Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 8766 times)

kazumdgc

• Senior CVO Member
  • Only Way to GO!
Re: Insurance
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2007, 03:42:38 PM »

It amazes me how one company can be profitable in one county of a state and another not be and thus reflects it in their rates. One of the agents told me they go off the number of insured in an area and number of claims. If lots of drivers and little claims.... low rates. If it goes the other way high rates. I guess in PA and in my county  Progressive and Formost has lots riders and lots of losses because they were twice has high as anybody.

What a racket! :coolblue:

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2007, 04:43:38 PM »

It amazes me how one company can be profitable in one county of a state and another not be and thus reflects it in their rates. One of the agents told me they go off the number of insured in an area and number of claims. If lots of drivers and little claims.... low rates. If it goes the other way high rates. I guess in PA and in my county  Progressive and Formost has lots riders and lots of losses because they were twice has high as anybody.

What a racket! :coolblue:
Yep, that's how they do it.  They have a "formula" which bases the population of the area, the amount of accidents averaged over the past so many years, and the size of the claims.  My area is higher than most parts of Virginia because we have a major interstate run right by where I live, and their's lots of accidents there, because of the high commuter traffic to/from DC.  It's a racket, but what you going to do?  You can't afford not to have it. :nixweiss:  And in Virginia, if you don't have insurance, you have to pay $400 uninsured motorist fee every year or you can't renew your car tags.  And that doesn't cover you, that goes into a pool to pay for the other person's damages if you're found at fault in an accident. 
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2007, 08:42:31 PM »

Hub

I have coverage on the Frontier based on my receipts not based on book value.

I'm betting your agent had to use the "Fast Forward" feature on his video camera to capture Maude!

:coolblue:

Actually, I was required to produce a Notarized Appraisal from my Dealer, plus all the invoices to support the appraisal.  Initially, I had the Ol' Girl insured for 50K, but opted to reduce the coverage to 40K, as I haven't added to her list of Mods since '05.  The book value is not conducive to my coverage, as it is based solely on the Notarized Document.  It was just something I threw out there to make me feel good about how friggin' smart I am.  And, speakin' of smarta$$es, the video wasn't of me ridin'.  It was of Ol' Maudie, restin' in the Driveway of the House I pay for, that I don't live in.  Is that cleared up for you now, smarta$$?  :huepfenlol2: Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Bagger

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2007, 09:05:53 PM »

I have GEICO on all of my vehicles and have been with them for 27 years.  I get a 25% discount for being an MSF Instructor (10% if you've taken the course), I get a 10% discount every year I renew, safe driver discount, another discount for being military(retired), and a discount for multi-vehicles.  I get full-value replacement and $250 deductible with $300K/$300K coverage.  GEICO has been great to deal with and they've treated me great.  I guess that's why I've been with them so long.  Another benefit I get now that I've been with them, I'm guaranteed renewal, regardless of what happens now. they will never drop me. All this for around $700/year and this is for Northern VA, which is higher than when I lived in the Tidewater (Norfolk) area.

Cheers  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif],
Charlie

Charlie,  I also insure through GEICO.  Started in 2003 after USAA decided they didn't want to insure my Tennesse home since it was no longer our primary residence.  So I drop them after over 20 years, went with Farm Bureau for the houses and GEICO for cages and scooter.  10% discount for MSF ERC, retired military, multivehicle, full value replacement $500 deductible and 150K/300K.  $303 per year.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2007, 09:33:48 PM »

Charlie,  I also insure through GEICO.  Started in 2003 after USAA decided they didn't want to insure my Tennesse home since it was no longer our primary residence.  So I drop them after over 20 years, went with Farm Bureau for the houses and GEICO for cages and scooter.  10% discount for MSF ERC, retired military, multivehicle, full value replacement $500 deductible and 150K/300K.  $303 per year.
Bagger,
That's a great rate.  :) One big thing I like about GEICO is I've never gotten any crap or run around from them when I've needed them.  When I've had some accidents even when I wasn't at fault, I let them fight the battle for me and they've been great, and got things taken care of....I've been really happy with them.
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

