Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Ohlins #6 Rear Shocks  (Read 8957 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Ohlins #6 Rear Shocks
« on: January 27, 2015, 08:41:36 PM »

They came today. I am having them installed on Thursday afternoon. I can't wait. I'll post some pics and a write up of the initial ride.

"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
Re: Ohlins #6 Rear Shocks
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 01:54:33 AM »

Your gonna love them!!
Alan

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 07:21:06 AM »

I look forward to your review, I hope they work out.  :2vrolijk_21:
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 08:39:43 PM »

I really like my Ohlin HD-159's so I know you will have to love these.  Look forward to your report.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 07:24:17 AM »

They came today. I am having them installed on Thursday afternoon. I can't wait. I'll post some pics and a write up of the initial ride.

Those are a thing of beauty.
FuelMotos exhaust and tuning, Ohlins Front/Rear

MadCVORG

• '11 FLTRUSE
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 05:35:59 PM »

Once you get them installed, give them a good shakedown run and let us know!

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 10:39:50 PM »

I had them installed today.

Greg offered to let me use his lift, tools and assistance to do the install, but I decided to let a local indy do it. I'm glad I did. The installation went well, but not without a hitch. The shocks bolted right in, but the canister mounts didn't align up perfectly with the saddlebag filler rail. So I called Howard at Motorcycle Metal. He gave us a couple of options and we ended up drilling new mounting holes in the filler strip. Everything fits fine now.

My first sitting found me slightly higher, and I'm okay with that. I can now use my EZ-UP center stand without having to roll the rear wheel on a piece of flooring! I also see well over the top edge of the windshield. None of these two issues were BIG, but they are nice!

On the ride home on Sepulveda Blvd I immediately felt the difference. The ride was cushy, but not mushy. Firm, but not hard. I intentionally went over dips, uneven spots in the pavement, both low and high man hole covers and blacktop buckled by subterranean tree roots. While I did feel bumps, none of them were jarring. The back rest on my seat did not slam or shove me forward. I felt a little more confident in the corners, but I'm not sure if that was due to the shocks, or the increased height which allowed me to lean over more without fear of dragging. The back end was firm in the curves. Tomorrow i will seek out turns with uneven pavement and surfaces to see how it does. I will also seek out the portions of the 405 freeway where the pavement is uneven and the expansion gaps have varying heights.

One of the main reasons for these Ohlins #6 was improved comfort. My wife didn't like getting slammed and bounced off the saddle when we hit bumps. I believe these will address those issues.

To date my suspension history on this bike is:

12" Factory StreetGlide Shocks
13" Factory Ultra Shocks
12" Suspension Technology Shocks
13" Ohlins #6 Shocks

The Ohlins are by far the BEST riding shocks of them all. I will post  more as I continue to ride more.

Mark

"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 12:32:59 AM »

And you know, if the wife ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!     :nervous:   Glad you like them!    :2vrolijk_21:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 01:46:38 AM »

Had them out for an extended test ride today, back streets and canyons

I put the bike through some varying surfaces, starting out with Lincoln Blvd where I made it a point to hit every pothole and man hole cover I came across. As before the ride was less jarring. Greg then took us down a winding dead end road laden with speed bumps as we searched for a short cut to Sunset Blvd. I felt the speed bumps, but did not have the rear slammed up and down going over them. Moreover, my aftermarket centerstand did not hit or drag.

Out in the canyons I really noticed a difference! The bike was much more responsive, but in a smoother way. I found myself leaning over further. With each corner my confidence increased as fear of scraping diminished. The bike tracked well and followed my eyes exactly where I wanted to go. Even curves with uneven and rough surfaces were no problem. Greg and I stopped at an overlook that had a pronounced drop off from pavement to dirt shoulder. He did a good job of avoiding it, but I got turned around and ended riding up it. The bike took it well. Tomorrow I will take it on the freeway and see how it fares.

I am really enjoying these shocks. And yes, while they are a very expensive upgrade, I would say that it's one of the best choices I have made for the bike. If I ever sell or trade the bike, these are coming with me.

