Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Fluid Changing 101  (Read 7954 times)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Fluid Changing 101
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2007, 05:00:12 PM »

HogDude - Just caught up with the thread.  Good advice here on fluid changes.  Manual is most helpful.

So Amzoil = HD Syn 3?  Interesting.  Just a matter of price at that point.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2007, 05:18:13 PM »

Thanks, VAZ

Is that a real thanks or an internet thanks :) I just can't tell anymore  :2vrolijk_21:

HogDude

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: Gone-05 SEEG2(never should have let her go)
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2007, 05:57:37 PM »

Is that a real thanks or an internet thanks :) I just can't tell anymore  :2vrolijk_21:

A REAL thanks !  :2vrolijk_21:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2007, 05:59:16 PM »

1st, I think Vaz is jerking, not pulling, legs about Amsoil being same as Syn3...it is NOT!!!

I use Mobil I Vtwin 20W50 in the crankcase. Amsoil 20w50 is another equally good choice.  I get the Mobil I because it's readily available at Advanced Auto and other places like that.  I also use K&N Chrome Oil filters because I like the convenience of the nut on the end to get them loose.  HD, or Amsoil filters will do as well. One of the better filters is a Wix, but they aren't chrome and are not easy to find.  I would never put Syn3 back in my motor...it came out at 500 miles.

I change crankcase oil every 5K...with good synthetics like those listed above, anything sooner is a waste of product, IMO.  But this chit is like talking about religion...

I was running Mobil 1 in all three holes, but last time I switched the tranny to Redline Shockproof (heavy duty), and the primary to Redline MTL.  I'll be changing them every other time from now on.  Opinions on that are also like religion/politics.  Bottom line is that you can't go wrong using any of the products mentioned thus far, and the application.

I drain everything when the oil is hot, or at least very warm...you'll have to ride the bike a few miles before doing the service to get it all warm enough. A good baggie over the oil filter after you've intitially broken it loose will help with catching some of the mess.  I use my J&S jack when changing fluids, and the draining piece that attaches to it, allowing all the fluid to drain to one point, and I picked up a neat catch pan at Wally World that is rectangular, has a capped spout on one end, two holes with removable plugs where the oil drains into the pan...keeps it all contained.  I have a 5 gallon bucket, also available at Wal Mark, to store a couple of three changes in before taking to the recycle place.  If you use the same product in all three holes, one funnel will do.  If you use Redline HD Shockproof in the tranny, you'll need another funnel dedicated to that pink, sticky, chit, unless you want to clean it out...I use one of the measuring type funnels with a tube on the end, as the tranny doesn't take more than about 20oz on pre 07 bikes.  My opinion is not to put more than 3.5 quarts in the crankcase, ride it around a day or two, then check the level.  My bike likes to be 1/3 to 1/2 quart low...it'll blow the excess out the breather otherwise (over time).

Always use new o-rings, and at least entertain the idea of a new Derby cover gasket on the primary.  Also torque the bolts...I do this as I tend to want to overtighten everything.  If you tell your dealer you want all the gaskets/o-rings to do a complete change, they should have them right behind the counter...at least mine does.  Clean all the magnetic plugs well before reinstalling them with a clean shop towel...I use the paper ones for this kind of stuff, and look to make sure there are no unusual pieces of metal attached to the magnets.  It'll be like a fine gray silt if all is well.

If you do not have an Automatic Primary Chain Tensioner, you'll have to check that as well through the side inspection plate and adjust per the sevice manual. The Auto adjuster is money well spent, IMO.  Parts manuals help a lot because they have the exploded diagrams of how everything is put together if you forget.

It's also a good time to give everything a good once-over to see if anything is about to fall off the scooter...these Harleys shake, rattle and roll.  Keep your receipts and write down when you did the work, especially if it's still in warranty.

Congratulations, you've just saved yourself over 200 dollars, you know it's been done correctly, and it gives you the familiarity with the bike so you'll know where things are located.  If you just detest doing this kind of stuff, don't do it again.  I get a lot of satisfaction working on my own bike as much as possible.  I don't trust dealers though.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

HogDude

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2007, 06:08:18 PM »

Congratulations, you've just saved yourself over 200 dollars, you know it's been done correctly, and it gives you the familiarity with the bike so you'll know where things are located.  If you just detest doing this kind of stuff, don't do it again.  I get a lot of satisfaction working on my own bike as much as possible.  I don't trust dealers though.

TC - ,
Great info..... Thanks for the splainin' your routine and the detail.  :2vrolijk_21:
I have a service manual, so I guess it's time for a part manual (like the service manual wasn't expensive enough).

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2007, 06:39:15 PM »

1st, I think Vaz is jerking, not pulling, legs about Amsoil being same as Syn3...it is NOT!!!

I use Mobil I Vtwin 20W50 in the crankcase. Amsoil 20w50 is another equally good choice.  I get the Mobil I because it's readily available at Advanced Auto and other places like that.  I also use K&N Chrome Oil filters because I like the convenience of the nut on the end to get them loose.  HD, or Amsoil filters will do as well. One of the better filters is a Wix, but they aren't chrome and are not easy to find.  I would never put Syn3 back in my motor...it came out at 500 miles.

I change crankcase oil every 5K...with good synthetics like those listed above, anything sooner is a waste of product, IMO.  But this chit is like talking about religion...

