Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Loops - ECM - Tuners - Maps: I Need Help!  (Read 4900 times)

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
Re: Loops - ECM - Tuners - Maps: I Need Help!
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2008, 08:18:32 PM »

Would the 110 motor with no mods benefit from a tuner(SERT, PCIII, etc). If so in what ways?

PAPA T

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FXDSE2
    • CVO2: Not CVO 99FXSTS
    • CVO3: NOT CVO 83 Ironhead & 98 Sportys
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2008, 12:19:56 PM »

Would the 110 motor with no mods benefit from a tuner(SERT, PCIII, etc). If so in what ways?

MY Question exactly!!!

I would like to keep the H-D warranty intact and still tune the bike to it's highest performance levels in "Stock" configuration until the warranty goes out.

It'll feel better when it quits hurting!!!

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2008, 03:42:30 PM »

Yes  - you can lower the operating temperature of your motor and improve the performance if it were dyno tuned by a competent tuner (after adding a SERT, Power Commander, etc.) - even if you have changed nothing.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2008, 08:06:24 AM »

Yes  - you can lower the operating temperature of your motor and improve the performance if it were dyno tuned by a competent tuner (after adding a SERT, Power Commander, etc.) - even if you have changed nothing.

you don't need a dyno tune to get those results, only the fuel management device.
you only need a dyno tune to get every last ounce of power from the motor.
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

eddfive

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2008, 09:41:05 AM »

Let's keep this thread on track.  The original question:
My name is Brian and I Need HELP! There I said it, so now the healing can begin.

I've been reading the posts about exhaust upgrades and it is all greek to me. I what my SERG to rumble the way it was meant to. I've removed the cat and now I'm adding the 2" Fullsac cores. I don't plan on doing anything more than that. Some of the posts I've read say I'm good to go while other say even a stock bike needs upgrades because it runs too lean.

I must have been sick the day they taught this stuff in HD101 cause I know nothing about loops, ECM, tuners, Maps, SERT & Super SERT. Can someone educate me on loops, tuners / Maps ( do I need one, can I add it myself, cost, can the dealer do it, is it a one time setup, does it void the warranty), ECM and whatever else I need to know to avoid hurting myself

The modifications you have done require a tune.  There is not a canned map on a CD or a web site that will match your configuration exactly.  If you want to stay all Harley then use the newest Super Pro Tuner and find someone that can tune with it.  If you want to do your own work then buy MasterTune and you can tune most not all of the the AFR and VE tables yourself.  If you really want to play with it and want to continually adjust parameters then buy one of the replacement ECU's and auto tune the AFR's.  The replacement ECU's will require operator intervention from time to time for tweeking.  Warranty is at the dealer discretion and they have to prove that the tune or the replacement ECU caused damage.  Some dealers will not even look at the bike if it has an aftermarket ECU so I would suggest staying with the Delphi ECU and having it tuned.

Having said all that doing AFR"s for any of the systems is really only part of the tune.  There are many tables that need to be optimized to your upgrades that impact fuel economy and driveability.  One table that can not be auto tuned is the ignition table and this is a very integral part of any good tune.  To get the ignition tables right you really need a dyno with a load brake.  Doing ignition by the seat of the pants will take a long time and may or may not be correct.  Ignition timing is important for no spark knock activity(pinging) and also heat as a retarded ignition table will generate heat and the bike will run hotter.

Find a tuner that will give you optimal results and not just tune the AFR.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 21 queries.