Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Head Gasket  (Read 28822 times)

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
Re: Head Gasket
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 08:03:46 PM »

Rode to the dealer today. Main wrench isn't there. Oh well, had a pleasant ride and a cold brew. Beats working.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2007, 07:53:15 AM »

HB, I am with you, any excuse to drink cold beer and not be at work...COUNT ME IN!
And to be on the bike, BONUS!!!

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2007, 07:57:13 AM »

Great excuse to throw a leg over and have a cold one.

Please keep us updated on your progress.

p.s.  I am going to start shopping for some bibs.  I need to look more "southern" ;D
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007, 07:19:09 AM »

Great excuse to throw a leg over and have a cold one.

Please keep us updated on your progress.

p.s.  I am going to start shopping for some bibs.  I need to look more "southern" ;D

Bibs you should be able to get locally. How bout a slightlyu used set of bubba teeth?

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007, 07:22:32 AM »

Talked to the main wrench last Friday. He agrees, change both head gaskets. He wasn't familiar about a new prt number for a head gasket, but is going to research it. He agrees this is the time to do the cams etc. He thinks the 50 MM Throttle body is overkill. I'll update as I find out more info, I'm simply wanting him to have everything he thinks he needs in stock to minimize downtime. Weather is too pretty right now to not have a bike.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2007, 07:47:52 AM »

Talked to the main wrench last Friday. He agrees, change both head gaskets. He wasn't familiar about a new prt number for a head gasket, but is going to research it. He agrees this is the time to do the cams etc. He thinks the 50 MM Throttle body is overkill. I'll update as I find out more info, I'm simply wanting him to have everything he thinks he needs in stock to minimize downtime. Weather is too pretty right now to not have a bike.

H/B

Got two 51's I'm putting on two 95" motors that are in the works.
But then again the heads are redone and using 590 cams.

Overkill is good for a man!

Well, it's better than road kill! :o

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2007, 07:52:33 AM »

H/B

Got two 51's I'm putting on two 95" motors that are in the works.
But then again the heads are redone and using 590 cams.

Overkill is good for a man!

Well, it's better than road kill! :o

:2vrolijk_21:

I heard that. I'm no motorhead, so I've got to just go with someone's recommendations. I trust this guy, so whatever he thinks.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2007, 09:23:51 PM »

Chief
What do you mean by run-out?

I think the best way to think about run-out is to take a brand new drill bit and put it in a drill press and turn it on. It runs nice and smooth and straight. Now turn the drill press off and take a hammer and hit the tip of the drill bit one good WHACK. Turn on the dril press and watch the tip of the drill bit. That's run-out. That's the same thing that is going on inside your motor if you have excessive run-out. The end of the crankshaft is not spinning in a straight line, but the end of the shaft is actually scribing a circular path. It's bent.

Does that help? Or are you more confused now?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2007, 10:47:50 PM »

I think the best way to think about run-out is to take a brand new drill bit and put it in a drill press and turn it on. It runs nice and smooth and straight. Now turn the drill press off and take a hammer and hit the tip of the drill bit one good WHACK. Turn on the dril press and watch the tip of the drill bit. That's run-out. That's the same thing that is going on inside your motor if you have excessive run-out. The end of the crankshaft is not spinning in a straight line, but the end of the shaft is actually scribing a circular path. It's bent.

Does that help? Or are you more confused now?

Here's another visual.  The girls on Bourbon Street with their rotating tassles (or the really gifted ones with counter-rotating tassles).  If you look at them closely and dead on they all have some run out  ??? .

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2007, 10:58:09 PM »

Here's another visual.  The girls on Bourbon Street with their rotating tassles (or the really gifted ones with counter-rotating tassles).  If you look at them closely and dead on they all have some run out  ??? .

:ROFLOL:

2Ln, I've gotta meet you before Hot Damn Springs!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2007, 09:25:42 AM »

;D ;D ;D

Gravitational forces combined with the rotation of the Earth on its axis with the wind direction and speed are never considered important in making such wise observations as yours here.  Close observation is indeed the key to observing run out with the possibility of accompanying tassel slippages.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2007, 09:38:55 AM »

You win!

beerman

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2007, 12:03:53 PM »

Mine was going in Thursday for the battery recall, but all you guys bitching about head gaskets made me go out to the garage with a flashlight and look.
Guess what?
Mine are both leaking! 07 SE Sprgr with 3200 miles - Great. Minimal currently, but like you guys said - it's not going to get better
Let you know how this turns out-wish me luck !
-Beerman
2008 FLHX, 1997 FLSTS, 1982 BMW R65

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2007, 12:31:02 PM »

Mine was going in Thursday for the battery recall, but all you guys bitching about head gaskets made me go out to the garage with a flashlight and look.
Guess what?
Mine are both leaking! 07 SE Sprgr with 3200 miles - Great. Minimal currently, but like you guys said - it's not going to get better
Let you know how this turns out-wish me luck !
-Beerman

See what happens when we all ban togeher. I wonder how long it will be before there is a recall?

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2007, 12:48:07 PM »

So far, so good. We put on just shy of 1,800 miles this past weekend, and the new gasket is holding up well. I initially had the leak at 1,800 miles, so the new gasket has lasted longer than the original. Maybe they got this one figured out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 25 queries.