Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Christmas Lights  (Read 6822 times)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Christmas Lights
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 08:24:35 AM »

:D :D :D :D  That's what my wife says about me because I refuse to put up Christmas lights.

My roof is a 12/12 pitch.... it's steep and a long way up there.  If I fall off the roof I might not be able to pay for the house  :'(  And we live in the country - 400 ft back off the road... it's not like we have a lot of neighbors to impress.

Christmas lights are cool... I just don't want to spend a whole weekend and $$$ to put them up just to have to take them back down in three weeks.

And the whole Christmas Tree deal... my wife spent $$$$ to have a 10ft tall "nice tree".  I have actually re-named our formal living room the "Christmas Tree" room... we loose the use of whole room at Christmas time.  The tree goes up - takes the wife a full day to decorate... and then it comes back down in three weeks and I have to put all the boxes back up in the attic :( 
I'm thinking that maybe we should just leave the tree up all year round.  We could take the Christmas decoration off after Christmas -- then put little red hearts on it for Valentine's Day -- Then green shamrocks on it for St. Patricks Day -- Hang Easter Eggs on it for Easter -- And maybe fireworks on it for Independence Day -- and... well you get the idea.  Why spend all that $$$$ and all the work for a short three week period :D :D

Yours Truly,
Ebenezer Scrooge :D

Makes sense to me.  Not sure I want to look at a tree in the dining room all year long though.  The wife does the tree decorating - I get the tree out of the attic with all the decorations. 

I quit putting lights on outside of the house a few years ago.  Mostly due to laziness, but I did fall off the roof once - leaning over to attach lights & took a header.  Did a perfect flip - landed on my feet by some fluke of luck.  No injuries but after that I used the ladder more.  Then I just quit putting them up. 

When the kids were little we would get a live tree or 2.  Always more fun for me - after Christmas. Some of them went to the lake for crappie habitat.  Some of them went to the burn pile for a few months.  Amazing how fast they go up in flames when they dry out. 

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 08:30:12 AM »

This year just the leg lamp in the front window...I did not put it up last year and the "hood" protested, so to appease the masses and get free holiday beverages I will put it up.

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 08:38:23 AM »

Those little trigger like repair devices really do help to find where the problem is and fix it.  I was extremely sceptical until I tried it and they worth they're weight in gold.

As to the L.E.D.s, I'm in the process of switching my house over.  We've replaced all the tree lights, and the C9 bulbs outside.  Next year the Garland light will go and the year after that icicle lights.  The L.E.D.s will pay for themselves in a few years since my wife likes the house lit up enough that Tim the Toolman Taylor would go... Ar Ar Ar at it!

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 09:24:39 AM »

Great Thread!

daughter asked me on the way home yesterday (this is the girl you can't get to spend 15 min or longer on anything but watching TV). 

"So, when are going to start decorating for Christmas?"  A real hand on the hips attitude. 

THAT makes me want to slide off my icy roof while messing with strands so stiff from the cold that won't bend and doing it with fingers I can no longer feel anything with!

I told her I already did.  I put the bare tree up on Sunday.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Bojiboy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire and Stardust Silver
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 09:38:28 AM »

Takes me 45 min. just to carry all the crap up from the basement. Wifey spends a couple days setting it all out and two more to take it all down. 45 mins again to carry it all down. Don't get it.   :nixweiss: :nixweiss:
2012 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire and Stardust Silver
2006 FLHTCUSE (traded in)
2005 FLHRCI (sold)
Single enclosed trailer

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2008, 10:44:20 AM »

ok fess up which one of you guys went OCD on your lights

:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Mrs Rooster

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rooster May Crow But The Hen Delivers The Goods!!
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2008, 11:00:31 AM »

ok fess up which one of you guys went OCD on your lights

I heard it was Freds Mom.
We are never lost sometimes it just takes longer to get there.

Mrs Rooster

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rooster May Crow But The Hen Delivers The Goods!!
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2008, 11:09:21 AM »

Went to PIR (race track) in Portland last night to look at lights. Got there right when they opened, was the only car on the track. Terry was driving me and a girlfriend around so we could ewww and awww at all the lights. Had all the windows down and the sunroof open. Dec 2 and 58 degrees at 5pm  :nixweiss: no complaining here.
We are never lost sometimes it just takes longer to get there.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2008, 11:11:42 AM »

I heard it was Freds Mom.

Well they both enjoy the Trans-Siberian Orchestra so you might be on to something. :evilgrin:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2008, 11:14:10 AM »

i'd settle for a charlie brown x-mas tree
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2008, 11:18:29 AM »

This guys lives close by to me and it is really quite amazing and for a good cause...

http://jackselectric.com/Christmas%20Lights/christmas_lights.htm

MontyB

• Amazing! You can actually SEE the laws of physics breaking!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Twilight
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2008, 07:08:23 PM »

So I just put up the Christmas lights and my wife ain't talking to me. I don't know why.
"Good news, Marge!  I've learned how to walk naked on stilts!"
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2008, 08:22:50 PM »

So I just put up the Christmas lights and my wife ain't talking to me. I don't know why.

Great idea Monty, maybe she'll say we can do without lights this year...............Um, but she may have something else you can do without as well now that I think about it. :-\

BT

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2008, 11:49:55 PM »

So the wife gets a screamin deal on a commercial tree last year when Macy's is taking down the display trees.  I won't bore you with the details but a $1300 dollar tree ends up being $30.00 (lights half work).

So the last week she took all the old lights off (no easy chore) all were wire tied to the branches.

She hired a gal to come in and wrap it in new lights we got at COSTCO, GE 300 lights commercial grade at $20.00 a box.  She got 1200 lights and it did about half of a ten foot tree so back to COSTCO the next day and the tree now has 2250 lights on it and it cost $200.00 for the gal and $160.00 for the lights.

I hope it isn't a redo next year, that is one damned expensive $30.00 tree.

:worthless:
West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (05)  Cripple Creek, CO (06) Nelson, BC (07) Sedona, AR (08) Hood River, OR (09) Pala, CA (10) Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Spokane, WA (12) Santa Fe, NM (13) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray, CO (15) Fortuna, CA (16) Victoria BC (23)

MITM
Eureka Springs (17)

BT

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2008, 11:57:13 PM »

Lighted truck parade here in Victoria ........ http://www.ieoa.ca/

and a famous Victoria garden ...... http://www.butchartgardens.com/planning-your-visit/the-5-seasons/christmas.html
West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (05)  Cripple Creek, CO (06) Nelson, BC (07) Sedona, AR (08) Hood River, OR (09) Pala, CA (10) Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Spokane, WA (12) Santa Fe, NM (13) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray, CO (15) Fortuna, CA (16) Victoria BC (23)

MITM
Eureka Springs (17)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.