Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: What's your compensator history?  (Read 10503 times)

Hog95023

• Full CVO Member
Re: What's your compensator history?
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2014, 11:32:04 AM »

Without the GMR oiler tray, atf will destroy the spokes on the SE comps in short order.
Ron
thanks, guess I better order one soon.

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2014, 01:22:13 PM »

Without the GMR oiler tray, atf will destroy the spokes on the SE comps in short order.
Ron

you are advocating for the GMR oiler tray but is atf any worse than other primary lubricants on the SE comps? A BDL technician recently told me he recommends atf in the primary for their HD aftermarket wet clutches.

rbabos

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2014, 01:58:15 PM »

you are advocating for the GMR oiler tray but is atf any worse than other primary lubricants on the SE comps? A BDL technician recently told me he recommends atf in the primary for their HD aftermarket wet clutches.
ATF is the worst of all lubes when it comes to the compensator due to light viscosity and low film strength, which is why clutches like it.  If ATF is used a generous amount of fluid needs to be fed into the spoke area to keep the comp from chewing itself up. Having just a trace amount of lube while running as with no oiler , the random oil it might see gets burnt off and it runs metal to metal really quickly. Fluids like Formula+ are thicker gear oils and the film that gets deposited during trickle down, say on a shutdown hang around longer for lube but this dries up in short order too. With ATF, what film there is, POOF, gone almost instantly from the high pressures of cam ramping in the comp, so a constant supply is needed to recoat the surfaces. This applies to SE comps. Pre 07 comps faired better with low lubing.
Ron

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2014, 10:01:21 PM »

I've been trying to order a 2014 compensator for a friends bike for about a month now. 

First they were on backorder until April 11.  Today I received an email notification that they are now on backorder until April 20.  Makes me nervous there is either a deficiency in the current design and another design change is underway, or there is a manufacturing problem. 

Of course, it could just be the MOCO's inability to schedule  -  and maintain a schedule.   :nixweiss:  Either way, I suspect they have many customers left hanging just as riding season is upon (many of) us...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 10:02:53 PM by sadunbar »
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

mcdonaldroadcapt

• CVO Third Time around
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2006 flhtcuse 1
    • CVO2: 2007 flhtcuse 2
    • CVO3: 2008 flhtcuse 3
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2014, 07:59:23 AM »

Try Surdyke.com  They usually have stock.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2014, 08:19:14 AM »

Try Surdyke.com  They usually have stock.

Nope...  Tried all the 20% off dealers.  All state compensators are backordered...   :nixweiss:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

mcdonaldroadcapt

• CVO Third Time around
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2006 flhtcuse 1
    • CVO2: 2007 flhtcuse 2
    • CVO3: 2008 flhtcuse 3
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2014, 08:36:13 AM »

Sorry about that. I am sure so many riders have comp problems that they got behind on production. My new one has about 7,000 miles on it and I am very pleased with the lack of noise compared to my other two clunker/rattlers.

rbabos

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2014, 11:08:59 AM »

Local Ontario dealer has 2 in stock.
Ron

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2014, 11:49:26 AM »

Since we have some real knowledgeable folks that know the weakness on the old & new compensator's I'm wondering if a motor manufacturer up my way was yanking my chain on their method of modifying compensators.  Since they make some rather large motors I asked them what they do to avoid failures on the compensators.  I was told that they put a bend in the disk and do one other modification that he wouldn't tell me, but he did insist that they have never experienced a failure with their modifications.  I suspect that they go down the road and get a HD compensator but I really don't know for sure.  Don't shoot the messenger! 

I currently use the B&M trick shift because that what the clutch likes.  I do drain it often and have it go through some layers of cheese cloth to check for metal particles.  I have only gone about 8,000 miles on the new set up and have drained her twice and so far and have not found any metal.  I may get one of those Dimple super magnet that may help if something goes.  I do realize that once I start to see metal on the magnet it will be time to check it for wear and chances are it will be to late.  Quite a few years ago I posted a photo with the magnet loaded with metal.  I have since learned how to handle most anything in the primary since I have had to go in there so often.  If I hear it bang once it's coming apart. 

Is there a recommended primary fluid that works best for the compensators?  I thought that the ATF would be thin enough to get into the tight spots, I tried the HD Plus Primary fluid and the clutch did not like it one bit.  From what I'm reading we may have to get a clutch assembly that will hold with the fluid that works best for the compensator.  Either way it seems it has hit  some of us pretty hard in the pocket book.   

Hog95023

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2014, 12:12:46 PM »

RayG what clutch are you using? I always have metal fuzz on my primary magnet since new. I just figured it was normal

rbabos

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2014, 01:33:56 PM »

Since we have some real knowledgeable folks that know the weakness on the old & new compensator's I'm wondering if a motor manufacturer up my way was yanking my chain on their method of modifying compensators.  Since they make some rather large motors I asked them what they do to avoid failures on the compensators.  I was told that they put a bend in the disk and do one other modification that he wouldn't tell me, but he did insist that they have never experienced a failure with their modifications.  I suspect that they go down the road and get a HD compensator but I really don't know for sure.  Don't shoot the messenger! 

