Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: HK 2009 Radio Screen Problem...  (Read 3173 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
HK 2009 Radio Screen Problem...
« on: September 11, 2016, 04:07:43 PM »

My problem is that I have NO screen on my HK radio.  It plays and all of the functions work, AM, FM, Weather and iPod etc.

Okay, I just finished installing new Wild One bars on my '09 SERG.  I did all the connectors and double checked everything.

Before installing the front fairing I thought I'd check out the controls to make sure all of my signals, volume, track changing, headlights etc work with both hand sets.  Everything works as it did before.

Could there be a wire that's not seated correctly in one of my harnesses that I had to pull to get the new bars installed?

There are two large plugs and the antenna on the radio.  I've taken them all out and pushed them back in without any change, still no screen.

I can't think of anything in the handlebar grip sets that would let everything work on the radio except for the screen.

Anyone have any ideas on what might have happened?

Or is this just a unfortunate coincidence that the screen quit working at the same time I changed out the bars?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: HK 2009 Radio Screen Problem...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 05:08:00 PM »

Dan, could it be that somehow in removing and re-installing your switches the screen brightness level was turned so low that you cannot actually see anything.   :nixweiss: 

Just a guess and you'd just have to scroll through the settings with the handlebar buttons until you stumbled to the right place.   Barring that I would email or call Iron Cross Audio.  Those folks are super!  Best of luck getting it sorted out.

Jerry

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 10:25:48 PM »

Dan, could it be that somehow in removing and re-installing your switches the screen brightness level was turned so low that you cannot actually see anything.   :nixweiss: 

Just a guess and you'd just have to scroll through the settings with the handlebar buttons until you stumbled to the right place.   Barring that I would email or call Iron Cross Audio.  Those folks are super!  Best of luck getting it sorted out.

Jerry

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've gone through all of the modes with the left screen button.  I know the series and when I got to the contrast, the screen is still blank.

When I turn on/off the head unit, it goes on/off etc, but there is no HD logo when it powers up, just blank.

Everything functions correctly, just no screen.

I've left the fairing off just in case I get a fix.  I've double checked all of the pin outs to make sure I have them all correct, they are...

Thanks again for the reply.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 10:44:40 PM »

Dan.
Sounds like a coincidence... I thought I was the only one that lucky??? At least you discovered it before you put the fairing back on...

Iron Cross Audio can hook you up...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 12:41:39 AM »

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 05:40:42 AM »

Someone had posted a reset procedure on here a little while ago.

Didn't see this anywhere here so figured I'd post this.

Was on a trip last few weeks and lost the radio display. Everything worked, just no display. I found a way to reboot the display and sure enough it came right back.

This is for a '13 SERG.

1. Have the radio on and at the same time press and release #'s 1, 3, and OK.
2. Press the up arrow twice.
3. Press #2 once.
4. Turn the ignition off for 30 seconds.
5. Turn on ignition.

Display should be back.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 08:24:40 AM »

you forgot to mention whether you should be standing on your left foot or right, and is it a clockwise spin or counterclockwise?
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 09:52:59 AM »

Someone had posted a reset procedure on here a little while ago.

Didn't see this anywhere here so figured I'd post this.

Was on a trip last few weeks and lost the radio display. Everything worked, just no display. I found a way to reboot the display and sure enough it came right back.

This is for a '13 SERG.

1. Have the radio on and at the same time press and release #'s 1, 3, and OK.
2. Press the up arrow twice.
3. Press #2 once.
4. Turn the ignition off for 30 seconds.
5. Turn on ignition.

Display should be back.

Mike, thanks for the reset code.

Like Scratch said, it's sounds complicated.  I may have to get a helper to push all the buttons at the same time...  :D  :D

I didn't look, but is this procedure in the manual?  I have the Audio manual that came with the '09 SERG and I also have a service manual and CVO supplement for an '08 SERK.  I kept the '08 service and CVO manual from my trade in on the '09 SERG and have used it several times.

