Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: 2014-2015 Touring recall  (Read 21020 times)

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Crimson - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Hard Candy / Smokey Quartz - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2024 FLTRXSTSE Golden White Pearl
Re: 2014-2015 Touring recall
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2015, 03:35:33 PM »

I have the U nut's and threaded knob's on, no issues with vibration so far. I added lock washers which help keep them where they need to be.

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2015, 04:30:31 PM »

I guess I am going to have to give up on the pin as well. I was thinking a bolt with a thumb nut to make it easy to get on and off. When you used the u-nut Did you have any concern of the vibration allowing it to loosen?

Like East Coast says, a lock washer will help.  I plan on making sure they are still tight when I get in my bags.  If I can turn em by hand ever, I'll go to a lock washer.
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

KY-SESG

• Junior CVO Member
    • KY

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Sold
    • CVO3: 1997 FLSTS Sold; 1991 Sportster Sold
Saddlebag Recall #0166
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2015, 08:17:50 PM »

A recall notifiavction for Touring model saddlebag mounts was waiting for me when I returned from Sturgis today.  I guess there is the potential for the bags to fall off  :oops:  Has anyone had this completed yet?  I am wondering what the fix is.  Please privide pics if that helps demonstrate the resolution.
Fullsac DX headers, Fullsac 2" cores w/ screens, TTS Master Tune, 117ci kit, 58mm TB, 259E Cams, high capacity oil pan, Topline Hylift Johnson b2313se lifters, Saddlemen Dominator solo seat, Yaffe 10" Monkeybars, Yaffe Stealth III plate mount, 10" FreedomShield, lower fairing Boom II speakers, Focal 570 bag speakers...

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2015, 08:46:58 PM »

KY, look at thread from the beginning and earlier recall threads.  Dealers are replacing the spring clips behind the bag as resolution of the recall.  Many of us have gone to Lowes and replaced the spring clip with a 5/16 inch u-nut behind the bag and a 5/16 knob bolt with lock washer inside the bag.  Reuse flat washer inside bag against rubber.  Some go to bolts inside bag but the knob is large enough to get a good torque on it. The u-nut slides over a rear mounting plate with the threaded portion behind plate so it cannot come out without entire bolt coming out.  There are also many online vendors that sell similar packaged systems.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 08:53:27 PM by TNCarters »
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

skycat

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: Silver/Black 2015 Street Glide.
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2015, 06:15:53 PM »

Out today with my HOG group great days ride, fantastic back country roads about 40 bikes, then i heard a loud scraping noise i looked around to see my bag dragging on the ground :'( holding on by the speaker plug  :o. I got the recall about 10 days ago and booked the bike in for next week to do the pins, clips and 1000km/first service. I hope Mr Harley is picking up the tab for the new bag  :nixweiss:. A crap ending to a great day.
Just lucky the bag stayed tethered with the bike as it could have taken out a fellow rider.

Up date, Harley are replacing all the damaged parts at no cost to me. I told them they could keep there crap pin and clip as i now use a new thumb screw system that will never fail, i never want this to happen again as my hart couldn't handle it......lol

At my dealer yesterday to pick up my bike, the service guy showed me a bag full of the new clips, but was told he could not fit them as there was another new update coming  :D what a joke.. guys just through the harley crap in the bin and use the Screw and nut system, on Ebay for $20 bucks fit and forget....
2015 CVO Street Glide, not as good as it should be, Working on that it just needs time, like a good wine.
2010 Buell 1125R, my favorite blaster.
2003 Harley FXDL 100th Anniversary, a little gem.
1975 Suzuki RE5 Rotary 1200km as new.
2012 Suzuki GSX1250FA the perfect Hack. Awesome Bike

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2015, 07:38:00 PM »

At my dealer yesterday to pick up my bike, the service guy showed me a bag full of the new clips, but was told he could not fit them as there was another new update coming  :D what a joke.. guys just through the harley crap in the bin and use the Screw and nut system, on Ebay for $20 bucks fit and forget....

Now you know why some of us don't have much good to say about Harley and it's engineering and quality organizations.  So far they have had three recalls for 2014/2015 bikes for the hydraulic clutch master cylinders, and still have more bikes with problems that weren't on the original recall lists.  Now they can't even handle this simple recall.  I think I would throw in the towel and just go with the U-nuts and bolts, even though it takes more effort to use than the stock design.  Life is too short to wait for Harley to get something right.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

BritGuy

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2015, 08:38:50 PM »

I have had more re-calls on the CVO I purchased in October 2014 than I have had in total over 34 years of vehicle ownership, including the same clutch with two recalls in that period. Dealer waiting for kits and has a bag of old ones he seems to be proud to show people. So waiting for a phone call when they have install kits. The tech asked why I didn't get my regular servicing done within the Harley network, I can't imagine why........

Masterblaster

• Hoka Hey #106
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2015, 06:22:48 AM »

Man, now I gotta check my week old bike for recalls.
2015 CVO Limited

Hoka Hey Finisher 2010

3mcam

• Junior CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTKSE Bronze Armor
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2015, 07:22:45 AM »

I had my right side bag fall off twice. The first time a friend behind me was able to warn me before it dropped to the ground. The second time I was riding alone and it was destroyed. I took it to my dealer and they indicated that it would be tough to warranty but that they would submit the claim and if it was denied they would make other arrangements. After 2 weeks and the dealer going to bat for me the MoCo decided to take a closer look. After another 2 weeks the dealer called and said they had my new bag
that they replaced on their own because the MoCo declined the claim. Three weeks after the replacement my dealer called and said a recall was in process and that they had 3
other bikes come in with the same complaint. 

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

Recall on the Recall
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2015, 02:41:20 PM »

Any news on this? Are dealers replacing the hardware again?
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Recall on the Recall
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2015, 04:53:45 PM »

Noting's been updated on the NHTSA site as of today.  Can't say if Harley has sent some top secret info just to the dealers.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
Re: Recall on the Recall
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2015, 05:17:58 PM »

Jerry, We got the pic earlier that showed different dot patterns on the spring clip.  I'm still running the unut and knob bolt but hopefully MoCo will give us some kind of info to tell if replacement parts were good or not.  I indicated in the other thread I had been issued two dot marked clips about 10 days ago at Bumpus.  Frankly my stock clips/pins were so difficult to get lined up properly re-installing bags the knobs are almost easier and no tools needed.  I had bolted bags on a prior bike for theft protection and hated having to find a wrench every time I wanted to remove bags so happy with knobs for now.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.467 seconds with 20 queries.