I currently use the B&M trick shift because that what the clutch likes.  I do drain it often and have it go through some layers of cheese cloth to check for metal particles.  I have only gone about 8,000 miles on the new set up and have drained her twice and so far and have not found any metal.  I may get one of those Dimple super magnet that may help if something goes.  I do realize that once I start to see metal on the magnet it will be time to check it for wear and chances are it will be to late.  Quite a few years ago I posted a photo with the magnet loaded with metal.  I have since learned how to handle most anything in the primary since I have had to go in there so often.  If I hear it bang once it's coming apart. 

Is there a recommended primary fluid that works best for the compensators?  I thought that the ATF would be thin enough to get into the tight spots, I tried the HD Plus Primary fluid and the clutch did not like it one bit.  From what I'm reading we may have to get a clutch assembly that will hold with the fluid that works best for the compensator.  Either way it seems it has hit  some of us pretty hard in the pocket book.
Only two ways to make the compensator live. Reduce it's range of motion ,which defeats the purpose of protecting the crank but less motion means less overall wear. Second is to add oil to the comp, (more then what the 2014 version claims to give) to retain it's function and have a long life. That's where the Compensaver from GMR comes into play.
Ron

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2014, 03:08:49 PM »

Local Ontario dealer has 2 in stock.
Ron

Not wanting to pay full retail, I contacted my local dealers where I can get a discount, and contacted all the 20% off dealers I'm aware of....  None had compensators in stock - and the compensators they have on order are delayed again, now on backorder until April 20th.
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2014, 04:08:39 PM »

Hog,

I'm using the Energy One Plus One clutch kit (BDL) with the VP92.  I occasionally have small amounts of fuzz on the magnet but when you start to see small & medium sized chunks it's time to take a look.  Most of the metal on my nastiest looking magnet was the stripped splines from the clutch hub (I think).  That metal is hard and I'm sure it didn't help the compensator either.  You can't have proper lubrication if you have metal chunks floating around.  I have replaced a few clutch hubs due to the stripped splines.  Because the whole set up cost so much I'm going to drain the fluid through the cheese cloth or a small disposable filter kit I'm making and put it back in if it is acceptable and change it every 3 to 4,000 miles.  I have been using 6 extra ounces of primary fluid since I read about it from another forum.

Ron how much extra fluid would you recommend?  I believe most people that are on most Harley Forums easily find ways to spend their money.  It's when you have to keep replacing the same chit with a supposed new & improved piece of chit.  When you pay for 3,4 & 5 compensators I know I could have spent it more wisely.   If I didn't drain my funds from replacing the 110 with a S&S 124" in the spring of 2013 I would have replaced the entire clutch set up.  I doubt there will be a next time but if there is I will make sure I do everything with the best parts available.  It doesn't pay to have to do things numerous times.   It does seem strange that compensators are back ordered, maybe another modification coming down the parts catalog. 

rbabos

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2014, 07:31:46 PM »

Hog,

I'm using the Energy One Plus One clutch kit (BDL) with the VP92.  I occasionally have small amounts of fuzz on the magnet but when you start to see small & medium sized chunks it's time to take a look.  Most of the metal on my nastiest looking magnet was the stripped splines from the clutch hub (I think).  That metal is hard and I'm sure it didn't help the compensator either.  You can't have proper lubrication if you have metal chunks floating around.  I have replaced a few clutch hubs due to the stripped splines.  Because the whole set up cost so much I'm going to drain the fluid through the cheese cloth or a small disposable filter kit I'm making and put it back in if it is acceptable and change it every 3 to 4,000 miles.  I have been using 6 extra ounces of primary fluid since I read about it from another forum.

Ron how much extra fluid would you recommend?  I believe most people that are on most Harley Forums easily find ways to spend their money.  It's when you have to keep replacing the same chit with a supposed new & improved piece of chit.  When you pay for 3,4 & 5 compensators I know I could have spent it more wisely.   If I didn't drain my funds from replacing the 110 with a S&S 124" in the spring of 2013 I would have replaced the entire clutch set up.  I doubt there will be a next time but if there is I will make sure I do everything with the best parts available.  It doesn't pay to have to do things numerous times.   It does seem strange that compensators are back ordered, maybe another modification coming down the parts catalog.
Since my dealer has 2 in stock, I think it's more they can't keep up with the demand on retrofits and production quantities. Ontario season just beginning here so no real action comp wise for destruction or retrofits.  They would really look like tards if there's another change in such a short period of time.
As for adding a bit extra fluid, not going to help and the brand of lube only slight benefit. The comp would need to be partially submerged to have any effect and clutch would not be worth a damn to live with with all the drag. Main thing is to get the oil into the area of the comp where it needs it most. That's the cam and spokes. Latest comp version seems to deliver just enough to pacify the bore but no extra to make it to the spokes to do any good. That compensaver tray takes over where they left off,  to finish the job of oiling.
Ron

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2014, 10:26:35 AM »

Thanks Ron
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 21 queries.