Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: How Did We Miss This? Chrome rear tail light extension  (Read 18834 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: How Did We Miss This? Chrome rear tail light extension
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2007, 08:49:34 AM »

UPS just brought my order from Chicago HD, which included the "tail dragger" (91067-07). :apple: :orange: :bananarock: :pepper: :2vrolijk_21:  Been very busy and leaving town in a day or two, so will not get to install the new bling for a week or so.

Has anyone installed this piece themselves?  Looks like I will have to drill two holes in the rear fender to install.  My question is; after you drill the holes in the fender, do you suggest some type of corrosion prevention for the exposed metal around the edge of the newly drilled holes?

I will take a few pics of all the new bling and post in a couple of weeks.

Absolutely!  It doesn't have to be fancy, but you should at least apply a couple coats of touchup to the edge of the holes to seal out air and moisture.  There are other products such as zinc rich primers, wax sticks, etc., but I've found a couple coats of touchup work just as well as anything else.  If you don't have the correct color touchup, just use the clear.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2007, 01:07:15 AM »

Stick with your current plan... I did the same on my '05 SEEG and it looks amazing!  When that chrome piece came out this year I thought I had waisted my money on colour matching the filler strips and tail light assembly.  But when I saw the chrome piece on a friends bike I knew my money was well spent last year with my new addition to the rear fender.  Now that this part is no longer a "restricted part" reserved only for Street Glide repairs, I imagine you'll be see a few more out there.  However you'll still be a rarity as most will opt for the cheaper chrome version which for me just doesn't cut it.
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2007, 01:17:18 AM »

Stick with your current plan... I did the same on my '05 SEEG and it looks amazing!  When that chrome piece came out this year I thought I had waisted my money on colour matching the filler strips and tail light assembly.  But when I saw the chrome piece on a friends bike I knew my money was well spent last year with my new addition to the rear fender.  Now that this part is no longer a "restricted part" reserved only for Street Glide repairs, I imagine you'll be see a few more out there.  However you'll still be a rarity as most will opt for the cheaper chrome version which for me just doesn't cut it.

Red color matched on a SEEG doesn't look bad at all.

Jim

• Full CVO Member
  • One Day At A Time
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2007, 03:48:21 PM »

Can you recommend someone who could color match an extension for me to match my 08 SEUC aniverssary color?

Jim`
SE A/f
SE Mufflers
SE Race Tuner

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2007, 04:04:27 PM »

Red color matched on a SEEG doesn't look bad at all.

Don,

Looks like you have a Bushtech trailer hitch on your bike, from the photo?

The chrome version will not work with the Bushtech hitch -- the back of the light hits the vertical tube for the draw bar.  If I am right and you do have the Bushtech hitch, did you have to modify the light to make it work?  Is this light different from the light on the chrome version?

LRebel

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2007, 04:15:10 PM »

Don,

Looks like you have a Bushtech trailer hitch on your bike, from the photo?

The chrome version will not work with the Bushtech hitch -- the back of the light hits the vertical tube for the draw bar.  If I am right and you do have the Bushtech hitch, did you have to modify the light to make it work?  Is this light different from the light on the chrome version?

LRebel

Yes, it is a Bushtec hitch on the bike.  Didn't have to modify anything to make the two work together.  Only thing required was to be careful during the hitch install to make sure you're taking advantage of the adjustment slots.  Adjusted to take advantage of that travel in the bolt holes and there is plenty of room.

Sorry but I can't give you a comparison between the painted and the chromed version.  I knew I wanted the painted.  Really didn't care for chrome on that part.  So never made a side by side comparison.

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2007, 04:23:36 PM »

Yes, it is a Bushtec hitch on the bike.  Didn't have to modify anything to make the two work together.  Only thing required was to be careful during the hitch install to make sure you're taking advantage of the adjustment slots.  Adjusted to take advantage of that travel in the bolt holes and there is plenty of room.

