Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Why buy any SE-110 bike ??  (Read 6342 times)

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
  • Non Riding for the moment!!
Re: Why buy any SE-bike ??
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2007, 09:05:36 AM »

Mike,

My reasoning for going with a CVO versus a regular model was based on one major consideration that had nothing to do with chrome, paint, or any other "visual" factor.  I was looking for a bagger, and based on my previous experience with a TC88 in a Dyna I knew the engine would not provide acceptable (to me) performance in a bike weighing an additional 200 lbs., especially after adding a passenger and gear.  I personally like to keep the internals of my engines stock, since having major engine modifications done seems to be a crap shoot around here and above all I was looking for reliability.  I certainly would not have any local dealer touch it, I don't have any of the highly respected speed shops close by, and I knew that even though I have the mechanical ability to do it myself I wouldn't ever get around to it.  It just seemed so much better to buy the bike with the stronger engine already in place, with a full factory warranty as a bonus.

Well, I'll try to make this short and sweet to avoid boring you.  As things turned out, I (and many others from what I see on this site) would have been better off just buying the standard bike and taking my chances with the engine mods.  I had problems with the "factory assembled" engine on the initial ride home from the dealership, and things went downhill from there.  The difference in quality between this bike and the standard model Dyna I traded in was like night to day, in all areas (powertrain, paint, electrical, etc.), with the standard model far outshining the CVO in quality.

If I were able to do it over again, I'd buy the solid black Ultra I was considering at the time and just add the bits and pieces I really want.  The first winter I'd either build the engine up myself or more likely crate it up and ship it to one of the reputable builders for an infusion of power and reliability.  And when all was said and done I'd probably be much happier with both my bike and with the MoCo.  To me, the CVO experience has been a real eye opener with regard to the way the MoCo does business, and I'm not impressed.

Jerry
I would of done the same thing, the only differance, I was able to talk to a few people before I bought one and they opened my eyes to the issues of the new ones and I got lucky to learn about the issues before I bought it!! Alot of people don't know about some of the issues that they are having and go out and spend big $$$ and get upset later because they have to keep bringing it in for service or ride HOT all the time!! :nixweiss:

Talk at ya later
                                                                       MIKE :coolblue:

By the way, did you get everything worked out
on your bike??

« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 09:07:18 AM by SirMichael103 »

hogasm

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 09:10:50 AM »

Mike the reason I did it was:

so the chrome would peel
so the paint would peel
so the motor would lead oil
so it would blow head gaskets
so a high speed wobble would be there
so the MOCO would tell me that it's my fault and to,in other words, live with it
sorry if any are left out!!!

Just felt that if a SE bike was purchased it would look better in the dealerships shop than in my garage....make any sense :coolblue:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 09:45:45 AM »

There were several things that swayed me in buying a CVO, but as you stated a lot of them could have been added after purchase of a regular model H-D. However a lot of the things that were on the bike I would have eventually added, and putting them on after purchase would have been a lot more expensive. I had a friend who purchased an '03 SERK and I looked in the P/A catalog to price all the things that came stock on a CVO and added that to the price of a regular RK and there was a big difference in final price. I also added a lot of other things, and still have more I would like to add. I think the percentage of people that buy a Harley and don't do any mods during the time they own their bike would be really low.

Fortunately the model CVO I purchased ('04 SEEG) didn't have the motor problems that the 110ci motors are having, and I didn't have some of the problems that other '04 SEEG owners had. The few minor issues I had were a leak around the bleeder valve for the hydraulic clutch (fixed first time to shop), orange "Screamin' Eagle" script peeling off derby cover (new one ordered/replaced), and tourpak rack cracking (new one ordered/replaced).

I have done motor mods to my bike and have ridden it in 20+ states and it hasn't let me down.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2007, 09:53:46 AM »

my SERK is the only true H-D i have ever owned. i bought a frame up softail before my SERK because none of the production softails "spoke" to me. my SERK is the only H-D to this day that "spoke" to me.....
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2007, 09:58:02 AM »

I look at the CVO bikes as a great starting point. In my opinion, they are by no means finished and there is plenty of room to make it your own through further customization. Even if you leave the CVO bikes stock, they are a custom bike. I have spent much more money customizing my 06' Road King than it would have cost me to buy a SERK and customize it...and I still have to upgrade my engine.

twincam

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2007, 12:09:42 PM »

I am buying my first CVO bike hopefully this month or early next month (waiting for my ordered bike).  I have own 3 non-CVO bikes and have sold them all privately over the last year to put towards my new CVO Ultra.  Why?  Aside from just liking and always wanting one, by the time I got done adding all of the accessories, whether functional, i.e. heated grips, or cosmetic, and that list is endless to a stock bike, I figured I could have had a CVO factory bike and a bigger engine to boot.

I think if you like the stuff CVO does to the bike, it's a pretty good deal when you pencil it out, and you have the added plus of it being a "bone stock" custom bike.  And besides, they look pretty cool...at the end of the day, it's a personal thing, and you buy what makes you happy, good luck!

what he said!!!! put a pencil to all the extra's..... you come out better in $ values. then you get to spend all the rest of your money on other ocd!!!

