Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: 2014-2015 Touring recall  (Read 21108 times)

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
Re: 2014-2015 Touring recall
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2015, 10:53:34 AM »

I got my letter yesterday, but already had the recall done last week, as well as the radio update. I can't tell that anything has changed with the radio update, but the pins in the bags do seem to "click" into place better.
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2015, 07:47:13 PM »

Changed my bags over to U-nuts and knob bolts a couple of weeks ago.  Got my recall letter late last week for the bags.  Dealer was having a anniversary celebration (free lunch) today as well as state tax free weekend on clothes so I decided to go by. Took my old bag spring clips to service department and asked if they would swap them for new and call it good.  They processed it and said you sure you don't want us to put them on?  I told them I'll just hold the parts for another time.

Cant really tell much difference in the replacement clips.  The springs may be a bit bigger and service writer said he thinks the rivets are different.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 07:50:26 PM by TNCarters »
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

skycat

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: Silver/Black 2015 Street Glide.
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2015, 06:49:12 AM »

Out today with my HOG group great days ride, fantastic back country roads about 40 bikes, then i heard a loud scraping noise i looked around to see my bag dragging on the ground :'( holding on by the speaker plug  :o. I got the recall about 10 days ago and booked the bike in for next week to do the pins, clips and 1000km/first service. I hope Mr Harley is picking up the tab for the new bag  :nixweiss:. A crap ending to a great day.
Just lucky the bag stayed tethered with the bike as it could have taken out a fellow rider.

Up date, Harley are replacing all the damaged parts at no cost to me. I told them they could keep there crap pin and clip as i now use a new thumb screw system that will never fail, i never want this to happen again as my hart couldn't handle it......lol
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 06:07:44 PM by skycat »
2015 CVO Street Glide, not as good as it should be, Working on that it just needs time, like a good wine.
2010 Buell 1125R, my favorite blaster.
2003 Harley FXDL 100th Anniversary, a little gem.
1975 Suzuki RE5 Rotary 1200km as new.
2012 Suzuki GSX1250FA the perfect Hack. Awesome Bike

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
  • “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2015, 09:07:57 AM »

So I finally get around to making a service appointment and ask if they  have the parts for the recall...was told that the recall was recalled and they are waiting for the "new" batch of parts.  have read that the "new" batch part number has -A at the end and something about "dots" on the left hand side of the clip?   :nixweiss:
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2015, 10:26:53 AM »

So I finally get around to making a service appointment and ask if they  have the parts for the recall...was told that the recall was recalled and they are waiting for the "new" batch of parts.  have read that the "new" batch part number has -A at the end and something about "dots" on the left hand side of the clip?   :nixweiss:

The new retention clip part number has always had an "A" appended to it from the beginning, so I have no idea what they were trying to say.  The new clip part number is 10900009A, as shown in the service bulletin for the recall (copy attached).  Looking on the NHTSA site doesn't reveal any last minute changes, so I'm not sure what they meant by the recall being recalled.

The change was to the material used for the spring of the retainer, from one type of stainless steel to another.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2015, 10:30:14 AM »

The new retention clip part number has always had an "A" appended to it from the beginning, so I have no idea what they were trying to say.  The new clip part number is 10900009A, as shown in the service bulletin for the recall (copy attached).  Looking on the NHTSA site doesn't reveal any last minute changes, so I'm not sure what they meant by the recall being recalled.

The change was to the material used for the spring of the retainer, from one type of stainless steel to another.

Jerry
The first "recall" parts are junk. They've got yet another "new" part. Hence the recall on the recall.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2015, 10:32:30 AM »

Btw, for anyone interested in some of the things that led up to the recall, read the attached file.  Starting on page 5 you will see what Harley claims they did, what they determined the root causes were, and how they decided that updating the retainer clip would be the silver bullet to solve the problem.  Note that the real problem was due to tolerance stack-ups in other parts that put extra stress on the pin to clip attachment. 

