Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: SYN 3 decree  (Read 6260 times)

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: SYN 3 decree
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2007, 09:04:16 PM »

Changed to the REDLINE Heavy Shockproof in the trany I can't tell much difference in the 07 spring the 95 FB seems to have quieted down. are you guys selling snake oil????? :o :o

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2007, 10:40:41 PM »

Changed to the REDLINE Heavy Shockproof in the trany I can't tell much difference in the 07 spring the 95 FB seems to have quieted down. are you guys selling snake oil????? :o :o

No, that would be the MoCo selling snake oil.  Skippy, the odds are that a simple lube change isn't going to eliminate the noise issue with the new Cruise Drive trans in 5th and 6th gears.  There are too many engineering issues with the design that create noise. The Redline can help when compared to the inferior SYN3, but it won't perform miracles.

Some of the members claim adding the new cush drive accessory to the rear wheel has helped quiet the trans as well as smooth out the powertrain at low speeds.  :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2007, 11:09:29 AM »

No, that would be the MoCo selling snake oil.  Skippy, the odds are that a simple lube change isn't going to eliminate the noise issue with the new Cruise Drive trans in 5th and 6th gears.  There are too many engineering issues with the design that create noise. The Redline can help when compared to the inferior SYN3, but it won't perform miracles.

Some of the members claim adding the new cush drive accessory to the rear wheel has helped quiet the trans as well as smooth out the powertrain at low speeds:nixweiss:

Jerry

I've read that on a couple of other forums as well...it is supposed to help, at least from those reports I've read, plus what the local SM told me when he test drove an 08.

Jerry....where are you finding your Mobil 1 now?  The place I was getting mine has quit handling it (for reasons unknown to the counter guys), and I've looked all over town to no avail.  I was able to find some Amsoil at one of the local Indy shops, so may just go with that.  It's six of one and half a dozen of the other between Amsoil and Mobil 1 anyway.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2007, 11:37:40 AM »

In my town Autozone carries Mobil1.

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2007, 02:07:34 PM »

I can get Mobil 1 Vtwin here or Purple something or other for motorcycles...which is better?  Mobile 1 is cheaper by about $3.  What else can I use besides Redline Heavy Shock Proof for the tranny (can't find that yet)?  I am over in Germany now and am not sure what I should use or what I can get my grubby hands on.  What are people using in the primary?

Seegarz :2vrolijk_21:

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2007, 02:25:19 PM »

Mobil1 is probably better, I have used Royal Purple in my differentials of 4X4 with limited slip, works great, but their oil has some additives that are the greatest for motor oil. Amsoil is good the trans, I think you can order it on-line, below is their ordering site, not sure about the UK.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/default.aspx?zo=5931

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2007, 04:54:16 PM »

.................................................Jerry....where are you finding your Mobil 1 now?  The place I was getting mine has quit handling it (for reasons unknown to the counter guys), and I've looked all over town to no avail.  I was able to find some Amsoil at one of the local Indy shops, so may just go with that.  It's six of one and half a dozen of the other between Amsoil and Mobil 1 anyway.
Terry,

I haven't purchased any so far this year (still finishing off the two cases I bought last year), but I've been buying mine at AutoZone.  They used to have it out with the rest of their oil, then I had to ask at the counter when they stopped putting it out on display.  Hopefully they still have it, but if not I'll probably just buy it online.  BTW - if you're on the road and need a quart, just use the 15W50 automotive oil if you can't find V-Twin.  That's what I used for years prior to Mobil coming out with the V-Twin.

I almost forgot this possible source.  I assume you have a Walmart somewhere close, since they seem to be almost as ubiquitous as Mickey-D's.  I have actually seen Mobil-1 V-Twin in the local Walmart, in a separate little motorcycle section near the auto section.  Worth a try.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2007, 05:06:01 PM »

Terry,

I haven't purchased any so far this year (still finishing off the two cases I bought last year), but I've been buying mine at AutoZone.  They used to have it out with the rest of their oil, then I had to ask at the counter when they stopped putting it out on display.  Hopefully they still have it, but if not I'll probably just buy it online.  BTW - if you're on the road and need a quart, just use the 15W50 automotive oil if you can't find V-Twin.  That's what I used for years prior to Mobil coming out with the V-Twin.

I almost forgot this possible source.  I assume you have a Walmart somewhere close, since they seem to be almost as ubiquitous as Mickey-D's.  I have actually seen Mobil-1 V-Twin in the local Walmart, in a separate little motorcycle section near the auto section.  Worth a try.

Jerry

Thanks, Jerry...I was getting it from Advanced Auto, but like I said, they quit handling it.  I called all the Wal Marks in town, but they all said they did not carry.  I'll walk in one of the Auto Zone stores myself and ask them for it.  Some of these places is like walking up to the HD parts counter...know what I mean, Vern?   ;)  I have at least found a local source for Amsoil and Redline products...the dumbasses at the local HD dealer decided they would not let their BEST parts guy finish his college degree working part time, so now he's working for a nice Indy shop, as I discovered quite by accident.  The only parts guy I trusted at HD to know what the hell I was asking for when I went in, and could actually produce it without winding his a$$ and scratching his watch for 20 minutes while my blood pressure goes up....

TTS Mastertune

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2007, 05:15:07 PM »

Thanks, Jerry...I was getting it from Advanced Auto, but like I said, they quit handling it.  I called all the Wal Marks in town, but they all said they did not carry.  I'll walk in one of the Auto Zone stores myself and ask them for it.  Some of these places is like walking up to the HD parts counter...know what I mean, Vern?   ;)  I have at least found a local source for Amsoil and Redline products...the dumbasses at the local HD dealer decided they would not let their BEST parts guy finish his college degree working part time, so now he's working for a nice Indy shop, as I discovered quite by accident.  The only parts guy I trusted at HD to know what the hell I was asking for when I went in, and could actually produce it without winding his a$$ and scratching his watch for 20 minutes while my blood pressure goes up....

