Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: IS H.O.G. worth it""  (Read 11268 times)

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
IS H.O.G. worth it""
« on: October 12, 2015, 09:56:11 AM »

The Death of H.O.G. ??

Last Friday (10/9/15) our regular group rode to, Six Bends Harley Davidson of Fort Meyers, Florida.  Wednesday thru Saturday was billed as the “Roar to the Shore” as the State H.O.G. Annual Rally.  The weather was perfect, sunny, high 80’s, no rain predicted.  It is a short run for us, only about an hour, traffic was light, too light.  We pulled in to Scott Fisher’s new, beautiful dealership at 11:30 a.m.  truly the nicest dealership I’ve ever been in (except for Destination Daytona).  The first thing we noticed that we were flagged right into the motorcycle parking area where there was only about 70-90 bikes. The vendor tents were empty except for employees.  Drag Specialties-empty; Audio Components-empty; t-shirt guys-empty; food vendors-empty.

The dealership inside and outside was full of new and used bikes, circulating among them were salesmen, talking to each other.  We walked inside and saw a sign that said “H.O.G. Registration” upstairs.  We are all members so we walked up the flight and approached a long desk of four people.  Past them was a large meeting room with more people and stacks of 8X10 manila envelopes presumably containing a “package” of goodies including, discount coupons, passes to the weekend “concerts”, a shirt, locations of “tours” and an “event” pin.  They handed us a clipboard with two forms, personal information was required and $40.00.
We explained, “we are already members”, “If you want the H.O.G. package, fill out the forms and pay forty dollars” they explained, and added “This isn’t a PIN STOP boys”.  Since our youngest is 60 we were aware of the slight.  It was clear if we weren’t going to pay we were wasting our time.  As we left a woman came out of the meeting room and said “you can buy an event pin for $6.50”, we declined.

We went downstairs and mingled among the bikes, staff, and other owners.  We bumped into some guys we knew and discussed the “treatment” of H.O.G. members, generally everybody was pretty disappointed. Everything can’t be “free”, we all agreed, but there wasn’t even special parking for H.O.G. members, even though (at that time) unnecessary.   

I’m tired of Harley Davidson’s predatory financial policies and I'm not alone.  I’m tired of inflated pricing on EVERYTHING including parts, clothes, boots, supplies, and membership fees. I'm tired of being told my H.O.G. card does not qualify for a discount at local dealers.  I’m tired of buying a Custom Vehicle and having to do preventative maintenance (e.g. lifters) which should have been a factory recall.  I’m tired of being a twenty year member of H.O.G. and attending an event for Members and being treated like I just showed up to join.  Why can’t they look me up on the computer and give me a $.25 cent pin and thank me for my loyalty.   My H.O.G. benefits are a patch, a pin, a quarterly magazine/sales brochure and a phone number to call that hooks you up for towing if you can wait for 2-3 hours. 

I doubt that this rally was a success for H.O.G. or Scott Fisher, perhaps well organized, but (from what we saw) poorly attended.  The dealership did their best to sponsor this event; even so, the treatment left us all questioning heading to Six Bends Harley again, that and H.O.G. will have nine fewer members next year.

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Re: IS H.O.G. worth it""
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 10:08:13 AM »

You need to turn yer HOG cut in sir, you dare to question the hierarchy.  :drink:

Or drink more kook aid........ :drink: :drink:

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 10:21:31 AM »

Never been to a state H.O.G. Rally that did not require a registration fee if you wanted to partake in all that was offered like vendors, organized rides, bike shows, demonstrations, music concerts, etc., etc., so I'm unsure why you thought all the above should be offered at no charge.  I have attended several state H.O.G. rallies and not registered as all I really wanted to do was hang out with folks there that I knew and ride the area.  The music, etc., wasn't all that important and I understood that if I did not pay the registration fee I would not be admitted to those events.

But as far as the death of H.O.G. is concerned I think you are correct in that it seems to be on a swift downward trajectory which is a shame imo as I have enjoyed being a part of it for many years and am a life member.  The new management team at the moco doesn't seem to understand the motorcycling mentality or what H.O.G. did for the moco back when it was formed in the 80s so they are not supporting it with $$ and personnel like before and the value has suffered.