I was running Mobil 1 in all three holes, but last time I switched the tranny to Redline Shockproof (heavy duty), and the primary to Redline MTL.  I'll be changing them every other time from now on.  Opinions on that are also like religion/politics.  Bottom line is that you can't go wrong using any of the products mentioned thus far, and the application.

I drain everything when the oil is hot, or at least very warm...you'll have to ride the bike a few miles before doing the service to get it all warm enough. A good baggie over the oil filter after you've intitially broken it loose will help with catching some of the mess.  I use my J&S jack when changing fluids, and the draining piece that attaches to it, allowing all the fluid to drain to one point, and I picked up a neat catch pan at Wally World that is rectangular, has a capped spout on one end, two holes with removable plugs where the oil drains into the pan...keeps it all contained.  I have a 5 gallon bucket, also available at Wal Mark, to store a couple of three changes in before taking to the recycle place.  If you use the same product in all three holes, one funnel will do.  If you use Redline HD Shockproof in the tranny, you'll need another funnel dedicated to that pink, sticky, chit, unless you want to clean it out...I use one of the measuring type funnels with a tube on the end, as the tranny doesn't take more than about 20oz on pre 07 bikes.  My opinion is not to put more than 3.5 quarts in the crankcase, ride it around a day or two, then check the level.  My bike likes to be 1/3 to 1/2 quart low...it'll blow the excess out the breather otherwise (over time).

Always use new o-rings, and at least entertain the idea of a new Derby cover gasket on the primary.  Also torque the bolts...I do this as I tend to want to overtighten everything.  If you tell your dealer you want all the gaskets/o-rings to do a complete change, they should have them right behind the counter...at least mine does.  Clean all the magnetic plugs well before reinstalling them with a clean shop towel...I use the paper ones for this kind of stuff, and look to make sure there are no unusual pieces of metal attached to the magnets.  It'll be like a fine gray silt if all is well.

If you do not have an Automatic Primary Chain Tensioner, you'll have to check that as well through the side inspection plate and adjust per the sevice manual. The Auto adjuster is money well spent, IMO.  Parts manuals help a lot because they have the exploded diagrams of how everything is put together if you forget.

It's also a good time to give everything a good once-over to see if anything is about to fall off the scooter...these Harleys shake, rattle and roll.  Keep your receipts and write down when you did the work, especially if it's still in warranty.

Great post and thanks for taking the time to do it.

I just recieved a copy of the Fix My Hog DVD for touring models.  It is really helping me learn more about how to do somethings myself.  I may not do them now, but someday I will and these DVD's help us less mechanically inclined.
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2007, 06:46:40 PM »

TC - ,
Great info..... Thanks for the splainin' your routine and the detail.  :2vrolijk_21:
I have a service manual, so I guess it's time for a part manual (like the service manual wasn't expensive enough).
It will be money well spent. I have all the manuals for mine.... '04 Touring Shop Manual, FLHTCSE Supplement Manual, FLHTCSE Parts Manual, and '04 Touring Electrical Diagnostic Manual.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 06:51:48 PM by Fired00d »
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2007, 06:59:30 PM »

HogDude - Just caught up with the thread.  Good advice here on fluid changes.  Manual is most helpful.

So Amzoil = HD Syn 3?  Interesting.  Just a matter of price at that point.

After Terry's comment did a little checking - HD Syn3 is manufactured by Sunoco, according to what I read.  FYI

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2007, 07:38:56 PM »

I just knew I could count on you to clear things up for everyone .

(i use all that crap after I'm out of warranty) 

« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 07:43:49 PM by VAZHOG »

HogDude

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2007, 07:39:10 PM »

It will be money well spent. I have all the manuals for mine.... '04 Touring Shop Manual, FLHTCSE Supplement Manual, FLHTCSE Parts Manual, and '04 Touring Electrical Diagnostic Manual.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

D00d,
Heck, I thought I had it covered with the service manual and the addiitonal supplement, especially after dropping $100+ on them; didn't realize there was more manuals to complement them and help me part with my money  ;D

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2007, 07:41:27 PM »

After Terry's comment did a little checking - HD Syn3 is manufactured by Sunoco, according to what I read.  FYI
And they bought it from someone else and passed the saving on to HD who in turn passes (the savings) on to you.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2007, 07:42:28 PM »

D00d,
Heck, I thought I had it covered with the service manual and the addiitonal supplement, especially after dropping $100+ on them; didn't realize there was more manuals to complement them and help me part with my money  ;D
Oh, that's just the beginning. We'll be able to help you part w/more money then you knew you had. :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2007, 07:48:38 PM »

Yeah, the entire HD=Amsoil=Amway equation had a few flaws in it  :huepfenlol2: .

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2007, 10:46:02 PM »

Yeah, the entire HD=Amsoil=Amway equation had a few flaws in it  :huepfenlol2: .

It seemed odd, since the Amsoil websites trash Syn-3 - no quarter given.  Amway woud have a 'free' bar of soap with each quart or a 'complimentary air freshener.   :huepfenlol2:

The veracity of the mystery button remains a pillar of truth by comparison.  :huepfenjump3:

Is dumping used oil in the middle of my neighbors yard considered bad form?   :nixweiss:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2007, 10:47:39 PM »

Is dumping used oil in the middle of my neighbors yard considered bad form?   :nixweiss:

Only if you use it to spell H O N D A
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 25 queries.