Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All

Author Topic: US goverment sues HD for screaming eagle tuners  (Read 26608 times)

Cajun851

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE8
Re: US goverment sues HD for screaming eagle tuners
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2016, 08:40:22 AM »

Folks, here is the actual terms of the 'settlement' from the EPA's own website.

https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/harley-davidson-clean-air-act-settlement

This part is interesting...

Injunctive Relief
Under the settlement, Harley-Davidson will immediately stop selling the tuners, buy back all of the tuners in stock at their dealerships and destroy the tuners. The company has also agreed to obtain certification from the California Air Resources Board for any tuners it sells in the future. These certifications will demonstrate that new tuners do not cause their motorcycles to exceed their certified emissions limits. Harley-Davidson will also conduct tests on tuner-equipped motorcycles and provide the results to EPA to guarantee that their motorcycles remain in compliance with EPA certification requirements for emissions.
Harley-Davidson will also ensure that all of its future motorcycle models intended for sale in the United States are fully certified by EPA.

Well, I'm guessing from the injunctive relief they are NOT buying back tuners from customers. CRAP!!! I could have used some pocket change.  ;D ;D

RAINEY

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• Apex Oil lab
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2016, 08:42:29 AM »

There will always be race tuners and tuners available.  I seems that the big deal is that H-D being the manufacturer making vehicles that meet the requirements and then knowingly selling tuners and marketing them to alter street used motorcycles.  They only way to crack down on the end user is to have a required emissions test like some states have foe cars and trucks.

My nickels worth
Jason
2015 CVO Limited

Cajun851

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2016, 08:49:57 AM »

...and check this out!!

Civil Penalty
Harley-Davidson will also pay a $12 million civil penalty and spend about $3 million to fund a project to replace conventional woodstoves with cleaner-burning stoves in communities with extensive woodstove use.

What a joke!!! Really??? Fund a project to replace conventional woodstoves???  :( :(

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2016, 08:57:14 AM »

...and check this out!!

Civil Penalty
Harley-Davidson will also pay a $12 million civil penalty and spend about $3 million to fund a project to replace conventional woodstoves with cleaner-burning stoves in communities with extensive woodstove use.

What a joke!!! Really??? Fund a project to replace conventional woodstoves???  :( :(
I guess the EPA is going to have to give the Amish an exemption??

Ever since cali started cracking down a few years back, I was wondering when this  $hit was going to hit the fan??
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2016, 08:58:12 AM »

So how long until someone finds a hack to make the Street Tuner have the same capabilities as the Pro Tuner?
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2016, 09:00:22 AM »

There will always be race tuners and tuners available.  I seems that the big deal is that H-D being the manufacturer making vehicles that meet the requirements and then knowingly selling tuners and marketing them to alter street used motorcycles.  They only way to crack down on the end user is to have a required emissions test like some states have foe cars and trucks.

My nickels worth
Jason

Very true.  The EPA has always focused on the manufacturers and their dealers in the auto industry when it came to compliance with anti-tampering portions of the law.  You can't walk into your typical Ford or Chevy dealership and buy Ford or Chevy branded emission system tampering devices over the counter, but there are plenty of aftermarket folks selling chips and various other items.  The only organization I've seen go after the aftermarket is CARB, who busted Power Commander years ago and hit them with a big fine (that's why they now have two versions on their website, the street legal product no one buys and the original version).  The big difference with motorcycles and Harley is that the EPA has always looked the other way for them on all kinds of issues, as has the NHTSA.  The same issues that resulted in forced recalls for car companies, like stumble/stall complaints for instance, have never been recalled or corrected by H-D.  Instead, they would sell you a SEPST so you could pay to fix the defect yourself.  They've had a very long and lucrative run breaking the law, and now they will have to start providing bikes that actually run properly right out of the crate.  I hope EPA follows up on this along with NHTSA and holds their feet to the fire on making the stock calibrations meet performance and safety standards just like everyone else. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2016, 11:31:24 AM »

Big question:  If you presently have one installed and have mods done to your engine, will the HD dealership still dyno it and use the tuner?  Or will they be required to remove it?
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2016, 11:52:56 AM »

Big question:  If you presently have one installed and have mods done to your engine, will the HD dealership still dyno it and use the tuner?  Or will they be required to remove it?

