Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Problems Inside Primary  (Read 26185 times)

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Problems Inside Primary
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2007, 10:08:27 AM »

Sounds like the old cause and effect of Murphys law.
The cure (new starter ) destroys the next weaker part ( the ring gear ).
Is there an aftermarket ring gear made by Andrews or  S&S. I know Harley wouldn`t pay for it under warranty but the warranty is no good when broke down South of Dallas.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2007, 10:13:03 AM »

Is there an aftermarket ring gear made by Andrews or  S&S. I know Harley wouldn`t pay for it under warranty but the warranty is no good when broke down South of Dallas.

HD is now R&D.  These limited edition new engine models suck when it comes to needing parts.  It took 4 weeks to order a new rear wheel for my SERK.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2007, 10:14:02 AM »

Well gang, keep any eye on your starter ring gears! I was told my clutch hub is on National back order because HD's changing the design/materials to try to fix the run of problems their having with the current one. They're not installing them anymore in new bikes. They are using a new PN from here on in, when it's available. They've been making ring gears without problems forever. WTF??? They said the new starter design puts much more stress on the ring gear, requiring a design/material change. Therefore, no SERK for me for a few weeks probably. They better get it back to me before my CVO pickup ride!!! Damn this sucks!!! Needless to say, Hoist is not a happy camper right now! FTF! FTW! Hoist! :o
Howie,
Sorry to hear this. I know you had mentioned you wanted to go w/a chrome starter to replace the OEM does this mean they will be needing to change these also? This may be something for those w/the 110ci motors to be aware of.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2007, 10:19:08 AM »

Wow Howie,
Sorry for your troubles, I hope they get a fix for you soon.I know you had such enthusiasm about getting this new bike and this has to damper the joy a lot.
Good luck,
Dave

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2007, 10:21:07 AM »

The ring gear is welded to the clutch hub. It's a major hassle to replace only the ring gear. I'm sure there must be aftermarket clutches for the bike I guess, but this is probably about a $1500 job overall. I'll use the stock stuff right now and hope they have it cured, and also hope that the dealer doesn't screw up my bike. If this happens again, FTW, I'm replacing the clutch with non-HD chit! The starter is being replaced as well because the broken ring gear took out the starter jackshaft pinion gear. $100 extra for the chrome one. $270 for a chrome inner primary and 1 hour labor. I'm still in this thing for another $500, but that's cheap for a chrome starter/inner primary. I wouldn't be doing this if it didn't break in the first place. Seems like they design a bike, then you have to replace all their cheapo crap with real quality aftermarket parts so you don't have to worry about breaking down! FTF!!! FTW!!! Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2007, 10:23:27 AM »

Howie,
Sorry to hear this. I know you had mentioned you wanted to go w/a chrome starter to replace the OEM does this mean they will be needing to change these also? This may be something for those w/the 110ci motors to be aware of.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I don't think they're changing starter design/materials, just the clutch hub/ring gear. I believe it's not just the 110's. It's all '07's and '06 Dynas from what I understand. Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2007, 10:29:16 AM »

I don't think they're changing starter design/materials, just the clutch hub/ring gear. I believe it's not just the 110's. It's all '07's and '06 Dynas from what I understand. Hoist! 8)
Ok, gotcha. For some reason I was thinking the problem was in the gears on the starter. :oops:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2007, 10:32:01 AM »

Ok, gotcha. For some reason I was thinking the problem was in the gears on the starter. :oops:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

My understanding is the broken ring gear took out the starter gear, but the starter design is unchanged. They have my new chrome starter, but without the new clutch hub I'm SOL! Hoist! 8)

hogasm

« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2007, 07:26:19 PM »

. Seems like they design a bike, then you have to replace all their cheapo crap with real quality aftermarket parts so you don't have to worry about breaking down! FTF!!! FTW!!! Hoist! 8)

Hoist, that's why when you bought the bike one of the things they gave you was the new parts catalog. Even though Willie G is an idiot, his moma didn't raise a fool. :coolblue:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2007, 07:35:51 PM »

Hoist, that's why when you bought the bike one of the things they gave you was the new parts catalog. Even though Willie G is an idiot, his moma didn't raise a fool. :coolblue:

Brian, you forgot one thing. You have to replace the cheapo HD broken junk with bulletproof aftermarket parts. That doesn't help Old Wille Boy any now! ::) Hoist!

hogasm

« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2007, 07:54:51 PM »

Hoist, was at the dealer yesterday, they had 2 07's in service with ring gear problems like yours. They said the problem is in the inferior metal used in the ring gear. We called Barnette and Rivera for new ring gears "mine needs one also" ad they do not have one available yet for' the 07's.

Can't blame you for replacing the parts with aftermarket but remember that your 2 year warranty will not cover them :huepfenlol2:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2007, 08:00:45 PM »

Hoist, was at the dealer yesterday, they had 2 07's in service with ring gear problems like yours. They said the problem is in the inferior metal used in the ring gear. We called Barnette and Rivera for new ring gears "mine needs one also" ad they do not have one available yet for' the 07's.

Can't blame you for replacing the parts with aftermarket but remember that your 2 year warranty will not cover them :huepfenlol2:
:oops: :shocked2: :lipsrsealed2: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2007, 08:06:22 PM »

FTW!!! ;) Hoist! 8)

Mikey

• 2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Get the gold, make the rules!

• CVO1: FLHRSEi2 2003
    • CVO2: FLTRUSE 2015
    • Classic Muscle Bikes
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2007, 02:05:07 AM »

Guys,
I think there are more problems than the ring gear on all of the 07's. I was at Chicago Harley Davidson today and heard a brand new bike start with the happy new owner riding away. The starter sounded awful, the bike was kicking back when he initially cranked the engine and then died on the first try. Something is not right with that.
Mikey
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 02:15:14 AM by Mikey »
GET THE GOLD, MAKE THE RULES!
2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
Limited Edition 100th Anniversary
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/gallery/452_21_04_11_11_12_33.jpg

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2007, 02:17:31 AM »

Guys,
I mentioned before I think there are more problems than the ring gear the 07. I was at Chicago Harley Davidson today and heard a brand new bike start with the happy new owner. The starter sounded awful, the bike was kicking back and died on the first try. Something is not right with that.
Mike

That sure is an understatement Mikey. Now that it's apart, I'm trying to find an alternative to this crazy setup. Hogasm's gonna think I'm nuts, but I'm calling Baker on Mon! A combination of the King Kong Clutch and regearing is starting to sound pretty good to me about now! ;) Hoist! 8)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.