Just information, but I've had the 50 MAX fuse out of the bike for over a month.  This may have had something to do with the screen issues.

Thanks again and I will try the reset procedure tonight and let you all know.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 10:16:49 PM »

I did the reset on the radio and it didn't solve my problem.  It still plays and does all of the modes, just no screen.

I looked in my manual and couldn't find anything about no screen with a working radio.

Any other ideas other than Iron Cross Radio?
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 10:35:17 PM »

I did the reset on the radio and it didn't solve my problem.  It still plays and does all of the modes, just no screen.

I looked in my manual and couldn't find anything about no screen with a working radio.

Any other ideas other than Iron Cross Radio?

Call them up or email them and tell them what's wrong.  They won't make you send it in if they can tell you what to do to fix it on the bike.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 04:32:58 PM »

I e-mailed Iron Cross Radio and Tony got back with me very quickly.  At this point there doesn't seem to be any option with them other than sending it back.

They have a flat rate for repair/rebuild, $250.00.  Not that that's high, but I'm looking to get this done and back up without a $250 bill.

I'm going to go to the Parts Wanted and place an ad for a used '09 HK head unit.

Does anyone know what years will interchange?  I'm thinking that '08, '09, '10 and probably '11 will work, not sure about newer though.

If anyone has any other suggestion, please throw it out here and I'll try it.

Thanks again to all for the help and hopefully I can get this resolved without costing an arm and a leg...  :(  :(  :(
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 05:21:57 PM »

actually, hd switched from the radiosounds unit in 2007.  then went to the infotainment in 2014.  so you have a pretty broad range of years to work with.

but, if you go with a used unit, you don't really know what you're getting.  if you go with the ic repair, they will go over your hk with a fine tooth comb.  and when you get it back, it will have some sort of warranty on it as well.  plus, as long as they already have it in their hands, why not go ahead and spend a little extra and get the rca outputs, or the rear aux input, etc.?
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 05:33:39 PM »

Skratch, I see your point, but I've thrown some money into the bike with new seat, windshield and now handlebars.  My better half will not like the extra money going to fix something that was perfectly good BEFORE I decided to do the new bars, which she didn't want me to do.

I have the front speakers with J&M 7.25" now and their 2-channel amp.  It sounds quite good for just the fairing speakers.  To utilize the RCA outputs, I would need to add more speakers and another amp.  I doubt that I would ever do that.

J&M uses line level as their inputs and converts inside their amp.  I was leery of this process, versus pre-amp outputs, but it does sound really good with their system.

It's a darn shame that it all worked a month ago before it swapped out the bars.  The only thing I've done is pull the MAX fuse and pull wires etc.  I've double checked all of my wiring, pin outs, and they are all good.  I feel like I just threw away $250.  My $250 handlebars now cost me $500.   :(  :(  :(

Having a warranty is nice, but again, I can't figure out what I did.  If I shorted a wire and saw sparks, I would feel quite so bad, my bad.  But in this case it "should" just work, period.

I'll go over my manual again tonight and see what I can find.

You're right, '08 to '14 will give me a good base to draw from.  I'm sure that someone has popped out a HK head unit for replacement with an aftermarket.  I just need to find the right guy at the right price.

Thanks again for you insight and suggestions.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 06:15:28 PM »

Dan, I feel your frustration brother.  I like to do my own bike work when possible but I've gotten myself into similar situations before and wind up scratching my head wondering what the chit did I do.  It very well could be coincidental but to make sure if you have a friend (a very good friend) with an '08 - '13 bike with the same radio see if you could get him to let you try his radio in your bike.  That way you'd know for sure it was the radio and not something related to the handlebar change.  Just a thought for what it's worth.   :2vrolijk_21:

IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 06:18:35 PM »

Dan, Iron Cross Audio is running a special on eBay - repair for $175.  You aren't going to find a used radio that cheap I don't think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-DAVIDSON-HARMAN-KARDON-RADIO-REPAIR-SERVICE-BY-IRON-CROSS-AUDIO-/141774600929

IBA member # 45520
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 24 queries.