Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Re: Planning trip across the USA (and back!)  (Read 3543 times)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: Planning trip across the USA (and back!)
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2006, 01:42:13 PM »

I just got the new HD Enthusiast Magazine and it has an article on the basic items you need to take on a long trip.
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2006, 01:50:31 PM »

I don't agree, first and most important thing to take on any bike trip is a [highlight]"get out of jail free card".[/highlight]
Give a few bucks to your local sherriff's re-election campaign and get your deputy badge and ID. That is the best money you will ever spend. I have yet to find any situation that the badge wont get me out of; including 118 in a 30 mph zone in a small Alabama town known as a speed trap. I'm tellin ya, better than chrome! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2006, 04:50:23 PM »

True'r words were never spoken MJ....

BadDog

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2006, 03:32:35 PM »

[smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] FINALLY - A RESERVE FUEL VALVE FOR ALL OF US WITH ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTION (EFI)!

First of all, I want to thank all of you who have responded with helpful hints for my long trip coming up this fall.  The advice has been most helpful.  To report on just a few of the many good suggestions I can tell you that I have: 1)purchased a Corbin "Stinger" seat with 14 inches of vertical support with the backrest and custom made with black leather and cobalt blue flames on the rear to go with the look of the bike; 2) purchased an electric Widder vest and gloves (based on the suggestions from the Iron Butt rider); 3) purchased Microsoft Streets and Trips to help me plan the itinerary for the trip (great tool); 4) soon to purchase a Garmin 2730 GPS to help me know where the heck I am at any given moment and to know where the heck the nearest gas station is!...... but most importantly....... based on your suggestions of running out of gas in the middle of nowhere I researched and have now just purchased two devices from Pingel that restore my good old mechanical reserve function (even though I have an EFI bike with an "Idiot Light").

So here it is guys:  I contacted Pingel (the fuel valve company) and purchased two of their products: part #62052 Carb conversion kit $33.95 and part # 6311-CR High Flow fuel valve $98.70.  The two parts were not inexpensive at $133 HOWEVER, I now have a mechanical reserve valve.  The EFI conversion kit is NOrmally for converting back to a carburetor from EFI.  You simply use the adapter that comes with the conversion kit and insert the new High Flow pingel fuel valve into it and you now have a mechanical reserve.  You simply do not use the return valve plug that comes with the kit (if you were eliminating EFI).  So for $133 I now know when I am running on reserve and start thinking full time about getting to that nearest gas station.  Forget the IDIOT light on the dashboard....I'm too busy looking at the beautiful view!

Bad Dog

Here's the link to the conversion kit...... and then pick your own high flow fuel valve!

http://www.pingelonline.com/magneti_marelli_conversion.htm

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.