Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Odometer Window in 2017  (Read 5355 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Odometer Window in 2017
« on: September 28, 2016, 05:18:17 PM »

On my new 2017 CVO Limited I cannot see the readout in the odometer window when in direct sunlight.  It is so washed out that it just looks black.  Is this normal?  Any way to adjust / brighten it?  Only thing is I like to be able to see the fuel range when I am riding.   :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 06:06:52 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
Re: Odometer Window n 2017
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 06:02:14 PM »

Rushmore has a high contrast mode you can set but not sure if that adjusts the odometers as well.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 09:34:17 PM »

Rushmore has a high contrast mode you can set but not sure if that adjusts the odometers as well.
Nope, just the infotainment screen.  Thanks.

IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

Odometer Window n 2017
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 06:11:09 PM »

Spoke to moco c/s rep today who queried a tech.  Tech said they are working on a product update to address this issue.  Unsure if it is peculiar to the 17s but sure hope they get something done quickly.   :2vrolijk_21:  Not a huge issue but a definite annoyance.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 09:55:22 AM by ultrafxr »

IBA member # 45520

us1fountain

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO SG
    • IN

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 12:12:08 AM »

I have the same problem with my CVO SG. Sometimes its almost unreadable. Just had it in for the 1k service last week and told them to look into it. They claimed it was working as designed. I think being a new bike, I'm the 1st and only CVO buyer from them so far, they just hadn't ran across it yet. I'm waiting to hear something from someone who actually gets a notice or hard core info from MOCO so I can go back to the dealer with the info. Hopefully it'll just be a reflash.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 12:15:21 AM »

That million miles of product testing was only done at night.  Demands of industrial secrecy come before need of an odometer.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 10:21:27 AM »

That million miles of product testing was only done at night.  Demands of industrial secrecy come before need of an odometer.

;D    So much for all that hype in the press releases put out by the folks in Milwaukee.  Millions of miles of testing, but no one noticed you can't read the odometer/low fuel window in full daylight.  Pretty much proves what many of us were saying after reading the BS.  Running the engine on a test stand or in computer simulations, which is how most companies really "test" stuff these days, isn't going to pick up many things as we've learned in the past.  And it definitely isn't going to pick up things like this.  This sort of thing would require someone actually ride the bike out in the real world.

Depending on the actual display technology used for that window, it may be as simple as a software tweak, or it may require replacement.  If it requires replacement, don't hold your breath.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Tractor Bubba

• Full CVO Member
  • Life's Short - Eat your dessert first!
    • GA

• CVO1: '19 FLHTK Ultra Limited - Silver Flux/Black Fuse
    • CVO2: '14 FLHRSE Road King - Tribal Orange/Galactic Black
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 10:49:53 AM »

So, what changed for 2017 from prior models with regards to controls, electronics, etc?
From appearances, on a Limited, Street Glide, etc - aren't the faring, switches, gauges, etc the same?  Changed the engine (sorry, motor...it's The Motor Company, after all), transmission, clutch, primary, shocks/forks et al... but did they change the gauges?

2019 FLFRTK
2014 FLHRSE6

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 11:02:46 AM »

So, what changed for 2017 from prior models with regards to controls, electronics, etc?
From appearances, on a Limited, Street Glide, etc - aren't the faring, switches, gauges, etc the same?  Changed the engine (sorry, motor...it's The Motor Company, after all), transmission, clutch, primary, shocks/forks et al... but did they change the gauges?
I don't know about the gauges or the odometer window in this case since this is the first Rushmore bike I've owned.  I've test ridden '14-'16 models before but don't recall anything about the odometer window.  I need to get by the dealer and see if it is the same.  Just haven't had time to do that yet.

Looks to me like the display is like the much older LCD type and those weren't good at all.  The display on my '07, my '11 and my '12 were just fine.  Leave it to the moco to fix something that ain't broke.

However the radio/infotainment display is much better than the H-K on my previous bikes.  Those were very hard to see in sunlight.  So all in all I'll take seeing the radio screen over the odometer window.  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 11:05:05 AM by ultrafxr »

IBA member # 45520

us1fountain

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO SG
    • IN

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 12:33:26 PM »

My '15 SGS  odometer was never hard to read. I don't even know if it was self dimming to light conditions, never noticed it doing so like the infotainment display.

I would rather just be able to have a user ability to toggle the gauge lights off/on/brightness level vs an autodim feature.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 12:42:59 PM »

;D    So much for all that hype in the press releases put out by the folks in Milwaukee.  Millions of miles of testing, but no one noticed you can't read the odometer/low fuel window in full daylight.  Pretty much proves what many of us were saying after reading the BS.  Running the engine on a test stand or in computer simulations, which is how most companies really "test" stuff these days, isn't going to pick up many things as we've learned in the past.  And it definitely isn't going to pick up things like this.  This sort of thing would require someone actually ride the bike out in the real world.

Depending on the actual display technology used for that window, it may be as simple as a software tweak, or it may require replacement.  If it requires replacement, don't hold your breath.

Jerry

A thought I've had more than once is that I would love to know what percentage of the people on the various Design Teams and Engineering Groups actually have motorcycle certification their drivers licenses.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 01:46:30 PM »

A thought I've had more than once is that I would love to know what percentage of the people on the various Design Teams and Engineering Groups actually have motorcycle certification their drivers licenses.
Even if they did I'd still wonder if they ever actually rode farther than around the block or test track.  I know many of the H.O.G. folks do ride and ride quite a bit but the designers and engineers may be a completely different story.

IBA member # 45520

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 01:54:09 PM »

Same crap, different year. The 15's are a bitch to see when the sun is at your back. Personally, I think they are so focused on the engine, ride etc., they don't even think about these types of issues......obviously.

us1fountain

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO SG
    • IN

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 05:04:59 PM »

Received a notice from HD today stating there is an issue with some bikes having an incorrect calibration setting for the odometer LCD display and speedometer backlighting, that will require a software update..  And just 4 days ago my dealer said it was working like it was supposed to and they never heard of any issues. 

Bikes effected are 2017 FLHTKSE and FHLXSE
service notice #0923
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 07:42:00 PM by us1fountain »

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 05:17:35 PM »

Same crap, different year. The 15's are a bitch to see when the sun is at your back. Personally, I think they are so focused on the engine, ride etc., they don't even think about these types of issues......obviously.

I know this is a common complaint but I have never had a problem with viewing any display on my 2015. I just took a 2500 mile trip in nothing but bright sunlight with no problems.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 24 queries.