Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Latest from Harley on the lack of Inventory  (Read 13514 times)

deucedog

Re: Latest from Harley on the lack of Inventory
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 05:59:03 PM »

I do have a question to some of the guy's on  here who are always belly aching about the prices of the new bikes ...whats the difference between a dealer who makes a large investement in a product and trys to get a maximum return on his money AND a guy who buys a new bike but when hes ready to sell or trade it wanting to get the maximum value back for it ...seems to me to be the same intention ....Im  just curious on this end ...enlightn me...just like someone said "I hope there is a shotage on inventory so they get hard to find and I can sell mine" ....why not sell it now? ...Im sure its because you want it to bring as much as it can and I can't blame you..and I am SURE you will tell the prospective buyer about your two oil leaks BEFORE he buy's it ...

Bubba

Bubba, I am sure your intentions are good, but frankly, many of us are just plain tired of the all games.  Too many bikes, now shortages and not enough bikes, over MSRP, added Chrome to pad the prices, mechanical issues, over heating, etc. It just seems like one darn thing after another and we're all burning out (sorry for the pun).  And worse, these are the most expensive bikes around at $30-40K per copy. 

How much Kool-Aid are we supposed to keep drinking?  I like the bikes, the chit-chat and the whole Harley experience just like the next guy, but it's really time that MoCo gets these bikes running properly and thinks of the buyer first.  A little customer focus will go a long way.  That's all we're asking for.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2007, 06:14:19 PM »

There were way too many 07's left on the showroom floors when the 08's were introduced.  They, the MoCo, will put out the word that they are reducing production, which will drive up demand, because there now will be a perceived shortage of new HD motorcycles, which will play right into the hands of the already price-gouging dealers out there.  Simple bottom line business.

Business 101 to be sure, but not a healthy way to run a business IMHO.  :nixweiss:
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »

Now this bait you just threw out was it power bait, worms or a dry fly. 

LOL ROAR ..... I just call'em like I see'em ..... kinda like the old saying "if the shoe fits"

Bubba
" Why Johnny Ringo ...you look like somone just ..walked across your grave"

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2007, 06:48:48 PM »

Business 101 to be sure, but not a healthy way to run a business IMHO.  :nixweiss:

Define "healthy" ...I cant imagine many companys being anymore "healthy" then Harley-Davidson  :nixweiss:

Bubba

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 07:03:44 PM »

I got mine, I like mine a lot, I'm gonna keep mine, prices go up, inventory goes down, prices go up higher. I got mine.

Rides2007Harley

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2007, 07:47:19 PM »

Harley-Davidson is not any different than any other stock owned company, it is all about profits and losses.  Sure they want to keep their customers happy just like Dell, GM or Nabisco but bottom line is the bottom line.  If there is excessive inventory you cut back production, simple economics.

They preach family and all that other crap but in the end you are buying a product they supply and if you don't feel the product is worth the asking price simply walk away.  Hopefully others will feel the same way you do and if that happens the supply will exceed the demand and changes will occur or the price will drop.  In the last 15 years if a person has walked away some new person has stepped in.  Will that trend continue, I believe so.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2007, 09:09:27 PM »

Bubba,
I have a hard time feeling sorry for the dealerships.  When you stated that you gotta feed the family, that reminded me of the pro basketball player that demanded he get paid more than $12 Million a year cuz he had a wife and family to feed.  I understand dealerships have overhead and such, but let's face it, you turn a tidy profit on the motorcycles, just by selling at MSRP.  (What is it 18%?)  And how about motorclothes and accessories.  I'm sure there's a real healthy profit in that area.  So it's kind of hard to feel sorry.   :P  But I do appreciate you sharing some of the info that you got from the MoCo. 
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2007, 09:10:11 PM »

I got mine, I like mine a lot, I'm gonna keep mine, prices go up, inventory goes down, prices go up higher. I got mine.

