Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: cam tensioners  (Read 9189 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Re: cam tensioners
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2008, 12:08:34 PM »

Generic answer to a generic question

simple answer to a simple question
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

se_glide

• '01 FLTRSEI2
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2008, 10:58:24 PM »

Here's a pic of my tensioners at 27K. Wear is 0.045" on both the outer and inner. Oil has been Mobil1 since 1K. I don't "ride it like I stold it" but it's not babied either.
I don't know where I'm at, but I know I'm not lost.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2008, 08:19:46 AM »

Here's a pic of my tensioners at 27K. Wear is 0.045" on both the outer and inner. Oil has been Mobil1 since 1K. I don't "ride it like I stold it" but it's not babied either.

Did you upgrade to gear driven cams?

Also were any of those missing pieces found?

Sean

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2008, 08:22:02 AM »

I see this pic at 27k & my RK has 54k on it.......

Gear drives I have heard are noisy.  Looking to just replace the tensioners since the bike is expected to be low mileage - less than 5k a year.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Sean M Cary

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2008, 08:24:32 AM »

Gear drives I have heard are noisy.  Looking to just replace the tensioners since the bike is expected to be low mileage - less than 5k a year.

Any after market tensioners that are better material?

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2008, 08:34:37 AM »

Any after market tensioners that are better material?

Somebody here said they make them out of a different material now.  Do not know where that thread is.  Jerry - grc - would likely know if anyone does.

Evos used the gear drive.  HD switched because of noise requirements - EPA. Cars have used cam shoes for years & many don't have this problem.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2008, 09:19:31 AM »

My theory on why some wear at a much faster rate than others is because of different chain vendors.....some of the chains I've seen have very sharp edges and others don't.........I've talked to some Techs that believe this to be the case as opposed to the theory of riding styles.  Also, the newer type shoes are not showing the same premature wear, so I'm being told. I also have 54K on mine and they are not worn excessively.   :-\ spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2008, 09:30:50 AM »

My theory on why some wear at a much faster rate than others is because of different chain vendors.....some of the chains I've seen have very sharp edges and others don't.........I've talked to some Techs that believe this to be the case as opposed to the theory of riding styles.  Also, the newer type shoes are not showing the same premature wear, so I'm being told. I also have 54K on mine and they are not worn excessively.   :-\ spyder

Have heard the same on the newer shoes, Spyder.  Techs have told me the same info - chain causing wear due to type/manufacturer (your sharp edges reference).  Have also heard that oil selection/type has little to do with this issue - mostly a chain issue causing wear on tensioners.

Are you staying with the chain drive?  When do you think they will need to be replaced?  Have seen some that lasted 70k.

Mike

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2008, 10:45:35 AM »

Have heard the same on the newer shoes, Spyder.  Techs have told me the same info - chain causing wear due to type/manufacturer (your sharp edges reference).  Have also heard that oil selection/type has little to do with this issue - mostly a chain issue causing wear on tensioners.

Are you staying with the chain drive?  When do you think they will need to be replaced?  Have seen some that lasted 70k.

Mike
Not sure yet, but will probably go w/ the gear drive cams.......there are people that can match 'em to ensure low noise.  :) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2008, 01:10:37 PM »

Not sure yet, but will probably go w/ the gear drive cams.......there are people that can match 'em to ensure low noise.  :) spyder

How loud are we talking??  Over the exhaust loud?

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2008, 01:26:28 PM »

How loud are we talking??  Over the exhaust loud?
oh no......but it's just not a mechanical noise that adds to the enjoyment of the experience (unless you're building a racing motor.....and then you don't care).  :P har!  spyder

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2008, 01:28:18 PM »

Mine kinda whir and whine around versus the chain sound, no worries.  My buds tensioners went slow then started making a bad noise, changed them before it ate the oiler...No worries with just putting fresh tensioners either, he is a cheap sob...Don't even buy soap to wash the bike.  :P

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2008, 01:29:09 PM »

Mine kinda whir and whine around versus the chain sound, no worries.  My buds tensioners went slow then started making a bad noise, changed them before it ate the oiler...No worries with just putting fresh tensioners either, he is a cheap sob...Don't even buy soap to wash the bike.  :P

But mine has 4 cams!

se_glide

• '01 FLTRSEI2
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2008, 07:26:42 PM »

Did you upgrade to gear driven cams?

Also were any of those missing pieces found?

Sean

No on the gear drives. Tech found none of the missing pieces. Probably were small enough to pass through the oil gears and end up in the filter.  Oil psi good. The replacement tensioners are a new material. Also did the chain guide, the cam bearings and installed adjustible push rods to avoid taking the top end apart. I will be opening up my oil filters at every change to look for plastic. Seeing none, plan to eyeball the tensioners again at 60K.
I don't know where I'm at, but I know I'm not lost.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.