Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Cranking Problems  (Read 4026 times)

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
Cranking Problems
« on: December 26, 2004, 03:53:02 PM »

Sometimes this motor just cranks and cranks and wont fire and it sounds like someone is beating on the primary with a hammer when it does it. Most of the time I can let off of the start button for a second and hit it again and it starts instantly. Never seen anything like it on my Evo.
Anyone else seen this problem?

Dave

mfgreen

Re: Cranking Problems
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004, 04:11:46 PM »

Sometimes this motor just cranks and cranks and wont fire and it sounds like someone is beating on the primary with a hammer when it does it. Most of the time I can let off of the start button for a second and hit it again and it starts instantly. Never seen anything like it on my Evo.

Dave

Dave,
Ihave seen this on several 103's......never got any explanation for it from mechanics or H-D.  I think it has something to do with the computer and the sensors giving false info or incomplete info.  When you let off and hit the start button again all the info seems to enter correctly and lets it fire.
Mike

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2004, 05:54:52 PM »

Thanks for the reply Mike.
Knowing that mine isn`t the only one makes me feel somewhat better.
After thinking about it this afternoon Im going to slowdown a bit before hitting the starter. I`ll let the ecm light go out before I try to crank it and  see if that helps.
I`ll post the results.

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2004, 06:38:47 PM »

I am on my third Fuel Injection bike, Have never had the starting problem you describe, evo, twin cam 88 or my current 103. But I do let the fuel pump cycle and check engine light go out before I hit the starter.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2004, 08:57:53 PM »

Dave, whether this will end up solving your problem or not we can only hope (because it's simple and free and those are the best kinds of solutions).  On my last Road King it occasionaly behaved kind of like you're describing.  It stopped doing it when I started waiting long enough after turning the switch on for the fuel pump to cycle before hitting the starter.  Good luck.

MAS

• Full CVO Member
  • LO and SLO
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2004, 10:20:46 PM »

...it sounds like someone is beating on the primary with a hammer when it does it.
Dave

Dave,

In the road glide section you posted that you changed the compensating sprocket to a 24 tooth, was it on this bike? A smaller comp sprocket could make it harder for the starter to crank the engine. Or, if work was done in the primary something could be out of alignment. Just a thought I had, keep us posted I'm sure you will figure it out.

Mark
05 Green FLHTCSE2
Vance and Hines Dresser Duals
SE performance mufflers Kerker Mikuni baffles
SE High flow kit
HD Race tuner
Progressive 440 shocks
02 Big Dog Bulldog

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2004, 10:37:53 PM »

Dave,

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2004, 10:45:40 PM »

Dave;
My owners manual says to wait until the engine light goes out (4 seconds) and the fuel pumps stops (2 seconds) before starting.

Give that a shot and see if it does it any more. Hope it all works out. Let us know.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2004, 11:28:04 PM »

Dave;
My owners manual says to wait until the engine light goes out (4 seconds) and the fuel pumps stops (2 seconds) before starting.

Give that a shot and see if it does it any more. Hope it all works out. Let us know.

Its kind of like the combination on my Old Pan . Turn on gas wait till bowl fills. Twist throttle twice. Set Choke. Kick once . Turn on switch. Pray .Kick to start. Cuss if it doesn`t.

Thanks,
   Guess I should read the instructions.

mfgreen

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2004, 01:04:48 AM »

Its kind of like the combination on my Old Pan . Turn on gas wait till bowl fills. Twist throttle twice. Set Choke. Kick once . Turn on switch. Pray .Kick to start. Cuss if it doesn`t.

Thanks,

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2004, 03:39:41 PM »

The  103's have a "hot  restart" issue. When the bike is shut off and then immediately restarted, such as at a service station when you're waiting for a pump, the starter will behave as you have indicated. This will occur especially if the bike is in gear and the clutch is disengaged to start. I don't know if your bike is doing this when cold or hot?

[smiley=confused5.gif]

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2004, 06:55:14 PM »

The

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2004, 09:43:04 PM »

Dave;

I started to run this by you but HD-Dude beat me to it.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

MGB

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2004, 08:09:08 PM »

Don't have this problem with mine, but everytime I crank it, hot or cold, it gives out an extremely loud poping noise, almost like a backfire right before it cranks. It always cranks fine but this loud explosive noise just don't sound like it should be there. This is my first fuel injection so I don't know how it's supposed to act. Anyone else out there have this irritating problem or know what it might be? Thanks
Mike

'78 Vette
'78 Tri. Bonneville
'04 SEEG
'13 Ann. Tri-Glide
'02 883 (wife's)
'04 1200 (wife's)
'12 sWITCHBACK (wife's)

"RIDE WATCHA GOT"

Skooby

• Full CVO Member
  • Have you kicked your tires lately?
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2004, 10:26:51 PM »

Hey MGB,  I had my first experience starting my wheels today.  It's a funny thing cause I just read this post the other day and had no problems til this morning.  I hadn't started my bike in about 4 wks.  During the 4 wks,  we had some real cold weather so I didn't ride at all.  To shorten the story,  my bike didn't want to start this morning, so I tried it again this evening.  I follow the steps on letting the fuel pump light go out and everything and never had a problem starting it before.  The motor cranks but would not fire.   After putting a hurt on my battery,  I charged it for about 2 hrs,  nodda,  same results.  Then I got this idea!  Before I cranked it yet again,  I put it in gear,  rocked it back and forth so I could hear the motor move.... and wha laaaa!  It fired right up.  Must have been vapored locked or something!  I'm gonna rember doing this for future references.
'03 FLHRSEI2

Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 24 queries.