Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: 110 Motors  (Read 22341 times)

johnnymap

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5

• CVO1: 2010 Burnt Amber/Citrus
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG Two Tone Red
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG BWO
Re: 110 Motors
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2007, 09:21:21 AM »

My 07 went in yesterday for the second round of gaskets.  2200 miles after the first.  Tech was talking like replacing the jugs.  Leaking seems to be worse this time.

Regarding the crank run out problems, did anyone notice any vibration at speed out of the ordinary?  It seems this bike has some vibration at 65-75 not related to tire blancing.  Could this be a sysmptom of the crank problem?  Also what is the acceptable tolerance for the run out?  I believe I am going to request them to check the crank.  Bike was built in Dec 06, not real early, but maybe earlier enough.

Thanks,

john
"The past is a place to be remembered, but not a place to dwell"

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2007, 09:24:08 AM »

Mine had bad vibration at about 4,000 rpm's so they replaced it.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

johnnymap

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2007, 07:06:45 PM »

Talked to the tech today.  Told him about the vibration that I was feeling.  Asked him about the runout.  Told him about what I had learned on this site about the run out problems with the 110.  He said he was going to check it out and let me know.  He said third time inside this motor is not right.  I think he is on my side. 

john

vtrod

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2007, 06:38:40 PM »

John, I had always had a vibration in 5th & 6th gears on my 07 seuc, installed the new isolated drive sprocket,
completely eleminated the vibration. It was a $300 gamble, but it worked out, bike is now a joy to ride.

johnnymap

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2007, 06:55:59 PM »

Vtrod, thanks, I have been reading on the site about that.  My thinking was since they were into the bike for the second time and the tech was talking about replacing the jugs, I jus thought I would mention what I was feeling through the bars.  Told him about the crank run out and he said we should take a look.  If they don't change the motor or find the vibration, I might put that system on.  Everyone seems to satisfied with it.  HD should do it for us at their cost.

This is the third time they have been in the motor.  Not to mention the down time.  I know that I am not the only one in this boat.  But damn it, the boat is getting crowded.

A buddy of mine is waiting on a 08 UCSE anniversary that has been pushed back to November.  I told him that I don't think I would do it because we are just testing these things.  He said he doesn't want to miss out on the fun.  He is trading in an 05 Cherry SE.  I told him yesterday, that he is trading in a better bike than he is buying.  Oh well, the deal is not done yet.

john

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2007, 07:55:47 PM »

Vtrod, thanks, I have been reading on the site about that.  My thinking was since they were into the bike for the second time and the tech was talking about replacing the jugs, I jus thought I would mention what I was feeling through the bars.  Told him about the crank run out and he said we should take a look.  If they don't change the motor or find the vibration, I might put that system on.  Everyone seems to satisfied with it.  HD should do it for us at their cost.

This is the third time they have been in the motor.  Not to mention the down time.  I know that I am not the only one in this boat.  But damn it, the boat is getting crowded.

A buddy of mine is waiting on a 08 UCSE anniversary that has been pushed back to November.  I told him that I don't think I would do it because we are just testing these things.  He said he doesn't want to miss out on the fun.  He is trading in an 05 Cherry SE.  I told him yesterday, that he is trading in a better bike than he is buying.  Oh well, the deal is not done yet.

john

They should install wingnuts, or zippers (not the thundermax kind)

:nervous:
Any day on the bike is a good day.

sfarson

• On a Ride
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSE3

• CVO1: 2007 FLHRSE3
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2007, 02:04:08 AM »

No issues with the 110" powering an '07 SERK here.  Not a disaster at all for me.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2007, 07:41:19 AM »

No issues with the 110" powering an '07 SERK here.  Not a disaster at all for me.

sfarson,

That's great to hear. I hope you continue to have great luck with it.  ;D

:indian_chief:

twojay

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2007, 09:09:43 AM »

I had no problems either until 7600 miles. How many do you have on yours? Also, I truly hope your "good luck" continues.

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2007, 11:45:33 AM »

To follow on from another thread, I have 3 questions:-

a.   When a 110 engine breaks down is it worth changing it (may be for a few dollars more) to something that works, for example - an S&S, TP, Jims or Zippers motor of equivalent stature 110/120cu ins

b.   Has anyone done this before?

c.   Are all motors compatible with the Harley setups i.e. frame, oil cooler etc.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2007, 12:06:00 PM »

a.   When a 110 engine breaks down is it worth changing it (may be for a few dollars more) to something that works, for example - an S&S, TP, Jims or Zippers motor of equivalent stature 110/120cu ins

c.   Are all motors compatible with the Harley setups i.e. frame, oil cooler etc.

