Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: valve springs  (Read 12419 times)

redtwin

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: FXR-4
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
    • CVO3: 2010 ROADDGLIDE
valve springs
« on: July 14, 2007, 11:08:31 AM »

how much lift will stock springs handle?
will se 251 or 257 work with stock springs?
any info will be helpful

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: valve springs
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 02:37:27 PM »

Redtwin,

I haven't measure them yet, but based on the Stage2 kit released from Harley I did some back tracking and found that the heads on our bikes were in fact per harley spock and Tech the same heads.  The stage2 uses the 260 cam which has a .609 lift.   

Sorry wish it was better/measured information, but you know a .609 cam will work with your stock 07 110" CVO heads. 

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

evilroadking

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 03:25:11 PM »

The 2007 CVO heads are spec to .549 inch lift. You will need performance springs for those cams. You may want to wait, rumor has it, Screaming Eagle is coming out with a new performance head version for the 110's. Rumor also has it, they many not offer any performance parts for the 110's becuase of motor issues. Dont know what rumor to believe, but i think it is quite strange the 2008 Screaming Eagle catalog is not realsed yet. They normaly do this 1st week of july. My bet, no performance parts for the 110's

redtwin

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 04:02:23 PM »

that is a tight tolarence since the stock cam is .550,you would think they would go with a little more not less,zippers bolt in is a .575 lift and does not
need new springs

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 05:57:32 PM »

Redtwin,

If the information that evil states were correct as you eluded to above,  no one would have the clearances necessary to run the Zippers 575's or the Freedom cams or the SE 251 or the Bobby Woods cam 77.     

.575 lift Zippers
.579 lift SE 251
.569 lift Freedom

Evil,

They released a performance kit (110 stage2) and then obsoleted it as well as the 10.25 pistons, supposedly due to the EPA the surprising information though is that the heads in the stage2 kit are the heads on our bikes already.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 06:05:35 PM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 06:17:50 PM »

Here is the part number and description for the stage2 kit.   You can break down the heads from this kit
then break down your screaming eagle 110 motor and you will find with the help of SPOCK or TECH that the order part numbers are the EXACT SAME.   This is how I got the information.

http://www.hmhd.com/webstore/viewiteminfo.asp?sku=29931%2D07&PID=engine&PIDName=Kits+%26+Accessories&DID=Parts&Back=&aspname=viewprod

Screamin' Eagle® Pro 110 Cubic Inch Stage II Kit for EFI Models - Big displacement that gets results on the track. This race-use Stage II performance kit produces 110 cubic inches (1800cc) of unbridled performance that will keep you at the front of the pack. Fits 07 Twin Cam 96 models. Installation requires case boring. Professional installation recommended. 
29931-07

In-Stock:  Yes
Your Price: $2,295.00

Screamin' Eagle® Pro 110 Cubic Inch Stage II Kit for EFI Models

Big displacement that gets results on the track. This race-use Stage II performance kit produces 110 cubic inches (1800cc) of unbridled performance that will keep you at the front of the pack. The component-matched kit features CVO-style cylinder heads with automatic compression release and wiring harness, 4" big-bore cylinder, unique high-compression (10.5:1) 4" pistons, rings and pins, SE-260 high-lift cams, Screamin' Eagle® pushrods, and all required gaskets. Take advantage of the free-breathing heads and big displacement by adding a big bore throttle body, and a Screamin' Eagle® Heavy Breather or Screamin' Eagle® High Flow Air Cleaner kit (sold separately). Separate purchase of Cam Spacers is required. See service manual for proper procedure and Cam Spacer part numbers.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 07:51:35 PM »

Really not trying to be a wise azz, but a thought comes to mind:  With all the 110's sitting torn apart in dealerships around the country, it should be simple for someone to get their service department to actually measure a set of stock heads and get a "for real" figure. I'm with Harry on this one, just like we found with the 103 heads, the stock heads will most likely handle a lot more lift than the standard .550".

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 09:29:41 PM »

GRC you're onto something, all it will take is one guy to ask them to check it and it should be easy enough to do.  I just didn't think about doing it because I wasn't worried about the lift issues based on what spock and tech told me, so I never gave it another thought knowing I was good too 609 meant more than I was going to ever put on the 110".   I think when people actually look they will find clearance for 640 - 650 just like we found on the 103's heads.

One would think they would have to be at around 650 giving .040 clearance for the springs if you were using a 260 cam.

.609 + .040 = .649, but who knows we have found stranger sheet from Harley,

I guess someone will have them checked and let us know.

