Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Hot Head 110  (Read 30895 times)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Hot Head 110
« on: March 21, 2007, 11:07:18 AM »

We've got Ironheads, Panheads, Knuckleheads and Shovelheads. I guess the MoCo wanted another XYZhead, so they gave us the 100 inch Hot-head.

Had a short ride yesterday to the dealer. On my ride back, about 10 miles, I got stuck in traffic about half way. Things got pretty hot, so I shut it off while stuck. Once things cleared up, all was good, normal residential area riding, so it is easy riding, 35 and 25 MPH zones.... plenty of time to cool down.

Air temp was about 70.

When I parked it, I immediately checked some temps.

LCD Oil dipstick: 237 degrees.
Rear of oil tank: 192 degrees.
Bottom of oil tank, several places: 212 - 215 degrees.
Front cylinder head around spark plug: 295 degrees.
Rear cylinder head around spark plug: 360 degrees.

While these are not excessively hot, I was surprised, based on how easy the riding was. I'll keep my infrared thermometer with me, and do some more checking when possible.

I'm running SE A/C, Rinehart TD's and a PC. My measured AFR's are around 13.5. Vents in lowers, one is removed and the other is open as wide as possible. I think I will remove the other vent panel to let in as much air as possible.

I'll also be checking other bikes for comparison.

More to come......

Chief

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
Re: Hot Head 110
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 11:20:22 AM »

We've got Ironheads, Panheads, Knuckleheads and Shovelheads. I guess the MoCo wanted another XYZhead, so they gave us the 100 inch Hot-head.

Had a short ride yesterday to the dealer. On my ride back, about 10 miles, I got stuck in traffic about half way. Things got pretty hot, so I shut it off while stuck. Once things cleared up, all was good, normal residential area riding, so it is easy riding, 35 and 25 MPH zones.... plenty of time to cool down.

Air temp was about 70.

While these are not excessively hot, I was surprised, based on how easy the riding was. I'll keep my infrared thermometer with me, and do some more checking when possible.

I'm running SE A/C, Rinehart TD's and a PC. My measured AFR's are around 13.5. Vents in lowers, one is removed and the other is open as wide as possible. I think I will remove the other vent panel to let in as much air as possible.

More to come......

Chief

Hey Cheif! Where did you get the infrared thermometer? Part #? TIA, AJ

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 11:27:08 AM »

I've had it for a couple of years. It's a Raytek. I think it's an ST Pro, or something like that. Not something I use every day, but sure is handy when you need it.

I can get more specific tonight.

Chief

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 11:34:36 AM »

AJ
Go to your favorite place "Northern Tool" they have them there.

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 11:50:57 AM »

Here's a link to their site. Lots of models to choose from. I've got the ST20XB.

http://www.raytek-northamerica.com/cat.html?cat_id=2.3.3

Chief

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 B/O
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 12:01:17 PM »

We have little key fob ones  for the small  nitro fuel  engines on   the R/C   chit.  Blue-Point (snap-on)  also has the 1/2 dollar sized ones.  about 25 bucks.    8)
Do it right the first time, don't leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the next guy!!

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 B/O
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 12:02:44 PM »

Any good hobby store has em....   just  focus  on the tool  when you go in tho..... :huepfenlol2:
Do it right the first time, don't leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the next guy!!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 12:05:04 PM »

Air temp was about 70.

More to come......

Chief

Chief...what kind of oil are you running?  Didn't know if you still had the Syn 3 in or if you had changed to something else.  That can make a 10-15 degree (or more) difference in oil temps, from mine and others observations.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 12:10:39 PM »

Chief...what kind of oil are you running?  Didn't know if you still had the Syn 3 in or if you had changed to something else.  That can make a 10-15 degree (or more) difference in oil temps, from mine and others observations.

I've got Amsoil 20w-50 in the case and primary. Mobil 1 75w-90 in the tranny.

Maybe we can call 'em Redheads cuz......

Chief

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 12:22:57 PM »

I've got Amsoil 20w-50 in the case and primary. Mobil 1 75w-90 in the tranny.

Maybe we can call 'em Redheads cuz......

Chief

That's about as good as it gets...

JMO, but I don't really think you'll notice much difference with the vents removed.  With them fully open, you might gain an inch or so in the opening, but looking at the opening, it really allows about as much air as you'll get.  With the 04's and before, something was to be gained by actually removing the entire lower in warm weather, but I actually think the vents "funnel" more air, and at a slightly higher velocity, when moving.

Parade Fan?

TTS Mastertune

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 12:30:28 PM »

That's about as good as it gets...

JMO, but I don't really think you'll notice much difference with the vents removed.  With them fully open, you might gain an inch or so in the opening, but looking at the opening, it really allows about as much air as you'll get.  With the 04's and before, something was to be gained by actually removing the entire lower in warm weather, but I actually think the vents "funnel" more air, and at a slightly higher velocity, when moving.

Parade Fan?

The problem I see, is that all the cooling air is directed to the front cylinder, leaving the rear cylinder in the hot shadow of the front.

What we need are some big scoops, like on the V-Max to pull some cold air to the rear cylinder.

Chief

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 12:40:36 PM »

Harbor Freight.  Had 'em on sale a while back for under $10 bucks.  Regular price is about $15 or so as I recall.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 12:46:46 PM »

One thing that I think helps a little bit Chief, is the Dragon Wings.  They allow you to direct the flow of air to some extent.  When I've got them adjusted, I can definitely feel more air on my legs, which is bound to get more air to the rear cylinder, at least when moving.  In traffic, and slow speeds, we're just screwed.  I'm not saying they make a tremendous difference, and I've done no testing, but they do allow directing the air more effectively, even more than just removing the "wings" that come stock on the bike.  I tried the bike with them off completely, and then went with the DW's...much, much better, if you can live with the look.

TTS Mastertune

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 12:55:39 PM »

One thing that I think helps a little bit Chief, is the Dragon Wings.  They allow you to direct the flow of air to some extent.  When I've got them adjusted, I can definitely feel more air on my legs, which is bound to get more air to the rear cylinder, at least when moving.  In traffic, and slow speeds, we're just screwed.  I'm not saying they make a tremendous difference, and I've done no testing, but they do allow directing the air more effectively, even more than just removing the "wings" that come stock on the bike.  I tried the bike with them off completely, and then went with the DW's...much, much better, if you can live with the look.

I yanked the stock deflectors off first thing. Never liked the look of them.

Maybe need to set up a squirrel-cage fan under the battery with some ducts pointing at the rear jug for cooling when stopped. Use some of that 4" foil stuff for dryers. It would look like a lunar lander with silver tuebes everywhere.

Chief

Rhino

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 10:24:45 PM »

1.  Radio Shack has infrared heat thingys.
2.  13.5 is a bit lean. Check your plugs.  13.5 is ok for low end cruise, but 12.5-13 is better for idle range, and certainly 12.0 at WOT, with a descent from 13 to 12.5 for the mid towards the high end, ending up with 12.0 at WOT as previously stated. 

My temps dropped dramatically with these small changes, power increased, and fuel economy suffered if I wack it most of the day down to 35mpg.  38mpg + if being reasonable on the throttle.  Seems to me Harley really understated the requirements of these motors, JMHO.

Rhino
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 25 queries.