I'm with Screamin..  The MOCO hasn't made a bike in the last 3 years that I would sell/trade for.  I hate hearing the 06 paint problems and the 07-08 110 problems and hope you guys get the problems worked out.  I wouldn't go thru the hassell.

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2007, 09:32:10 PM »

Bubba,
I have a hard time feeling sorry for the dealerships.  When you stated that you gotta feed the family, that reminded me of the pro basketball player that demanded he get paid more than $12 Million a year cuz he had a wife and family to feed.  I understand dealerships have overhead and such, but let's face it, you turn a tidy profit on the motorcycles, just by selling at MSRP.  (What is it 18%?)  And how about motorclothes and accessories.  I'm sure there's a real healthy profit in that area.  So it's kind of hard to feel sorry.   :P  But I do appreciate you sharing some of the info that you got from the MoCo. 
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

RD with all due respect weather it is 18% or 80% its guys like you that continue to pay the price ...you fuel the fire ..for whatever reason we keep building them and you keep buying them ..generally when that continues to happen its because the customer feels he is getting the value for the money he is spending ...you talk about mark up ....we have more profit margin on CVOs then any other bike BUT you continue to buy them ..WHY? As for having a hard time feeling sorry for the dealer I am sure the guy who cut your lawn today or washed your car doesnt feel sorry for you when he sees that CVO sitting in your drive way ... My point is that the dealer nor the MoCo holds a shotgun on you to buy their product ...you make that decesion on your own ...remember when you point a finger at the dealer or MoCo you have 3 pointing right back at you ... I know we have some quality control problems right now but not as much as when AMF owned the company ..and a lot of the problems are due to EPA ....now I understand thats no concellation but the truth is the truth ...the great thing about it is you can either wait to buy one when you feel the bugs are worked out ..or you can ride what you have ..or switch brands ..its YOUR money ... when I say YOU RD I do not mean YOU directly ..its a general term ...with all due respect.

Bubba
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 09:43:18 PM by KentuckyHarleyDude »

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2007, 09:39:09 PM »

RD with all due respect wether it is 18% or 80% its guys like you that continue to pay the price ...you fuel the fire ..for whatever reason we keep building them and you keep buying them ..generally when that contiues to happen its because the customer feels he is getting the value for the money he is spending ...you talk about mark up ....we have more profit marging on CVOs then any other bike BUT you continue to buy them ..WHY? As for having a hard time feeling sorry for the dealer I am sure the guy who cut your lawn today or washed your car doesnt feel sorry for you when he sees that CVO sitting in your drive way ... My point is that the dealer nor the MoCo holds a shotgun on you to buy their product ...you make that decesion on your own ...remember when you point a finger at the dealer or MoCo you have 3 pointing right back at you ...with all due respect.

Bubba

Damn Bubba!
Now that's a good post.
It's a real shame your post is so accurate.
But I appreciate you calling it like it is!

S
  /
    B

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2007, 09:44:55 PM »

RD with all due respect weather it is 18% or 80% its guys like you that continue to pay the price ...you fuel the fire ..for whatever reason we keep building them and you keep buying them ..generally when that continues to happen its because the customer feels he is getting the value for the money he is spending ...you talk about mark up ....we have more profit margin on CVOs then any other bike BUT you continue to buy them ..WHY? As for having a hard time feeling sorry for the dealer I am sure the guy who cut your lawn today or washed your car doesnt feel sorry for you when he sees that CVO sitting in your drive way ... My point is that the dealer nor the MoCo holds a shotgun on you to buy their product ...you make that decesion on your own ...remember when you point a finger at the dealer or MoCo you have 3 pointing right back at you ... I know we have some quality control problems right now but not as much as when AMF owned the company ..and a lot of the problems are die to EPA ....now I understand thats no concellation but the truth is the truth ...the great thing about it is you can either wait to buy one when you feel the bugs are worked out ..or you can ride what you have ..or switch brands ..its YOUR money ... when I say YOU RD I do not mean YOU i directly ..its a general term ...with all due respect.

