Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 CVO Road Glide Tire Options- Need Advise  (Read 3534 times)

BDMastiff

• Full CVO Member
2013 CVO Road Glide Tire Options- Need Advise
« on: July 26, 2015, 09:26:36 AM »

I've been told that I my 2013 CVO Road Glide takes a Dunlop 180/55B-18 80H on the rear and a Dunlop 130/60B-19 61H.  Additionally, I've been told that these tires are only available through the Harley dealership.  Do I have any other options?

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
Re: 2013 CVO Road Glide Tire Options- Need Advise
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 12:16:46 PM »

No other options at this time, some other brands will fit, none have the required load rating.
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 12:21:13 PM »

How about we write letters to Michelin to make our size in the new Commander series. I've heard great things about handling/rain/ mileage. Would be nice to have the MOCO's grip on my short & curlies released.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 12:47:58 PM »

Just sent a note to Michelin. I hit send before I could copy...so here's the gist of it.

Stated sizes......mentioned low mileage and the propensity to cup of the Dunlops....as well as the fact that the RG, RK, and SG CVO all take the same sizes.....that I know a couple Ultra riders with Commander IIs that are impressed

FXD_TG

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 05:54:05 PM »

I've been able to minimize the cupping on our Dunlops by running the air pressure at 45 psi in the rear.  They're still cupped at 8,500 miles but not intolerable the way the original rear tire was at 7,500 miles.  I would really like to have an alternative that has something close to the load rating of the Dunlop 180/55B-18 80H, even if it was in the longer-wearing Dunlop.

Of course, that said, 5,000 miles on a sport bike tire is nearly impossible so getting 50% more mileage on the RK's rear tire still has me dancing.

mark

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 01:57:52 PM »

Order the Dunlops from a 20% off dealer like Surdyke and have them mounted where you live, if you're interested in saving a little money.

donvito

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 11:53:08 AM »

FWIW, I just saw a post somewhere recently that someone wrote to Dunlop regarding American Elites for our CVO's. They replied they should be released in late 15, early 16. This looks like the first alternative tire for these CVO's. Theyve worked well on other models, we shall see. :vrolijk_11:

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 02:34:49 PM »

I just saw your post and a one thing bothered me, you say "I've Been told my size is", Hopefully this was a play on words and you either looked at your own tire, which I assume you have as you are not satisfied with it or you looked in your manual and what is it you are not satisfied with? My SERG had the same tire and I got great mileage from them and would use nothing else, but then I am a Dunlop fan (a Goodyear Sub), not a Michelin fan, I never saw a car going down a dragstrip on a Michelin or Metzler and if the company doesn't support my interests, I don't support them.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 02:44:36 PM »

Cupping and howling.....and the price! My short and curlies getting let go of will be a pleasure!

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2015, 08:56:23 PM »

I get frustrated the same as everyone else that we have zero options as far as tires go but I will say that I ride with a buddy that does not ride a CVO but a Dyna. Around a month ago he put on the Commander 2's on his bike and is very disappointed with their performance. According to him they are not as "sticky" as the Dunlops and he is a very good and aggressive rider. He uses his bike as everyday transportation and to get on the freeway has to do one of those 360 onramps. he said he gets very squirmy on the commanders as opposed to the stock Dunlops. Made me feel a little better at least (probably sour grapes) that I couldn't get them even if I wanted to.
Alan

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 20 queries.