Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Tire pressure Qs  (Read 5712 times)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
Re: Tire pressure Qs
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2010, 09:36:09 AM »

My preference is +2 psi over sidewall on the front and the back. 

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2010, 10:34:13 AM »

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/Nitrogen.htm

Good article on Nitrogen on the Dynabeads site.
RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

DABB

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Spicy
    • CVO2: Waiting for a yellow Ultra
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2010, 09:36:30 PM »

DABB
I can ride up and you can ride mine it has the monotubes in it so you can try before you buy them. I'm happy with them  :2vrolijk_21:

This is a great idea.  Did you do the install yourself?
I am a man of simple tastes, easily satisfied with the best.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2010, 02:00:03 AM »

It's a motorcycle,  not a Bently.  So you can't expect it to ride like one.   No matter what.  Safety comes first. I didn't mean to sound harsh or ridicule, but doing something like riding around with such low air pressure can get you killed. Many years ago someone told me,   "no fender benders on a motorcycle".  I never forgot those words... That's all.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2010, 08:41:19 AM »

The ride is firm. Some bumps feel like you've hit it so hard, you might have thought you bent a rim. There's this bump on the freeway I can't forget, you prepare yourself, cuz it could almost throw you off your bike. Just characteristics of the bike. Takes getting used to.

Kind of like driving a BMW or any car with sport suspension and low profile tires.  You trade cush and comfort for handling....which do you prefer?  My riding style prefers the handling over the cush. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2010, 01:10:06 PM »

This is a great idea.  Did you do the install yourself?

No I didnt have the special tools, I had a local Independent shop do it. I think install was 189.00 and I supplied the mono tubes.

Really eliminates front end brake dive and rise on hard acceleration.

The lower forks need to be dissasembled for this install. I am not going to make the Tomahawk run. When you get back though we can set a rendevous and try it out. :2vrolijk_21:
RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2010, 02:44:13 PM »

I run tires about 2psi below the max pressure rating (cold). Better mpg, handling, and tire wear as a result.

jb

DABB

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2010, 11:01:37 PM »

Sounds great Wheels.  I will look forward to also checking out your new MBB addition. 

lastdegree

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Spiced Rum a.k.a Jack Sparrow
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2010, 09:04:11 AM »

The monotubes are a nice mod.  We have a racing suspension co local to me name Maxton - do all the Isle of Man TT bikes that have highly recommended a change in springs et al in the front.  I experience lift on high speed corners and dive under breaking that's more than I believe it should be.    Sort of worrying at 90mph round corners close to other cars etc. 

A local tech has told me that a rear stability kit is coming also - anyone have news on this?

The suspension's not as great as most say IMO. 

Cheers

Spiced Rum 100% stock. just as it left the factory and that's what my good lady thinks too!

Racerdj

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2015 FLHXSE

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2010, 08:29:11 AM »

Riding with 38/38 and no problems with the ride quality.
Harley addict here looking for 'The Cure'

Beach Bagger

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2011, 11:35:41 PM »

Hate to dig up such an old thread here, but what is the Harley recommended air pressure for the rear tire (Dunlop D407 180/55B18) on a FLHXSE?  The sidewall lists the max load at 992lbs at 42lbs of pressure, but I think the recommended pressure listed in the book is less than 42.  I dont have the book so I can't look it up. 

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2011, 02:17:30 PM »

Hate to dig up such an old thread here, but what is the Harley recommended air pressure for the rear tire (Dunlop D407 180/55B18) on a FLHXSE?  The sidewall lists the max load at 992lbs at 42lbs of pressure, but I think the recommended pressure listed in the book is less than 42.  I dont have the book so I can't look it up. 

40psi cold on rear, 36 on front.

All this air pressure stuff ain't rocket science.  Just run the pressures that the owner's manuall state.  Stock suspension sucks on both ends, but you don't have to sacrifice handling for ride comfort, IF you get good components.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

DABB

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2011, 03:18:40 PM »

40psi cold on rear, 36 on front.

All this air pressure stuff ain't rocket science.  Just run the pressures that the owner's manuall state.  Stock suspension sucks on both ends, but you don't have to sacrifice handling for ride comfort, IF you get good components.

What do you recommend as good components.  I would love to do something to my front suspension to improve the ride.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2011, 05:37:42 PM »

What do you recommend as good components.  I would love to do something to my front suspension to improve the ride.

Well, like anything else, it depends on how much you want to spend.  If you want the absolute best front suspension out there, from a company that stands behind what they do/sell, and a suspension that is night and day different than stock...the Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 is the way to go.  I've had it on three bikes, and for me, it's an absolute must add.  Progressive Monotubes or Ricor Intimidators would be other, less expensive choices.  Many here have done one of the three.  I've never talked to anyone who DIDN'T like the Traxxion AK-20 cartridge suspension, but it ain't cheap, even with the small discount they give us for the CVO site.  If you want them, you either have to take a road trip to North of Atlanta and let them do the install in their shop (unsurpassed care and workmanship), or ship them your forks, let them do it, then re-install.  It's worth the visit...they are great folks, and you get to see the quality machining that goes into making their product...all in-house.  Depending on how comfortable you are with doing your own work, the Progressive Monotubes or Ricor products can be installed in your garage or by a QUALIFIED technician.  Any one of the three would be a vast improvement over the '68 Buick front end HD puts on the bike, with the Traxxion being the absolute best.  Suspension is all relative...if you've never ridden a bike with GOOD suspension, you have no basis for comparison, so the Harley chit may seem OK.  I have not ridden a bike with the new rear shocks they are putting on the SESG's, so really can't comment on them.  The air shocks suck, big time, IMO.  I have Legend Air rear shocks on my SERGU, one reason being is that they allow me to lower the rear end 3" when parking the bike, and I'm short.  There are other good rear shocks out there...Bitubo (through Traxxion Dynamics), Progressive, Works, and probably some I don't know about.  I like riding the twisties hard, and don't like front end dive, bottoming out, and ill handling bikes, so the best suspension I can get is important to me...more so than increased HP by spending money on cams, etc.  It's all about what's important to you, how long you are likely to keep the bike, how hard you ride, how many miles you ride a year, etc.

If you do a search on here for any of those products, you'll find several threads to study.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2011, 06:41:03 PM »

Kind of like driving a BMW or any car with sport suspension and low profile tires.  You trade cush and comfort for handling....which do you prefer?  My riding style prefers the handling over the cush. :2vrolijk_21:
X2
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 25 queries.