Hey Howie have your guy check them when he tears ya down for those juggs should be easy for him at that point.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 09:32:37 PM by Unbalanced »

redtwin

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 12:45:28 PM »

it is amazing that my dealer has not heard of this kit i am going to inform him of this on monday,they were going to do some checking on what cams the bike can handle

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 12:58:41 PM »

Redtwin,

If you already have a 110" motor you DON'T need the kit, you only would want to find/buy the Pistons/rings, 50mm throttlebody and cam of choice the heads and juggs in this kit are the same items already on YOUR 110".   If you don't have a 110" then the kit would be an upgrade from a 96/103", but does require cases to be bored to handle the larger cylinders.  Pistons 300.00, throttlebody 399.00 top end gasket kit, cam of choice 300-500, and cam cover gasket and your good to go unless you upgrade other components like lifters, rockers, oil pump, schim or spring and of course approx 10 hours of labor.

You can do a breakdown on the kit to find out the part numbers for the pistons or do a search here as I have posted the part number previously for those interested in them.   I have not checked lately to see if the part number ever got superceeded or if it was still a discontinued part.

For what it is worth no dealer I have visited has known about this kit.

-harry

redtwin

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 01:27:22 PM »

thanks for the info ,the big thing i was looking for was spring specs,since my dealer got half way into an install of the 251 andsiad i would need springs also,iwould also like pistons to but would like to stay se if possible,cam first then pistons and 50 mill tb

evilroadking

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 10:10:57 AM »

Unbalanced,,,, that get is a dealer specific kit, You won't find it in the 2007 Screaming Eagle Catalog. Please check out what you are posting a specfying, we dont want to misslead anyone.. K

Further more, I unerstand, (could be a rumor) but came from a large CA dealership service manager, 'If you are going to build a 110 inch, even in mild form, get rid of the Crank and bearings" He thinks the new 110's are somewhat corrected at the factory, but not sure, they have not been able to tear into one yet,, everytime somthing goes bad with em, the factory wants them back.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 11:21:44 AM »

Evilroadking,

This item was delivered after the catalog was released and was supposedly introduced at the dealer show in Orlando a few months back.  Supposedly it was then quickly obsoleted due to EPA restrictions, but there is no information for or against that rumor.   You will note that the when our 2004 / 2005 bikes were delivered that the catalogs readily had the stage2 kits already printed in it.   Maybe harley tried to slip something past the epa, who knows.

If you take the time to call your local dealer you will find it is a screaming eagle part number that YOU can order, but is pending obsolete at this time, so I did not check stock on it because those with 110's dont need the whole kit.  Now those with 96"s might be well interested, but if it were me in that situation I would most likely go 103 stage1,2 or 113 since I would have to bore the cases to go 110 or 113.

Just because it is not in the book does not mean it is not a screaming eagle part or that it is dealer only kit, as it is orderable.   If it were dealer only item "you" could not order it period.   The key here is that it is already pending obsolete and for reasons of REFERENCE I posted it for validation as a Harley Part number and kit, and so that people wishing to validate the information I had already stated could do so. 

What do they want to validate well that is that the heads on our bikes in a break down actually match the parts in the 110 stage2 kit which uses a .609 lift cam which is contrary to the information you posted.   The problem is when you break down the stage2 kit the heads have no part numbers to the right to verfiy what they are.   Since they have no part numbers you have to call spock and tech to get that information as it is not readily available.   Now once you talk to them you will find that the heads match the part numbers on our 110's and can be sold with or without hardware.   Now if the heads in the kit support a .609 lift one would think that .550 is wrong, just like harley posted on our 103 heads and they turned out to be .630/.640

And that is why I mentioned the parties necessary to speak with being Tech / Spock which only the dealer can call for you.

evilroadking

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 12:35:06 PM »

Unbalanced,

My bet, we wont see any 110 engine mod kits released from the Mo/Co due to issues with the 110 motors. I believe the rumor you state the kit was pulled at the last minute, I even believe the rumor I recently heard that the whole 2008 SE Catalog is put on release hold becasue the mo/co is going to remove all 110 inch mod kits.

Harely should start having JIMS build there motors. Im selling my 2007 FLHTCUSE as soon as the new motor is installed. I don't trust it and dont want to deal with it. I dont think the 110's are meant to modify and the factory is getting tough on that, whatch and see.

I just picked up an 2005 Ultra reallllll cheap. $12K in mint cond 3K miles. I Plan on maybe a JIMS or S&S 120 inch for this baby.

Screw these new Harleys,,, There a pain in the ARSE

redtwin

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 06:07:56 PM »

Dealer says i need valve springs for se 251,has anyone installed this cam with stock springs they are telling me that stock springs are only good
for 575 lift
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 20 queries.