPA requiring it to run as lean and hot as possible.   You made it run hotter and leaner with a less restrictive exhaust!  

The good news is that with a good tuner and tune, you should be good to go.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 08:55:05 AM »

When does the blood letting stop?

It stops when people become smart enough to stop buying the product.  Harley has been doing this to it's customers for a very long time, and customers have been paying the "Harley Tax" to make the bikes run nearly as well as the competition does right off the showroom floor.  They also pay an extra $2k in most cases to "insure" that overpriced ride from mechanical failure, rather than buy a product with superior quality and a longer factory warranty.

The official drink in Milwaukee used to be beer, but these days I believe it's Kool-Aid. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 09:48:50 AM »

You might check out  -  http://www.nightrider.com/parts/:
also search this forum for "xied", there are many posts/comments regarding these products.  Personally, I installed the O2 sensors on my 2011 SESG with V&H hi output slip ons and noticed significantly reduced heat.  The tech guys on this forum are very good and their advice is valuable.  But read nightrider's article on "closed loop/open loop" systems.  The Xied cables help, but I also believe you can improve things with a tuner, but that involves more "bleeding", so as the budget allows, open a vein.

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.