Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: GPX file is a GPX file....I thought  (Read 10479 times)

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
Re: GPX file is a GPX file....I thought
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2017, 09:31:17 AM »

Hmm, tried it, but did not import route I created in Google Maps, just gave me point A to Point B, not the route I adjusted in Google.

I know I am splitting hairs here between Tyre and Google maps, but the one noce feature over creating the rout in Maps, when you drag the route to change it, it highlights the entire new route so you can see it before you drop the new waypoint in. On Tyre, there is no moving of the route line when you adjust, it just places the new waypoint where you put it and then shows the new route line after you have dropped the new waypoint.

It's a nuance that I haven't felt was bothersome.  Your other established WP's will keep your route from doing strange things behind your back.  I seem to remember that I zoom well in to relocate a portion of a route by creating a new WP.  If it wants to suggest a different road than what I had in mind, a few more WP's will fix that.  More is better, anyway.
Heck, I was comparing Tyre (myroute-app) to the HD Ride Planner, and that was like going from a dirt bike to my bike on the interstate, so to speak, so some of those quirks are just not noticeable to me any more. 
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

Glenncarp

« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2017, 09:31:33 AM »

I have owned several Garmin's and not noticed this discrepancy in them.  This BB is my first, yet I have not seen the WP issue in it...yet.   I am using myroute-app now and it seems to hit the WP's on the map as they were placed and as it should.  I have gone thru many WP's so I won't say it wasn't possible that it didn't misrepresent where a WP was, but to date, I have not noticed this.
I will keep making complex routes to travel by locally using myroute-app.  As I do things that seem to work and/or enhance the reliability of a route, I'll post that.  I will also post the weird things and things that don't work.
The weather's shaping up.  Won't be long and spring will be here.  Heck, I may even get to ride today.

Harry,
What are the major differences between Tyre and Myroute App? I like the stand alone Tyre app, not necessarily opening up a web page, I know, I am strange, just wondering what the differences are.

Thanks

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2017, 09:41:07 AM »

Harry,
What are the major differences between Tyre and Myroute App? I like the stand alone Tyre app, not necessarily opening up a web page, I know, I am strange, just wondering what the differences are.

Thanks

Glenn,
I think Tyre was the "previous version" and that Myroute-app is the current one. 
If I guess correctly, you are using this app:  http://www.tyretotravel.com/  but then this link also offers the download for Myroute-app.  It's confusing to me, as when I went to download Tyre, I got Myroute-app.
That's a long way of saying I don't  know what the differences are.  From my limited research, MRA is the product of Tyre having been used for years by thousands of guys.  They took all the ideas, comments, and pros and cons, and worked them into the next gen software that they called MRA.  I could be wrong, but I think that's what happened.  Maybe RoadTrip will chime in on this one.
If you asked me now which one I would want to download, I'd choose MRA based on that info.
Harry
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

Glenncarp

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2017, 09:51:25 AM »

Glenn,
I think Tyre was the "previous version" and that Myroute-app is the current one. 
If I guess correctly, you are using this app:  http://www.tyretotravel.com/  but then this link also offers the download for Myroute-app.  It's confusing to me, as when I went to download Tyre, I got Myroute-app.
That's a long way of saying I don't  know what the differences are.  From my limited research, MRA is the product of Tyre having been used for years by thousands of guys.  They took all the ideas, comments, and pros and cons, and worked them into the next gen software that they called MRA.  I could be wrong, but I think that's what happened.  Maybe RoadTrip will chime in on this one.
If you asked me now which one I would want to download, I'd choose MRA based on that info.

Ok, looks like I previously downloaded Tryre from the link you sent. As you said, strange that app is Tyre, but web page is Myroute-app.

Thanks!

WTF Chuck

• IBA 74296
  • 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO3: 2022 Screamin Eagle Road Glide Limited
    • Muck Cross Weather
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2017, 11:02:04 AM »

Tyre is a full program that you download and install on your machine I have been using it for a couple years. Myroute app is an on line App. Both are current and updated very often. I just received an email today about a complete rewrite and up date for the Myroute APP.