H.O.G. used to be a separate entity unto itself with its own budget and personnel.  Several years ago it was blended into the moco marketing department and now is just one piece of a big puzzle.  They are concentrating more on outreach trying to bring new and younger riders into the fold and putting their efforts into the big rallies (Sturgis, Daytona, BB&Q, etc.) from what I understand.

Darn shame but nothing stays the same forever I guess.  As the old guard that was the nucleus of H.O.G. at the moco has retired and departed the new folks think they can do better.  Guess we'll see.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 10:25:18 AM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

ultrarider123

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 10:37:42 AM »

I've been a national HOG member off and on since 1991.  I should have paid the $200 in 1991 for the lifetime membership 'cause it's ain't that cheap any more.  Anyway, I've attended a few state rallies over the years....paid a couple of times and just lingered a couple others.  The cost wasn't out of line for what was offered for each rally.  My choice to pay/participate or not.  I wouldn't expect concerts and "extras" to be free whether I was a member or not.  A discount for being a member to participate would be fine with me.

I don't belong to a local HOG chapter although there are some great local chapters in both the Knoxville and Maryville areas.  They are both very active in rides and such and while it's a great time for some, it's just not my cup of tea.  I have attended some local meetings over the years but I was in a home owners association for a short time and it reminded me so much of that experience that I didn't want to join.

I agree that the HOG I grew up with is not and looks a bit different than the HOG of today.  Change isn't always a bad thing.  I'm still a member and I'll continue to be one....I enjoy the magazine and the yearly road atlas.  I carry that with me on all trips.  I know, I have navigation now on the SERG but I'm still a map guy....no batteries or electronic glitches to worry about reading a map. 

Is H.O.G. worth it?  Considering the annual renewal fee and items I mentioned above, for me yes.  I get what I need out of it.

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 11:48:05 AM »

Hey TN, I know I'm livin' on the edge.  Isn't there someone's signature here that say's "Question Authority"? I like that.

Guys, I did say we didn't expect EVERYTHING to be free, just thought we have earned a little respect, for several reasons.  The "pay up BOY's" was uncalled for, Danny almost dropped the gloves.

I understand and accept the other points of view presented. However, I still have a burr on my saddle.

OWL

1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 11:59:56 AM »

That "pay up boys" came from some local volunteer.  An unpaid local person to sign up rally attendants.  You got your feewings hurted, ok.  But the liklihood that comment came from national HOG is slim... 

Have been to several state rallies.  Always a registration fee. $35-40 or so. There was a fee the last time the state rally was in Ft. Meyers.  Think it was 2006 & we went mostly to see the band Outlaws.  Rally attendance was so-so, concert was pitifully attended since it started at 5:30 pm.  Have a few friends who went to this year's rally in Ft. M have not had a chance to talk to them yet.  As to the HOG state rallies in general it depends on what you are looking for as to whether it is worth it.  If you expect big vendor layouts, wall to wall bikes, & non stop entertainment you are better off riding to a big rally, not a state HOG rally.  At HOG Florida state rallies there are always a few vendors, usually a band you MIGHT have heard of (there have been good exceptions), usually depends on the location for attendance.  Varies by state & by budget.  More sponsorships = more $$ = better stuff at the rally.

As to HOG, am a Lifetime member.  I get a map, a pin, some other junk, & a card.  The magazine is nothing like what it used to be.  There used to be 2 magazines.  The 110th for us was so-so as compared to the 105th.  Seems HOG is on a downward trajectory.  Marketing is easy to cut or change since the benefits are delayed. HOG is a marketing effort by the MoCo.  Not sure if it is a profit center.  HD may be putting more marketing $$s in advertisements - tv, etc.  Does not appear they are putting more towards HOG.

If a state rally is in a good location, with good riding roads, we might consider it.  Also can go without paying, just don't get the vendor access or the concerts or the whatever else.  Is HOG going away?  Probably not.  You get a free membership when you buy a new bike (Lifetimes get the $$ equivalent to that year's fee).  That alone feeds the kitty for new members ongoing.

From another perspective, for a rider who is new to riding, without a current riding group of friends, who would like to ride in a group, the HOG clubs offer that.  We tend to forget that once upon a time we were all new riders.  HOG is one method of meeting other riders with similar interests. There are many others which work just as well.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 12:02:52 PM by iski »
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 12:09:09 PM »

iski,

Ever had a teenage daughter.  I found out there are about a hundred ways to say "fine".  50% of them I considered unacceptable. 