Smiler

Answers to your question are very subjective,

Question A
Is the engine stock and under warranty, if yes then for the money invested then you are better off just getting it fixed.
If it's out of warranty (either thru time or modifications) then changing out is a consideration. It depends on what you mean by "break down". Is it parts scattered all over the highway then yes, get you another motor. If it needs rings then just rebuild it.

Question B

Try Geezer Glide, Factory Phil, Pete 4854, they all have had good luck changing out their motor.

Question C

not all motors are compatable with all Harley frames. That should be the first question you ask before you even consider a change. I know the Jim's motors will fit in a FL frame and I have a friend with a 124 S&S t/c in a street glide. So ask before you commit.

Hope this helps!

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2007, 04:29:51 PM »

Well, to answre your question for real, there are no replacement engines for your '07 110" except thru HD! Your choice is another 110, or possibly a Jims, which must be bought thru HD. Believe me, I'm going down this road right now, and have exhausted all options. I'm buying new HD cases, which can only be purchased by exchanging your original ones. It will have my original VIN stamped on it. Then you can build a motor around those cases. I'm using S&S Forged flywheels w/rods, gear drive cams, and the racing quality parts I previously used on the top end, which was too difficult for the dealer to assemble, without screwing it up. Which they did!

So until an aftermarket company gets around HD's patents on the '07/'08 design, and offers cases/engines for replacement on an '07/'08. You're stuck with HD. But the cases are all you need to get around using their junk parts in the 110" engine. I continue to claim that this is not rocket science. But HD's got us by the balls with their current design. So you have to build an engine frrom scratch, not buy one! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2007, 04:52:13 PM »

Smiler,

I agree with Chip's (Silver-Black) response.  Another point is that changing the engine out completely will be for much more than "a few dollars more", since the MoCo isn't going to contribute anything toward replacing the engine with a non-Harley engine.  You could have Harley replace the engine with another TC110, then replace it yourself with the engine of your choice while trying to sell the TC110 to offset some of the cost.  The trick with that would be finding someone who would be willing to buy your TC110 engine.  Knowledgeable folks either wouldn't want it, or would take it only at a ridiculously low price.  Think about it - why would anyone who knows about the issues want to buy an engine with no warranty and a much higher than normal failure rate?

Unfortunately, there is no easy answer for the current engine dilemma.  Once the warranty is gone (for whatever reason), the first time you have a major failure I would sell it as a boat anchor and buy something else.  And don't expect to get much for it as a boat anchor either, since it really isn't all that heavy.

Jerry

PS:  Didn't see Howie's response until after I posted.  This whole TC110 thing is even more of a joke (not the funny kind either) if none of the aftermarket engine folks have anything that will fit an '07 or later frame. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 04:59:33 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2007, 05:06:40 PM »

Smiler,

I agree with Chip's (Silver-Black) response.  Another point is that changing the engine out completely will be for much more than "a few dollars more", since the MoCo isn't going to contribute anything toward replacing the engine with a non-Harley engine.  You could have Harley replace the engine with another TC110, then replace it yourself with the engine of your choice while trying to sell the TC110 to offset some of the cost.  The trick with that would be finding someone who would be willing to buy your TC110 engine.  Knowledgeable folks either wouldn't want it, or would take it only at a ridiculously low price.  Think about it - why would anyone who knows about the issues want to buy an engine with no warranty and a much higher than normal failure rate?

Unfortunately, there is no easy answer for the current engine dilemma.  Once the warranty is gone (for whatever reason), the first time you have a major failure I would sell it as a boat anchor and buy something else.  And don't expect to get much for it as a boat anchor either, since it really isn't all that heavy.

Jerry

PS:  Didn't see Howie's response until after I posted.  This whole TC110 thing is even more of a joke (not the funny kind either) if none of the aftermarket engine folks have anything that will fit an '07 or later frame

That's a fact Jerry. Just did all the research my self because I planned to do exactly that. What an eye opener. That's why I bought new HD cases and am building my own aftermarket engine with their cases! :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2007, 05:13:31 PM »

EPA strikes again :-*
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 24 queries.