Fullsac DX Pipe  2" cores and screens
Dynojet  Power  Vision  Tuner
KST's
HARLEY 28 SPOKE CHROME WHEELS
Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz Magic Strobe-LTP
WHAT' S Next
Darkside
Ecsta PA31
195/60/16

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2017, 11:19:19 AM »

Tyre is a full program that you download and install on your machine I have been using it for a couple years. Myroute app is an on line App. Both are current and updated very often. I just received an email today about a complete rewrite and up date for the Myroute APP.

So now we know.  Thanks, Chuck.  I just got an update on MRA that says street view is now available with them, which is a handy feature.  I've been keeping Google Maps open in a separate tab so I can go back and forth between it and the app to view the streets, but now I won't have to it seems.  Still haven't tried it out yet.
What you said about Tyre makes me wonder if it's better in some way than MRA.  Where do the maps come from?  Do you still need to be on the Internet and have Google Maps pulled up or does Tyre do that automatically for you?
Harry

WTF Chuck

• IBA 74296
  • 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• Muck Cross Weather
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2017, 11:45:08 AM »

Tyre does use Google maps and brings up the map when you open it you do need to be online. It also has many more options and there is a free version.

KST's
WHAT' S Next
Darkside
Ecsta PA31
195/60/16

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2017, 10:13:21 PM »

Tyre does use Google maps and brings up the map when you open it you do need to be online. It also has many more options and there is a free version.

It sounds very similar to myroute-app.  It also uses Google maps and has street view, and I've noticed that navigating on google maps while within the app is almost always quicker than moving the regular Google maps view around in its own tab.
When you say it has many more options, do you mean it has more than what you told me or that it has more than myroute-app has?  If so, I may want to download Tyre and compare. 
Harry

WTF Chuck

• IBA 74296
  • 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• Muck Cross Weather
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2017, 02:52:41 PM »

Unless I have not found everything in the myroute-app there is a lot more in Tyre.

KST's
WHAT' S Next
Darkside
Ecsta PA31
195/60/16

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2017, 05:44:29 PM »

Unless I have not found everything in the myroute-app there is a lot more in Tyre.

Hmmmm...I may have to look into Tyre, then.
Harry

LV76

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLTRUSE traded in
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE traded in
    • CVO3: 16 FLTRUSE
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2017, 07:28:35 PM »

Gentlemen,
I have been an avid user of ride planner and it has worked very well for me, mainly because I used the Harley RT 660 zumo, installed a new RT 660 on my 2015 then moved to my 2016. I got familiar with the RP when the RT 660 came standard on the 2011CVO FLTRU. I tried Gamin's basecamp and never put enough time into learning it, tried Tyre and a few others briefly but always went back to the ride planner, that is until the beginning of February, then the auto GPS sync on the RP site no longer works, called HOG spoke to a rep, she said she could help me, I said great explained my issue with the auto sync she then proceeds to answer and said that the auto sync has not worked for two years and you have to use the manual sync, I explain to her that I understand that you need to use the manual mode with a thumb drive on the 2014 newer Harley's with the infotainment system, but not with the Harley Road Tech Zumo she then repeats the two years that the auto mode has not worked and I get the impression that she is reading off of a list of answers to common problems, after she repeats the same thing, I explain to her that Harley sells the RT 660 zumo and it is not the GPS system in the newer infotainment systems and that I have been using the RT 660 since 2011 and the auto sync on the ride planner site has worked as recently as the beginning of January 2017, she puts me on hold to speak with a more knowledgeable person, she comes back on and tries to explain what ever answer she got from the person she spoke to I cut in and asked if I could speak to the ride planner knowledgeable person, she says sure and then he get on the line I explain everything to him and he starts giving me the same answer I then clarify that I am familiar with the infotainment GPS and the manual mode on the ride planner site and then told him that the auto sync has worked consistently for me with my Harley RT 660 zumo GPS since 2014 and as recently as January when I exported a route from the ride planner thru the auto sync to my RT zumo, he then said that he needs to speak to someone else and that he would get back to me. Well it has been 5 days and I have not heard back from him.   