Cerdo

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2007, 02:55:30 PM »

My first HD was a 1995 Bad boy, kept it three years and almost couldn't give it away. Second HD was a 2004 Heritage and I tricked it out with a ton of extras and California Kid paint set (awesome bike). Fell in love with a Charcoal / Crimson 2006 SEUC and tried to sell the 04, had to let it go and lost over $12K (sold it to my brother instead of letting it out of the family).  Purchased the 06 SEUC and after one year and 11K on the clock , I traded the 06 it in for $2400 less than I paid for it on the new 07 SEUC when the new engine and trans came out.  Now I'm trading in the 07 on the 08 and loosing only $3K on the deal after another year and $10k miles. In my opinion, I would add all of that stuff (and then some) to a stock bike and never recoup any of the money. Buying an SE bike does keep the resale value up and by upgrading every year I stay even with depreciation. If you're like me and like having the best and riding new scoots all of the time; I don't mind the investment every year. If it wasn't for the five really nice changes to the 08's I would have kept the 07, it really has been a great bike.  Cerdo
Andy

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2007, 08:02:41 PM »

Mike the reason I did it was:

so the chrome would peel
so the paint would peel
so the motor would lead oil
so it would blow head gaskets
so a high speed wobble would be there
so the MOCO would tell me that it's my fault and to,in other words, live with it
sorry if any are left out!!!

Just felt that if a SE bike was purchased it would look better in the dealerships shop than in my garage....make any sense :coolblue:
  Makes sense to me!! :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2007, 09:53:37 PM »

I bought my 2000 serg for several reasons, First reason was that this bike was the first of the screamin eagle series. I knew when i bought it 2000 that I was buying piece of Harley history, I also new that bike would retain much more value as the years go by. The bike was their first higher preformance engine and it was done chrome and silver (I was over the black and silver engines), The bike was done in the factory race colors, with love it or hate it graphics, In the years i have owned this bike, I have vascilated from loving the styling to hating it and back again, This was the first bike I have actually taken some chrome off and replaced the parts with black peices, Now some 8 years later I still love the bike, I'm glad that they didnt make a roadglide SE this year as I would have probably had to buy one, that would have required me to seel the 2000 and fatboy also . So I guess if I had explain any further you just wouldnt understand....they only produced approxx 775 of my model , making a fairly rare bird indeed. I'm sure there are now lees that number in exsistence, The bike was purchased on march 7 2000....with 50 miles on the clock...my wife and I rode it up to Daytona for bikeweek...I only saw one other ...the whole week...we drew a huge crowd where ever we parked the bike, and isnt that part of reason we all put so much into our bikes?...cause we're show off's...jmo.... :orange:
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2007, 09:55:16 PM »

oh yeah...by the way Sirmicheal103....your bike may be faster...but you will never beat a screamin eagle for the wow factor :orange:
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2007, 10:02:09 PM »

screem,
It was because of your bike that made me want to one day get a SE. Couldn't get a '00 SERG so I had to wait until the MoCo came back out w/something close to that color combo. I was lucky that in '04 they came back w/the :pumpkin: and I was lucky enough to get one. I love the way they put the eagle on the fairings of the SERG. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

REGGAB

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2007, 11:29:32 PM »

Something about the melon just GRABBED me and kept shakin'.  Had to have one.  I really like my 02 Ultra and STILL miss it to this day, but that melon.....WOW!  All that hype was deflated shortly after I bought it.  The paint was awful.  Went to hell and back, twice, to get it fixed.  Just like the 02 Ultra, I'm constantly doing stuff to it.  Heck, it is spread out in pieces all over Red's shop having the motor built up right now.  In my mind, the 06 bikes were the last of the true "rider friendly" bikes.  It is highly unlikely I'll ever own a newer bike.  I'll own more bikes, but none newer than 2006.  I learned a big lesson with the 02 Ultra................I'm keeping the melon.

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2007, 11:32:16 PM »

oh yeah...by the way Sirmicheal103....your bike may be faster...but you will never beat a screamin eagle for the wow factor :orange:
All you guys have the 103 SE bikes, sure those were cool, especially the cool colors, like yellow, orange, and the purple ones!!  :2vrolijk_21:
 I am talking about the newer 110's, Where is the WOW factor in the 110's that over heat, leak, and the paint falls off!!

WOW :confused5: :confused5:

REGGAB

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2007, 11:37:45 PM »

All you guys have the 103 SE bikes, sure those were cool, especially the cool colors, like yellow, orange, and the purple ones!!  :2vrolijk_21:
 I am talking about the newer 110's, Where is the WOW factor in the 110's that over heat, leak, and the paint falls off!!

WOW :confused5: :confused5:

I'm with ya dude.  Three reasons why I won't own anything newer than than a 2006.

SirMichael

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2007, 11:55:27 PM »

I'm with ya dude.  Three reasons why I won't own anything newer than than a 2006.
I just sold an 07 roadking (don't know why) and I just bought an 07 ultra, I am going to do some motor mods to it and some chrome extras. Thats all I need!! :2vrolijk_21: The 07's run good, I havn't had any problems with the 07's 96 motor, it ran really good as the 103, thats why I am going to do it again!! I almost bought an 08, but I wasn't sure on the new computer issues that they are having, so I stuck to the 07's!!
 I am so glad that I didn't get the 110, just to many issues for me!!

Later
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 24 queries.