Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: jiffy stand  (Read 19578 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: jiffy stand
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2015, 10:02:22 AM »

I often wonder if anyone other than me actually takes the jiffy stand apart, cleans and inspects the pivot, lubricates everything with grease, and puts it back together.  It's on the service checklists, but somehow I doubt many dealerships ever do it.  The pivot is pretty wide open, so crap can and does make it's way in where it can cause sticking and wear.  It can also lead to the stand not moving completely to the fully extended position without assistance from your foot, and failure to get it completely extended will lead to the "dropping the bike" issue.

Btw, the tendency may be to just shoot some aerosol lube into the opening instead of actually disassembling everything.  While better than nothing, it's not the best method.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 10:59:59 AM »

Don't jiffy stands have a square or round with flat on the top that keys into the tab that locks into the slot cast into the jiffy stand?

If the top tab came loose and has worn a bit, it may not hold when the tab is locked into the slot.

Other than that, the only reason I replaced the one on my '76 FL shovelhead is that it was rusty and wanted a new clean shinny one for my restore job.

I guess I've never heard of one "wearing out".
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2015, 11:02:46 AM »

Don't jiffy stands have a square or round with flat on the top that keys into the tab that locks into the slot cast into the jiffy stand?

If the top tab came loose and has worn a bit, it may not hold when the tab is locked into the slot.

Other than that, the only reason I replaced the one on my '76 FL shovelhead is that it was rusty and wanted a new clean shinny one for my restore job.

I guess I've never heard of one "wearing out".

I have seen that square tab get worn some to the point of it being a little bit "sloppy".

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2015, 11:22:33 AM »

jerrry,

i disassemble mine every 5k when i do the oil change and clean it up and put a little lube on it.  if the spring is a little weak and doesn't hold the jiffy up against the frame tight, i will replace that as well.  i hate a 'mushy' stand.

dan,

i've also seen some that were worn to the point of being sloppy.  but it would still lock very well.  just had more play than i would have liked, but it wasn't my bike so no worries for me :D
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2015, 03:03:51 PM »

jerrry,

i disassemble mine every 5k when i do the oil change and clean it up and put a little lube on it.  if the spring is a little weak and doesn't hold the jiffy up against the frame tight, i will replace that as well.  i hate a 'mushy' stand.

dan,

i've also seen some that were worn to the point of being sloppy.  but it would still lock very well.  just had more play than i would have liked, but it wasn't my bike so no worries for me :D

I know what you mean Dan, I hate that sloppiness as well.  In this case, since Harley has the stand designed to move in and out as well as fore and aft, sloppiness is part of the beast.  The part I hate the most about the Touring stands is the amount of fore and aft slop in the actual locking tab.  No matter how many times it has happened, if I have to park slightly nose down all that movement before the stand locks up still gives me the heebie jeebies.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2015, 04:41:10 PM »

I know what you mean Dan, I hate that sloppiness as well.  In this case, since Harley has the stand designed to move in and out as well as fore and aft, sloppiness is part of the beast.  The part I hate the most about the Touring stands is the amount of fore and aft slop in the actual locking tab.  No matter how many times it has happened, if I have to park slightly nose down all that movement before the stand locks up still gives me the heebie jeebies.

Jerry
I completely agree with that, scares the s--- out of me every single time even though I know better..
Alan

src

• CVO1: 2012 STREET GLIDE RUBY RED
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2015, 06:18:42 PM »

well pick it up they said it was worn out and the bike was rolls to far forware put all new at a cost of over 200.00$ just don't seem right at 5000 mi  it all look new

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2015, 07:16:53 PM »

Did you mean it allowed the bike to roll forward more than normal? And is 200.00$ equal to $200.00 dollars? Sounds like you got the shaft here, but without a photo who knows.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2015, 07:25:35 PM »

If I'm not mistaken ez brake has a bracket to cure the issue.

