Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Ever changed your tank emblem/badge out for a different one? Here's how...  (Read 25347 times)

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography

OK, this thread is likely to get a lot of negative chatter and opinions, but do try to be nice!

In my opinion, CVO tank badges/emblems ought to be the very best and the coolest ones that Harley can design.   That being said, I think they failed in that mission with the '15 RGU's tank emblems. 
Sure, they look cool up close with the holographic colors, but they are so darn tiny and lackluster otherwise.  I mean, a badge that's like 10" long by 1/2" tall just doesn't scream out CVO like it ought to.

So...has anybody out there swapped out emblems (not the decals, but the metal adhesive backed ones).  I assume you'd empty the tank of gas and maybe vent the tank at the fuel door, then take a heat gun to the existing metal emblems to remove them...carefully of course.

I love the look of the '12 CVO Street Glide badge with the screaming eagle on it.  Now that's a badge that screams power and presence.  I know at least one of you who did that to their '11 RGU and I think it looks awesome.

Anyway, now that I've opened myself up to this sacrilegious, blasphemous talk, what say ye?

ADDITION:  KEEP READING MY LATER POSTS BELOW FOR THE HOW-TO STEPS...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 07:01:50 PM by RGlideKid »
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

You mean perhaps something truly representing what the new bikes stand for?  Something like, say, Super Chicken (hitchhiking after a lifter failure)!!  :huepfenlol2:

Major Tom

• Senior CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: Blue n Blue 2015 FLTRUSE - Lucille
    • CVO2: Grey n' Black 2011 FLTRUSE - Bertha (Sold)

Kid,

Changed stuck on tank badges on my mates bike using a heat gun no worries. Trick is to use bigger badges. I would ask someone like Joe Zett who paints tanks as he would be doing that stuff all the time and would have it down to a fine art.

Cheers Tom

LV76

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLTRUSE traded in
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE traded in
    • CVO3: 16 FLTRUSE

I have replaced badges on my previous 2011, 15 and my current 2016 CVO, installed the eagle head badges from the 2010 CVO street glide on all three bikes, I think they are still the best looking tank badges for the CVO.

SSTuner

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Pro Street Breakout

I also replace my "Harley Davidson" script on my 2012 Street Glide with on of the round CVO ones.  Removed them upon trade in and stuck on the Oem ones.
Ray
2016 CVO Pro Street Breakout
Starfire Black

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue

Did that to my '11. Haven't done it on my '15,,, yet.

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

You mean perhaps something truly representing what the new bikes stand for?  Something like, say, Super Chicken (hitchhiking after a lifter failure)!!  :huepfenlol2:

Now THAT's a truly awesome emblem, Don!   :P    Would that work for a compensator failure also?
Did that to my '11. Haven't done it on my '15,,, yet.

I knew that's where I saw the '11 with the '12's badge, Mike!  I think it's an awesome look.  I too, had the gray/black '11 RGU.  That new eagle badge would have made a great addition to that bike while I had it.

I have replaced badges on my previous 2011, 15 and my current 2016 CVO, installed the eagle head badges from the 2010 CVO street glide on all three bikes, I think they are still the best looking tank badges for the CVO.

Hey, LV76...The '10 is an awesome badges, but they're painted on, and I was looking for something that I could revert back to the original badge (or a different one) if I ever needed to.  Plus I was looking for chrome.  The '12's badge is a miniature chrome version of the '10's decal/painted emblem, so we're kinda thinking along the same lines.
Harry
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

I personally prefer the screen printed versions they used to use on some of the bikes.  In other words, under the clearcoat.  Makes for a nice smooth surface when you wash and wax, no problems with one end coming loose like with so many of the stick-on emblems, and the only downside is losing the "emblem" if you have to have the tank repainted for any reason.  I had a black Dyna back in '99 that had this setup and IMHO it looked much better than any of the tanks with emblems on them.

As for changing your current emblems to something you like better, it won't be a problem if you plan ahead and mark the location with painters tape or something similar before removing the old one.  Makes it much easier to align the new ones, since you don't have a fixture to locate them like they do in production. 

Jerry
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 02:16:51 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

LV76

• Full CVO Member

Harry, my apologies it was the 2011 CVO street glide that they first came out on, Medallion left side #62781-11
Medallion right side #62780-11.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

Harry, my apologies it was the 2011 CVO street glide that they first came out on, Medallion left side #62781-11
Medallion right side #62780-11.
Those are the numbers I have bookmarked but can't access them from my phone.

Ignore the idiots on fleabay and buy them from a discount dealer.

LV76

• Full CVO Member

Re: Have you ever changed your tank emblem (badge) out for a different one?
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 03:04:34 PM »

That's for sure, a discount dealer charge +/-$75.00 per each side, ebay $200.00+

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 03:28:55 PM »

Harry, that's the same badge I had my eye on as well.  My original left side badge fell off a few months after getting the bike and dealer replaced it under warranty.  I said then if another comes off their getting changed out even if I have to pay for it. The eagle head badge is controlled by some dealers who will not order it unless it came on your bike.  I doubt that's the case for all.  I tried to price it at two local dealers locally where I get a discount and they would not order it.  Could have just been a parts guy having a bad day.  Personally I feel if I buy a CVO bike from a dealer he should be willing to order anything I want from HD if I'm paying.

I did not mention the original badge is actually a cheap two piece unit with thin sheet metal on the outside which is glued to a filler plastic which is glued to the tank.  Mine separated between the sheet metal and filler plastic.  I think it was already loose and my jeans seam hung it and finished taking it off.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 03:33:14 PM by TNCarters »
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 06:01:30 PM »

Gentlemen, the cheapest on ebay for the set is about $235, if you can believe that crap.  Usually HD parts are cheaper on ebay, but not in this case!

I just ordered the set from Boardtracker Harley out of Janesville, Wisconsin for $132.85 delivered.  This was the lowest price I could find at a dealer.  They did not refuse to sell them to be because I don't own a SESG.

This set consists of one of each p/n 62781-11 and 62780-11, the left and right side tank emblems for a 2012 CVO Street Glide, and must be ordered as two separate parts.

Saved myself over $100 in that one order alone.  Thanks for everyone's help!  You guys are top notch!

« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 06:10:06 PM by RGlideKid »
Harry

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 08:11:26 PM »

Gentlemen, the cheapest on ebay for the set is about $235, if you can believe that crap.  Usually HD parts are cheaper on ebay, but not in this case!

I just ordered the set from Boardtracker Harley out of Janesville, Wisconsin for $132.85 delivered.  This was the lowest price I could find at a dealer.  They did not refuse to sell them to be because I don't own a SESG.

This set consists of one of each p/n 62781-11 and 62780-11, the left and right side tank emblems for a 2012 CVO Street Glide, and must be ordered as two separate parts.

Saved myself over $100 in that one order alone.  Thanks for everyone's help!  You guys are top notch!

Good deal on the savings. Means you buy the first round next year at the MITM   :D

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 09:32:28 PM »

Look me up, Mike.  Be happy to!
Harry

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 24 queries.