Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Author Topic: 110 Motors  (Read 22328 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: 110 Motors
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2008, 05:22:41 PM »

Sorry about digging up this dinosaur of a thread but I wanted to have a pointer to Jerry's posted images from TT324 and I have a question for the esteemed CVO veterans of this site.

My FLHTCUSE2 is in getting the "product improvement" done as well as SE-251 cams, 50mm throttle body, etc.

I asked them to measure my crank run-out while she's in the shop based on all the problems reported on this site being all too well aware of that fateful accounting procedure that moved the run-out spec from .003 to .012 in TT324

I was hoping my bike would either fall into the .001 category or the .013 category so that either I wouldn't worry about it or I could do the darkhorse/timken upgrade at minimal cost.  As fate would have it my run-out was .005 which while not horrible has me thinking I should just go ahead and pay to have the darkhorse/timken upgrade done despite the cost.

Any suggestions/ideas/thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Buvy

Brian, if you're concerned about your w.....ty at all, leave it alone. If it gets worse, hopefully it'll get ya a new engine. Once you do that work on the bottom end, you'll lose the w.....ty and be on your own. If you want to move forward and do that work anyway, then say FTW, and do whatever you want to the motor. Don't skimp and let HD build it just to save a few bucks on labor under w.....ty. If you build a non-w.....teed complete motor, than build what you want at that point, and use a capable engine builder. Otherwise, leave it alone for now. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2008, 06:40:16 PM »

Sorry about digging up this dinosaur of a thread but I wanted to have a pointer to Jerry's posted images from TT324 and I have a question for the esteemed CVO veterans of this site.

My FLHTCUSE2 is in getting the "product improvement" done as well as SE-251 cams, 50mm throttle body, etc.

I asked them to measure my crank run-out while she's in the shop based on all the problems reported on this site being all too well aware of that fateful accounting procedure that moved the run-out spec from .003 to .012 in TT324

I was hoping my bike would either fall into the .001 category or the .013 category so that either I wouldn't worry about it or I could do the darkhorse/timken upgrade at minimal cost.  As fate would have it my run-out was .005 which while not horrible has me thinking I should just go ahead and pay to have the darkhorse/timken upgrade done despite the cost.

Any suggestions/ideas/thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Buvy

Other then the financial outlay - there is no downside to the darkhorse/timken upgrade as far as the motor is concerned.  You will never have to think of your bottom end again.  Whether or not your warranty is effected or not greatly depends upon your dealer.

When I was deciding what to do with my motor, I quizzed my dealer about doing exactly this.  The GM - who I know very well and trust - told be doing the bottom end on my nickel would in no way effect the warranty on the top end if I had them do the repairs.  And I know I could take his word to the bank.

Now other dealers - who knows...  But your motor would be happy if it had a darkhorse crankshaft and timkens!  That's for sure!   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Buvy

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2008, 02:11:33 PM »

I only have 9 months left on my w.....ty so the w.....ty isn't much of a concern since I'd really only get to ride for 3 of those 9 months and I can't see too much happening during such a short window.

I guess the real concern is when I get the ESP which I would get the full 5 year extension so I've inquired what the bottom end mods would do for the extended w.....ty given I probably will not be living in Michigan for the duration of 5 more years.

Thanks for the advice Hoist! and sadunbar I'll let you know what they have to say.
We're the renegades of this time and age
This is the time and age of renegades!

skyhook

• Senior CVO Member
  • ride 'em don't hide 'em

• CVO1: '08 fxdse2
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2008, 08:48:54 PM »

I don't think the 110 bottom end is any more prone to fail than the 96...also don't believe crank failure is epidemic...surely there's a higher incidence of crank failure/excessive runout...here on the internet we have blown the issue way out of proportion...there's nothing wrong with the 110 motor once the excessive heat and compression are fixed...I have many miles on '03 and later a-motors with no problems...I also know how to use the clutch to smoothly load and unload the powertrain, do not lug, holeshot, burnout, always pull in the clutch over big bumps, potholes, railroad tracks, etc...as always, just my humble opinion
08 fxdse2, r&r heads, 257 cam, hpi 55mm t/body, supermeg
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 25 queries.