Found it. https://www.e-zbrake.com/other.php
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 08:59:53 PM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2015, 09:30:55 PM »

I often wonder if anyone other than me actually takes the jiffy stand apart, cleans and inspects the pivot, lubricates everything with grease, and puts it back together.  It's on the service checklists, but somehow I doubt many dealerships ever do it.  The pivot is pretty wide open, so crap can and does make it's way in where it can cause sticking and wear.  It can also lead to the stand not moving completely to the fully extended position without assistance from your foot, and failure to get it completely extended will lead to the "dropping the bike" issue.

Btw, the tendency may be to just shoot some aerosol lube into the opening instead of actually disassembling everything.  While better than nothing, it's not the best method.

Jerry
Never heard of anyone doing this before. Youtube has a nice video. Thanks for the tip Jerry.

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Major Tom

• Senior CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: Blue n Blue 2015 FLTRUSE - Lucille
    • CVO2: Grey n' Black 2011 FLTRUSE - Bertha (Sold)
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2015, 02:39:46 AM »

Didn't know about the locking tab for years and always parked facing uphill on any slope. Still do it out of habit and I also do not like the roll forward 'feature'

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2015, 10:00:50 AM »

well pick it up they said it was worn out and the bike was rolls to far forware put all new at a cost of over 200.00$ just don't seem right at 5000 mi  it all look new

Did you think it was "worn out" and that it rolled to far forward after you parked it, before you took it in for service? 

As suggested above, I think the dealership probably took you to the cleaners.  If that jiffy stand was worn out at 5k miles then the MoCo should definately have gotten behind it.  On something like this, if you don't know first hand, you should always go to the dealership and have them show you what they're seeing before you flush $200 down the drain.  To often delaerships rely on riders not knowing and not having the knowledge.....kind of like automotive shops do with women customers.  Make them educate you to it before you hand over your $$$.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2015, 08:24:52 AM »

OBB, thanks for the video. I never really thought about taking apart and cleaning like in video and as per Jerry. I would also like to add that it doesn't hurt to carry an extra spring  or at least a variety of bungee cords just in case the spring breaks when you are away from home. I have had a kick stand spring break before, not on my HD, but the bungee cords, or in that particular case a piece of wire did the trick until I got home. CAHDBIKER

Never heard of anyone doing this before. Youtube has a nice video. Thanks for the tip Jerry.

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2015, 06:16:00 PM »

as easy as it is to replace, I would rather carry an extra spring vs a bunch of bungee cords.  though, admittedly, bungee cords could come in handy for something else as well.

the big thing is that people don't read the manual on how to replace it.  they'll try all sorts of tricks, ranging from brake spring tools, to pennies, to vice grips.  personally, I tried the vice grips.  after punching myself in the nose (that hurt like a sumbitch!!!!) I read the manual.  next time I had to replace a spring, I did it the way they said in the manual.  had a buddy hold my bike up for me, and had the old spring off and new one on in less than 5 minutes.  sometimes these hd engineers really do know what they are talking about
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2015, 07:20:07 AM »

I have a 2014 Breakout. If I turn the handlebars to the right the jiffy stand won't hold the bike up. I was polishing the front wheel and had it cocked a little to the right. Stood up, walked back to admire my work, and the bike fell over. Lucky I had a rubber floor mat in my garage. No damage to the bike except the stupid-looking plastic extended license holder broke. Glued it back together. Anyway, if I put the bike on the stand and turn the handlebars to the right I can watch the jiffy stand gradually move back allowing the bike to fall. Does this seem right. My last bike was a wide glide and I could cock the front wheel all the way to the right and shake the bike and it would not fall. But the Wide Glide's jiffy stand is centered on the bike. The Breakout is much more forward and I thought this might be why.
Bill - Greenville, South Carolina

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand & Blaze Orange with Black Abyss Graphics
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
Bassani ProStreet Turnouts
124 HP 133 TQ

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 21 queries.