Sorry but I can't give you a comparison between the painted and the chromed version.  I knew I wanted the painted.  Really didn't care for chrome on that part.  So never made a side by side comparison.

Ok, can you enlighten me on the adjustment slots?   :nixweiss:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2007, 04:26:02 PM »

Ok, can you enlighten me on the adjustment slots?   :nixweiss:

Nothing special there.  Nearly every mounting hole in the Bushtec brackets has some elongation to them.  To allow for some adjustment in the assembly.  Just need to make sure and leave everything loose, tweak it the direction you need to, then tighten it all up.

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2007, 04:33:20 PM »

Nothing special there.  Nearly every mounting hole in the Bushtec brackets has some elongation to them.  To allow for some adjustment in the assembly.  Just need to make sure and leave everything loose, tweak it the direction you need to, then tighten it all up.

Just put my hitch on last week - not sure mine has much, if any adjustment.....I will have to look at it again.  In any case, it wouldn't have enough adjustment to make room for the light in the chrome version of the fender light.

Thanks!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2007, 04:40:07 PM »

Just put my hitch on last week - not sure mine has much, if any adjustment.....I will have to look at it again.  In any case, it wouldn't have enough adjustment to make room for the light in the chrome version of the fender light.

Thanks!

There's not a lot of adjustment.  But enough.  At least for the standard painted version of the Street Glide light.

Only problem might be if it's an older Bushtec hitch.  They altered their hitches shortly after the Street Glides came out to account for the fender extension.  After the product change that became, however, the only model of hitch for the touring bikes.  So as long as it's recent stock you've got the best option they'll offer.

When I first installed mine it touched the fender extension.  Barely.  Was just sure I had all the holes used to get as far rearward as it would go.  Swore a little.  Had another beverage (or three).  Loosened it all back off again and pushed and tweaked and removed and loosened and swore and tweaked and tapped.  Then, I'll be damned, it all went back together with room to spare.  Gained 1/4" between the fender extension and the hitch.

It's very solid when it's all together too.  So if it clears it's good enough.  You can pick the ass end of the bike off the ground with the hitch and the hitch won't get closer to the fender extension.

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2007, 04:48:56 PM »

There's not a lot of adjustment.  But enough.  At least for the standard painted version of the Street Glide light.

Only problem might be if it's an older Bushtec hitch.  They altered their hitches shortly after the Street Glides came out to account for the fender extension.  After the product change that became, however, the only model of hitch for the touring bikes.  So as long as it's recent stock you've got the best option they'll offer.

When I first installed mine it touched the fender extension.  Barely.  Was just sure I had all the holes used to get as far rearward as it would go.  Swore a little.  Had another beverage (or three).  Loosened it all back off again and pushed and tweaked and removed and loosened and swore and tweaked and tapped.  Then, I'll be damned, it all went back together with room to spare.  Gained 1/4" between the fender extension and the hitch.

It's very solid when it's all together too.  So if it clears it's good enough.  You can pick the ass end of the bike off the ground with the hitch and the hitch won't get closer to the fender extension.

I ordered mine a few weeks ago, so I would think it is the newest version.  I am going to go look at mine again as soon at the football game is over.  Boomer Sooner!

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2008, 09:58:05 AM »

I haven't seen one of these on a Nanner but I will when mine arrives.  Painting the low profile mirrors so may as well color match this too at the same time.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2008, 07:16:54 PM »

You can pick the ass end of the bike off the ground with the hitch and the hitch won't get closer to the fender extension.
   :oops:  Block & Tackle or Floor Jack?   ???  har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2008, 08:00:46 PM »

:oops:  Block & Tackle or Floor Jack?   ???  har!  :drink: spyder

First off it was a Twolane-pucker-lift.  Then to get a better view and actually lift it farther it was a scissor jack on a 4x4 directly under the hitch.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2008, 07:32:04 PM »

Here is another light bar option coming out this summer
http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=harley&ci=3931
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 25 queries.