Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Road King or Electra Glide ?  (Read 5663 times)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Road King or Electra Glide ?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 10:42:24 AM »

d00d, like I said, equally equip a RK exactly like his bike, and have him ride it, the RK will beat his own RG! I never said I was beating Otis or anyone else. Not that it's not fun trying! ::) Hoist! 8)
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, doesn't mean I agree with it. ;D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 11:03:04 AM »

I have both, both engines similarly hopped up, both are a blast. I live in Michigan, and ride 10 months a year, the EG makes this easier and more comfortable, I do like the radio also. The EG may be the Full Dress, but I can get more in stuff sacks, sleeping bags, tents and chairs bungeed  to the back of my RK with a backrest, than I would on my SEEG with the King TP.

For the question started on this thread, your doing the right thing and will love it, thats why I kept my trusty RK :)
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2007, 11:09:39 AM »

Hmmmm. Hey Chip what do you think about this?? :evilgrin: Sounds like somebody needs to ride w/the HBRR's. :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

dOOd

When the Electra Glide standards came out (remember them, maybe 1990, they had windshields not the batwing fairing) many years ago and then when Harley came up with the "less is more" introduction of the Road King a lot of my friends bought them. Many sold them and went back to the Ultra, Classic or standard (with batwing fairing) because of the handling. Hoist may be the poster child for R/K advocates but at speeds above 100 the E/G's have the advantage of better handling. 
As far as the Frontier not being a full dresser, hell it's not even a Harley, so there! But Thunder Mountain did copy the best touring and all around bike when they built the Frontier. I guess they could have put a R/K windshield on the Frontier but as is always the case, "They go where the best interest and the money is."  Besides the original post in this thread questioned the batwing fairing and I DO have one of those on my Frontier.

As far as riding with the HBRR, Hoist is the kind of guy that we look for. Hubbard and Randy will have him for lunch a few times and then he will get him a batwing. Hoist may post another 5K post about he will never have one but hell look at his track record here. At least 1500 post about keeping the warranty  and another 1500 about keeping it stock so does you really expect me to believe him when he says "No way you will see me on another FD"!

I can only go by what I read!

I just don't believe all of it!

:2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 11:16:36 AM by Silver-Black »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2007, 11:17:38 AM »

dOOd

When the Electra Glide standards came out (remember them, windshields not the batwing) many years ago and then when Harley came up with the "less is more" introduction of the Road King a lot of my friends bought them. Many sold them and went back to the Ultra, Classic or standard (with batwing fairing) because of the handling. Hoist may be the poster child for R/K advocates but at speeds above 100 the E/G's have the advantage of better handling. 
As far as the Frontier not being a full dresser, hell it's not even a Harley, so there! But Thunder Mountain did copy the best touring and all around bike when they built the Frontier. I guess they could have put a R/K windshield on the Frontier but as is always the case, "They go where the best interest and the money is."  Besides the original post in this thread questioned the batwing fairing and I DO have one of those on my Frontier.

As far as riding with the HBRR, Hoist is the kind of guy that we look for. Hubbard and Randy will have him for lunch a few times and then he will get him a batwing. Hoist may post another 5K post about he will never have one but hell look at his track record here. At least 1500 post about keeping the warranty  and another 1500 about keeping it stock so does you really expect me to believe him when he says "No way you will see me on another FD"!

Hmmm, Good point. ;) ;D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2007, 11:39:09 AM »

dOOd

When the Electra Glide standards came out (remember them, maybe 1990, they had windshields not the batwing fairing) many years ago and then when Harley came up with the "less is more" introduction of the Road King a lot of my friends bought them. Many sold them and went back to the Ultra, Classic or standard (with batwing fairing) because of the handling. Hoist may be the poster child for R/K advocates but at speeds above 100 the E/G's have the advantage of better handling. 

::) ::) ::) ;D ;) Hoist! 8)

P.S. Hoist likes to make trouble too! ;)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

harlez4me

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2007, 12:54:25 PM »

I am going to ask the same question I asked at the Road King form and see if the full fairing riders can share any thoughts “Today I ordered a 08 SERK. I now have a 05 SE Eletraglide and had placed a deposit a month ago on my anticipated release of a SE Street glide. I have made up my mind to get a new bike and I do not want an Ultra so I changed my order to the SE Road king. I plan to sell/trade my 05 SE Eltraglide so I hope I am not making a mistake getting away from the batwing fairing but I NEVER listen to the radio and never cared for the additional weight carried so high because of the radio and fairing > Any thoughts?   

