Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: Ambient Temperature Gauge  (Read 9604 times)

SPIDERMAN

Re: Ambient Temperature Gauge
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2007, 10:47:37 PM »

I'm weird, we all know that so it should come as no surprise that I like my ambient temp guage. I call it my bitch guage. It tells me if it's really hot, or just plain hot, really cold or just cold. That way I know when it's ok to bitch about the weather.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2007, 09:37:03 AM »

...so when it's reading normal it means you need to change your bulbs. Clever of Harley to come up with a safety feature like that. DOT should make this mandatory on all vehicles.

hogdooz

• Full CVO Member
  • LET'S GO RIDING!
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2007, 12:11:30 PM »

I found if you move the temperature pick-up to the backside (outside) the inner fairing, the reading will be much more realistic. It worked on both of our Road Glides.
2015 FLTRUSE,, 1978 XLCR,  2003 FXDX, 1942 WLA, 2019 FLHCS, 2022 FXRST EL Diablo

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2007, 08:41:26 AM »

I had my outter fairing off last week to change out my speakers, so at that time i extended the wiring and moved gauge sensor to the outside of the fairing...bottom of the backside of the innerfairing...what a difference...it actually reads the proper temp now, always used to read 20 degrees hotter that it actually was
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

dfrny

• '07 FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2007, 10:06:54 AM »

Scream - I did the same thing for the same reasons (Hawg Wired speaker install). I added a pig-tail and dropped the sensor to the center opening of the faring. It seems to be much more accurate now - although I still subscribe to the old statement of "you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind is blowing" ie. I know when its cold or when its hot!  8) . I think that space would be better served by a more practical gauge like oil temp.

Of course now that I have moved the ambient temp probe I will never know when my headlight bulb burns out...............

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2007, 11:07:40 AM »

Scream, thanks for THE answer. Now if it would easier to change a light bulbs. What have other members done when they strip the plastic with the screws that hold the fairing together ?  I've used JB weld and put teflon tape around the screw so it could be turned out again. I would like to fiberglass brass threaded chingasses at all these points to make maintenance easier for gauge and headlight bulbs and whatever else lurks in there.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2007, 05:45:21 PM »

:ROFLOL:
"you know it could be measuring the temp of those two halogen bulbs. Info like that could be very useful and possibly save your life if you were on the bike at night and your headlights were out. In that instance the gauge would read normal ambient temp and you would know for sure something was horribly wrong. "

Damn, I think someone has broken the code on the silly, dysfunctional ambient (inside fairing) temperature/rain gauge.

:drink:
Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Ripp

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2007, 09:49:55 PM »

I've got my outer fairing off tonite to change my fork oil and figure I'll put the ambient air sensor outside of fairing to help its accuracy. I think it's the white plastic unit that has two wires coming from it (1 blue & 1 black) and it has a sort of wax melted in it, but the book is not clear on what the sensor looks like. I can't put it back together until tomorrow night because I forgot to get an oil pressure gauge lamp at the dealership to replace the one thats burned out. If anyone can help verify that this is the unit by tomorrow night I would appreciate it.

Thanks Ripp

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2007, 10:00:11 PM »

Here you go;

There is a small white box (about .5" x .75") attached to the fair brace with two wires (blue and black) going to it. This is the sensor and it can be moved wherever you want to by extending the wires. There is some play in the wires that are there.

Mike,

I was able to make my "ambient air temp" gauge actually usable by moving the sensor to the bottom of the lower triple tree.  I had to splice in a short length of 18 gauge wire, and then mounted the sensor with 3M double sided tape.  Now it remains pretty accurate (approx +/- 2.5°) as long as you are moving.  With the sensor in the stock location, all you get is a constantly rising temp reading as the sun and the headlight build up heat in the fairing.

I still remain totally amazed that some moron at H-D actually thought an ambient temp gauge would be a good idea on a motorcycle.  Usually when riding a bike (or in a convertible), sticking a bare finger up into the air flow will give you all the ambient air temp information you need.  I think I posted my opinion a year or two ago that H-D should have just applied the money they spent on the POS air temp and voltage gauges on improving the quality and accuracy of the important gauges (fuel and oil pressure).  JMHO

Jerry

Hope this answers the question :2vrolijk_21:

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2007, 10:02:15 PM »

Here you go;

Hope this answers the question :2vrolijk_21:

What did I say earlier about that .01% that dOOd misses!

Go Rog!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2007, 10:17:35 PM »

What did I say earlier about that .01% that dOOd misses!

Go Rog!

:2vrolijk_21:
Chip,
I'm impressed by that one. I'm thinking Roger had those posts saved because he is planning on moving the sensor. :huepfenlol2:

Good job Roger. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2007, 01:02:40 AM »

Chip,
I'm impressed by that one. I'm thinking Roger had those posts saved because he is planning on moving the sensor. :huepfenlol2:

Good job Roger. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

The spun aluminum rain gaugue thread was one of my favorites and I remember the guys that referred to moving the rain gauge sensor.  It's all about sitting on my azz by my computer at work and having the time to read the "top 40" etc.  I do enjoy jumping in with the references from time to time when I recall them though.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 01:09:16 AM by Rjob749 »

Ripp

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2007, 11:35:55 AM »

Thanks again Rjob, I just removed the white portion and pushed the black clip and wires through the opening on the inner fairing towards the bezel and reatached the white portion and zip tied it to the throttle cables. It seems to be fairly accurate there. I can't believe Harley won't relocate this after all these years or replace it with the all popular rain gauge. ;)

Later Ripp

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2007, 11:40:17 AM »

Thanks again Rjob, I just removed the white portion and pushed the black clip and wires through the opening on the inner fairing towards the bezel and reatached the white portion and zip tied it to the throttle cables. It seems to be fairly accurate there. I can't believe Harley won't relocate this after all these years or replace it with the all popular rain gauge. ;)

Later Ripp

I guess they just want to make it a inner faring temp gauge.

Glad it worked out for you.  Better go test it for a couple hundred miles today :2vrolijk_21:

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2009, 09:47:58 AM »

...ok, now it's 2009 has anything changed. I'm sure there has been a constant product upgrade on this item. What do you 09ers think ?  :nixweiss:  Doc
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.