Mark

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 04:10:09 PM »

Took a ride on the freeway today.

I made sure to hit the awful spots of the 405 and the bike handled them very well. One section has a large DIP where the sections of concrete have settled in an non uniform manner. I hit it at about 70mph. Whereas I used to get slammed and bounced, this time I only felt the dip. This always threw trepidation into me as on several occasions the dip induced wobble. Not this time, straight tracking. Further up there was a section where the lane changed back and forth between blacktop and concrete due to widening. This often caused the bike to track in the groove between the two surfaces. Not this time. I followed this by hitting a pot hole about 1.5" deep, (or whatever the thickness of asphalt is) where I could see right down into the sub surface. The pot hole was 10" wide and 24" long and I hit it at 70mph going downhill. I felt a slight bump and tracked straight. I got off on a side street and rode across concrete drainage dips across the road. Took them at 35mph and they felt like nothing. I used to have to come off the saddle and stand on the boards when crossing those. I jumped back on the freeway and rode undulating surfaces where the freeway had a bend in it. This was always the worst as the combination of speed, lean and uneven surface made the bike hop or wobble. Not this time.

All in all I am very pleased with the performance of these rear shocks. My bike rides, handles and feels like a totally different machine altogether.

One of the best investments I ever made for the bike. I can't wait to do the fronts now.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 09:37:41 PM »

Ohlins, the final chapter.

This past weekend I put the Ohlins through final and most challenging test. My wife. She does NOT know I changed the shocks. I did this for two reasons, first to maintain a baseline of expectations to better make a fair pre Ohlins comparison, and second to prevent her from knowing just how much I spent.

As we mounted up she reminded me to watch the road. Her first reactions were as I expected. She grunted while going over each dip and bump, but UNLIKE BEFORE, she did not go through a lengthy comment of how bad the ride is. She never complained of being slammed or bounced off the seat. After about 35 miles of both freeway and side streets, she did not grunt at all. And this was over terrain that I knew in the past would have had her carrying on in my ear about the bad ride and and the poor road conditions. On the freeway two-up the bike was very stable, even in crosswinds. The changes in freeway surfaces were not noticed.

We stayed the night at Docs and Terrys house in Lake Elsinore and this morning rode back. As before when she got on she was cautious. She would squeeze me and tense up as we approached a rough looking part of the road. She may have let out a grunt once or twice. but as before it was without merit. Inside of half an hour she was relaxed and said nothing more the rest of the way home.

All in all I would say that these Ohlins shocks have more than lived up to my expectations. They have met or exceeded my needs and the needs of my passenger. An expensive upgrade no doubt, but well worth it for me.

Finally, I believe that the Ohlins contributed to the bike handling better in the turns, due to the placement of my eyes. As we all know the motorcycle goes where we look, and the further and earlier through the turn we look, the smoother the bike will track in  the turn. Prior to the Ohlins my eyes started dropping down to the road in constant search of bad spots and rough terrain to avoid. And the poorer the road, the lower my eyes would drop and scan. This lead to poor cornering. With the Ohlins smoothing out the turns, my eyes are now up and looking through the turns for the exits, and not down looking at the pavement.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 09:59:38 AM by Ironhorse »

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 12:30:03 AM »

Great review.  Makes me even more excited about the delivery of my Ohlins in the next week or so.  Just can not go wrong with them.
FuelMotos exhaust and tuning, Ohlins Front/Rear

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 09:09:00 AM »

Great review.  Makes me even more excited about the delivery of my Ohlins in the next week or so.  Just can not go wrong with them.

Great, I can't wait to read your reviews.

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 10:13:52 AM »

I just installed my Ohlins from Howard at Motorcyclemetal.com. But just got a winter storm and I can't ride. Looks like it will be a couple of weeks before we are able to ride.... :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 10:58:15 AM by 110 Mofo »
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 10:42:15 AM »

And finally,......

This morning.

Me: Hey honey, how's your back?
Wife: My back?
Me; Yeah, we went riding this weekend.
Wife: It's fine.
Me:  :)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 24 queries.