That leads me to today and the recent post that I have been reading describing the 'My-Route App', well when the auto sync stopped working last weekend I checked out a few of the recent sites offering route planning, tried 'My Scenic Ride" played with it over a couple days, plugging in a few days of routes that I have planned in a 7day trip around the Great Lakes coming up this June and wasn't comfortable with it, then ran across the My Route App and used the web version that they offer with the 30 day free trial of their 'Gold' version (paid portion that they offer). I plan out 5 days of my upcoming trip into their system exported, separate days to my RT 660 zumo and previewed them and they look to be exactly as planned, I'll have to try out a few planned local routes to confirm. The site has a lot to offer Google Map, Tom Tom and HERE map views (HERE is what Garmin uses) and they offer multiple ways to save your route dependant on what your GPS recognizes, also has POI search while planning your route and has a favorite file for locations which is nice when planning multiple day routes along with a particular place that you may use allot for say a starting point for local routes. They also have a on site forum for questions along with support, which I used on an issue I had and was answered the next day with a full explanation with illustrations which was nice. With the limited use that I experienced so far I will say that My-Route-app is my go to site for route planning.       

Glenncarp

« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2017, 09:06:22 AM »

Gentlemen,
I have been an avid user of ride planner and it has worked very well for me, mainly because I used the Harley RT 660 zumo, installed a new RT 660 on my 2015 then moved to my 2016. I got familiar with the RP when the RT 660 came standard on the 2011CVO FLTRU. I tried Gamin's basecamp and never put enough time into learning it, tried Tyre and a few others briefly but always went back to the ride planner, that is until the beginning of February, then the auto GPS sync on the RP site no longer works, called HOG spoke to a rep, she said she could help me, I said great explained my issue with the auto sync she then proceeds to answer and said that the auto sync has not worked for two years and you have to use the manual sync, I explain to her that I understand that you need to use the manual mode with a thumb drive on the 2014 newer Harley's with the infotainment system, but not with the Harley Road Tech Zumo she then repeats the two years that the auto mode has not worked and I get the impression that she is reading off of a list of answers to common problems, after she repeats the same thing, I explain to her that Harley sells the RT 660 zumo and it is not the GPS system in the newer infotainment systems and that I have been using the RT 660 since 2011 and the auto sync on the ride planner site has worked as recently as the beginning of January 2017, she puts me on hold to speak with a more knowledgeable person, she comes back on and tries to explain what ever answer she got from the person she spoke to I cut in and asked if I could speak to the ride planner knowledgeable person, she says sure and then he get on the line I explain everything to him and he starts giving me the same answer I then clarify that I am familiar with the infotainment GPS and the manual mode on the ride planner site and then told him that the auto sync has worked consistently for me with my Harley RT 660 zumo GPS since 2014 and as recently as January when I exported a route from the ride planner thru the auto sync to my RT zumo, he then said that he needs to speak to someone else and that he would get back to me. Well it has been 5 days and I have not heard back from him.   

That leads me to today and the recent post that I have been reading describing the 'My-Route App', well when the auto sync stopped working last weekend I checked out a few of the recent sites offering route planning, tried 'My Scenic Ride" played with it over a couple days, plugging in a few days of routes that I have planned in a 7day trip around the Great Lakes coming up this June and wasn't comfortable with it, then ran across the My Route App and used the web version that they offer with the 30 day free trial of their 'Gold' version (paid portion that they offer). I plan out 5 days of my upcoming trip into their system exported, separate days to my RT 660 zumo and previewed them and they look to be exactly as planned, I'll have to try out a few planned local routes to confirm. The site has a lot to offer Google Map, Tom Tom and HERE map views (HERE is what Garmin uses) and they offer multiple ways to save your route dependant on what your GPS recognizes, also has POI search while planning your route and has a favorite file for locations which is nice when planning multiple day routes along with a particular place that you may use allot for say a starting point for local routes. They also have a on site forum for questions along with support, which I used on an issue I had and was answered the next day with a full explanation with illustrations which was nice. With the limited use that I experienced so far I will say that My-Route-app is my go to site for route planning.     

Why cant us still use your Zummo with Ride Planner and us manual mode? All you do is choose the Zummo as the import location, or save the route to "download" folder, should be the default, then move it to the Zummo which should show up as a drive on your computer once it is connected with a USB cable?

I'm confused at this issue

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2017, 12:56:39 PM »

Gentlemen,

Good post, LV.  I'm hoping your experiences with MRA (I dislike having to type out Myroute-app every time!) will work out well for you, and am also hoping you will help us get more out of it as well!
Thanks,
Harry

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 21 queries.