Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: What the hell happened?  (Read 9054 times)

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout
Re: What the hell happened?
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2016, 06:48:32 AM »

I got mine new at below MSRP out the door including tax and tags ($300 maximum tax in SC). We negotiated. Then I proceeded to put another $7,000 into the bike. No regrets. CVOs hold their value better than non-CVO Harleys. I've seen older CVOs go for astronomical prices (IMO) at my dealer. This is a great site with tons of valuable information from knowledgeable members, but the constant Harley bashing from the same few gets old. If Harley-Davidson wasn't getting a decent number of buyers for their high priced bikes they'd lower the prices. Value for any product is what the customer is willing to pay.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 08:09:46 AM by RoadDawg »
Bill - Greenville, South Carolina

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand & Blaze Orange with Black Abyss Graphics
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
Bassani ProStreet Turnouts
124 HP 133 TQ

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2016, 08:01:17 AM »

You want to talk about value drop, look into a BMW GTL

Allowed me to grab my '14 GT for 33% off original MSRP.

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2016, 04:04:35 PM »

I would like to know given the current conversation about profit at the dealers and how they jack everything up, how much profit/markup there is from the MotoCo to the Dealers? So if the dealers true cost is $XXXXXX how much does the Company make?

BigLew

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2016, 08:13:46 PM »

I got mine new at below MSRP out the door including tax and tags ($300 maximum tax in SC). We negotiated. Then I proceeded to put another $7,000 into the bike. No regrets. CVOs hold their value better than non-CVO Harleys. I've seen older CVOs go for astronomical prices (IMO) at my dealer. This is a great site with tons of valuable information from knowledgeable members, but the constant Harley bashing from the same few gets old. If Harley-Davidson wasn't getting a decent number of buyers for their high priced bikes they'd lower the prices. Value for any product is what the customer is willing to pay.
:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
Whole heartedly agree!

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2016, 08:57:31 PM »

I would like to know given the current conversation about profit at the dealers and how they jack everything up, how much profit/markup there is from the MotoCo to the Dealers? So if the dealers true cost is $XXXXXX how much does the Company make?

BigLew

I've read 20% on CVO. So clear $8k on $40k bike plus any extra charges.

262 CVO 16

• Full CVO Member
  • MOLON LABE
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 Carbon Crystal
    • CVO2: 2015 Jeep Willys JK on 35s
    • CVO3: 2014 Black Denim SG (Sold)
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2016, 09:08:38 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:

I have...  :2vrolijk_21:

One way for a company to increase profitability is to improve quality and service to the customer, and increase sales and market share (increase volume) because of the improved value to the customer.  Another way for a company to increase profitability is to lower manufacturing and purchasing costs (sometimes in a manner that decreases the value of the product to the customer) while at the same time increasing the price of the product to the customer - resulting in lower volume with higher pricing.  The goal of every company had better be to make money.  How each company chooses to make money determines the continued long term viability of the company.  The business landscape is littered with examples of once strong companies that died or were overtaken by rivals because their product no longer provided value to customers.  Customers by in large do not know or care what the profit margin is for any company, as long as the product they purchase is what they perceive as value for their money.  That is true no matter the business...
2016 CVO Street Glide
Carbon Crystal w/ Phantom Flames
Matching Tourpack
Day Maker Spots
CD LED Blinkers
16" Apes
Yaffe Plate

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2016, 09:23:52 PM »

If Harley-Davidson wasn't getting a decent number of buyers for their high priced bikes they'd lower the prices.
Another approach would be to make fewer of them.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2016, 11:25:47 PM »

Allowed me to grab my '14 GT for 33% off original MSRP.
Perfect!
Alan

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2016, 09:08:59 AM »

I believe the dealers make most of their income on the clothes, parts, accessories and service.  The bikes are simply to get you in the door.  They make far more selling t-shirts than they do bikes.  Look at how much floor space is dedicated to the other items at the new dealerships, that is where the money is located.   

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2016, 10:04:18 AM »

I believe the dealers make most of their income on the clothes, parts, accessories and service.  The bikes are simply to get you in the door.  They make far more selling t-shirts than they do bikes.  Look at how much floor space is dedicated to the other items at the new dealerships, that is where the money is located.   
X2. But don't forget financing and licensing rights sold
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2016, 01:17:19 PM »

At $40 for a tee shirt I can see why!

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2016, 03:46:40 PM »

I would agree that Motor Clothes and T-Shirts are a definite profit center, as are Parts, and Bike Sales, especially in volume.  But as for the highest percentages of margin on COGS, the Shop always leads the pack.  Industry standard reports a 70% margin, at full Door-Rate, with Techs being assigned to a job 85% of the time, and billing 82.5% of the time they are assigned to that particular job.  Perfect world would be better than that, but that only happens in budgets.  Lol.  There endeth the lesson.  8) Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2016, 06:50:33 PM »

We look only at the Harley world here, but look a little wider. Go price a new truck, hell for that matter a used one. I bet every one of us here can remember a time when $3500 would buy you a hell of a nice, jump in it and take a trip, pick up. That buys a rust bucket now and if you want anything that could ever leave the farm it's going to be $10,000. Labor at a Harley shop is what now days? $80 $90 an hour? Bet if your car makes a trip to the dealership for repairs you will pay right around that rate also?? Guess the big differences is I  can't remember going into the car dealerships to buy a Tee Shirt but sure remember at time where I could make a trip without coming home without a bag full of Harley shirt for along the Rt and I have got so fat I cant wear 3/4 of them.....lol
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2016, 06:55:30 PM »

As bad a I hate to say it....and I know I will catch crap over it, but the video that was posted in the joke section explains a whole lot as to why prices on HD is where they are IMO
Most great stores start with a bad decision

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2016, 07:34:58 PM »

We look only at the Harley world here, but look a little wider. Go price a new truck, hell for that matter a used one. I bet every one of us here can remember a time when $3500 would buy you a hell of a nice, jump in it and take a trip, pick up. That buys a rust bucket now and if you want anything that could ever leave the farm it's going to be $10,000. Labor at a Harley shop is what now days? $80 $90 an hour? Bet if your car makes a trip to the dealership for repairs you will pay right around that rate also?? Guess the big differences is I  can't remember going into the car dealerships to buy a Tee Shirt but sure remember at time where I could make a trip without coming home without a bag full of Harley shirt for along the Rt and I have got so fat I cant wear 3/4 of them.....lol

Hehehe.  I can sure relate to that!   8)  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.