Bagger

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2007, 10:11:55 PM »

Bagger,
That's a great rate.  :) One big thing I like about GEICO is I've never gotten any crap or run around from them when I've needed them.  When I've had some accidents even when I wasn't at fault, I let them fight the battle for me and they've been great, and got things taken care of....I've been really happy with them.
Red

Yep.  I think so.  I'm wondering what is going to happen once I start adding things and telling them about it.  I told them about everything I did to the 02 Ultra, and my premium was a constant $250 per year.  I think one of the reasons my premium is what it is, is because I've always lived in a rural environment.  From reading here, it seems most folks with high premiums live in developed areas.  I've had one ticket in the past three years..........got busted for doing 54 in a 45 on a military installation.  I didn't see a premium change..........and I'm not about to question either.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2007, 10:39:07 PM »

Yep.  I think so.  I'm wondering what is going to happen once I start adding things and telling them about it.  I told them about everything I did to the 02 Ultra, and my premium was a constant $250 per year.  I think one of the reasons my premium is what it is, is because I've always lived in a rural environment.  From reading here, it seems most folks with high premiums live in developed areas.  I've had one ticket in the past three years..........got busted for doing 54 in a 45 on a military installation.  I didn't see a premium change..........and I'm not about to question either.
When I insured the SEUC, I insured for the over 3k worth of accessories that I added prior to delivery.  I didn't raise my premium but about $20 or $30, I think.  There was a big increase in premium from when I was down in Norfolk, VA and moved up to Fredericksburg, which is considered Northern Virginia.  Both are heavily populated areas, but the traffic is heavier up here due to all the commuters going into DC, so accidents are higher.  That sucked, but what can you do?
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

Bagger

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2007, 11:11:09 PM »

When I insured the SEUC, I insured for the over 3k worth of accessories that I added prior to delivery.  I didn't raise my premium but about $20 or $30, I think.  There was a big increase in premium from when I was down in Norfolk, VA and moved up to Fredericksburg, which is considered Northern Virginia.  Both are heavily populated areas, but the traffic is heavier up here due to all the commuters going into DC, so accidents are higher.  That sucked, but what can you do?
Red

I don't suppose there is much one can do except move back to the Hampton Roads area.  I love that area.  Spent quite a bit of time at Ft. Eustis over the years.  We do some prototyping there.  Next time I have to go there for a week, I'm riding instead of flying.  There is a great place off J Clyde Morris in Newport News called Hoss's Deli "Bikes Out Back," but that is beyond the scope of this thread.  Anyway, there is alot to be said for living in the sticks.  Hopefully i can maintain these premiums.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2007, 06:27:13 AM »

I don't suppose there is much one can do except move back to the Hampton Roads area.  I love that area.  Spent quite a bit of time at Ft. Eustis over the years.  We do some prototyping there.  Next time I have to go there for a week, I'm riding instead of flying.  There is a great place off J Clyde Morris in Newport News called Hoss's Deli "Bikes Out Back," but that is beyond the scope of this thread.  Anyway, there is alot to be said for living in the sticks.  Hopefully i can maintain these premiums.
I really liked the Tidewater area.  I was stationed down there from 85 to 96 and lived in Chesapeake all but 2 years of that time.  The people down there are fantastic and there is some really good places to ride.  I can't complain about Fredericksburg though, other than everything's a little more expensive because of being close to DC, but the city is a great little city and the area is ripe in history and places to ride, plus we're a lot closer to the mountains, which the wife and I love to ride in.  Although we don't get there as much as we should or want to.  I make a lot more working up in DC, but then again with the higher costs, I guess it equals out, doesn't it.  But, right now, it has to do. 
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2007, 07:29:11 PM »

Actually, I was required to produce a Notarized Appraisal from my Dealer, plus all the invoices to support the appraisal.  Initially, I had the Ol' Girl insured for 50K, but opted to reduce the coverage to 40K, as I haven't added to her list of Mods since '05.  The book value is not conducive to my coverage, as it is based solely on the Notarized Document.  It was just something I threw out there to make me feel good about how friggin' smart I am.  And, speakin' of smarta$$es, the video wasn't of me ridin'.  It was of Ol' Maudie, restin' in the Driveway of the House I pay for, that I don't live in.  Is that cleared up for you now, smarta$$?  :huepfenlol2: Later--HUBBARD

I had a "Stated Value " policy on a 1968 Camaro with an appraised value at the time 1985) of $25K.  Interesting enough,
The policy stated the insurance company would pay the lesser of the three:
Cost to repair
Cost to Replace
Stated Value.

