Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Bought a 2016 Street glide CVO and I need some suggestions for comfort.  (Read 4882 times)

karbase@aol.com

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

I bought a 2016 CVO street glide and I am 6'2.  I had a road glide and at least it felt like I had a lot more room.  Of course I had the road glide for awhile and changed a lot on the bike (bars etc) When I did my test ride it seemed fine and figured I could make some changes but after a long ride the other day I felt cramped.   I cannot remove the lowers as it has the radiators so I cannot move foot controls forward.   I want to see what else I can do first to make it more comfortable before  I do any work to it like pipes etc...  in case I have to get something else. Suggestions?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8

After market seat like Corbin will move you back a bit.  HD makes a seat for tall people but I think it raises you up further.  :nixweiss:

You can put the EZ Brake brake pedal on.....I have it on with my lowers (but I don't have the radiators).  I'm 6'4" (but I think I've lost an inch) and I was comfortable doing 2,500 miles in two and a half days with the stock Ultra Classic position and seat.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member

LePera daddy long leg seats set you further back...then maybe some 10" or 12" apes would be my suggestions!

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

I have a problem with knee & hip pain and thought the SG was a little cramped also.  I put some highway peg on, that I really like.   I leave the ball of my foot on the hwypeg and rest my heal on the front part of the floorboard.   I use my right heal to brake and move my left  foot on to the board only when I up shift. I down shift with my left heal.    This arrangement might take a few miles to get used to but it made the difference of riding my SG or looking for something else.  On the handle bars you have several options, the stock ones worked for me.   Lastly you can spring for a seat that moves you father back and possible up a bit higher.  I am a big Corbin seat fan.  This in the first bike in the last 6, I have not purchased a Corbin seat.  Every other bike I have had, caused,  major tailbone pain. Each time I replaced the seat with one from Corbin and the pain went away.   Corbins seats are on the very firm side.  If you like plush it is not for you.
The pegs are by far the cheapest and most beneficial change you can make.   I had a friend who was always complaining about knee pain and I tried to talking him in to my method several years ago but he is quite stubborn and  did not want to try shifting and braking using a different method.  About a year more of pain and frustration he was ready to look at a Yamaha that had a bit more legroom.   I said it would be cheaper to give my method a try first, and this time he listened.   It took him about 2 weeks but he called me up and said that he owed me a good bottle of scotch because he  was not having the hip and knee pain anymore, and it  saved him a ton of money. 
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

PapaLeo67

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

I agree with the highway pegs for your toes... But also look at getting some floorboard extenders. I have them on my Road King, and it was the biggest comfort mod ever. I cant even ride a touring Harley without them.

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

Be careful with floorboard extenders.  I looked into them years ago but heard stories of people going down due to grounding  the extenders, so I did not go that way.  Since I decided not to go that way I have heard many more accounts of them causing crashes.
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint

Here is how I would set up a new one:

HD Highway Pegs
HD Matching Passenger Boards
Clearwater Erica Running Lights
Yaffee 12" Bars
Corbin Classic Solo Seat with Pillion
Freedom Shield
Traxion AK-20's Fork Suspension
Ohlins 159 HD Rear Suspension
Fullsac DX Headpipe
Kuryakyn Crusher Mellow's
Kuryakyn, GMR or Tman Cam
TTS Mastertuner
Amp and Speaker Upgrade
Yaffee License Plate Bracket

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6

I have a problem with knee & hip pain and thought the SG was a little cramped also.  I put some highway peg on, that I really like.   I leave the ball of my foot on the hwypeg and rest my heal on the front part of the floorboard.   I use my right heal to brake and move my left  foot on to the board only when I up shift. I down shift with my left heal.    This arrangement might take a few miles to get used to but it made the difference of riding my SG or looking for something else.  On the handle bars you have several options, the stock ones worked for me.   Lastly you can spring for a seat that moves you father back and possible up a bit higher.  I am a big Corbin seat fan.  This in the first bike in the last 6, I have not purchased a Corbin seat.  Every other bike I have had, caused,  major tailbone pain. Each time I replaced the seat with one from Corbin and the pain went away.   Corbins seats are on the very firm side.  If you like plush it is not for you.
The pegs are by far the cheapest and most beneficial change you can make.   I had a friend who was always complaining about knee pain and I tried to talking him in to my method several years ago but he is quite stubborn and  did not want to try shifting and braking using a different method.  About a year more of pain and frustration he was ready to look at a Yamaha that had a bit more legroom.   I said it would be cheaper to give my method a try first, and this time he listened.   It took him about 2 weeks but he called me up and said that he owed me a good bottle of scotch because he  was not having the hip and knee pain anymore, and it  saved him a ton of money.
what hwy pegs did you use??

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8

Be careful with floorboard extenders.  I looked into them years ago but heard stories of people going down due to grounding  the extenders, so I did not go that way.  Since I decided not to go that way I have heard many more accounts of them causing crashes.

I was following behind a member of this forum that had those floorboard extenders on his CVO Ultra Classic that wasn't even a year old when he leaned over just a bit to far (partially due to those floor board extenders).....   http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=63955.msg897355#msg897355
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

what hwy pegs did you use??

I could not find these exact one in my 2015 catalog, they may be a special CVO model only.  I got them several years ago and do not have the part number.  I will post several images of the pegs and the difference in knee and hip flex.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 09:09:08 PM by Royalroadie »
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

Re: Bought a 2016 Street glide CVO and I need some suggestions for comfort.
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 09:03:20 PM »

Different view
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 09:04:22 PM »

Knee and hip flex on floorboard.  20 miles = major knee and hip pain!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 09:07:42 PM by Royalroadie »
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 09:05:24 PM »

Heel on floorboard and ball or toes on peg.  Aahhhhhh!
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

rsike

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 10:23:19 PM »

Don't buy a corbine seat. My $1,500 seat will not fit and they will do nothing about it. I've used them on other bikes and no problem but when they make a mistake they will not fix it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

karbase@aol.com

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 10:24:24 AM »

Heel on floorboard and ball or toes on peg.  Aahhhhhh!

Thank you for showing with the pictures as that is great.  I always wanted a CVO and thought I would switch from the road glide to the Street Glide as I loved the color of my new bike.  So I finally saved for one. Than after riding it all day Sunday I was wondering if I made a mistake and would be trading it back in.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 20 queries.