You'll usually find much better tuners at places other than Harley dealerships anyway, so for most it won't be an issue.  As for all the mods and "tuning" they've done in the past, that was all illegal but of course they got away with it.  The question now is will the EPA start checking and fining individual dealers for tampering.  I guess time will tell just how serious they are.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Screaming Eagle Super Tuners
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2016, 12:15:16 PM »

Apparently Harley will no longer be available or selling them after the 23rd.   Hearing that Mothership will be buying back any stock at the stores.   If you want one best consider it this weekend.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2016, 12:22:06 PM »

You'll usually find much better tuners at places other than Harley dealerships anyway, so for most it won't be an issue.  As for all the mods and "tuning" they've done in the past, that was all illegal but of course they got away with it.  The question now is will the EPA start checking and fining individual dealers for tampering.  I guess time will tell just how serious they are.

Jerry

QUICK ANSWER: YES!! 

I think all aftermarket dealers and tuners are in BIG trouble as are exhaust manufacturers.

I'm looking forward to hearing more during Daytona Biketoberfest. 

Cajun851

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2016, 01:34:28 PM »

QUICK ANSWER: YES!!  I think all aftermarket dealers and tuners are in BIG trouble as are exhaust manufacturers. I'm looking forward to hearing more during Daytona Biketoberfest.

I think you're right! That's going to be the million dollar question. What will the EPA do to those companies who have their own fuel management systems and headers? I'm pretty sure Harley doesn't manufacture or sell headers without cats so you have to depend on V&H, Rush, Cobra, Rinehart...the list goes on!!

I plan to stop at my dealership this afternoon and ask what they know. I'd like to know if the tuner I just purchased from them a month ago has become a $460 paperweight.   :sauer005: 

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2016, 02:25:25 PM »

I see an opportunity to drive state revenue.  In MASS, bikes are exempt from emissions testing and pay only $15 yearly for inspection.  Cars pay $35.  Change the rules based on these new revelations, cha ching!
Any day on the bike is a good day.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2016, 02:25:59 PM »

I think you're right! That's going to be the million dollar question. What will the EPA do to those companies who have their own fuel management systems and headers? I'm pretty sure Harley doesn't manufacture or sell headers without cats so you have to depend on V&H, Rush, Cobra, Rinehart...the list goes on!!

I plan to stop at my dealership this afternoon and ask what they know. I'd like to know if the tuner I just purchased from them a month ago has become a $460 paperweight.   :sauer005:
If your dealer is like mine they will have no knowledge until after the dealer meeting and everything is 'officially' announced.  Of course they already have 17s in stock or at least on the way and I am sure sales, service and parts have some advance information but not available to the public.  But good luck and let us know if you get any information.

I have no first hand knowledge about the Pro Super Tuner that is being discontinued but if it is like its predecessor the Screamin' Race Tuner (SERT) which was sourced by the moco from TTS Mastertune then it comes with software to make it functional.  The SERT did and if the Pro Super Tuner does then you can make your own modifications or any tuner willing to load and work with the software can use it and the interface to tune your bike.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2016, 02:43:05 PM »

I see an opportunity to drive state revenue.  In MASS, bikes are exempt from emissions testing and pay only $15 yearly for inspection.  Cars pay $35.  Change the rules based on these new revelations, cha ching!

If your dealer is like mine they will have no knowledge until after the dealer meeting and everything is 'officially' announced.  Of course they already have 17s in stock or at least on the way and I am sure sales, service and parts have some advance information but not available to the public.  But good luck and let us know if you get any information.

I have no first hand knowledge about the Pro Super Tuner that is being discontinued but if it is like its predecessor the Screamin' Race Tuner (SERT) which was sourced by the moco from TTS Mastertune then it comes with software to make it functional.  The SERT did and if the Pro Super Tuner does then you can make your own modifications or any tuner willing to load and work with the software can use it and the interface to tune your bike.

FYI: This is a FED thing so state laws don't mean diddily.....Monetary fines for violaters will be huge.

Besides I'm sure the FEDS will come up with some sort of hassle inspection process again.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2016, 03:09:27 PM »

Hehehe.  It'll be more fun if I ain't supposed to do it.  And I'll bet money, I can still get it done.  Where there's a will, there's always a way!  Guess Ol' Hub just ain't environmentally friendly.  Ladies love Outlaws.  Later--HUBBARD 
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 25 queries.