Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Twin Cooled Twin Cam "Wet Head" Cam Issue  (Read 7050 times)

Fraca

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

Twin Cooled Twin Cam "Wet Head" Cam Issue
« on: February 05, 2015, 04:38:53 PM »

Man I'm pulling my hair out over this one, I've just brought a 2015 CVO 110 Street Glide and am considering a cam change. I know there's plenty of really good after market cams out there but given I have 5 years warranty to wait out I have to stick to what is on offer by Harley.

From all the hype over these motors the writers indicate that they have a higher lift cam over the old one, which I presume was the SE-255 in the air cooled model. If this is true then what is the cam in these new motors because the power curve looks similar to the previous air cooled model. I know the compression has been bumped up a bit which would account for the increase in torque in the twin cooled over the previous motor design. So has HD done a whole new cam profile for the engines or not?

I looked at a SE-585 but it is listed as not fitting the twin cooled engine?

Has anyone else come across this and what was your solution or am I the only one having drama?

All info appreciated as I can't get a straight answer from anywhere.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Twin Cooled Twin Cam "Wet Head" Cam Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 05:01:52 PM »

The cams in the 2015 CVO110 are still the old 255, and the compression ratio is still the same 9.2:1 that it's been since the 110 came out.  The blurb from Harley about increased compression and different cams pertained to the Twin Cooled standard engines, not the CVO.

Jerry
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 05:03:59 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 05:44:07 PM »

Jerry nailed it

Nothing new under the sun there..  as for the HD cams the 255 is the best fit for the comp ratio you have. Tune it and forget it.  A slight increase with a twin cooled .027 MLS gasket would help a small bit. But a fair amount of work for little rewards.

2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

Fraca

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 06:59:32 PM »

Thanks Fella's, sure is appreciated.  :2vrolijk_21:

I would have to agree if the compression hasn't been bumped up then I wouldn't probably consider a cam change as I don't want to unseal a new motor and replace pistons even if my dealer indicated my warranty wouldn't be effected, kinda defeats the purpose of buying a new bike in the first place.

So am I correct in presuming then that there is not much between the "new" 103 and the "old" 110 as far as torque and power is involved if I were to jump from one bike onto another and ride them both. I am sure the actual dyno stats on paper probably indicate a difference but would it be noticeable on road I wonder?

Sounds like I'll just being doing an exhaust system and tune then calling it quits until warranty is over and done with and I have enough miles on it to warrant a freshen up unless there are some other less intrusive tweeks that will make my engine exhaust package more efficient....

Thanks again Fraca

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 07:35:47 AM »

I'm surprised they say the SE .585 won't work in a WH110, valve springs not up to the task?
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 08:34:03 AM »

I'm surprised they say the SE .585 won't work in a WH110, valve springs not up to the task?

They don't have a lot of faith in their tolerances, just like most of us.  Back in 2008 they changed the valve guides after all the early failures, and one result was a reduction in the amount of available travel of the valves.  Check out the attached tech tip describing the affect on allowable valve lift.  I'm guessing that may have something to do with them saying the .585 lift cam isn't a bolt-in for the 110 with stock heads.  Or it could be just another mistake in their catalog, since that is quite common as well.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 09:36:51 AM »

Man Jerry is getting it done.

I have seen where the 585 cam has hit the valve seal... .. Reason we did the cam at a 577 lift and 555..  Guys do it all the time and even shops will say the S&S 585 is a bolt in..  Makes one take pause .. I would suggest that you choose a cam with less lift will keep things in the clear that way.. Good luck
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 05:59:35 PM by GMR-PERFORMANCE »
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 03:53:23 PM »

Ok I measured a new program head
.690 seal clearance and the springs go to coil bind at 1.105 with a 1.815 spring pack distance on the seat. So coil bind is not the limiter at .710. The seal distance - .060 which is customary yields .630 as a real world limit, ymmv.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 09:05:34 AM »

Ok I measured a new program head
.690 seal clearance and the springs go to coil bind at 1.105 with a 1.815 spring pack distance on the seat. So coil bind is not the limiter at .710. The seal distance - .060 which is customary yields .630 as a real world limit, ymmv.

Those numbers sound like what was common on the CVO103 heads as well as the early 110; real world limit over .600" plus a safety factor.  Unfortunately some late model 110's don't appear to have the same numbers, based on complaints such as those mentioned by Steve with cams having valve lifts of less than .600".  I think it would be wise for anyone contemplating cams with valve lifts over .580" to at least check their clearances before just slapping in the cams, firing it up, and riding off into the sunset.  I trust Harley's tolerances about as much as I trust the typical politician, if you know what I mean.  Plus or minus whatever they can get away with seems to be the new normal.

JMHO - Jerry

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 12:05:29 PM »

Jerry
I couldn't agree more. The MOCO TSBs and other P&A documents are relevant but when real world trumps that it becomes necessary to check everything. I talked to Steve the other day about out of spec guides. Comes a point when you can't trust much.
I have many sets of these heads and also late model take-offs. I threw the Trock on 3 sets total without tearing them apart and 1 more measuring. All went to .680 to .700 before bind.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 03:14:17 PM »

Jerry
I couldn't agree more. The MOCO TSBs and other P&A documents are relevant but when real world trumps that it becomes necessary to check everything. I talked to Steve the other day about out of spec guides. Comes a point when you can't trust much.
I have many sets of these heads and also late model take-offs. I threw the Trock on 3 sets total without tearing them apart and 1 more measuring. All went to .680 to .700 before bind.

:2vrolijk_21:   Good to know.  Perhaps Harley has finally improved their process controls?   :nervous:

Jerry

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 06:15:00 PM »

To the OP, this shows the cams fitting CVO touring models. http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/twin-cam-performance-cams---se-585

I agree with others here double checking.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 06:30:12 PM by Ridgerunr »
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 06:14:18 AM »

............and those S/E spring upper collars have left contact marks in the rocker covers as well.
Scott

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 24 queries.