Wow Terry, it sounds like we go to the same dealership.   :nervous:  It must be the HD new employee training that gives all of the parts guys that blank look on their face.   ???  ???  ???

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2007, 05:26:19 PM »

Wow Terry, it sounds like we go to the same dealership.   :nervous:  It must be the HD new employee training that gives all of the parts guys that blank look on their face.   ???  ???  ???

Yea, T...it's that nice slack-jawed look.  It's like you've just asked them what the meaning of life is or something...

I really shouldn't say this, but:  I don't know if you ever saw the Saturday Night Live skits with "Pat"?   Well we've got one at the local dealerships...I think it's a girl, but I'm really not sure... ;D

TTS Mastertune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2007, 05:38:20 PM »

I can get Mobil 1 Vtwin here or Purple something or other for motorcycles...which is better?  Mobile 1 is cheaper by about $3.  What else can I use besides Redline Heavy Shock Proof for the tranny (can't find that yet)?  I am over in Germany now and am not sure what I should use or what I can get my grubby hands on.  What are people using in the primary?

Seegarz :2vrolijk_21:
Seegarz,

I'm attaching the overall results page from a motorcycle oil test performed in March of '06 (the entire file is too big to post here).  Royal Purple is ranked 8th of the oils tested, Amsoil is #1 and Mobil-1 V-Twin is #2.  In reality, any of the oils listed will give satisfactory service, but if you're looking for the best readily available product it would be Mobil-1.  Amsoil tests a little better, but isn't the easiest stuff to find.

You can use Amsoil or Mobil-1 in the trans just like SYN3 - note that the gear wear test results for all three are excellent.  If you are like me and prefer a dedicated gear lube, I can recommend Mobil-1 Synthetic Gear Lube 75W90 or 75W140 if you can't find the Redline Shockproof Heavy.  I've also used the Golden Spectro 75W140 in the past, often found at Honda and Yamaha shops.

As for the primary, as long as what you use is compatible with a wet clutch, it really doesn't matter.  All you're doing is lubricating the primary chain and cooling the clutch.  I've used the separate primary oil H-D used to sell, the Formula+ they sell now, the original SYN3 in my SEEG, and Mobil-1 V-Twin.  No noticeable difference with any of the above.  In an effort to cut down on the number of different lubes on the shelf, I personally plan to use Mobil-1 V-Twin in the primary as well as the engine from now on, and continue with the Redline in the trans.

Jerry

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2007, 07:17:44 PM »

I use Redline in all 3 holes (3 different products) and the 20W50 Redline isn't even in Jerry's list.  Now Redline has two 20W50's available.  One for automotive and the latest I purchased for air cooled vtwins.
The Vtwin 20W50 is more money.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2007, 11:08:12 PM »

Guess I'm fortunate but the parts guys (and gal) at both Bumpus stores are pretty sharp.  Never stumped any of them and believe me I've tried!  It's so nice to be spoiled.  Now if only they and the techs could permanetly fix this leaking head gasket problem I'd be totally bored with nothing to complain / worry about.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2007, 01:54:55 PM »

Seegarz,

I'm attaching the overall results page from a motorcycle oil test performed in March of '06 (the entire file is too big to post here).  Royal Purple is ranked 8th of the oils tested, Amsoil is #1 and Mobil-1 V-Twin is #2.  In reality, any of the oils listed will give satisfactory service, but if you're looking for the best readily available product it would be Mobil-1.  Amsoil tests a little better, but isn't the easiest stuff to find.

You can use Amsoil or Mobil-1 in the trans just like SYN3 - note that the gear wear test results for all three are excellent.  If you are like me and prefer a dedicated gear lube, I can recommend Mobil-1 Synthetic Gear Lube 75W90 or 75W140 if you can't find the Redline Shockproof Heavy.  I've also used the Golden Spectro 75W140 in the past, often found at Honda and Yamaha shops.

As for the primary, as long as what you use is compatible with a wet clutch, it really doesn't matter.  All you're doing is lubricating the primary chain and cooling the clutch.  I've used the separate primary oil H-D used to sell, the Formula+ they sell now, the original SYN3 in my SEEG, and Mobil-1 V-Twin.  No noticeable difference with any of the above.  In an effort to cut down on the number of different lubes on the shelf, I personally plan to use Mobil-1 V-Twin in the primary as well as the engine from now on, and continue with the Redline in the trans.

Jerry

Thanx again for schooling my primitive mind.  I will see what I can do locally the USPS doesn't mind shipping seegarz too much but they really frown on mailing petroleum products...something to do with being flammable or some such rediculuous thing. :confused5: :huepfenlol2:

Seegarz :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2007, 10:44:19 AM »

Guys it really does not make a difference which oil you use. The most important issue is to change oil every 2500 miles and choose the correct viscosity of oil for you temperature you are in. Proper warm up is critical for longevity of the engine. This has work for me for over 30,000 hours operating air cooled engines both in the air and on the ground.
No problems yet. When oil turns dark get it out of there.

I disagree, when I put Amsoil in my bike it ran cooler, and sounded better.  When I changed the bike's tranny fluid to Amsoil SVG it shifted smoother and was MUCH quieter.  I agree you need to change regularly, but you need to use good filters.  If I changed the oil on my Dodge Cummins truck when it turned black that would be every 50 miles.  You cannot look at oil and tell anything about it.  I do samples on the truck and the Durango and usually change about once a year which is about 15-20 thousand miles.
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 21 queries.