Getting back to your original question....... if you were hoping for a Street Glide, you were accepting the batwing in that choice. I have the 07 SECUSE and have basically made it a SE Street Glide. Take off the tour pack, put an HW amp in the batwing and change your windshield. Guess what......its a Street Glide with 2 extra (better looking) lights. And if you don't like the extra lighting, take them off.
If you do any type of long distance traveling, the batwing and all the creature comforts that come with it are hard to be without once you have had them. I also have a RK. Its fun to ride around on day trips and back and forth to work, but on a trip doing multiple days of back to back riding, you CAN'T BEAT THE BATWING.  :2vrolijk_21:

JD

evilroadking

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2007, 12:14:56 AM »

check out the attached

harlez4me

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2007, 08:15:38 AM »

check out the attached

Hey ERK,  thats some good reading...Thanks
JD

billt1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • NH

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2007, 08:49:55 AM »

Thank you everyone for your informative input. Someone mentioned earlier in this post that the SE Electra Glide road like a barn wagon. Yes it was a very disappointing ride but with guidance from this form I installed Progressive 440 shocks and our backs thank you.  I have been really torn with this decision because I have enjoyed the Electra Glide so much. I also enjoyed the more stripped down feeling I got from my 3 Heritage Softail Classics I had before this bike. I only keep a bike about 2 years so I am going to give the Road King a try. I really feel proud to have a CVO bike so the consideration to hop up a Street Glide is out. I have told the Harley dealer I will take the first CVO Road King available which happens to be a Black/Silver coming in 2 weeks. In a month or so I will let you guys know how it worked out for us. Thanks, Bill 

harlez4me

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2007, 09:49:07 AM »

Enjoy, it will be interesting to see what you are driving in 2 yrs ;)
JD

rlavigna

• Elite CVO Member
  • FKA: Rich07

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: '07 SERK (retired)
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2007, 09:59:58 AM »

check out the attached

Thanks for putting this here.  Good info.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2007, 01:01:48 PM »

Road King or Electra Glide ?  Why limit yourself to only two choices?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2007, 03:26:00 PM »

Road King or Electra Glide ?  Why limit yourself to only two choices?

Jerry

That's an awesome machine, Jerry.  Read about that one a year or so ago...would love to ride one, but then I'd just want it, so better not.  Maybe HD will wake up and capture some of that market share with a Revo based (or the new Buell motor) tourer/sport tourer.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2007, 04:22:45 PM »

Thank you everyone for your informative input. Someone mentioned earlier in this post that the SE Electra Glide road like a barn wagon. Yes it was a very disappointing ride but with guidance from this form I installed Progressive 440 shocks and our backs thank you.  I have been really torn with this decision because I have enjoyed the Electra Glide so much. I also enjoyed the more stripped down feeling I got from my 3 Heritage Softail Classics I had before this bike. I only keep a bike about 2 years so I am going to give the Road King a try. I really feel proud to have a CVO bike so the consideration to hop up a Street Glide is out. I have told the Harley dealer I will take the first CVO Road King available which happens to be a Black/Silver coming in 2 weeks. In a month or so I will let you guys know how it worked out for us. Thanks, Bill 

OOOOOOOOOO Black and Silver OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Salivate, salivate  :o
But on another note,

If we are to be given other options then my clear choice would be a,

Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 in silver of course!

Now there's an odd, funky somewhat rare (US anyway) machine.

Check it out,

www.motoguzzi-us.com

Add the free flowing mufflers and a power commander and it's look out Rhino! ;)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 04:32:46 PM by Silver-Black »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2007, 04:28:44 PM »

That's an awesome machine, Jerry.  Read about that one a year or so ago...would love to ride one, but then I'd just want it, so better not.  Maybe HD will wake up and capture some of that market share with a Revo based (or the new Buell motor) tourer/sport tourer.
Terry,

The thing that really sticks in my craw (always wanted to use that expression  ::)) is when you think about the technology that comes standard on the BMW, and the fact that German manufacturers have a cost disadvantage, and then compare features and prices with the offerings from H-D, it becomes even more obvious just how much the MoCo is screwing us.  I was looking at the 1200LT, which is their "equivalent" to the Ultra, and in terms of technology, standard equipment, and performance it totally blows the Ultra away.  Many of the items that Harley only includes on the CVO version come standard on the LT, with an MSRP of $21,700. 

Oh well, that's my "rant for the day". :soapbox:  Got to go out to the garage and turn some wrenches on my overpriced and underperforming Harley.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 25 queries.