Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crank/Pinion Runout  (Read 5684 times)

Sean M Cary

Crank/Pinion Runout
« on: June 23, 2008, 07:16:09 PM »

OK - so I have Cam Tensioners and 11.5k on my motor...  Hoist told me to check the crank run out before I considered gear driven cams...  Is this what I need to do?

Sean

Crank Runout

cash338

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2001 FLTRSEI2
Re: Crank/Pinion Runout
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 07:18:47 PM »

Yes, If there is too much run-out, the gear driven cams can make a whining noise...I put a set in mine at 28000 miles, no problem.
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 07:23:18 PM »

Sean,
It wouldn't hurt to have it checked. The bike will be torn down to the point it's not going to be a problem to check it (cam side). If you are going to have the work done you can request it be checked when the cams are installed.

BTW - If you're looking for cams only (no other motor work) there are a couple companies that have bolt in cams for the 103ci motors that are really good.....

REDSHIFT 575 CAMS & OTHER PRETTY PARTS (several dyno runs in this thread)

FCC14 Cams 103 Dyno

Freedom Cycles "Secret" FCC9 Cam Dyno (earlier version of the FCC14)

Freedom Cycles CVO 103 Cams

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 12:19:03 AM »

How many shop hours are involved in checking crank run-out? And considering the accuracy given by many HD Dealership shops and one would want to check his own, is there a crank run-out check 101 around anywhere? In other words besides dial indicator tools what are the steps for setting the indicator up to check?? Checking runout probably should be a mandatory check for all Twin Cams engines from 2007 up. What do yo all think??

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 02:18:58 AM »

How many shop hours are involved in checking crank run-out? And considering the accuracy given by many HD Dealership shops and one would want to check his own, is there a crank run-out check 101 around anywhere? In other words besides dial indicator tools what are the steps for setting the indicator up to check?? Checking runout probably should be a mandatory check for all Twin Cams engines from 2007 up. What do yo all think??

Once the cam chest is opened up it should only take a few minutes to check the runout. There is only the indicator and a mount need to do the check. It is a must check on all engines when going to gear drive. On 07 and up (06 and up Dynas) the updated tensioners are used and gear driven cams are not as important as the earlier TC's as the hydro tensioners have proven to work pretty well.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 06:18:55 AM »

Once the cam chest is opened up it should only take a few minutes to check the runout. There is only the indicator and a mount need to do the check. It is a must check on all engines when going to gear drive. On 07 and up (06 and up Dynas) the updated tensioners are used and gear driven cams are not as important as the earlier TC's as the hydro tensioners have proven to work pretty well.

I have a dial indicator - anything fancy to the mount?

Sean

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 06:22:14 AM »

I'm no motorhead, but I saw mine when they were first checking it. It had wallowed out a eggshaped hole in the cam plate. I could see it with my eye 20 feet away and my vision isn't the greatest. It checked .008" in the engine, and .014 after they tore into it deeper.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 08:50:52 AM »

I have a dial indicator - anything fancy to the mount?

Sean

No, just a sturdy mount, no flex. The only problem is if you ordering cams, you would have to open the cam chest up first to check runout before you could order the cams, more down time!

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 10:13:09 AM »

Well this is a real catch 22.

I would probably do the cams myself, not really that big a deal.

But if the run out is bad then what - the bike is under warranty - what do you do?

Put it back together with the old cams and let the dealer fix the run out? That should be an interesting conversation at the service counter.

Then do the cams? They already have it apart. Suppose your findings don't match theirs - even if you could get them to do it.

What are the symptoms of excessive run out?
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Sean M Cary

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 12:13:15 PM »

No, just a sturdy mount, no flex. The only problem is if you ordering cams, you would have to open the cam chest up first to check runout before you could order the cams, more down time!

I have TWO MC's...so just gotta ride the Kawa during the downtime.  This will be a next winter project when I move back up to VA. 

I guess if you have too much run out, you can go the hydraulic adjuster instead of the chain adjusters?

Sean

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 01:28:41 PM »

I have TWO MC's...so just gotta ride the Kawa during the downtime.  This will be a next winter project when I move back up to VA. 

I guess if you have too much run out, you can go the hydraulic adjuster instead of the chain adjusters?

Sean

Really it should be fixed if out of spec, it can tear up your oil pump along with problems on the other side of the crank too. But it's a lot of money!

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 21 queries.