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

East Coast

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Crimson - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Hard Candy / Smokey Quartz - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2024 FLTRXSTSE Golden White Pearl
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2015, 02:13:47 PM »

Quote "Examination of field returns and
laboratory tests indicated that the combination of a misaligned support rail, joint stack-up differences and a
spring wire in the retention system that could yield under increased loads may result in a failure of the
retention system."

Is the support rail checked during the service recall and what exactly does "joint stack-up differences" mean? After reading that it sounds like it may still be an issue as there are other factors which my contribute to the failure?

SGME9

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2015, 08:56:54 PM »

I was told today by dealer that the recall has been recalled and another has been issued. Some of the recall parts are also faulty. So if you needed the recall done you may have it done again.http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/Smileys/CVO/cool.gif

krypto2011

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2015, 09:00:11 PM »

Found a little better explanation about the second recall today.
2011 SESG Krypto/Black Diamond, SE 259e cams, SE 5.3 injectors, HPI 58mm throttle body, heads ported and polished, V&H power duals, CFR mufflers, SE race tuner, SE high flow air filter

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2015, 11:00:18 PM »

This is just PATHETIC! Jesus H. CHRIST, can the MoCo not even design a friggin' mount for a saddlebag that doesn't fall APART anymore? WTF?

HoneyBadger's bags are as tight as a snare drum head... but I DID replace the POS stock mounting pins and holders with the Brukus Saddlebag Secure system about two months after I bought her... No problems!

Good luck to all of you who are having to deal with this HORSECHIT! Any thoughts I ever HAD of trading HoneyBadger for anything newer are GONE! Not that I ever had any to begin with...  8)

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2015, 08:40:45 AM »

Couldn't agree more Ken.  Let's see if I can recap the situation so far:

1>  Harley personnel awake from a long slumber to find they have complaints piling up about saddlebags falling off their latest pride and joy, the Rushed More bikes.

2>  Harley personnel spend nearly a year alternately scratching their heads and their butts trying to figure out what's going on.

3>  Harley finally finds someone to do a root cause analysis, where he finds that the root cause is tolerance stack-up issues that can place undue vertical stress and loads on the pin and retainer, which were never meant to support vertical loads (that's the job of the saddlebag lower support rails).

4>  Fixing the alignment issues would be quite expensive and would vary from bike to bike, since the new style retainer system isn't adjustable like the old system.  Harley searches for a cheap "silver bullet" to get them out of this mess.

5>  Harley decides to change the retainer spring material to a different stainless alloy, in the hope it will make the retainer more forgiving of pin to retainer misalignment and those vertical loads.

6>  After many bikes have the revised parts installed, someone determines that some of the parts used for the recall aren't right.  It will be necessary to "recall the recall". 

7>  No official documentation is provided yet, but some have found information indicating the retainers must be sorted.  Two dots is OK, one dot on the left side is OK, one dot on the right side is NOT OK.  No information at this point as to what is wrong with the ones with the dot on the right side.

Just think what a circle jerk it could have been if they had tried to fix the real root cause.

JMHO - Jerry

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2015, 08:52:23 AM »

Parts picked up at dealer Saturday have two dots but no part number on clip or paperwork.  Guess we will find out eventually if they are the right parts.  I've changed over to u-nuts and bolts at this point so will wait and see.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2015, 11:07:07 AM »

Parts picked up at dealer Saturday have two dots but no part number on clip or paperwork.  Guess we will find out eventually if they are the right parts.  I've changed over to u-nuts and bolts at this point so will wait and see.

Roger that!  I'm going back to my bolts and u-nuts!  And I doubt I'll be putting their "new and improved" system on my bike in the future!
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2015, 03:16:54 PM »

I guess I am going to have to give up on the pin as well. I was thinking a bolt with a thumb nut to make it easy to get on and off. When you used the u-nut Did you have any concern of the vibration allowing it to loosen?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 25 queries.