Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Harley Does Heat Deflectors  (Read 7044 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Harley Does Heat Deflectors
« on: April 30, 2007, 08:51:40 PM »

This may be a repost, and some of you probably saw this already,

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448770865&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374309178693&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374309178693&bmUID=1177702948550&bmLocale=en_US

I don't know where this puts the discussion about heat deflectors now.
I've had the RJ version for over a year without problems, so I guess this was just a matter of time.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Harley Does Heat Deflectors
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 02:09:02 AM »

They obviously realize there is a major issue with heat in the '07 bikes.

58022-07

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.

Fits '01-'07 Touring models. Does not fit models equipped with Adjustable Rider Backrests:zwtf:

MSRP US $89.95
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 02:11:05 AM by Rjob749 »

altugo

• 1K CVO Member
  • Screw it let's ride!

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2 nebula yellow/ cobalt blue
    • CVO2: FLTRSE3 yellow pearl / charcoal slate
Re: Harley Does Heat Deflectors
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 02:34:51 AM »

I hope that solves the heat issue of 110 aka as heathead :drink:
Ridin Legend

Jester_Red07

• http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i213/VROCKSE/RedJester034.jpg
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE 2 VRSCSE
Re: Well it looks like Harley just joined the heat deflector crowd.
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 09:52:03 AM »

They have gotten alot of their products by copying the aftermarket stuff I am sure!!!

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 01:57:06 PM »

58022-07

Fits '01-'07 Touring models. Does not fit models equipped with Adjustable Rider Backrests:zwtf:

MSRP US $89.95
I guess they would interfere with the lever for the backrest.   :nixweiss: Isn't that mounted on the left side of the bike just in front of the side cover?  :confused5:
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 06:37:11 PM »

I guess they would interfere with the lever for the backrest.   :nixweiss: Isn't that mounted on the left side of the bike just in front of the side cover?  :confused5:
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

RedDevil.... you're absolutely right.

Something how HD for lets others do the R&D 1st then copies a successful product, slapping the B&S on it and charging more. :P

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 07:20:59 PM »

58022-07

MSRP US $89.95

Thanks Roger,
                   I talked to my parts guy today. He ordered a bunch and promised me the first set. No matter how I plan it, I know I'm gonna log some hot hours on I-15 north to Nelson. These will come in handy

B B

Now watch it rain the whole time 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 08:06:29 PM by SPIDERMAN »

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 11:53:22 AM »

I bought a set of the Kurykayn ones last week but could not get them installed.  They install on top of the frame and are secured by a wellnut that goes into hole in the crosspiece on either side of and just below the bolt that secures the bottom of the fuel tank. 

On older models all the various wires & hoses that ran the frame backbone were just secured with wire tyes.  No big deal to just move them out of the way and insert the wellnut.  But on my '07 (not sure when this started) they are enclosed in hard plastic raceways that prevent access to the hole.  Lifted the fuel tank but still no go.  Raceway not flexible at all.

Dealer had just gotten set of the H-D version so I exchanged.  Have not installed but these secure from bottom of frame.  Hope they are an easy install.  I hate having difficulty with something that should be so simple.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 11:58:52 AM »

Ultrafxr - Please post your install results. I want to put heat deflectors on my bike before summer and need to know which ones will fit. I did see the Kuryakyn ones installed on a 06 Ultra and they looked good as well as (according to the owner) performed well.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 12:11:29 PM »

SEULTRA, I have seen the Kurys installed as well and they look good.  Familiar with their install since helped a buddy put them on his '99 last summer.  Hope I'm not installationally (how's that for a new word!) challenged but when I encountered those hard plastic raceways I just said f*** it and took them back.  Maybe there is a simple way around that and I'd sure like to know what others have done.

I may get to the H-D version this weekend.  If so I'll definitely post the results (good I hope).

IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 12:14:57 PM »

SEULTRA, I have seen the Kurys installed as well and they look good.  Familiar with their install since helped a buddy put them on his '99 last summer.  Hope I'm not installationally (how's that for a new word!) challenged but when I encountered those hard plastic raceways I just said f*** it and took them back.  Maybe there is a simple way around that and I'd sure like to know what others have done.

I may get to the H-D version this weekend.  If so I'll definitely post the results (good I hope).

Jerry, the raceway was new to 07s.  So you fought that battle only with the new bike.  Will be interested in your impressions of the new parts too.  As much for their impact in keeping head deflected back to the motor as their ability to keep it off the people riding (and, of course, what they look like once installed).

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 01:54:47 PM »

The raceways started on the baggers with the 06 models year.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 01:59:10 PM »

I bought a set of the Kurykayn ones last week but could not get them installed.  They install on top of the frame and are secured by a wellnut that goes into hole in the crosspiece on either side of and just below the bolt that secures the bottom of the fuel tank. 

On older models all the various wires & hoses that ran the frame backbone were just secured with wire tyes.  No big deal to just move them out of the way and insert the wellnut.  But on my '07 (not sure when this started) they are enclosed in hard plastic raceways that prevent access to the hole.  Lifted the fuel tank but still no go.  Raceway not flexible at all.

Dealer had just gotten set of the H-D version so I exchanged.  Have not installed but these secure from bottom of frame.  Hope they are an easy install.  I hate having difficulty with something that should be so simple.

I experienced a similar problem with the Kurys and was told they could not be installed AND that they could be installed.  Had a friend hold the plastic wire channels away while I secured the bolt in the frame.  Not too difficult but JUST enough room to accomplish.  Some bikes may have tighter wires and if so it could be very difficult.

As to performance on the heat deflectors - they are well worth it.  The only drawbac so far is a defelction of some heat towards the passengers left foot.  Wife noticed this on the last ride but not too uncomfortable.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 02:29:55 PM »

I experienced a similar problem with the Kurys and was told they could not be installed AND that they could be installed.  Had a friend hold the plastic wire channels away while I secured the bolt in the frame.   Not too difficult but JUST enough room to accomplish.  Some bikes may have tighter wires and if so it could be very difficult.

As to performance on the heat deflectors - they are well worth it.  The only drawbac so far is a defelction of some heat towards the passengers left foot.  Wife noticed this on the last ride but not too uncomfortable.
Always helpful.  Don't think I could have done it alone and do darn lazy and disappointed to call for help.

IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 02:46:58 PM »

Jerry, the raceway was new to 07s.  So you fought that battle only with the new bike.  Will be interested in your impressions of the new parts too.  As much for their impact in keeping head deflected back to the motor as their ability to keep it off the people riding (and, of course, what they look like once installed).

That will be important.

IBA member # 45520
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 20 queries.