Bubba

Good post Bubba. That's what makes this country so great. We have choices. My only problem is the way the MoCo breaks our b@lls about fixing the things they can't, and then holding that against us. I love my HD. Wouldn't ride anything else. Love hanging out at a good dealer's shop. But not too thrilled with the MoCo these days. Neither are most employees I talk to either! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2007, 09:56:25 PM »

Good post Bubba. That's what makes this country so great. We have choices. My only problem is the way the MoCo breaks our b@lls about fixing the things they can't, and then holding that against us. I love my HD. Wouldn't ride anything else. Love hanging out at a good dealer's shop. But not too thrilled with the MoCo these days. Neither are most employees I talk to either! ;)
Hoist! 8)

Hoist

I have to ask you about that one.

You talking about H/D employees proper or employees of a dealership selling H/D's?
 :nixweiss:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2007, 09:58:29 PM »

Hoist

I have to ask you about that one.

You talking about H/D employees proper or employees of a dealership selling H/D's?
 :nixweiss:

I don't know many HD factory guys. I'm specifically talking about dealer employees. They're as frustrated as we are! ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2007, 10:01:08 PM »

HOIST TO BE HONEST ...BEING ON THE RETAIL END OF THE COMPANY I AM A LITTLE MIFFED AT THE MOCO MYSELF ...I HAVE VERY LITTLE PRODUCT TO SELL ...I AM UMINFORMED AS TO WHY WE ARE NOT RECEIVING MORE PRODUCT ...AND BECAUSE I AM UNINFORMED IT MAKE ME LOOK INCOMPETENT TO OUR CUSTOMERS .... BUT YOU KNOW WHAT ..WHEN YOU TAKE EVERYTHING IN PERSPECTIVE IT BEATS LAYING ASPHALT ... I KNOW THAT IT GETS FRUSTRATING TRYING TO GET SOME WARRANTY ISSUES TAKEN CARE OF BUT I CAN ASSURE THAT IS NOT THE FAULT OF THE DEALER IN MOST CASES BUT THE MOCO ...I HAVE TO FIGHT WITH THEM EVERYDAY ...BUT THEN THERE ARE TIMES WHEN THEY WARRANTY SOMETHING THAT I NEVER THOUGHT THEY WOULD ...GUESS ITS JUST THE "HUMAN" FACTOR ....

BUBBA

« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 10:03:15 PM by KentuckyHarleyDude »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2007, 10:05:31 PM »

HOIST TO BE HONEST ...BEING ON THE RETAIL END OF THE COMPANY I AM A LITTLE MIFFED AT THE MOCO MYSELF ...I HAVE VERY LITTLE PRODUCT TO SELL ...I AM UMINFORMED AS TO WHY WE ARE NOT RECEIVING MORE PRODUCT ...AND BECAUSE I AM UNINFORMED IT MAKE ME LOOK INCOMPETENT TO OUR CUSTOMERS .... BUT YOU KNOW WHAT ..WHEN YOU TAKE EVERYTHING IN PERSPECTIVE IT BEATS LAYING ASPHALT ... I KNOW THAT IT GETS FRUSTRATING TRYING TO GET SOME WARRANTY ISSUES TAKEN CARE OF BUT I CAN ASSURE THAT IS NOT THE FAULT OF THE DEALER IN MOST CASES BUT THE MOCO ...I HAVE TO FIGHT WITH THEM EVERYDAY ...BUT THEN TERE ARE TIMES WHEN THEY WARRANTY SOMETHING THAT I NEVER THOUGHT THEY WOULD ...GUESS UTS JUST THE "HUMAN" FACTOR ....

BUBBA

I agree 100% Bubba! My dealer goes out of his way to help me. He can't believe all the problems we see on these things. And the MoCo doesn't tell them, or admit to these problems either. He calls me to find out a problem because he knows we have a better handle on it than they do.

I'm so fortunate I found this Forum. It allows me to have a excellent relationship with my dealer because he knows I'm rarely wrong about something and have become a valuable resource to him! This site rules!!! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 20 queries.