Be careful and read the fine print.

In Mass., the rates are set by the state, the only thing that matters is your driving record and zip code.  Very few discounts are offered except for multi car (motorcycles don't count), MSF course, etc.
Basically hosed.  Changing the deductible is usually a no brainer.  I saved 350 by changing from 500 to 1000 deductible.

Any day on the bike is a good day.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2007, 09:12:47 PM »

I had a "Stated Value " policy on a 1968 Camaro with an appraised value at the time 1985) of $25K.  Interesting enough,
The policy stated the insurance company would pay the lesser of the three:
Cost to repair
Cost to Replace
Stated Value.

Be careful and read the fine print.

In Mass., the rates are set by the state, the only thing that matters is your driving record and zip code.  Very few discounts are offered except for multi car (motorcycles don't count), MSF course, etc.
Basically hosed.  Changing the deductible is usually a no brainer.  I saved 350 by changing from 500 to 1000 deductible.

I have that amount of deductible, and remember a conversation about replacement value and stated value.  That conversation ended in stated value would prevail, as it would be highly unlikely a replica would exist.  You've managed to get my curiosity pumped, while my Policy is in the Lock-Box.  Guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow for the verdict.  Good information.  Thanks for addressing it.  Later--HUBBARD   
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

kazumdgc

• Senior CVO Member
  • Only Way to GO!
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2007, 07:01:30 AM »

It's one of those things we think about if we are luck once a year. If no change and you are happy you re-new and don't give it much thought. I would say we should be looking at it at least at re-new time and discuss it here so we all get the best ideas, and coverage we can get bsed on our needs.
Thanks for all the great thoughts and ideas. My coverage is due to re-new next month.
Dave :2vrolijk_21:

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2007, 09:21:23 AM »

On the positive side:  My friends have an autobody shop and paint a lot of bikes.  They are part of my riding group.
Anyway, our experiences with the insurance companies is that it is best to bring the bike to the HD dealer when in an accident.  The insurance company will replace any scratched piece including the frame because they don't know anything about bikes and they don't want to be responsible if they don't think that a part is damaged and have you get killed later.  They just pay to replace everything and cover every part you added if you have pictures and slips.  Remember that thos painted parts from MOCO are very expensive.  :soapbox:

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2007, 07:31:14 PM »

You know I have been a big proponent of State Farm on this site and the reason for that is the way my agent has always treated me since moving here 9 years ago. BUT, I find what State Farm is doing in Mississippi very disturbing. IMHO if they will not underwrite homeowners policies, they should not be allowed to underwrite any other type of insurance. This whole Katrina business is disgusting. People; - - - -you,me, our friends and family buy insurance in case of unexpected loss. Well a freakin Force 5 Hurricane is about as big an unexpected loss as anyone could possibly experience in their lifetime. And now these bastards want out because they're being expected to make good on their promises ? This whole thing has me thinking about changing insurance comanies. I have insurance on 6 vehicles, my house, life you name it. All with State Farm. Can anyone recommend a company that did pay up in the Gulf Coast that offers personal service and replacement value payouts for loss ?

Thanks
          B B

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2007, 07:44:20 PM »

Spiderman,
After one of the previous hurricanes in Florida, State Farm altered the Salvage titles of thousands of cars that they had to cover for the flood damage.  They were convicted and had to pay 300 million in fines.  They had sent the cars all over the US and wholesaled to the the unsuspecting dealers and eventually customers.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 21 queries.