Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27

Author Topic: Freedom Pipes  (Read 46086 times)

onevtwinlover

• Junior CVO Member
  • It's all about the ride
Re: Freedom Pipes
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2004, 12:18:18 PM »

Following up on my experiance on installing the freedom pipes....... As we discussed earlier, there is a clearance issue with the front right header and the rear billet brake pedal.  I heated the header and bent it in as per Freedom Cycle's installation instructions.  I also cut back the heat shield to allow for the 1/4" clearance.  However, I had noticed that the right floor board was vibrating more than the left and was concerned that as the header heated up and expanded and the motor vibrated within the rubber motor mounts that I was getting some contact between the two parts.  I didn't want to bend the header any more, so I decided to install the Kuryakyn brake pedal # 1027 which looks almost exactly like the original.  After doing this, I wished I had done it from the get go and not bothered bending the header pipe and cutting the heat shield.  This is an easy job when the header is off, somewhat harder when the header is on because it is difficult removing the pin that connects the brake pedal to the master cylinder.  So for you guys considering this change, I think it is well worth the $89 for the Kuryakyn pedal.  Just do it all together!!   [smiley=beerchug.gif]

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2004, 11:39:24 PM »

Onetwin;
Thanks for the update. I have ordered the "kit" from Freedom but it has not yet arrived. I did have some concern about "clearancing" the pipe. I will go ahead and order the pedal from Kuryakin. Is it longer than the stock pedal?

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2004, 08:29:15 AM »

There are several brands of pedals out there, The EZ Brake, Bubba's etc. Check them out, I think you will find them more comfortable than the taller Kurakyn pedal (and made here vs tawain). And yes they are longer and have the "billet look" like the OE pedal.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2004, 08:42:57 AM »

Thanks for the tip on the brake pedal have a buddy who ordered the set up as well, will let him know about the brake pedal.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

onevtwinlover

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2004, 05:05:39 PM »

The main concern when ordering a new pedal is the thickness of the arm down near the exhaust.  You will notice that the stock arm has a very wide section in this area were as many of the others are the same width all the way from where it bolts on to the pedal itself.

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2004, 05:51:30 PM »

Unless they moved Milwaukee to Taiwan, Kuryakyn Holdings fabricates at many of the same metal shops and foundries as does HD in South Milwaukee.  Most of their plating is done in West Allis, WS.  Never had a problem with their service, warranties or customer support.

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2004, 06:01:40 PM »

If you want to use that JAP looking Kurakyn on your 30K bike go ahead. But to me it's just cheap JAP crap. All of it.  In my opinion any of the Kurakyn stuff just cheapens the bike. My 2 cents.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2004, 08:15:40 PM »

If you want to use that JAP looking Kurakyn on your 30K bike go ahead. But to me it's just cheap JAP crap. All of it.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 08:16:08 PM by twolanerider »

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2004, 07:50:47 AM »

AMEN.......2Lane......I was really concerned that I had "cheapened" my scoot with the use of selected Kuryakan products.  After learning that the Milwaukee origins of the parts were really undercover "JAP" items I had planned on spending most of the week getting them off and replaced with foreign outsourced HD products.  Guess I'll just leave them alone since at least one other contributor feels they're OK.    [smiley=confused5.gif]

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2004, 08:42:19 AM »

The difference in thickness of the arms on the pedals is probably the fact that one is billet aluminum and the other is steel.  I know EZ brake uses steel.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander

onevtwinlover

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2004, 09:05:10 AM »

I'm gonna jump on this too!!  I've been very pleased with all of the Kuryakyn parts that I have used on several bikes.  Quality seems to be as good or better then OEM parts, and in many cases they offer parts the the motor company just doesn't have.  The prices seem to be reasonable as well. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2004, 04:05:52 PM »

Does kuryakyn have peeling chrome?

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2004, 04:19:15 PM »

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]......Magoo..never heard of any peeling or discoloring.  Guess it's those "JAP's" in South Milwaukee and West Allis doing the chroming on the "cheap" Kuryakyn hardware.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2004, 05:53:22 PM »

In all seriousness I really have had excellent luck with Kuryakyn products over the years.  Both the products themselves and their customer service.  In fact their customer service has been far and way superior to almost any company (including HD) that I've ever dealt with.  A couple of warranty parts have been replaced no questions asked, no hassle, with one piece being well beyond standard warranty.  I even told them of its age and the service rep simply said "no problem, we'll just send you one."

They've been helpful on the phone figuring things out on the front end of a purchase and they've been good on the rare occasion something has crapped out or been wrong on the back end of a purchase.  Since the parts themselves have seemed to be of a completely acceptable quality also that leaves very little to complain about regarding this particular vendor.  At least in my experience they deserve nothing other than a "job well done."

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2004, 01:21:13 AM »

The Freedom pipes, PCIII, and Air cleaner came in yesterday and I installed them today. [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!!! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] The sound is awesome, power increase over stock is incredible. I went ahead and purchased the Kuriakyn pedal as recommended by onetwin. Installation of the whole setup was a breeze.

Thanks to all who have contributed info on this setup. It is truly worth the $'s. And yes I am still going to have it dynoed and will post the #'s when completed.

Have a great Christmas!!!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 20 queries.