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 12:15:52 PM »

I dropped H.O.G. membership for years and this year I re-upped solely to attend the Texas State rally in Tyler with friends. I got the t-shirt, etc. I really couldn't have been more disappointed. First, I don't know what I was expecting, but this wasn't it. When I heard about the venue selected, I thought "there's a big parking lot, but I don't think it's big enough for a State Rally" but it turned out that is was waaaayyy more room than needed. I've had no success in finding attendance records or stats year to year, but I'm certain that this had to be among the lowest in turnout. Not many vendors, lookers, bikes. Where were the "big name" vendors? The biggest name and display there was Motor Trike...whose HQ is only twenty miles away.  To be fair, I didn't stay all day to see what or who might've eventually showed up, so maybe I just 'missed it', but you can bet I wasn't impressed. The size, scope and activities left me feeling like I had wasted my time (and money). I don't know if it's H.O.G. or just the relative decline in the whole of motorcycling.

Edit to add: Paying the registration "allows vendor area access", but it wasn't really roped off, and no one was actually 'checking' so the feeling of 'perceived value' was lost there as well.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 12:28:28 PM by MrSurly »
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 12:18:51 PM »

iski,

Ever had a teenage daughter.  I found out there are about a hundred ways to say "fine".  50% of them I considered unacceptable.

She's in her 30s now Owl & I have 3 grandkids.  That she lived to be a non teenager is a testimony to my selective semi deafness when it comes to words like fine from her & her brother as  teenagers.

Wife & I volunteered at a few HOG state rallies a few years ago, security, registration desk, etc. 99% fun, enjoyed meeting folks from all over. Perhaps the "antics" of some of those who were not registered yet wished to be given entry & a pin & the goody bags and all anyway has clouded my otherwise questionable judgement, on a good day. At that point the $0 per hour we were earning did not appear to be worth it. Such is life.

8)

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 12:21:13 PM »

On the way home from a 10 day trip, in Victoria my Wife's new FLD with 26ookm started acting up...then died. We hadn't received the HOG package before we left....so we called Barnes HD in Langford.....the recording said they were closed (Monday) and gave a # to call for emergency towing. We called.....tow truck came and said it would be free because of HOG. A week later we go to p/u bike and there is a $125 charge for towing on the bill.. HOGs only going to cover $100 of the $125. Had to fight to get that reimbursed. I had to ask how I go about cancelling the free membership before they would send me the 'reimbursement package' in the mail....couldn't be e-mailed for some reason.
We live 150 km from the closest (without a ferry) dealer and most of the events.
We have BCAA with the motorcycle endorsement instead.....should have used it instead!
In all our travels the only dealer that has honored the HOG discount on a t-shirt was in Setubal Portugal.

So.....NO!

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 12:50:06 PM »

She's in her 30s now Owl & I have 3 grandkids.  That she lived to be a non teenager is a testimony to my selective semi deafness when it comes to words like fine from her & her brother as  teenagers.

LOL iski, you made my day.

OWL

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 01:27:07 PM »

HOG is what you make it, state rallies are all volunteer functions and as such they are only going to be as good as what time and efforts those volunteers are able put toward them.
I'm sure that because you were so disappointed by what you got when you arrived, you obviously feel like you could do better than they did. Since you and your buddies already are national members why not join your local chapter and VOLUNTEER to do the rally and show everyone how it should be done.

I'm in Louisiana and I guarantee if you go on and lead your group of VOLUNTEERS for your state rally I'll be there to see your face when I tell you how disappointed I am with your efforts.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 01:27:38 PM »

LOL iski, you made my day.

OWL

You made mine too, Owl. 

The ribs I started about 10:45 that will be finished from the smoker about 5 maybe helped.   ;D

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 01:37:16 PM »

Meant to include this in an earlier post - the reason we did not attend this 2015 Ft. Meyers Florida State HOG rally was the experience we had at the previous Ft. Meyers rally, in 2006.  Subsequent state rallys in other locations were ok or not so ok.  It is the efforts of the volunteers and the sponsors that make a rally what it is.  HOG national does assist, but they do not have the personnel to staff the state rallys other than from an overseer standpoint.

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 01:47:45 PM »

It's hard to complain about an all volunteer event funded by participants; just sayin.  ::)
Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 21 queries.